Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I remember really disliking RE5 originally, but enjoying the PC version a ton just because you don't feel as hamstrung by the controls in a game as heavy-action as 5. Does the PC port of RE6 do the same, or are the issues more comprehensive than just "limited control scheme doesn't suit the action"?

Also Revelations actually looks pretty rad. Really wish they hadn't jacked up the price, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Resident Evil 6 is excellent with mouse and keyboard except for those annoying rotating stick QTEs which are replaced with mashing WASD in a row constantly.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

GUI posted:

Resident Evil 6 is excellent with mouse and keyboard except for those annoying rotating stick QTEs which are replaced with mashing WASD in a row constantly.

Actually, you only have to push one of wasd. You can do most of the QTE's perfectly fine by mashing A only, or even mashing all of the keys at once. It lets you do the rotation QTE's really really quickly too!

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Goddammit, that would have saved me 95% of my deaths.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Kind of makes me wish the Steam Summer sale wasn't so far off, I'm kind of in the mood for a new Resident Evil right now, but not to the point of $40.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Predator and Survivors modes were released for RE6 on PC. It wasn't mentioned in the patch notes, as far as I can tell, but the options are there now.

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot
I've yet to find an onslaught game since release. Nobody seems to be playing it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

PureRok posted:

Predator and Survivors modes were released for RE6 on PC. It wasn't mentioned in the patch notes, as far as I can tell, but the options are there now.

The DLC is in the Steam Store now too, $4 each like Onslaught mode is.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Wooph posted:

I've yet to find an onslaught game since release. Nobody seems to be playing it.

I've seen one public multiplayer game on mercenaries ever on PC. Not really a problem cause solo is fun, but drat ... if I didn't get the season pass for DLC, I certainly wouldn't pay $4 each for something that is dead on arrival.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I'm happy I was able to swindle convince a buddy to pre-order this game with me, so I have at least one person to regularly play all these modes with.

It's just frustrating because this game is good. It's fun, there's a decent amount of content, and it's cheaper than most games. But everyone hates it because I guess the console launch was buggy or something?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Geight posted:

I'm happy I was able to swindle convince a buddy to pre-order this game with me, so I have at least one person to regularly play all these modes with.

It's just frustrating because this game is good. It's fun, there's a decent amount of content, and it's cheaper than most games. But everyone hates it because I guess the console launch was buggy or something?

Pacing feels really uneven. Chapters sometimes drag, even when I play with other people. It helps to just play an hour a day; that's how I've been chipping away at Chris' scenario. Other than that it's awesome and I can't see bitching about it in its current state\price.

However, I think if I paid $60, it was buggy and the levels felt uneven, I would have been a lot more annoyed than I currently am. I don't think I'd still be going on about it, but who knows?

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Well it's similar to how the later dawn of war games were for me, not really in it for the "thrilling campaigns" but for the cheap little minigame they didn't spend nearly enough manhours on, but is still fun as heck.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Crowetron posted:

Sheva and Josh "THE LEGEND" Stone were probably having some crazy-rear end adventure across the Savannah while Chris was loving around in Not-Russia. Like, zombie lions and mutant wildebeests all over the place, and Josh is trying to fend off a six-headed giraffe with a flamethrower while Sheva solves an elaborate nonsensical emblem puzzle so they can get into abandoned Umbrella laboratory #73 or something.

Edit: holy gently caress, how did RE5 NOT have a hydra-raffe? Come on, Capcom, drat.

Why are you not working for Capcom

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Crowetron posted:

Sheva and Josh "THE LEGEND" Stone were probably having some crazy-rear end adventure across the Savannah while Chris was loving around in Not-Russia. Like, zombie lions and mutant wildebeests all over the place, and Josh is trying to fend off a six-headed giraffe with a flamethrower while Sheva solves an elaborate nonsensical emblem puzzle so they can get into abandoned Umbrella laboratory #73 or something.

Edit: holy gently caress, how did RE5 NOT have a hydra-raffe? Come on, Capcom, drat.

I like to think that's why Josh taunts by saying he's a legend and it would also explain the scar on his face: he got into a fight with a tiger and got mauled or something in Africa.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Lunethex posted:

I like to think that's why Josh taunts by saying he's a legend and it would also explain the scar on his face: he got into a fight with a tiger and got mauled or something in Africa.

Tigers aren't native to Africa, though.
:goonsay:

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Geight posted:

The problem is that it's an action-heavy game that still uses most of the same methodical control designs as something slower paced like RE4, so when you're using a controller it takes much longer to line up your shots right, which they didn't seem to account for. This is just going by my experiences with RE5 though.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

miscellaneous14 posted:

The problem is that it's an action-heavy game that still uses most of the same methodical control designs as something slower paced like RE4, so when you're using a controller it takes much longer to line up your shots right, which they didn't seem to account for. This is just going by my experiences with RE5 though.

I don't think this is much of a problem. The guns in this game exist purely as a means to set up melee - if you're gunning everything down you're doing it wrong. That said they've changed aiming enough in RE6 (you can move and aim in this one afterall) that they've made a decent effort to move away from the controls of RE4/RE6 in a way that accounts for the enemy mobility.

If there's a problem it's that the game isn't any fun if you play it as a pure shooter but, it never tells you to do otherwise.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Lunethex posted:

He fought a zombie elephant and got injured because there was no music to distract the elephant.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
The only DLC I got was Onslaught, and only once have I gotten into a game with someone not on my friend list. It's a drat shame too, since having what's basically Tetris' vs mode, except with ZOMBIE SHOOTING really is an excellent idea in theory AND fun in practice too! From what I've seen of the other modes, they seem mostly interesting in theory, but with the difficulty of finding ONE guy to play against, I can't imagine finding at least five others for the other modes will be any fun.

Honestly, if they had these modes at launch with the game, multiplayer might actually be a proper thing on the PC compared to how it feels now. Maybe next time. :smith:

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Just got the PC version and completing Leon's first chapter totally killed any desire I had to continue playing. Please tell me it gets better from here on out because so far it's not even close to RE5's mediocrity.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I would recommend this order to play the chapters:

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada Campaign

This doesn't really answer your question, but since I really liked both RE5 and RE6 I don't really have anything to say besides Leon's Chapter 1 is probably his worst, and probably one of the worst chapters in general. Mainly because I think it takes way too long to get going, so if you didn't like it for some other reason then I don't know.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Doflamingo posted:

Just got the PC version and completing Leon's first chapter totally killed any desire I had to continue playing. Please tell me it gets better from here on out because so far it's not even close to RE5's mediocrity.

If you aren't hooked by Leon's 1st or 2nd chapter, then you probably wont be. I think that is long enough to really see the core gameplay.

But then again, I like Resident Evil 5 much more than 6

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Decided to finally go back to play RE4 after beating RE5/6.

I think I broke it. Was going with Shotgun/Pistol, and just hit the end of 3-1 in the Castle, where you need to protect Ashley as she lowers a bridge. Wouldn't normally be a problem, but right before that fight is a seemingly endless rush of Shield guys/Head zombies, so I hit it completely out of Shotgun ammo, and almost out of Pistol ammo.

Ended up giving up at the 3rd or 4th try, since I assume I'll be warped back to the start of 3-1 typewriter, I'm going to go buy a scoped rifle and try that tonight. Aiming on the PC version is uh, special though, so we'll see how well that goes.

I'm really enjoying RE4 so far, but mainly due to how nonsense it is plotwise. Did that start with RE4/5/6, or are all the RE games this silly?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
They have always been silly to differing degrees, 4 was the first one in the series to actually embrace it in a tongue in cheek way though.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The plot has always been pretty nonsensical but it was played mostly straight in the first three games, just with bad/hammy acting. I think things started really going off the rails with Code Veronica when Wesker was resurrected and crazy cross dressing Alfred was running around.

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.
Okay, we've got a steam group going on. Hop on into the recruitment thread to post a link to your steamID if you want to join:

edit: I also added instructions how to make intersections work. It worked for me twice, so hopefully it'll work for you too.

Captain Swing fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 15, 2013

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I love Resident Evil 5, because it gives us stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0VKuFttNQA

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot
Coordinated Agent Hunt is the best thing.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Doflamingo posted:

Oh, yes, definitely. Leon's 1st chapter is the worst in the game.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

W.T. Fits posted:

Tigers aren't native to Africa, though.
:goonsay:

I'm sure this kind of switch isn't native to a futuristic American jumbo jet in 2013 either. Didn't stop Capcom :v:

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 18, 2013

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

If you didn't shout GET OFF MY PLANE at that part, you're small-time.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Geight posted:

If you didn't shout GET OFF MY PLANE at that part, you're small-time.

No, Geight ... you're small time. :smug:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Ahahaha, writhe in my cage of torment, my friend. :smuggo:

I just realized that those were basically codec conversations transplanted into Resident Evil, clearly codecs make a game great.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Is Operation Raccoon City worth it if I can get it 70% off? I heard it was plagued with problems at launch and I'm wondering if those issues were fixed and if it'd be worth buying at that price.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Is Operation Raccoon City worth it if I can get it 70% off? I heard it was plagued with problems at launch and I'm wondering if those issues were fixed and if it'd be worth buying at that price.

I played it at launch, un-patched in any way shape or form, and I thought it was fun enough, though the human enemies are bullet sponges. 70% would be like 12 bucks, right? If you're not on a super tight budget and you're a big enough RE fan to forgive the flaws i'd say go for it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

If it's the PC version can you post where you're getting it at that price? I've been wanting to get it for me and a friend.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I cannot get Resident Evil 5 to use my graphics card. I have a laptop with that stupid Nvidia Optimus technology. RE 5 insists on using the onboard intel graphics instead, and the usual method of forcing the graphics processor through the nvidia control panel isn't working, it's just greyed out on "integrated graphics". Has anyone else had this issue, and is there a workaround, or am I just screwed?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mr. Fortitude posted:

If they didn't fix the terrible AI, ignore all sales.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Len posted:

If it's the PC version can you post where you're getting it at that price? I've been wanting to get it for me and a friend.

Sorry, didn't get a chance to check this thread until now.

It's 50% off on Green Man Gaming but you can apply a voucher for a further 20% off. The sale might be UK only though, GMG tends to do things like that.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=duwalepe

The above is my referral link and the voucher you apply at checkout for the extra 20% off is: GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
What mods/fixes should I install if I want to give RE4 PC a go? Is there a big list of this stuff somewhere?