Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

(ball bearings)

joat mon fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I love this thread.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
What the hell happened to that thing? Did that transfer case /transmission eat a loving extension cord? What is all that copper wire from?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

First guess is: electromagnetic valve timing module.

or: magneto? Is that a small engine?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Looks to me like an electrically controlled transfer case, the copper wire is from the magnetic sleeve that rams the hi/lo selector forward.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

joat mon posted:

(ball bearings)

No, those are very clearly kidney stones.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

This appeared on my Facebook feed this morning.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

OSI bean dip posted:

Hella stance, yo.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Aurune posted:

I was walking to lunch today, was crossing a parking lot entrance (where hat and jeans guy is). A Town Car Limo stopped. The Beetle behind him didn't. ~30 mph hit, everyone okay.

The only reason I posted this is it appears the high bumper of the Town Car totally missed the crash structure on the front of the car and just hit the engine block. One headlight was ejected on impact, the other just snarled. Engine is likely completely shot as it was left to run for a few minutes while they pulled out from in front of the entrance. Likely wouldn't be a issue if all it's oil / coolant wasn't on the ground.

The Town Car had paint transfer and a few dents.

In the non-mecanical failures section: That's how the car was about 45 minutes after the accident. The cops came, took statements, left, Limo drove off. The driver of the Bug also left, door open, just on the side of the road. :v:

VV Edit: DURP, Town Car, Brain fart, sorry VV

Looks like the Bug driver jammed on the brakes and make the nose dip when they collided. Oops.

SIde note: I really, REALLY like the new Bugs. They have just a hint of 911 styling on the headlights.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

dietcokefiend posted:

What the hell happened to that thing? Did that transfer case /transmission eat a loving extension cord? What is all that copper wire from?

PainterofCrap posted:

First guess is: electromagnetic valve timing module.

or: magneto? Is that a small engine?

Slavvy posted:

Looks to me like an electrically controlled transfer case, the copper wire is from the magnetic sleeve that rams the hi/lo selector forward.

'95 Explorer. 4WD is actuated by an electromagnet (that is supposed to be sealed)

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

OSI bean dip posted:

I recognized that as Robson Street because of La Vie En Rose next to Roots, then the VPD/license plates. Oh, and the lightpost banners. What broke on the car?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
At first I thought it was just untorqued lugs but maybe wheel bearing. Both of those are hard to ignore though.

It looks like there's a rotor or something hanging out behind the wheel as well.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Yeah, the rotor/caliper is still in place. Maybe the studs aren't long enough for the custom rimzzz and so the nuts just backed off?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

joat mon posted:

(ball bearings)

It's like a rock tumbler! :downs:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
No pics because I was driving but I saw an 18 wheeler broken down on the interstate, tractor seemed to be listing ever so slightly to one side. Got closer and apparently an axle shaft decided it wanted to see the world, and took its two drive wheels along. Saw the drives/axle stub about 50yards down the road, just chilling in the median still bolted together. Luckily there was nobody else around when it failed, that could have really hosed up someone elses day.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

joat mon posted:

'95 Explorer. 4WD is actuated by an electromagnet (that is supposed to be sealed)

Thought it was. Electronics have no place in a transfer case. The transfer case shift motor is bad enough.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

General_Failure posted:

Thought it was. Electronics have no place in a transfer case. The transfer case shift motor is bad enough.

Yup, the kia sorento one is impossible. As soon as you touch it, it's hosed because the little tracking needles go out of alignment. It's strange because in comparison to transmissions and the like, a transfer case is an extremely simple device and making an electrically controlled one should be a doddle, yet they always suck.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

OSI bean dip posted:

Personally, I would drive the poo poo out of that car. It's not hella flush and it has a tasteful bumper and looks clean as gently caress. Just a dumb owner, I'll bet.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Slavvy posted:

Yup, the kia sorento one is impossible. As soon as you touch it, it's hosed because the little tracking needles go out of alignment. It's strange because in comparison to transmissions and the like, a transfer case is an extremely simple device and making an electrically controlled one should be a doddle, yet they always suck.

A nice fat stepper motor with only 4 positions would be trivial to design, and would be able to produce the torque to operate a typical 2H/4H/N/4L shifter without any kind of reduction gearing.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

d'awwww, look at the frowny face!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

OSI bean dip posted:

This makes me so sad. The first car I ever bought with my own money was a white '91 Integra coupe. I rarely ever see them around here without being rusted-out hulks, and seeing another one down is disheartening.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

At first I thought it was just untorqued lugs but maybe wheel bearing. Both of those are hard to ignore though.

It looks like there's a rotor or something hanging out behind the wheel as well.

I'd bet on a lower balljoint failure. Maintenance? What's that? drat mechanic is trying to screw me! :argh:

e: it looks like the rotor or backing plate stayed with the car... yeah I agree on the wheel bearing failure.

Terrible Robot posted:

No pics because I was driving but I saw an 18 wheeler broken down on the interstate, tractor seemed to be listing ever so slightly to one side. Got closer and apparently an axle shaft decided it wanted to see the world, and took its two drive wheels along. Saw the drives/axle stub about 50yards down the road, just chilling in the median still bolted together. Luckily there was nobody else around when it failed, that could have really hosed up someone elses day.

Those are almost all fullfloat axles (i.e. spindle, inner and outer taper roller bearings, hub, brakes and wheels mount to hub, axleshaft passes through spindle and connects to hub also, the axleshaft only handles torque loading) so I would suspect either a broken spindle, improperly assembled spindle (outer bearing retention nuts backed off while driving) or horribly burnt bearings and a sudden catastrophic failure causing this.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Those are almost all fullfloat axles (i.e. spindle, inner and outer taper roller bearings, hub, brakes and wheels mount to hub, axleshaft passes through spindle and connects to hub also, the axleshaft only handles torque loading) so I would suspect either a broken spindle, improperly assembled spindle (outer bearing retention nuts backed off while driving) or horribly burnt bearings and a sudden catastrophic failure causing this.

Beat me to it. I have absolutely never seen anything other than a full float in a truck of that size. In fact, I've limped a few home with the axles strapped to the frame and rags in the gaping holes left due to various failures that left one rear still able to push and the other not so much. A few bolts and a good whack with a sledge and they pop right out.

The only thing taking a hub off of a truck like this is a massive hub/bearing failure (or worse).

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

DiggityDoink posted:

Halon is a category of chemicals derived from methane, not just one specific fire retardant so depending on the type, its very possible. Its just short hand for halomethane. Freon is a type of halon as is chloroform.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halomethane

All this time I've been looking in the wrong isle. :rimshot:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

I'd bet on a lower balljoint failure. Maintenance? What's that? drat mechanic is trying to screw me! :argh:

e: it looks like the rotor or backing plate stayed with the car... yeah I agree on the wheel bearing failure.

Actually Kastien, if you look really close, you can see the brake and rotor. Its intact. It looks like just the wheel popped off.

Chances are, he didn't torque his wheel nuts down.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Apparently I can't see that well at 7AM. Whoops :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
No pictures, but Sunday I was driving down I-75 south back to Atlanta, and ricer after ricer was heading up I-75 north towards Chattanooga.

It was literally a parade of failed/damaged suspensions, Honda's burning oil, cars leaning at odd angles on a flat straight, and terrible rusted hoods and horrible paint jobs and neon plastidipped wheels. :psyduck:

What is wrong with people?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

No pictures, but Sunday I was driving down I-75 south back to Atlanta, and ricer after ricer was heading up I-75 north towards Chattanooga.

It was literally a parade of failed/damaged suspensions, Honda's burning oil, cars leaning at odd angles on a flat straight, and terrible rusted hoods and horrible paint jobs and neon plastidipped wheels. :psyduck:

What is wrong with people?

You saw the aftermath of Import Alliance. Ton's of fail, there. I only know because a few of my "hellaflush" friends went.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Carteret posted:

You saw the aftermath of Import Alliance. Ton's of fail, there. I only know because a few of my "hellaflush" friends went.

My wife was in the back and referred to it as the 'Parade of Shame'

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Beach Bum posted:

Personally, I would drive the poo poo out of that car. It's not hella flush and it has a tasteful bumper and looks clean as gently caress. Just a dumb owner, I'll bet.

Are we looking at the same car here? You mean the Integra with the ugly Skyline front aero, vented side skirts, wangan wing, eBay EURO TAILS, and muffler shop wheels?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

some texas redneck posted:

It's a common problem on the KA24DE too. Most people yank the intake manifold to get to it, but you can get to it from below if you have skinny arms :ssh:

The PCV valve is also buried under the intake manifold. :argh:

I was able to swap the knock sensor on my KA24 without pulling the manifold, and I dont have small hands or skinny arms. Think I used a wobbly extension and a grabber claw to hold the sensor.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

ultimateforce posted:

Are we looking at the same car here? You mean the Integra with the ugly Skyline front aero, vented side skirts, wangan wing, eBay EURO TAILS, and muffler shop wheels?

If you're thinking of moving to Vancouver/B.C...get used to it!

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.
We started pulling the engine apart on the wrecked Vette last night, after taking the valve covers off and finding broken rockers a week or so back. I think there may have been an issue with the #8 cylinder...

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
:stare:

Is there anything in that engine worth saving?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Splizwarf posted:

The exhaust headers.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Safe to say its scrap metal.

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

Splizwarf posted:

At this point maybe a head bolt... or like an accessory pulley or the oil filter or something. Other than that, I really don't think so. If there actually is anything worth saving, those parts would need to go to a machine shop or something and it's honestly not worth the cost/down time to the owner. He's got a roller and he's hunting for a 6.0L block - I'm trying to convince him to go with an LQ9 block over an aluminum LS2 block since he's running a poo poo ton of boost but he's apparently got a plan, which I'm not sure what it is, but it'll be good no matter what. This 383 LS1 lasted for almost 30k miles making between 650-850 rwhp, depending on what year it was and he's only brought it out to race and beat the poo poo out of it. The odd part is that it still started up and nothing sounded out of the ordinary at all except for a ticking sound, which we assumed was the broken rockers - I'm baffled as to how that didn't sound like a can of marbles getting smashed up. The F1a Procharger head unit was fine so he's keeping that, and most of the piping is ok. Soon we get to dig into the drive train and see what can be salvaged. From the outside it all looks good but uhhh... so did the motor.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Where did all the piston bits go? Crankcase and oil sump?

I don't think I'd reuse the oil filter. :v:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yeah: into the parts bin, A/K/A the oil pan.

It's amazing that you could not tell there was a problem. I windowed a 383 at 70MPH ('65 Plymouth Fury) and it sounded like the muffler fell off + a flapping flat tire. Very confusing sound quality, but loud as all hell. Car never slowed down, though.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
After a thorough steam cleaning, it'll make a fine boat anchor!