Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

penismightier posted:

I hate the comic covers on stuff like Make Way For Tomorrow, but man are they ever appropriate for Del Toro's work.

also Devil's Backbone is better than Pan Labyrinth.

I liked them both about equally. Del Toro's a guy whose movies I wish I liked more, since he seems so passionate about everything he touches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#664: The Life of Oharu (BR/DVD, 7/9)

•New high-definition digital film restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Introductory commentary by scholar Dudley Andrew
•Mizoguchi’s Art and the Demimonde, an illustrated audio essay featuring Andrew
•Kinuyo Tanaka’s New Departure, a 2009 film by Koko Kajiyama documenting the actor’s 1949 goodwill tour of the United States
•New English subtitle translation
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Gilberto Perez

#665: Babette's Feast (BR/2-disc DVD, 7/23)

•New 2K digital film restoration, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•New interview with actor Stéphane Audran
•Karen Blixen: Storyteller, a 1995 documentary about the author of the film’s source story, who wrote under the pen name Isak Dinesen
•New visual essay by filmmaker Michael Almereyda
•New interview with sociologist Priscilla Parkhurst Ferguson about the significance of cuisine in French culture
•Trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Mark Le Fanu and Dinesen’s 1950 story

#666: The Devil's Backbone (BR/2-disc DVD, 7/30)

•New 2K digital film restoration, approved by director Guillermo del Toro and cinematographer Guillermo Navarro, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Audio commentary featuring Del Toro
•Video introduction by Del Toro from 2010
•New interviews with Del Toro about the process of creating the ghost Santi and the drawings and designs made in preparation for the film
•¿Que es un fantasma?, a 2004 making-of documentary
•Spanish Gothic, a 2010 interview with Del Toro about the genre and its influence on his work
•Interactive director’s notebook, with Del Toro’s drawings and handwritten notes, along with interviews with the filmmaker
•Four deleted scenes, with optional commentary
•New featurette about the Spanish Civil War as evoked in the film
•Program comparing Del Toro’s thumbnail sketches and Carlos Giménez’s storyboards with the final film
•Selected on-screen presentation of Del Toro’s thumbnail sketches alongside the sections of the final film they represent (Blu-ray edition only)
•Trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Mark Kermode

There may be more coming. Out of these three, the only one I like enough to buy is Oharu.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Ice Storm, Blu upgrade, 7/23

Lord of the Flies, new edition (BR/2-disc DVD), 7/16

•New, restored 4K digital film transfer, supervised by cameraman and editor Gerald Feil, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Audio commentary featuring director Peter Brook, producer Lewis Allen, director of photography Tom Hollyman, and Feil
•Audio recordings of William Golding reading from his novel Lord of the Flies, accompanied by the corresponding scenes from the film
•Deleted scene, with optional commentary and reading by Golding
•Interview with Brook from 2008
•Collection of behind-the-scenes material, featuring home movies, screen tests, outtakes, and stills
•New interview with Feil
•Excerpt from Feil’s 1972 documentary The Empty Space, showcasing Brook’s theater methods
•Something Queer in the Warehouse, a piece composed of never-before-seen footage shot by the boy actors during production, with new voice-over by Tom Gaman, who played Simon
•Trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Geoffrey Macnab and an excerpt from Brook’s book The Shifting Point

Don't need either of these. Light month for me.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Wow, that Lord of the Flies disc is stacked.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Oh man, Lord of the Flies looks fantastic, although I can probably hold off buying it for awhile. Saving my money for box sets come the July sale.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
That's not Mignola's signature. I think that's Guy Davis.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I like The Ice Storm a little less everytime I watch it, but I'm still an Ang Lee fanatic so I'll probably pick up the Blu-ray, especially since I never got the DVD so the features will be all new to me.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
Soft month. The Devil's Backbone will likely be a November 50% B&N purchase -- the rest I can do without. I'm still hoping Criterion will give us a nice release of Mizoguchi's A Geisha.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Devils backbone has 666 on it's spine. nice one.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Repo Man finally comes out tomorrow--I'm looking forward to the release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y13LOuBgtOY

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

Well well well, guess who got repo man early...

Also the packaging is awesome, but the disc is by far the best part of it

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
Why won't they finally release the Eraserhead blu-ray already? This is killing me.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Watched Army of Shadows tonight and really enjoyed the film. Why did this get buried and never released in the US when it came out in 1969? It's definitely one of my favorite Melville films now.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mod sassinator posted:

Watched Army of Shadows tonight and really enjoyed the film. Why did this get buried and never released in the US when it came out in 1969?
That's a complicated subject, but the short version is that the film didn't do well in France at the time and so it wasn't perceived, in France or internationally, as an important film. Why was this? The film's sensibilities are essentially pro-Establishment: it's patriotic in a fairly conventional way, and it presents de Gaulle in a very favourable light. But when it was released France was in the middle of massive civil unrest. There was a huge public strike in '68, and de Gaulle resigned the French Presidency in April of '69 amid increasing unpopularity. So it Melville's film just didn't reflect the public sentiments of the time when it was released. Imagine a patriotic American war film featuring Richard Nixon as a heroic role model being released right around Watergate. Kinda like that.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

SubG posted:

Imagine a patriotic American war film featuring Richard Nixon as a heroic role model being released right around Watergate.

Speaking of which, I watched Secret Honor last night and I'd recommend it. I wish I knew more about the period as I feel I would've gotten more out of the film with a better knowledge of the Watergate conspirators and some of the conspiracies that Nixon discusses but it stands as a great character piece. The film is entirely monologue and manages to be a compelling performance due entirely to Phillip Baker Hall's performance as Nick Dixon uh, uh Richard Nixon.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
It sure was a confusing night when I watched Army of Shadows for the first time because I thought the De Gaulle in the movie was Hitler. My friend and I couldn't figure out why all the main characters suddenly turned into double agents.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cloks posted:

Speaking of which, I watched Secret Honor last night and I'd recommend it. I wish I knew more about the period as I feel I would've gotten more out of the film with a better knowledge of the Watergate conspirators and some of the conspiracies that Nixon discusses but it stands as a great character piece. The film is entirely monologue and manages to be a compelling performance due entirely to Phillip Baker Hall's performance as Nick Dixon uh, uh Richard Nixon.

God drat, I love Secret Honor.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

hell yes!

(I Married a Witch)

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Criterion's Hulu channel just dropped a bunch of movies into their two-week long set of free Cannes winners.

It was initially 10 movies and they've now added another 17 plus some special features.
http://www.hulu.com/browse/picks/criterion-picks-cannes-winners

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Does Criterion usually announce when one of their titles is going to go out of print? Had I known The Man Who Fell to Earth was going to go away, I would've snapped it up.

Or maybe I'm just used to Disney using GOING BACK INTO THE VAULT FOREVER!!! scare tactics.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
They usually make some sort of announcement. Just not too long ago a bunch of Melville's went out of print along with some others last March. I believe The Man Who Fell to Earth has been gone for a while now.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Hector Beerlioz posted:

They usually make some sort of announcement. Just not too long ago a bunch of Melville's went out of print along with some others last March. I believe The Man Who Fell to Earth has been gone for a while now.

Oh, I know - I just keep wondering if I'll find a new copy for $50 or under on eBay or something. (Yeah, right.)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Two Worlds posted:

Why won't they finally release the Eraserhead blu-ray already? This is killing me.

They might be holding out for an October release like they did Rosemary's Baby.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Red posted:

Oh, I know - I just keep wondering if I'll find a new copy for $50 or under on eBay or something. (Yeah, right.)

Track down the DVD if you want, it comes with the book it's based on!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

If the internet sleuthing at cf.org is correct, today's announcements are going to make me very, very happy

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

FitFortDanga posted:

If the internet sleuthing at cf.org is correct, today's announcements are going to make me very, very happy

I seem to be having problems accessing the site. What're they predicting?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

kaujot posted:

I seem to be having problems accessing the site. What're they predicting?

"Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome."

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
My heart is flooded with all kinds of good emotions right now.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Red posted:

"Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome."

Son of a bitch, I'm sick of these dolphins.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Red posted:

:neckbeard: Man, that's gonna look awesome.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Er, no, not Zissou. That may be coming and I'd be mildly happy about it, but that's not one of their finds.

Mahanagar
Charulata
Seconds
To Be Or Not to Be
Early Fassbinder Eclipse

It's the first two I'm over the moon about. Both are in my top 10 movies of all time. Personally I don't care much about the other three, but they'll be popular announcements if true.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 15, 2013

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I have only heard of Seconds. I'll show myself out. :smith:

(Well, obviously I've heard of Fassbinder, but without knowing the titles included I'm excluding him from this)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

Er, no, not Zissou. That may be coming and I'd be mildly happy about it, but that's not one of their finds.

Daw.

I was looking in the rumor subforum, with lots of people chiming in about Zissou.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Red posted:

Daw.

I was looking in the rumor subforum, with lots of people chiming in about Zissou.

Why would you break my heart like that?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

kaujot posted:

Why would you break my heart like that?

Hey now, Zissou is my favorite film, I'm not trying to troll. :smith:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#445 - THE EARRINGS OF MADAME DE... (BR, 8/6)

•Blu-Ray upgrade

#667 - SECONDS (BR/DVD, 8/13)

•New 4K digital film restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Audio commentary featuring director John Frankenheimer
•Actor Alec Baldwin on Frankenheimer and Seconds
•New program on the making of Seconds, featuring interviews with Evans Frankenheimer, the director’s widow, and actor Salome Jens
•Interview with Frankenheimer from 1971
•New visual essay by film scholars R. Barton Palmer and Murray Pomerance
•PLUS: An essay by critic David Sterritt

#668 - THE BIG CITY (BR/2-disc DVD, 8/20)

•New 2K digital film restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•New interview with actor Madhabi Mukherjee
•Satyajit Ray and the Modern Woman, a new interview program featuring Ray historian Suranjan Ganguly
•The Coward (1965), a feature film directed by Ray that also addresses modern female identity and stars Mukherjee and Soumitra Chatterjee
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by scholar Chandak Sengoopta and an interview with Ray from the 1980s by his biographer Andrew Robinson

#669 - CHARULATA (BR/DVD, 8/20)

•New 2K digital film restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•New interview program with actors Madhabi Mukherjee and Soumitra Chatterjee
•Adapting Tagore, a new interview program featuring Indian film scholar Moinak Biswas and Bengali literature historian Supriya Chaudhuri
•Archival audio interview with director Satyajit Ray by film historian Gideon Bachmann
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Philip Kemp and a 1980s interview with Ray by his biographer Andrew Robinson

#670 - TO BE OR NOT TO BE (BR/2-disc DVD, 8/27)

•New, restored 2K digital film transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•New audio commentary featuring film historian David Kalat
•Lubitsch le patron, a 2010 French documentary on director Ernst Lubitsch’s career
•Two episodes of The Screen Guild Theater, a radio anthology series: Variety (1940), starring Jack Benny, Claudette Colbert, and Lubitsch, and To Be or Not to Be (1942), an adaptation of the film, starring William Powell, Diana Lewis, and Sig Ruman
•Trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien
•More!

Eclipse Series 39: Early Fassbinder (5-disc DVD, 8/27)

•Love is Colder Than Death
•Katzelmacher
•Gods of the Plague
•The American Soldier
•Beware of a Holy Whore

My take:

Madame De - Excellent movie, but not one I need to own

Seconds - ditto

The Big City (Mahanagar) - OMG AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Interesting that they're including The Coward but not The Saint, which it's always paired with. Fine with me... The Coward is by far the better of the two. That cover is a loving travesty, though.

Charulata - OMG AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Odd that this is the slimmer package of the two Rays, it's the more widely acknowledged of the two.

To Be Or Not To Be - I don't like this very much.

Fassbinder - Never seen any of these, will definitely give them a look although Fassbinder is very hit or miss with me

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Hooray more Lubitsch :toot:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Saw Seconds not too long ago. I thought it was a pretty good thriller. Wouldn't mind owing it for the director commentary since I've been getting into Frankenheimer lately.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Reading a brief description of Seconds makes it sound like The Game + Eternal Sunshine... confirm/deny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
It shares a lot with those two. I'm delighted, "Seconds" is a brilliant but not generally well-known film, and the second to last scene is one of my favorite scenes in any movie.

The Ray stuff is exciting because those films have for so long needed a better presentation. They've been so neglected when it comes to home video, with lovely transfers. Even "Pather Panchali", which came out from Sony, has a muddy transfer and burned-in subtitles.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 16, 2013