Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

watt par posted:

McNulty's also a much higher-functioning person than Nick.

I think this was probably true at some point in Mcnulty's life before the show starts, but by the time we get to know him he's an alcholic who lives in what we would consider the gooniest of goon lairs. He has no furniture and sleeps on a mattress on the floor. So really the fact that he has a job that he goes to every day is the only thing separating him from Nick. If Nick had that in his life, I have no doubt he'd be able to show up to work every day and do a good job. McNulty has no idea how to handle relationships of any kind, and would be a much better cop if he could get his personal poo poo under control. I'd say he's barely functioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Speaking of McNulty and Nick, it's only just clicked to me that the person showing Nick and his family around his old aunt's place is Jimmy's ex-wife. How the in the flying gently caress did I not notice that before.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Lugaloco posted:

Speaking of McNulty and Nick, it's only just clicked to me that the person showing Nick and his family around his old aunt's place is Jimmy's ex-wife. How the in the flying gently caress did I not notice that before.

I, just this past week, learned the words to the Psych themesong. You're not alone there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

the black husserl posted:

The only community McNulty has is "cops who rule at their jobs". That's the only group he counts himself a member of, otherwise he stands alone and doesn't mind doing so.

Outside of what was already mentioned about the Irish/Polish immigrant community experience, remember that McNulty has no problem covering for other police officers regardless of how much he personally dislikes them, because they're still part of the "family" - cops don't "snitch" on other cops, even if they're drunks or not even bothering to show up for work (or showing up drunk).

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.
The commentary on s2e6 is brilliant. It's just Dominic West and and Michael K Williams shooting the poo poo, talking about getting drunk with Idris and how they felt totally intimidated by Seth Gilliam and how Wendell Pierce showed them how to do California and New Orleans. They are just laughing and having a terrific time. They have a conversation about the Baltimore accent that I recognize from my step-mom and it makes me want to write a series based in Pittsburgh because the Pitt accent and dialect is insane.

Also, how did I not know the actor who plays Nick is Liev Schreiber's brother????

When True Blood first started, I had a hard time identifying Sheriff Andy as anything other than "Frank Sobotka." Eventually Chris Bauer just became Sheriff Andy to me, but I'm amazed, on this rewatch, how easily he's simply Frank Sobotka in my head. Dominic says Chris Bauer is wearing a fat suit the entire time, and I don't know if he is serious or not!

I did notice in this episode, though, that when D'Angelo is killed, he's strangled with the killers belt, but he's still wearing his own belt. The killer never takes it off him. So how did they assume he hung himself with someone else's belt?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

chesh posted:

The commentary on s2e6 is brilliant. It's just Dominic West and and Michael K Williams shooting the poo poo, talking about getting drunk with Idris and how they felt totally intimidated by Seth Gilliam and how Wendell Pierce showed them how to do California and New Orleans. They are just laughing and having a terrific time. They have a conversation about the Baltimore accent that I recognize from my step-mom and it makes me want to write a series based in Pittsburgh because the Pitt accent and dialect is insane.

Also, how did I not know the actor who plays Nick is Liev Schreiber's brother????

When True Blood first started, I had a hard time identifying Sheriff Andy as anything other than "Frank Sobotka." Eventually Chris Bauer just became Sheriff Andy to me, but I'm amazed, on this rewatch, how easily he's simply Frank Sobotka in my head. Dominic says Chris Bauer is wearing a fat suit the entire time, and I don't know if he is serious or not!

I did notice in this episode, though, that when D'Angelo is killed, he's strangled with the killers belt, but he's still wearing his own belt. The killer never takes it off him. So how did they assume he hung himself with someone else's belt?

It's pretty rude tbh. Borrow somebody else's belt to hang yourself. You know they're not getting it back, being evidence and all.

Randomly Specific
Sep 23, 2012

My keys are somewhere in there.
Even McNulty missed the belt clue. I bet Lester would've caught it.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

I don't understand why people think Gus is a caraciture of a "know it all editor". Sometimes people are really just that smart/no bullshit. David Simon certainly was.

I think overall the problem with Gus and the higher ups he hates just don't feel nearly as gray as every other character in the show. Gus can be all super smart and stuff but he's presented as always right, and the high ups are presented purely as selfish assholes who simply want to get an award and get out. It's very simple characterization compared to almost everyone else the Wire shows. Even Templeton in the same season gets more gray. He's a cheating douche, but you are presented with a real motivation as to why. Gus doesn't give him any interesting story leads because Gus sees him as bad news (haha) and Templeton wants a chance to prove himself, so he cheats. Wow, Gus was right about him! Gus is so smart and perfect. He's just an obvious Mary Sue for Simon to get back at his old managers. The entire show feels like it's about showing the gray in real people and imperfections, so Gus feels weirdly out of place sometimes.

Season 5 is still better television than any other show I've ever seen, but the Newsroom only Scott feels about as deep as other characters. I blame the short season but you never know. I don't see Gus getting a lot deeper with 2 extra episodes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Season 2, Episode 4: Hard Cases

Greggs posted:

If I hear the music, I'm gonna dance.

Frank is sitting staring out over the harbor at Fort Armistead, joined by Nick who he has summoned. They comment on the quality of the view, Nick wanting to know why he has been called out so early in the morning. Frank talks about "his" city - the docks, the harbor, the people who get up early in the morning to go to work... and how the Baltimore Docks are not optimally placed and what keeps them in business is their solid reputation. Ships will go the extra distance to Baltimore because they are guaranteed fast, reliable and clean service - their goods get taken off the ship, loaded on to trucks and sent on their way quickly and unmolested. There's obvious pride in Frank's voice as he talks about this, but he's an angry man this morning - a shipping can of cameras have gone missing and it's bad news, and he knows that Nick is the one responsible for it, they MUST come back, immediately. To his credit, once Nick knows he's been caught he doesn't waste time lying, he just explains that the cameras can't be returned, they've already been sold. Frank is furious but Nick's own anger quickly comes to the fire, he NEEDS the money, he can't survive on 5-6 days a month, and when Frank tells him he could have come to him for money, Nick makes the mistake of suggesting that Frank has deep pockets nowadays. Frank's rage eclipses Nick's easily, he shoves him back angrily and Nick looks terrified, despite his youth and superior height/fitness he is clearly still intimidated by his "big" Uncle Frank. Frank yells that the money isn't for him, none of what he is doing is for him, and Nick apologizes at once. Frank wants to know what Nick was thinking involving Ziggy too (it was probably Ziggy's idea) and says he'll have words with him too, but he's obviously resigned to the inevitability of the cameras being gone, and asks Nick how much money he got. Leaning the 20k is to be split three ways, Nick realizes he doesn't know Johnny 50 was involved and makes a timid attempt at humor, telling him he isn't going to snitch so gently caress you. Frank still isn't happy, but he's accepted it, reminding Nick not to let anybody flash any of the money, and tells him that it's time they "got to work".

At the prison, an anxious Warden is hearing from Officer Reynolds (A Maryland State Trooper?) about the cause of the 5 deaths overnight. The drugs they used were laced with 10-12% strychnine, and he suggests that somebody screwed up cutting/enhancing weak drugs with poison to give it a little more "kick". Media are all lined up outside the prison fences, this isn't a story that is going to go away, 1-2 deaths would eventually fade but 5 in one night is a big story, especially since - as the Warden laments - if you can't win the War on Drugs in prison, where CAN you win it? Reynolds has an unpalatable suggestion - if the Warden wants to find out who is behind this, he's going to have to offer up some kind of deal to the prisoners to "snitch", and that probably means cutting years off of sentences.

McNulty arrives at Homicide to see Bunk, passing by Colonel Rawls and offering a jaunty salute as he passes him by without a pause - Rawls stops and watches him go in disbelief at the sheer balls of the man. Inside, Landsman tries to make a joke at McNulty's expense and quickly has his mood soured when McNulty - a man on a mission and feeling good - mock-winces at the sight of the 14 Jane Does in red ink on the whiteboard. Bunk and Freamon aren't impressed with McNulty's self-amused antics, so he talks to Beadie instead, wanting whatever paperwork they have from the dead girls to help him track down the identity of the one he found. Freamon slowly begins to hand it over, but Bunk stops him, reminding him that before he goes off on his self-imposed task, he has to do something else he promised and get him Omar. McNulty isn't to be daunted today, like a junkie he's currently riding high on his new purpose in life and insists that this isn't a problem. Bunk and Freamon are surprised, he's found Omar? McNulty smirks that he never lost him and heads away with the paperwork, Bunk declaring slowly that this is bullshit... but maybe not quite believing it. Beadie is just completely confused, who is Omar?

Upstairs, Daniels finds himself in a sitation he never thought he'd be in. Burrell has called him up to his Office to make him an offer, he doesn't want him to retire. Daniels can't understand, and when Burrell tells him he's free to leave he gets up to go, only for Burrell to cast out the lure. He's offering him a chance to wipe the slate clean, and at first he tries to schmooze Daniels, admitting that he's arrogant and disloyal but maybe with time he could get a chance to shine. Daniels is no idiot and tells him he's taking the Bar Exam in a month, and once again moves to leave, but Burrell reels back on the line - why not wait a couple of years and retire on a Major's pension? If Daniels helps Burrell with his problem in the Southeastern, he can replace one of the Majors who is soon to retire. Daniels is intrigued, but he quickly picks up on why Burrell needs him. The Council makes their final vote on Police Commissioner in a week, and the Detail that Burrell wants him to lead up is a potential drugs case being driven by a personal rivalry between Stan Valchek and somebody called Frank Sobotka. Burrell wants to keep "the Polack" happy, and Daniels realizes that Valchek asked for him personally - that's the only reason he is there, Burrell doesn't see anything in him or want him around, he was happy to see him going but now he needs him. So Daniels makes a counter-offer, he'll run the Detail, but if he brings in a successful case then COMMISSIONER Burrell will give him control of a permanent Major Case Squad operating out of CID.... and Daniels will get to pick his own men. Burrell is clearly less than pleased, but Daniels notes he won't be stupid enough to fall for Burrell's tricks again, so it's this or nothing. Burrell is still getting what he wants, so let Daniels put together his list and give it to Rawls for approval, the important thing to him isn't so much that something is done, it's that Stan Valchek believes that there is. So he'll give Daniels plenty of rope, and Daniels will either hang himself with it or get him a successful drug bust like he did with the Barksdale case. Either way, Burrell is Police Commissioner and Daniels is the one with his neck on the line. There's a reason why Burrell is one step away from Police Commissioner and Daniels was just recently only a step away from leaving the Police Force forever.

In Evidence Control, McNulty has been let in amongst the racks, probably by Burns who didn't feel like looking himself. He places the photo of what he believes to be his Jane Doe's family on one of the racks, looking it over. He looks through her clothing for clues (I don't know how this affects chain of custody? Surely it's hugely contaminating the evidence?) and spots the jacket from the photo in one of the bags.

In prison, D'Angelo is sitting alone in his cell while outside other inmates discuss the Hot Shots that killed five in the previous episode - everybody is confused, amongst those who died were real lightweight users who wouldn't have been worth targeting. D'Angelo is offered some of Tae's comics from the next door cell, it's being cleared out in preparation for the next inmate.

A despondent Ziggy sits at Delores' bar, but cheers up when Nick tries to carefully hand him his cut of the money. Ziggy squawks with pleasure and holds up the money above the bar, and Nick has to force it back down out of sight as Delores and other patrons give him hard looks - where did he get that money and what for? Delores hands Nick a beer and Ziggy casually takes his photo with one of the cameras he kept for himself, and Nick asks if he has film in it. Nick is intelligent but his education is lacking, when Ziggy tells him the camera is digital he grunts that he KNOWS that, but does he have any film? Ziggy for once gets to be the one schooling Nick, as he shows him the SD Card (which he calls a computer chip :3:) and explains you can transfer the pictures to a computer. Nick drinks a shot poured by Delores and then quietly tells Ziggy not to spread any money around, and Ziggly agrees, saying the most he'll do is pick up a new part for his car. More troubling is what Nick tells him next - Frank knows. Ziggy is stunned, especially when Nick says that Horseface is probably the one who told him, and both grown men sit momentarily in joint, quiet fear of an aging, fat, balding man.

Nick explains that Frank eventually stopped yelling after he explained they'd already turned over the camera, but Ziggy knows that he isn't going to be quite as lucky, he hasn't had his turn to be yelled at yet. Nick reminds him again to lay low and keep quiet for awhile, and then asks again about the camera - no film? So he doesn't need to take it to a photo place or anything? Ziggy insists again that it all just goes on a computer, and after Nick leaves to take a piss, Ziggy brightens up, getting a brilliant (terrible) idea. Standing up as the other patrons cast him sullen looks, he pulls his pants down and takes a picture of his penis, irritating Delores who has seen entirely too much of Ziggy's junk.

McNulty sits on his mattress in his filthy room later that night, drinking a beer and listening to a series of messages left on his answer machine. His wife is rescheduling his pick-up time of the boys for his weekend so Sean can go to a birthday party of a friend - she acknowledges this eats into Jimmy's time with the boys, but that Sean wouldn't want to miss the party. Bunk is on next, demanding Omar, followed up by a reminder from his Dentist that he missed his bi-annual cleaning/check-up, followed by Bunk's current nemesis Ilene Nathan herself, pointing out that she indicted the "piece of poo poo" Bird murder case because he told her they had an eyeball witness. McNulty shuts the messages off and falls back into bed, the high he had from his newfound motivation all used up for the day.

The next morning, Nick wakes up and stumbles out of the bed over Aimee's protesting body. He staggers into the toilet, hacking and coughing as she squeezes the pillow over her own head to drown out the rather unpleasant noises emanating from him. In many ways they're like an old married couple, she admonishes him to wipe down the seat after she is sure he pissed all over it, and reminds him he needs to give her a lift to her mother's to pick up their daughter, while he complains that she'll have to hurry up and get changed because he has a ship to work this morning. But they're not a married couple, when he hears his mother thumping on the floor upstairs he warns Aimee to go out the back door and wait in the alley for him to pick her up. Annoyed, she reminds him that they have a child together, what's the big deal about revealing the spent the night together - Nick's reply is a careless, thoughtless, cruel,"They're decent people" in reference to his parents, leaving her sitting wounded in the bed. Noticing her breasts as she gets changed, he crosses back to the bed and absently squeezes one and she slaps him away, probably not feeling all that great about her status in his life at the moment and not appreciating being further demeaned by now being something for him to squeeze. He jokes that they were looking right at him and continues standing over her as she glares at him, until she finally laughs. He gives her a squeeze again and then heads upstairs to maybe get some breakfast, while his long-term girlfriend and mother of his child has to sneak out the back door and stand in a cold alleyway because his mother is "decent".

Bunk and Freamon are approaching the dead girls case from a different angle, driving back to the port with Beadie to figure out how the can would have been planned to be smuggled out of the docks in the first place. Beadie's opinion is that the best way to do this would be to work with at least one of the Checkers, but laughs at their suggestion that they go talk to them. White, black, Polish, Irish, Italian.... the Checkers are united in that not one of them will speak to the Police. They ask her how she makes a case then, and she enlightens them on exactly how policing works on the port - she patrols in her car, she writes reports. She spots a broken custom seal, she writes reports. Somebody gets crushed or injured by equipment/shipping cans, she writes reports. It's all about the paperwork, she's been doing this now for 2 years, and before that she took tolls at the Fort McHenry Tunnel. She made $22,500 a year and went home tired every day, till the day she saw a job posting for a Port Authority Officer making 33k a year. They're amused and pleased at her candor, but she reveals more - the father of her children went to Houston in 99 and hasn't made contact with them since, and she simply wouldn't have been able to make it as a single mother on 22.5. Bunk and Freamon - "natural po-lice" - exchange a look, and Bunk asks what to him seems an alien question - did she event want to be a police? In answer she smiles and just shrugs.

In the prison, D'Angelo is escorted by a guard to see Avon, who is happily playing an NBA game on his personal X-Box. The guard leaves and D'Angelo is immediately making an accusation - he could have been amongst the five dead or the others in the infirmary - Avon KNEW it was going to happen. Avon says he figured D'Angelo would be thanking him for saving his life, and insists that he isn't responsible for the Hot Shots, though he might know who is. D'Angelo is no fool, and reminds Avon that he is practically running the prison.. he KNEW. D'Angelo has a point, even outside of the deaths of the others, Avon's warning was hardly a warning, more goading him to do what Avon wanted. It's always struck me how Avon was willing to sacrifice D'Angelo if it was necessary to get his revenge on Tilghman. He can justify it as seeing if D'Angelo was too far gone/weak to resist drugs despite Avon's "warning", but the fact is that getting over on Tilghman (and what will follow from that) was more important than the life of his nephew. The fact that D'Angelo didn't take the drugs is a happy bonus, and proof to Avon that D'Angelo is "strong" and worthy of saving, but if he'd truly cared he would have been clearer about his warning even if it might have cost him the effectiveness of his plan. It's this kind of ruthlessness that has served Avon so well over the years, and it lays out as clearly as he can now - "It ain't about what happened, it's about using what happened to our advantage - play, or be played." D'Angelo only wants to hear that Avon didn't cause the Hot Shots to happen, and Avon angrily insists that he already told him so, and if he doesn't want to believe him then gently caress him. He presses on, bringing up the plan as what is important now - police and the prison are going to be looking for whoever brought the drugs into the prison, and Avon can supply D'Angelo with that name. If D'Angelo takes that name to the Assistant Warden, they can play that to their advantage. D'Angelo is clearly tempted by the offer, but finally comes to a firm decision, one similar to that he tried to make once before in the past - he wants out. He wants no part of whatever Avon is doing or planning, he just wants to be left out of it. He walks away with finality, and the pragmatic Avon doesn't try to stop him - as far as he is concerned, he gave D'Angelo the chance, it's not on him if he didn't take him up on it.

McNulty's cunning plan to reconnect with Omar is finally revealed... and it's pretty pathetic. He drives up to the burned out remains of Omar's old van, a location last used by Omar months ago before McNulty saw him leave for New York. He leaves his card under the wiper with a note asking Omar to call him, and then further proves his desperation by asking several passing school children if they've seen Omar. They stop laughing and cast suspicious glares at him as they move quietly on by.

There's plenty of noise on the docks, to Nick and La-La's pleasure everybody is working, there have been six shifts already today and for once seniority isn't a problem. They spot Ziggy nearby and pull up to him in their cart, La-La laughing at Ziggy's long leather coat. Ziggy insists it is the height of style, fine Italian leather he purchased for... $2000.

:doh:

La-La is amazed, Nick is horrified, while Ziggy plays the fool, declaring that an Africa-American like La-La should appreciate Ziggy's sense of style. Nick gets out of the cart and says goodbye to La-La who moves on, and Nick demands to know what Ziggy is thinking - he told him to keep a low profile! Ziggy can't understand what the problem is, it's just a coat, and if anybody questions him he'll just say he has it on a payment plan. He shows off how good he looks again and despite himself, Nick can't help but laugh, perhaps because he's in a good mood - not only is there plenty of work for everybody today, but The Greek's people wants to see them both, they're pleased with the digital camera job.

McNulty has been reduced to just driving around the drug corners of Baltimore. Spotting a corner, he pulls up as the dealers quickly drop anything they're holding into the nearby gutter. They press up against the wall as McNulty gets out of the car, well used to being patted down. He tells them not to worry about that today, he doesn't give a gently caress about drugs but he doesn't like littering so they can pick up what they dropped when he leaves (even now he can't resist showing off how clever and observant he is), all he wants from them is to know if they've seen Omar. He describes Omar to the baffled dealers, asking if they've seen him or anybody who might know him... or even know what he's currently driving. With a "gently caress you, Officer," one of the dealers just walks away, and the others quickly disperse too, leaving McNulty no closer to his goal.

Stringer meets with Cherry, who cuts up the drugs for distribution amongst the Organization. The latest batch from Atlanta is lower quality than the first, and won't be able to handle being cut. Stringer is upset, the drugs from Atlanta cost more and are worse quality than what they got from Ricardo, and Cherry suggests they just put it out as is. Stringer won't accept that though, this means he is losing profits, and that is unacceptable - so they'll step on it like they normally would anyway, it doesn't matter if it is poo poo, just do it. He leaves the room, leaving them to make the best of a bad situation.

Rawls is also getting bad news from his underlings, Bunk and Freamon are reporting on yet another dead end in their investigation. Their only viable angle is to investigate the Port, and that means they need to know more about how it works, including how dirty those involved in it are, how they get things in and how they get things out. Rawls doesn't agree, to him the correct method would have been to hold the boat, to have put the crewmen into interrogation rooms and to have investigated the "crime scene". Visibly concerned, Bunk and Freamon point out that they were in a city outside of their jurisdiction with no real probably cause, but Rawls says this isn't important - what is important is the perception of the case. From where he sits, it looks like his detectives hosed up, and so while they are free to investigate the case as they see fit, if the 14 Jane Does don't get cleared then he has a scapegoat or two to throw at Burrell. He leaves the office, leaving them to make the best of a bad situation.

McNulty is still driving around the seedier parts of Baltimore, still hoping for fortune to shine down on him and find Omar for him. To his great surprise, luck IS on his side. As he drives along he spots two familiar faces on the side of the road - Bubbles and Johnny are waiting at a bus-stop carefully checking plastic bags tucked into the lining of their bulky coats. He watches as they get onto the bus and follows along behind, if there is anybody in the city who knows where Omar can be found, it'll be Bubbles.

At Little Johnny's, a suited Glekas is meeting Nick and Ziggy, offering to continue working in trade out of the docks with them. Ziggy is keen but Nick is quick to lay down that they have to back away from stealing expensive products like the cameras for at least a little while, they shook things up too much with that heist. Glekas is not disappointed, he had something else in mind anyway - he has a list of what they are looking for, chemicals that are made in America and stored right there on the docks. Ziggy is confused, why not just buy them then? Because they need metric tons of the stuff, and the docks hold huge amounts of the chemicals they're after - supplies that can be chipped away at without raising suspicion like they cameras did. Ziggy cuts straight to the point, how much can they expect to be paid for this? That depends on the amount of chemicals, and Nick cuts the conversation short, saying he'll look into it before coming up with an answer. He heads out the door, followed by Ziggy who is clearly disappointed they haven't made a deal right then and there, tucking his coat close around him before heading outside.

Bubbles and Johnny leave a clothing store also with their coats pulled close - not to protect them from the weather but to hide the bags of clothes and other items they've just shoplifted. They're laughing over a successful caper when they get a rude awakening, McNulty shouting out a hello from his parked car. A walkman drops out from their clothes and they quickly gather it up, appallingly obvious as Bubbles puts on a happy face and says hello. McNulty calls them into the back of the car, quickly checking what they've stolen before reminding Bubbles that he needs to pay taxes on these "purchases". Bubbles manages a "taxation without representation?" quip, but the laughter quickly fades when McNulty tells him that the favor he wants is a location for Omar.

Neither of them have any interest in walking around the streets looking for a crazy motherfucker like Omar, and McNulty says not to worry about it, they're friends. If they're friends then McNulty can do it himself is Bubbles' reply, but McNulty makes it clear it is find Omar for him or go back in and pay for all the things just stolen (or rather, be arrested). Upset, Bubbles gets out of the car, telling McNulty to keep the Walkman, he can consider it part of his taxes.

At the prison, Levy is calmly laying out yet another deal on behalf of Avon. Avon will provide the name of the person bringing drugs into the prison as well as all the evidence they need to secure a conviction. In return, Avon's first parole hearing will take place a year into his sentence as opposed to 28 months from now, and Maryland Correctional Institute will provide support for his application based on his extraordinary cooperation. The Warden and Investigator aren't pleased, especially as Avon is supposed to be serving 7 years AND a police officer was shot during the investigation into his Organization. Avon does speak up at this, telling the investigator that he remembers the investigator's "friend" being shot and that it upset him because a police shooting is bad for everybody and would have brought more attention onto him, and that his name never came up anywhere close to the successful solving of that shooting. Levy says they can think about it but they won't meet again without an Assistant Attorney's General present, then lets an unspoken threat hang in the there. They need to solve the mystery behind these murders, because if they don't another five deaths might happen tomorrow, and another five the next day etc...

Nick returns home from a successful, busy day of work (and networking) to find his mother cooking "tuna surprise", and complains that he deserves a proper meal after spending all day climbing over two different ships. She grunts at him to go down to the bar and pick up his father, who is down there "with the horses". Nick heads back out, and finds his father sitting at the bar carefully making notes as he goes over the betting pages. The scene that follows informs us a great deal about Nick's upbringing, about the strong sense of pride and stubbornness that runs through the Sobotkas, and also the imposing figures that fathers hold for their sons in the world of the docks. Nick's father - Louis - is a retired Shipyard worker who spends every day watching the horse races and running a completely theoretical gambling system. He's still "up" $7000 despite all his ups and downs, but when Nick suggests they head out to the Pimlico racetrack when it opens so he can try out his system for real even for one day, Louis casually dismisses it as too tempting. He lights up when he hears that Nick worked on one of the ships that he himself helped build back before the dry-dock was shut down, and when Nick carefully asks him if he misses the work, Louis simply replies that they would be no point. This is a man of enormous personal integrity - perhaps maddeningly so - he seems offended when Nick tries to share a moment by telling Louis with pride that the ship he helped build still floats, grunting that OF COURSE it does. But there is genuine love and humor there too, when Nick tells him they're having "tuna surprise" for dinner he fakes a heart attack, and with a laugh the two Sobotka men get up and head out of the bar.

Daniels has brought the proposed list for his Detail to Rawls, who notes Daniels' loyalty to his own people - Freamon, Greggs and Herc are all on the list and Daniels needs Rawls' approval since they're all under Rawls' CID umbrella. Rawls corrects him, he needs his approval for EVERYBODY on the list, the Detail might be Valchek's idea but it falls under Rawls' authority. Having establishing his dominance, he then throws Daniels a bone - he has no problem with his list, he can have everybody on it... except for McNulty. Daniels who once couldn't stand McNulty's guts has come to value him, and recognizes his talents as a Detective. But Rawls is having none of it, the only way that McNulty gets off of the boat is if he quits or commits suicide - there will be nothing even remotely resembling McNulty on this Detail. Daniels accepts it, wincing slightly and asking if it is that bad, and with that out of the way Rawls informs him that the Detail is all about two Polacks pissing on each other's legs. He laughs at Daniels, noting he'd have done anything to get out of the basement, but Daniels doesn't rise to the occasion, just making a dignified exit.

Kima and Cheryl are stuck in traffic when a group of frat boys run out onto the street to talk with some young girls in the car ahead, flipping Cheryl off when she honks the horn. Pissed off, Kima prepares to leave the car but Cheryl stops her, angrily reminding her that in 5 minutes they'll be where they're going and the idiot frat boys will still be idiot frat boys. She asks Kima what a lawyer would do, Kima needs to think like a lawyer and not police, and she tries to cheer her up with the notion of Kima Greggs, Esquire. Kima, of course, has no desire to be a lawyer outside of pleasing Cheryl and making herself a better police officer, and when one of the frat boys jumps onto the hood of the car and begins unbuckling his pants she's had enough. She storms out of the car and yells at the frat boy to get down, and when he insults her she hauls him off of the hood and down hard into the ground, cuffing him as his buddies look on in dismay. She snaps at the girls in the car to move it or lose it and they quickly drive away, while Cheryl looks on in disapproval from the car.

Daniels has a similar problem to Kima, though at least so far Marla is unaware of it. At home, he's watching television where a trained dog is racing through an obstacle course - does he feel the same way about his career? Is he second-guessing his decision to hold off on his retirement? Clearly he hasn't told Marla yet, she comes downstairs and gives him a loving kiss, telling him to come upstairs to bed, for her life is bliss, she thinks he's leaving the force.

The next day, Ziggy pops in to see Johnny 50, giving him the list of chemicals. None of them are held there though, they're held at the Fairfield Terminal, and he tells Ziggy he'll get in touch with Ott's brother-in-law and see what he can do. Ziggy happily leaves, but as he does a large checker named Maui "accidentally" slides back on his chair and slams into Ziggy, spilling coffee all over his leather jacket. Ziggy is furious, while Maui sarcastically apologizes before noting loudly that it shouldn't be a problem, Ziggy can just go steal a container of baby-wipes. Ziggy isn't used to such direct, open talk from somebody who isn't direct family and looks completely at a loss, he leaves as Maui calls him a good before settling satisfied back into his chair.

Daniels has gone to see Kima, where the two joke about the dangers of their respective partners once they learn about Daniels plan. He wants her in his Detail, and he tells her that if necessary he can use her as an inside officer like they did with Prez. "If I hear the music, I'm gonna dance," she replies, and with a laugh they joke that they'll tell the other's partner the bad news.

Shamrock goes to see Stringer, who hands him a packet of throat lozenges and tells him to make sure it's left in Tilghman's car but not in an obvious place - be subtle. This is another sign of faith in Shamrock, though Stringer does call him back to make sure he actually knows what subtle means.

In a shooting gallery, Bubbles and Johnny are relaxing after shooting up, joined by another junkie named Pops who is settling in to listen to music on the Walkman they stole. Johnny is uncertain about doing McNulty's bidding but a drooling Bubbles says they have to a give a working police his due. They both laugh, while in another room Kimmy from Omar's crew is picking up information from a junkie about a new potential heist. Behind her, she hears Bubbles manage to pull himself together enough to ask Pops if he has seen "that wild boy who likes to pop that shotty?", and Pops laughing that the way to find Omar is to stand on a corner with a big-rear end package. Johnny is nodding off and Pops is already back listening to the music, but Bubbles manages to get himself up and has Johnny join him in slowly shuffling their way out of the crack den, leaving Kimmy behind to consider why a junkie is searching for Omar.

Avon and Levy are meeting with the Warden and the Maryland State Police Investigator again, joined now by an Assistant Attorney General. Levy goes over the terms of the deal once more, but they can't make a case purely on Avon's say-so. Levy says there is evidence to be found, if they search the locker, vehicle and person of Officer Tilghman they'll find the drugs. The AAG says the deal is perfectly fair, but fully reliant on them finding evidence. Avon assures them it will be found, and he and Levy leave - the investigator knows that Avon must be the one behind the Hot Shots, but the AAG replies that without proof of that, they'll just have to make the case they can.

Valchek has received ANOTHER photo of his Surveillance Van at ANOTHER port, and quickly puts it away when Daniels arrive. Happily greeting Daniels, he tells him how much Prez talks about him, and thanks him again for helping Prez out during the previous year. Daniels sucks in his cheeks for just a moment, clearly uncomfortable at the reminder of one of Prez's less than stellar moments. Valchek tells him that his gut says Frank Sobotka is involved in drugs, and that he knows for a fact his people will steal anything not nailed down. With great pride he asks if Daniels has seen "the op-site", and when Daniels says he asked the new members of the Detail to meet him here at the District, Valchek is too excited to wait and tells him to come see it with him.

Having put Bubbles on the search for Omar, McNulty feels justified in going back to hunting the identity of his dead Jane Doe. At a Church he speaks with a foreign national working in the kitchen, asking her to translate the letter he took from Evidence Control. Unfortunately for McNulty, the letter is vague, it is written for the entire family and while it is clear at some points she is writing to an older woman and at others to a child, relationships aren't mentioned and there are no last names - after all, how often do you refer to somebody in a personal letter by anything other than their first name? An elderly priest shuffles in looking for his meal and the woman says it is coming soon, and tells McNulty the best she can find in terms of identifiers is the name of a Church and a local Priest. Unfortunately the names of both are extremely common, and without an envelope she can't narrow down the location. She can sense McNulty's disappointment and stops him from taking the letter away, saying if he leaves it with her she will try to find more information.

Nick, Aimee and Ashley go for a walk along the harbor, Ashley clinging happily to Nick's hand as Aimee raises unwelcome but logical suggestions - if he isn't getting enough work at the docks, why not... work somewhere else? Nick doesn't want to hear that of course - for one thing his entire family and cultural identity is wrapped up in the docks, and for the other finding a different job elsewhere is an admission that he has failed in his manly duty to support the family (this is the same guy who went let the mother of his daughter upstairs in case his mother finds out they're having sex). He tells her he came into some back-pay he was owed from a month ago, a couple of thousand dollars.... maybe it's time for them to get a place. She's surprised, can he cover that? More than that, he tells her that they shouldn't rent a place, they should look into buying. His Aunt's old place in Covington is on the market and has apparently been done up real nice "with wood floors and everything", and he says they should look into the possibility of buying it. Hauling Ashley up, he asks her to identify the ships in the Harbor, which she does easily and accurately. The three continue on, the very picture of family bliss.

Tilghman arrives at his car only to be stopped by the Warden and the Maryland State Police, who tell him they need to search his car. He's offended, telling them that they have no cause and no right to search his car, and they clearly have no warrant. Unfortunately for him, anybody who drives their vehicle onto Department of Corrections Property is subject to being searched, and soon Tilghman's car is being emptied out, a thorough search eventually (Shamrock was subtle after all) finding the package of lozenges and the drugs inside. Tilghman is outraged, declaring that they planted the drugs, but he takes the cuffs quietly enough. He must be absolutely bewildered, he knows he didn't bring those drugs in, but that package IS how he brings them in - who knew enough to plant drugs on him in exactly the same way he brings them into the prison?

Ziggy is getting revenge on Maui, gleefully tapping away at Maui's computer while the big man is away on a break, Johnny 50 nervously warning him he'll be back at any moment. Elsewhere on the docks, Bunk, Freamon and Beadie return where frequent whistling catches their attention. Beadie explains it is a warning that police are there (similar to the lookouts used in the open drug markets in season one) and points out Horseface to them, telling them to look at his face when they ask how he got the name. They approach and he's immediately belligerent and troublesome, refusing to answer anything directly - he doesn't remember if he was the Checker for the Atlantic Light, he doesn't remember the can with the dead girls in it - when Beadie calls him on that one he elaborates that he remembers the can, but as far as he knows it was found in the stacks, not that it came off of the Atlantic Light. Irritated, they tell him to get into the car so they can continue talking Downtown, but as they turn away he replies quite simply,"No." Grumpily Bunk tells him to get in the car and he asks if he's locked up, and when they just get angrier he tells them that the only way he gets in the car is if they cuff him and lock him up... and if they're going to do that then he wants to talk to his Shop Steward so he can have an IBS Lawyer join him in the car and take part in the talks Downtown.

Bewildered at this complete lack of concern and hardline reply, they continue to argue while only a little way away Ziggy leaves the building with a spring in his step only to take a slap on the head from Frank. Startled, Ziggy demands to know what this was about and an angry Frank mimes taking a photo, and yells that if he ever pulls a stunt like that again he'll have his Union Card regardless of who his mother is. They hear the warning whistle and look over, and Frank is horrified to see the police talking with Horseface.

The Detectives leave, grumpily complaining that Horseface is kind of smart for a fat man. Inside, Maui returns from his break and starts to use his computer, only to find a picture of Ziggy's penis taking up the entire screen. It's rather sad that Maui recognizes who it belongs to instantly, and he bellows for Ziggy to "get your dick out of my computer!"

Valchek brings Daniels to "the Op-Site", followed by Greggs and Herc in another car. Where are the previous Detectives? "Dead!" snaps Valchek, with great venom explaining that he "shipped them humps" back home as soon as he could. They head inside where a very pleased Prez - showing the same sense of drama that Valchek had when HE was excited about the Detail - asks what kept them so long, and Herc jokes without a hint of irony that the great thing about the BPD is that every braindead somehow manages to land on their feet. They shake hands and Prez asks where Freamon is, Daniels explains he hasn't been told he's on the Detail yet and gets the news tomorrow. There'll be no McNulty, but Valchek says Prez is there as long as he wants him and Daniels can have anyone he wants from the Southeastern. He says his goodbyes, satisfied once again that the Detail to bring down Frank Sobotka is ready to kick into gear. Herc suggests to Daniels they pick up Carver from the Southeastern, unaware of Daniels and Carver's last meeting, and Kima asks what they're actually investigating anyway. Daniels says they'll see where the case takes them, maybe they can pick up a few drug cases out of the port.... whatever it is, it beats the hell out of the Evidence Control Unit.

That night, Bubbles and Johnny are heading down the street, Johnny babbling about a dog and a woman with her period when Bubbles spots an old radiator. Eagerly he approaches, saying they can get $10 for it at a scrapyard. Johnny thinks they'll break their backs trying to move it, and Bubbles sighs that he's trying to school him, but as he tries to work out how best to get a hold of it, he's left himself completely open to a well-laid trap. Omar comes up on him from behind, aiming his shotgun at Bubbles and Johnny. So.... they've been asking for him?

The following says EVERYTHING about the intercut scenes that follow - no words are spoken, there's nothing but the sound of music playing and the scratching of utensils against plate. It's glorious:

McNulty has given the Walkman that Bubbles gave him to his estranged wife, Elena. Cleaning up after dinner, they crack jokes about how quiet the boys are upstairs before Elena brings up the separation agreement, did he read it yet? He did, he had a lawyer look at it for him, and they told him not to sign it - it gives far too much to Elena, more money than he could ever afford or would ever be asked to pay in the event of a divorce. Elena is pissed off, is that what SHE said? Clearly she thinks McNulty is still with Pearlman, but he surprises her by handing over the agreement anyway, signed despite his lawyer's protests. He says he doesn't want to argue about money, he just wants to get back together with her.

Shamrock arrives at the upstairs office of the Funeral Parlor where he happily (and loudly) proclaims to Stringer than he was subtle. He turns on the television to the news, where the Assistant Warden is announcing the arrest of Corrections Officer Tilghman in relation to the deaths of the 5 prisoners and talking about how the Department of Corrections will combat corruption wherever they find it. Shamrock is enjoying the fruits of his labor, but Stringer just watches silently before switching it off and saying he has to study, he has a midterm coming up. Shamrock leaves, but once he is gone Stringer sits back, looking pleased.

Beadie takes Freamon and Bunk to Delores' Bar, where they've decided to make it clear to the port workers that they're not going away. Heading up to the bar, Bunk smokes a cigar and catches Horseface's eye. Horseface heads down to the jukebox but Bunk follows him, in his face, taking over selecting the song despite Horseface putting in the money, saying he can't deal with any country poo poo. With the music playing, he gives Horseface a,"What now, motherfucker?" look and then joins Freamon and Beadie heading around the bar past Nick and Johnny 50 to where Frank is joking happily with another Checker. He's pleased to see Beadie but then spots the other two, who tell him they're just going to have a drink or two and then move on... what about him? Frank puts on an indifferent front and says he'll be leaving after this one, but when he turns he's visibly alarmed. Nick is watching carefully as Frank finishes his shot and takes a closer look at Freamon and Bunk - he doesn't recognize them as Port Police. When they tell him they're Homicide and investigating the dead girls in the can, he insists that he heard their deaths were accidental. He asks them to excuse them as he tries to leave, and pushes past when they don't move, Bunk staring holes through him. Frank heads into the toilet where he stares at himself in the mirror, distressed and racked with a mixture of guilt, loathing and fear. His eyes dart to the side and he seems to draw strength from what he sees, taking several deep breaths to center himself before heading back out into the bar. What did he see? A picture from the glory days - hard men working, doing an honest day's work. "Frank's city", the one that really doesn't exist any more, the one he is fooling himself he can rebuild.

14 dead girls may just be the price that has to be paid for that.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I'm ceding this thread to Jerusalem for the entirety of Season 2. I'll be back for Season 3.

What a great write-up, man. You have such a knack for this.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Another great write-up.

I've moved onto "Storm Warnings" and just realised something I thought was pretty funny. So Valchek goes to the FBI to bring in Frank Sobotka. The FBI then roll out to meet up with Daniels in his HQ in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. Daniels, not knowing they were coming, must have thought that they were there to ask about the money from his Eastern District days since Burrell revealed it last season and might've let slip to Valchek. Cue a look of pants-making GBS threads terror from Daniels, not knowing that it has nothing to do with the money whatsoever.

I might've misread that little scene, but I like to think it was intentional.

Randomly Specific
Sep 23, 2012

Burrell's line about Daniels being 'arrogant and disloyal' always stuck out to me because it so openly shows what kind of world Burrell lives in. By the time Burrell is moving toward being commissioner, there's pretty much zero concern for any sort of actual work or productivity from the department, it's entirely about working within the system and advancing. He gives absolutely zero thought to the notion that Daniels was acting in the interests of the case or the job, but rather that Daniels was looking to polish his own star and leapfrog ahead. It's not the stats, per se, it's just that those are the metrics by which they advance. The game at Burrell's level is to be the smart-rear end pawn who makes it to the other end of the board.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jerusalem posted:

Nick realizes he doesn't know Johnny 50 was involved and makes a timid attempt at humor, telling him he isn't going to snitch so gently caress you.

I don't think that was humor as much as Nick just going with the stevedore code - remember how in the last ep. of season 2 he instantly goes "I don't know why you have Horse up there, he doesn't know poo poo and I'll testify to that" when he sees the cops' evidence.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
The 'subtle' exchange between Shamrock and Stringer is one of my favorite little moments in the series in the way that it's mirrored (subtly of course!) in two other exchanges later in the series; clearly, one of the writers found the word and concept of subtlety amusing.

The first exchange is between Herc and Colicchio, I forget in which episode, with Herc saying "Subtle, like the 'b' in subtle", to which Colicchio replies "There's a 'b' in subtle?". The second is between Omar and Butchie when Omar is planning the heist that'll set him up for life and Omar declaring that he'll need soldiers, to which Butchie takes (light!) offense, telling Omar "You have soldiers right here!" and Omar, tactfully, replies "I don't know Butch... I'm thinking of going in a little subtle on this one. You feel me?". We then see what Omar had in mind when Kimmy makes her return, leading to this pearl of an exchange between Omar, Kimmy and Butchie: Omar asks Kimmy, "So you remember how to do this?" to which Kimmy responds with a wry smile "I reckon it'll come back to me" and Omar turns to Butchie, practically beaming with pride, and says "See, Butch? Subtle!"

I love that exchange to death. There's another minor reference that's repeated three times in the series that's even more subtle than this one, which I'll get to once we get there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

I don't think that was humor as much as Nick just going with the stevedore code - remember how in the last ep. of season 2 he instantly goes "I don't know why you have Horse up there, he doesn't know poo poo and I'll testify to that" when he sees the cops' evidence.

Oh he's definitely sticking with the no snitching code, but he isn't brash and defiant about it, he has a nervous smile and is hoping that Frank will share in the humor. It's really interesting to see how intimidated Nick and Ziggy are by their fathers - I think Nick feels it is easier to talk to Frank who is "only" his uncle, but he's also concerned about crossing him or getting on his wrong side. There's clearly a great deal of respect there, even if both he and Ziggy have mocked the old-timers and their tales of the way things used to be "back in the day".

Things being better "Back in the day" is a common theme throughout the series, with some justification. Baltimore used to be a city of industry, community, working man pride and strong family units. The lingering death of industry fractured the community, working man pride became frustration, families were broken up or never properly begun (look at Nick, sending the mother of his child out to wait in an alley) and we see it affecting the city not only at the docks but in the inner-city neighborhoods. Of course there was also segregation, domestic abuse, women were second-class citizens etc, but people tend to only remember the good things about the "good old days".

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Lugaloco posted:

Another great write-up.

I've moved onto "Storm Warnings" and just realised something I thought was pretty funny. So Valchek goes to the FBI to bring in Frank Sobotka. The FBI then roll out to meet up with Daniels in his HQ in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. Daniels, not knowing they were coming, must have thought that they were there to ask about the money from his Eastern District days since Burrell revealed it last season and might've let slip to Valchek. Cue a look of pants-making GBS threads terror from Daniels, not knowing that it has nothing to do with the money whatsoever.

I might've misread that little scene, but I like to think it was intentional.

This is great!! I think you're right.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

escape artist posted:

This is great!! I think you're right.

Yeah I agree, it's something I never really picked up on. It's kind of neat that despite the great strides he has made as a moral and upright man, he probably spends a great deal of his life second-guessing himself that one day it's all going to come tumbling down when somebody uncovers his shady past. That said, I love the way he stares down Burrell's threat to do just that in season one - when he reads the situations and decides that Burrell fears a scandal more than he wanted to keep Daniels under his thumb.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is also the first time we see Stringer in the same room with the drugs. Which is odd considering his initial careful manipulation of Avon and subsequent takeover of the Barksdale crew, and the fact they'd been investigated by police before, that he'd expose himself to that extent.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

watt par posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is also the first time we see Stringer in the same room with the drugs. Which is odd considering his initial careful manipulation of Avon and subsequent takeover of the Barksdale crew, and the fact they'd been investigated by police before, that he'd expose himself to that extent.

Stringer is also in a position where he has nobody he trusts enough to handle this side of things for him or make the right decision on his behalf - Cherry would have sent out the drugs uncut because of their poor quality and cost them a great deal of money. He's bringing on Shamrock to join Tank and Country as lieutenants, but he's clearly feeling the loss of Bey, Bird, Stinkum and even Savino. Avon had Stringer to insulate him from the drugs, but Stringer doesn't have a similar associate he can place great trust in and use to insulate himself from these big decisions.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
drat Jerusalem. Was really hoping you'd include my personal wire eureka movement with Nick's father. He doesn't play, therefore he doesn't lose!

e: Only reason I'm bummed is because I mentioned it waaaay back in I think the earlier thread and you personally commented on it. Doesn't really matter to be honest, I'm never mad talking the wire.

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 22, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Frostwerks posted:

drat Jerusalem. Was really hoping you'd include my personal wire eureka movement with Nick's father. He doesn't play, therefore he doesn't lose!

:aaa:

This is what I loving love about this show. I've rewatched it so many times and I still pick up new things each time, and still get blown away by the things other people pick up on and notice.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
^That is amazing.

Fun fact: Another actress was cast as Aimee, but that 5 second topless scene made her drop out, and we got the Aimee we know now.

Frostwerks posted:

Only reason I'm bummed is because I mentioned it waaaay back in I think the earlier thread and you personally commented on it. Doesn't really matter to be honest, I'm never mad talking the wire.
Jerusalem you're so thoughtless :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Frostwerks posted:

e: Only reason I'm bummed is because I mentioned it waaaay back in I think the earlier thread and you personally commented on it. Doesn't really matter to be honest, I'm never mad talking the wire.

Haha, I read and post a lot of things, it should come as no surprise that I'd sometimes forget things I'd previously been astonished to learn - sorry! :)

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for the great write ups! I had given up on the show after skimming through the first three seasons, but I decided to go back and finish the series after reading the write ups. After finishing seasons 4 and 5, I decided to rewatch the whole thing. Spoilers ahead, so please don't read if you haven't seen the series all the way through. I love how big the scope of the show is. I could tell you the basic plot and most of the major events that happen, but all the behind the scenes back stabbing and scheming takes me a second to process (assuming I didn't miss it in the first place). Now, I'm tempted to watch the series all the way through for the 3rd time just for the hell of it.

I really wish Marlo would have met his end, but that makes me love the show even more.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 22, 2013

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Bioshuffle posted:

Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for the great write ups! I had given up on the show after skimming through the first three seasons, but I decided to go back and finish the series after reading the write ups. After finishing seasons 4 and 5, I decided to rewatch the whole thing. Spoilers ahead, so please don't read if you haven't seen the series all the way through. I love how big the scope of the show is. I could tell you the basic plot and most of the major events that happen, but all the behind the scenes back stabbing and scheming takes me a second to process (assuming I didn't miss it in the first place). Now, I'm tempted to watch the series all the way through for the 3rd time just for the hell of it.

I really wish Marlo would have met his end, but that makes me love the show even more.

Marlo not getting his is kinda like Chigurh not getting his at the end of NCfOM. Sometimes the bad guys don't get their proper comeuppance. It drives people loving bananas.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Thanks for picking up on how much of an rear end in a top hat Nick is. "They're decent people". Well at least someone is, jerkbag.

Frostwerks posted:

Marlo not getting his is kinda like Chigurh not getting his at the end of NCfOM. Sometimes the bad guys don't get their proper comeuppance. It drives people loving bananas.

Marlo gets his in the most brutal way ever. Nobody remembers him but the legend of Omar will never die. Sure he got lucky taking that corner but Marlo is dead + forgotten within a year.

Lotta people wore the crown for a short time...

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 22, 2013

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Thanks for picking up on how much of an rear end in a top hat Nick is. "They're decent people". Well at least someone is, jerkbag.

Marlo gets his in the most brutal way ever. Nobody remembers him but the legend of Omar will never die. Sure he got lucky taking that corner but Marlo is dead + forgotten within a year.

Lotta people wore the crown for a short time...

Yeah I loved the ending Marlo had. He reached his top, which was all he gave a poo poo about, and ended up meaning nothing. He was just another kingpin in a long line of kingpins. Marlo got his in the worst way. The only person in Marlo's world that really would have appreciated his opportunity at the end was Stringer, but Stringer was undone before he was able to reach that level.

The fact that he completely pisses away everything he has at the end for a corner that means nothing really shows you Marlo is hosed. He might not get his onscreen, but you know it won't be long before he's back in the game and done forever (part of his deal was that he'd never be in the game again or he'd be taken down, right?), and it'll be someone else's turn to be the king.

vv That too. The best thing Season 5 does is show how everything is cyclical. That's what I appreciate Season 5 for the most. it's story isn't as compelling as other ones, but it wraps everything up in a circular bow extremely well. For as hard hitting as all the ending montages are, Season 5's is probably one of the best artistic statements the series offers.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 22, 2013

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Frostwerks posted:

Also a lot of people don't really get what an ending like that is trying to say, some just see it as a gently caress you to the audience. But Marlo and Chigurh are supposed to represent constants; forces of nature that have always been there(in the context of the show/movie) and will never come to an end. It doesn't matter if Marlo is arrested or killed, there would be a new Marlo to take his place and the community would hardly notice there had been any change. Chigurh could have been killed any number of times, but the forces he symbolizes would overwhelm the naive Moss regardless. Its like surviving a plane crash and thinking to yourself "I defeated Death!" No, you didn't. Death has all the time in the world to wait.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Frostwerks posted:

That's a real fitting analogy. The scene of Marlo hanging out with all the "legit" business people before leaving to return to the streets seemed like a good call back to the scene with the school kids in the steak house.

Wouldn't people remember Marlo as the person behind all the murders in the row houses? It seemed like Snoop was saying she took down Omar so that Marlo will be remembered as the person who brought down Omar.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

Wouldn't people remember Marlo as the person behind all the murders in the row houses? It seemed like Snoop was saying she took down Omar so that Marlo will be remembered as the person who brought down Omar.

Because Omar's was always out there facing down everything that came his way, his legend grew to the point that when he DID die nobody was willing to believe or accept that it was in any way mundane. People tried to take credit for it, conflicting stories arose and so by the end of the final episode you have two dudes on the corner enthusiastically talking about Omar going toe to toe with a half dozen highly paid and well-armed New York assassins. Because Marlo was perceived to have been hiding from Omar, it helped grow Omar's legend on the street while also denting Marlo's own desperately valued reputation. Instead of people remembering Marlo as the terrifying, unreasonable shark who never stopped moving and rolled over everything in his way, they remembered him as just another guy who talked a good game but ran away and hid the moment the going got tough (Omar out on the street openly calling him out), and that's if they remembered him at all. Wannabe Kings and tough guys are a dime a dozen on the street, it takes a truly exceptional individual to stand out and be noticed. Marlo could have been that, but Chris and Snoop's efforts to protect him cost him that.

The same thing almost happens to Omar too, in season one he is constantly taking the fight to the Barksdales, including coming within a hair of actually taking out Avon himself. But after he realizes the offer of a truce is their plan to take him out he heads to New York, and in season 2 you hear people early on talking about him as either dead or a coward - "Didn't Avon's people kill him?" "I heard Avon ran him out of town" etc. It's only after he gets back in the mix and continues his war openly against the Barksdales (and later Marlo) that he reestablishes the legend/reputation that continues on after he dies.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Febreeze posted:

The fact that he completely pisses away everything he has at the end for a corner that means nothing really shows you Marlo is hosed. He might not get his onscreen, but you know it won't be long before he's back in the game and done forever (part of his deal was that he'd never be in the game again or he'd be taken down, right?), and it'll be someone else's turn to be the king.

The fun thing about that is that Levy threatened to reveal the poo poo about their illegal wiretap if they tried to do that, so that ending means that Daniels, Rhonda, Lester, and especially McNulty are completely hosed.

Randomly Specific
Sep 23, 2012

Mooktastical posted:

The fun thing about that is that Levy threatened to reveal the poo poo about their illegal wiretap if they tried to do that, so that ending means that Daniels, Rhonda, Lester, and especially McNulty are completely hosed.

Quite possible, or Marlo without his support network of Chris and Snoop could've just caught a bullet. I doubt the former coop members would tolerate his return for very long unless he had the muscle to back it.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jerusalem posted:

Because Omar's was always out there facing down everything that came his way, his legend grew to the point that when he DID die nobody was willing to believe or accept that it was in any way mundane. People tried to take credit for it, conflicting stories arose and so by the end of the final episode you have two dudes on the corner enthusiastically talking about Omar going toe to toe with a half dozen highly paid and well-armed New York assassins.

This as well is paralleled to that part in season 2 I believe when Cheese's man shoots the young guy on the corner down. They were talking about some badass gangster that had forced the police to hole up in station who were begging him to let them be. Name of Bumpy, I recall?

Of course this probably never happened, but rumor and reality are often inseparable for some folks. In the end, myth endures.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Febreeze posted:

Yeah I loved the ending Marlo had. He reached his top, which was all he gave a poo poo about, and ended up meaning nothing.

It weirds people out because Marlo is definitely happy at the end, but that's exactly what damns him. Who could be happy as a low level street killer, running up on random corners? Only someone really hosed up, a pure force of greed, a person with nothing inside. A bird lover.

Avon and Stringer were different. They had dreams.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Frostwerks posted:

This as well is paralleled to that part in season 2 I believe when Cheese's man shoots the young guy on the corner down. They were talking about some badass gangster that had forced the police to hole up in station who were begging him to let them be. Name of Bumpy, I recall?

Of course this probably never happened, but rumor and reality are often inseparable for some folks. In the end, myth endures.

You mean when Tree shoots down the guy who cheated in the dog fight? That was Season 3.

colbamf
Jan 10, 2011

escape artist posted:

You mean when Tree shoots down the guy who cheated in the dog fight? That was Season 3.

I never did understand that. How did he cheat?

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

colbamf posted:

I never did understand that. How did he cheat?

My understanding is that he rubbed down his dog before the fight with a chemical or something that made Cheese's dog slower.

As a side note, as utterly loathsome a character as Cheese is I never hate him as much as during the entire dog fight sequence. I know that wasn't their intent but still.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Nah dog fighting's some barbaric poo poo.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

Frostwerks posted:

They were talking about Bumpy Johnson, Harlem numbers/dope boss back when. The police were harassing the poo poo out of him with 24 hour lockstep surveillance, and he finally got so irritated by it that he went down to the local precinct and bawled them out, then refused to leave until they promised to stop following him everywhere. He ended up getting arrested for it, but the judge threw out the charges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

On an unrelated note, I just started reading Clockers and it's fun to encounter some of the stuff that got put into The Wire, like the cop asking the guy where to get a sideways baseball cap or the dealers bumping into cops at the movies and chatting casually with them like they were work colleagues.