Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well I'll argue that the poster is incredibly indicative of the movie itself in which case that would make it a great poster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012
Wasn't Myers under the impression that The Love Guru was going to be a big hit? And he went into a deep depression after it wasn't?

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Donjolly posted:

Nobody loves 90s Rodan because he looks and moves like poo poo and Koichi Kawakita is a hack who barely deserves his current gig making the SFX for pachinko machines.

That was still the best one of the heisei Godzilla films that were actually made in the 90's.

... even if I'm still to this day a little confused about how Rodan got fire breath from being choked out by Godzilla...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

LightsGameraAction posted:

That was still the best one of the heisei Godzilla films that were actually made in the 90's.

... even if I'm still to this day a little confused about how Rodan got fire breath from being choked out by Godzilla...

Godzilla is a walking nuclear reactor so just say "radiation!"

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Was lucky enough to come across a treasure trove of couple of thousand B movie posters from a friend and have been drinking them in for what seems like days.

This is definitely one of my most favourite so far:

There have been so many films I'm sure are terrible that I wish were easily accessible because their posters are so good. (I enjoyed Death Spa)

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Saw this Glengarry Glen Ross poster on Tumblr and thought of this thread. I don't hate it.

http://ianburns.tumblr.com/image/46632544485

(Can you "hotlink" from Tumblr?)

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

crimedog posted:

Saw this Glengarry Glen Ross poster on Tumblr and thought of this thread. I don't hate it.

If this had been the poster I would never have wanted to see the film.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

crimedog posted:

Birthday invitations?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I have no idea what that poster is supposed to be.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I have no idea what that poster is supposed to be.

It's "The Leads", the coveted object at the center of the film.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Why do all these bad minimalist posters always go "It's the [MCGUFFIN], the [PLOT ELEMENT YOU WOULD NEVER KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT UNLESS YOU WATCHED THE FILM (SOMETIMES AT LEAST FIVE TIMES)]"

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
The only thing that bugs me about is the ribbon not comforming to the uneven shape of the stack of cards.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Why do all these bad minimalist posters always go "It's the [MCGUFFIN], the [PLOT ELEMENT YOU WOULD NEVER KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT UNLESS YOU WATCHED THE FILM (SOMETIMES AT LEAST FIVE TIMES)]"

They're all based on a concept of film derived from a million loving "cult" films where a film is only worthwhile if it's a shared exclusive club. It doesn't matter if they represent the film at all or even if they look good on their own merits, they're posters about winking to those who "get it" and excluding those who haven't seen the movie yet or don't have a Rain Man-like recall of it.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Because nerds love to focus on objects and references, missing the forest for the trees.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The whole thing hinges on viewing every film as The Most Important Film of your life that you'd never ever forget a single detail about. It's ridiculous.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Should've gone with a pair of brass balls.

Donjolly
Jan 15, 2013

Dissapointed Owl posted:

See, that could be a good teaser poster. The line is "You know what it takes to sell real estate?" And then: brass balls. It tells you what the movie is about, but not much about the movie. Good teaser.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Perfect. That's what I was thinking before I checked the thread again.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

penismightier posted:

The whole thing hinges on viewing every film as The Most Important Film of your life that you'd never ever forget a single detail about. It's ridiculous.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

thet0wer posted:

Wasn't Myers under the impression that The Love Guru was going to be a big hit? And he went into a deep depression after it wasn't?

For some reason, yes. I'm not sure about the depression thing (I know he did after his father died which led to him writing the first - and best - Austin Powers film) but Myers put everything into that film. It's weird because it's so earnest too. This isn't like a studio film he's made for some cash. It was a passion project.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"Is there any way that we can get more phallic symbolism in this poster?"

"Well, what if I added a missile shooting out of Godzilla's crotch?"

"Perfect!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Aw man, Cenco is my favorite movie!

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

So what posters do we actually own and display? I found myself so close to spending a week's wages on a Thai 'The Return of the Living Dead' poster when half-pissed last night.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

BisonDollah posted:

So what posters do we actually own and display? I found myself so close to spending a week's wages on a Thai 'The Return of the Living Dead' poster when half-pissed last night.

I just spent a bunch of money framing a sweet-rear end Citizen Kane poster, and the three smaller Music Box 70mm posters of Vertigo, 2001 and The Master. I'm real excited to put them up.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

aga. posted:

I'll give them their due, I could tell it was Borgnine before I saw the name. Maybe that just says more about his face though.

No, that's just the brilliance of the design. It could be Borgnine, but it could also be Michael J Pollard! Or a combination of both!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BisonDollah posted:

I still have the Mallrats poster I got in college, it's pretty good. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/96/Mallrats.jpg/215px-Mallrats.jpg
And my bland "Strange Brew" poster I still keep around out of laziness. It's http://www.movieposter.com/posters/archive/main/14/A70-7098, but looking for it, http://mlkshk.com/r/C52I would be much cooler.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 21, 2013

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Casablanca, framed with a matte. A lovely gift from my lovely girlfriend!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BisonDollah posted:

I've got a Watchmen, a Crank 2, and the Holmes and Watson posters from the first Robert Downey, Jr. Holmes movie up in my living room.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

BisonDollah posted:

A Blade Runner poster and this Highlander poster: http://www.amazon.com/Highlander-Italian-Christopher-Lambert-Connery/dp/B000JVVI6U .

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

BisonDollah posted:

The only proper movie poster I've ever owned was for Star Wars Episode II (gift). It should be at my dad's place. I really want to get a poster for Yojimbo, because that's recently become a favorite of mine, but I currently have no place to put a poster.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Waffleman_ posted:

I really want to get a poster for Yojimbo, because that's recently become a favorite of mine, but I currently have no place to put a poster.
There's a really awesome poster from when the movie first came out in the US that I'd love to get my hands on.

And speaking of "Glengary Glenn Ross", this is the poster that advertized it initially. It looks like its for a totally different movie if only because its so bright and colorful while the movie is drab and takes place almost entirely at night.

As far as posters I have, in my apartment I have a New York Times ad for "The Master" as it mentions the 70mm release, plus these:
The African Queen
Apocalypse Now
Brazil
Drag Me to Hell
Mishima
Princess Mononoke

And at my folk's house I have posters for "AKIRA" and "Spirited Away" over my desk. Those are the only two genuine one-sheet posters I have; the rest are small reproductions or in "Drag Me to Hell"'s case, just a mini-poster being handed out at a theater.

I also have tiny posters from "Cloud Atlas" and "Argo" that I haven't put up.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 21, 2013

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BisonDollah posted:

I have the Prometheus poster you got when you saw it at IMAX.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 21, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Three Mondos; two Disney, and one Creature poster. I like a lot of the stuff they've done for animated projects, and the Creature poster is on the few I've liked of the stuff they've done for live-action films.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Hey, its been a while since I assaulted all of you with a wall of :words: about posters, so here goes!

In looking for image of the "Akira" poster in my last post, I found that yes, there is a Mondo version.

Its a giant clusterfuck of all the characters and events in the movie, and is so chaotic and confusing that it visually approximates what its like to watch "Akira" for the first time! So… successful?

Anyways, the movie has two pretty iconic posters from when it first came out in Japan:

I've got a variation on this one.

Now that second one's good, but there's just a little too much activity thanks to the stills in the top third.

There we go!

The Criterion Collection's laserdisc (to date the only animated film they've ever released) used this poster as its cover. Sorry I couldn't find a better picture but this thing is a monster of a set, with three discs in a triple-gatefold:

Japan's laserdisc release had a cover designed by Otomo:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lets back up a bit because you can't have Godzilla poster discussion without Godzilla vs Biollante.

The best Godzilla poster. The best Godzilla movie. :colbert:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I've got a small version of this in a nice frame:

This we got free from Charter's point redeeming service (the green-brown part at the top is much less ugly in person)

I also had this up but it was in a cheap frame that kind of fell apart.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Robert Denby posted:

Japan's laserdisc release had a cover designed by Otomo:

This, I like. The Mondo one, not so much.

The only movie poster I've got in my home currently is this one, basically (some text removed), though since none of the stores in town have frames large enough for it, and I don't want to put a pinhole in it, it's folded and stashed in my closet. :effort:

Anyway, here's an unsung series.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

BisonDollah posted:

I used to have a really nice and stylish Clockwork Orange poster put it got ripped and all I have now is some Blacklisted poster I got for free at a hardcore show in 2007 and a poorly cut poster of Marx. I own a Star Wars poster but don't have a frame to hang it properly so it just sits there, collecting dust and mocking me by not being on a wall.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I'm not sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Wow, Bam-Bam Bigalow! This movie must be great.