Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Whoops, double post. The new SA app is poo poo.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Speed with the wolf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMNowDX6Lho

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Saw Sonata Arctica last night here in London, and it was actually a really good show. I skipped the opening acts and drank lots of beer before heading in. They sound great live and have a really good energy about them. Saying that, the setlist was a bit disappointing, mostly consisting of their newer and more mid-tempo type stuff. I was hoping for the really fast stuff from the earlier albums but they didn't really do anything from those. Still, a good show well worth the money.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Absu tonight. Monstrously stoked.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
New VHÖL album is pretty righteous.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Someone recently posted a youtube link of a band that sounded almost exactly like Amon Amarth (amazingly similar). This might be too vague, but I can't seem to find that band/song anymore. Maybe post some that might be it?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Evocation's last album sounded pretty similar to modern Amon Amarth. Is that what you're thinking of?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Hulk Krogan posted:

Evocation's last album sounded pretty similar to modern Amon Amarth. Is that what you're thinking of?

Sweet that's it. Thanks.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Hulk Krogan posted:

Holy poo poo, I just listened to a track they had on their website (Divide and Conquer) and they couldn't have ripped off Amon's Pursuit of Vikings any more if they tried.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Anybody else hear the new Sabbath track? Sounds like Be Forewarned-era Pentagram with Ozzy singing.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

nerve posted:

Absu tonight. Monstrously stoked.

Please rub it in later and describe the concert in detail later. I am so loving jealous.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

rxcowboy posted:

Please rub it in later and describe the concert in detail later. I am so loving jealous.

loving poo poo, this. Also the new VHOL is really good.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
VHOL rules. The latest Fallujah EP is pretty good too.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Absu loving killed it. First time they've been to Milwaukee since '97. Played a really varied set favoring the old over the new. Trying to remember, I think they only played 3 songs combined off of the two new records (which I love so I actually would have liked a little more, but they have a huge catalog so hey). Goddamn Proscriptor's theatrics are just so loving good.

Hopefully it's not another 16 years before they come back.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
Anyone else going to Hellfest? Can't believe I have to be up and in the arena for 10.30 to see The Great Old Ones on the Friday :(

E: Gojira on the main stage is going to be fun.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Noumena just put up a moustache...I mean, music video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYSzIFPlShY

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Just went to see Vanderbuyst play live again last night. Probably about the fifth time seeing them and they keep putting on great shows. Even when the venue was pretty deserted...

Not sure how much coverage they've gotten overseas, but they are a class act and deserve a lot more attention.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The newest Omnium Gatherum is pretty righteous.

And it's Friday - while most people are rejoicing, listen to Weakling and despair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU7EJNc6ipk

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

watt par posted:

Anybody else hear the new Sabbath track? Sounds like Be Forewarned-era Pentagram with Ozzy singing.

I'm listening to it right now. Yeah, these riffs are cool. Ozzy's voice is pretty lovely as expected, but at least it sounds less digital than most of his solo stuff. The lyrics are pretty lovely, I wonder who's writing them now that Ward's out?

E: Geezer's bassline at the end of the song rules.

In some respects I'd rather let their old catalog stand on its own rather than doing another album. I doubt I'll get too many plays out of it, but Iommi as a musician is pretty good about not embarrassing himself so I'm sure it'll have its moments.

I can get behind this.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 19, 2013

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
So after almost drinking myself to death on a mini-tour with them, ZOM and Gospel of the Horns, I'm gonna recommend everyone checks out Bölzer again. For a two-piece they make an incredible din, and can back it up live.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

The Clit Avoider posted:

So after almost drinking myself to death on a mini-tour with them, ZOM and Gospel of the Horns, I'm gonna recommend everyone checks out Bölzer again. For a two-piece they make an incredible din, and can back it up live.

Agrred. Bölzer is the business.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

watt par posted:

It's loving boring that's for sure

What was so wrong with them touring on their old catalog and maybe throw in a couple ozzy solo songs and some non-ozzy songs... :(

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Well, then Ozzy would have to try and sing something that he didn't record, or maybe even something with more than an octave vocal range and that never ends very well.

I'm happy to see em make music again, and normally I'm not a curmudgeon telling old bands not to write new songs. But when there's a thirty five year gap between your last studio tracks recorded together and your new ones it might be time to leave it be.

I'd imagine the album's gonna be pretty listenable, but no one's looking to hear new music. Like I'm curious, and I guess it's a good reason to go on tour but every new song the could play could be replaced by something that's classic and I'd be more excited.

Ozzy's the worst live act I've ever seen but I'll probably see em if they come near me because I've never had the chance to see the original Sabbath lineup.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Morbid Florist posted:

It's loving boring that's for sure

What was so wrong with them touring on their old catalog and maybe throw in a couple ozzy solo songs and some non-ozzy songs... :(

I dunno, there are a few solid riffs in there. The bass tone and drums do kinda sound like poo poo though.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

attackmole posted:

I'm happy to see em make music again, and normally I'm not a curmudgeon telling old bands not to write new songs. But when there's a thirty five year gap between your last studio tracks recorded together and your new ones it might be time to leave it be.

15 years. They recorded two new tracks for the Reunion album back in '98. Your point still stands.

Halligan
Apr 7, 2013

attackmole posted:

Ozzy's the worst live act I've ever seen but I'll probably see em if they come near me because I've never had the chance to see the original Sabbath lineup.

Was this a factor of his age or the fact that he's never been all that great as a singer in your experience? I've always thought his vocal quality degraded over the years and this was only amplified by the fact that he was always stressing it in the first place.

attackmole posted:

E: Geezer's bassline at the end of the song rules.

Speaking of Geezer Butler, he played on a track from that Device album which came out this week - if that counts as metal to the folks here I'm curious in peoples' thoughts on it.

Halligan fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 20, 2013

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Went to New England Metal and Hardcore Fest yesterday. I got there just in time for Goatwhore's set and was kicking myself that I missed Týr until I ran into Heri in the lobby and he was all "hey, no big deal, you catch us next time" in that friendly Scandinavian way of his.

There was a line of people step-dancing in the pit during Ensiferum's set. It started with one guy who was just ridiculously into it and people just started joining up with him. They'd link arms, form into a circle, dance around, and when the heavier riffs kicked in they'd just break into moshing for a few seconds and then go back to dancing. Folk metal, man.

Opeth, too. I will never get tired of Mikael's humor. He's an odd man but so much fun to watch.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
This is just a friendly reminder to murder everyone you love and let Warsore be the soundtrack to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYK-gabIGjA

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Halligan posted:

Was this a factor of his age or the fact that he's never been all that great as a singer in your experience? I've always thought his vocal quality degraded over the years and this was only amplified by the fact that he was always stressing it in the first place.

Both. I think you're right on. Ozzy's voice worked great with Sabbath's music but it never really stood on its own, and non-techinical singers tend to have their voices degrade a lot faster than people who know what they're doing.

I think he announced retirement in about 1991 and in retrospect that would have probably been about the right time for it.

And if he can shamble up on stage with Iommi and Butler and mumble out NIB I'll be there cause I'm a sucker.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
These guys are opening for Absu tomorrow night in Calgary, I like what I hear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga5ndRtsnCg

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

The Clit Avoider posted:

These guys are great. Do they have any releases? They don't seem to have an m-a page.

e: nvm, forgot the umlaut. Just a demo for now it seems.

Monkeytime fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 22, 2013

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

attackmole posted:

And if he can shamble up on stage with Iommi and Butler and mumble out NIB I'll be there cause I'm a sucker.

I'll let you know how that goes this Thursday. I'm there for Geezer and Iommi. Ozzy's not doubt going to kind of sour the whole thing for me but I owe it to myself to hear Geezer and Iommi rip out some riffs.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Opeth, too. I will never get tired of Mikael's humor. He's an odd man but so much fun to watch.

I really wanted to go see Opeth & Katatonia, but the large majority of NE Metal & Hardcore fest does not interest me at all :(
Was considering showing up just for Opeth but I didn't want to drop that much money for only an hour and a half...

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Sab669 posted:

I really wanted to go see Opeth & Katatonia, but the large majority of NE Metal & Hardcore fest does not interest me at all :(
Was considering showing up just for Opeth but I didn't want to drop that much money for only an hour and a half...

Hell, I got my money's worth. There was some drunk guy behind me during Ensiferum's set going "YEAH, FINLAND, WOOOO" the whole time. :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm just real sad the last time I saw Opeth it was their Heritage tour and it was a super chill, borderline boring set list. And the time before that, I didn't know their music super well. Oh well I guess.

And now wtf is up with Pain of Salvation finally having a US tour but they've hardly posted any dates! :argh:

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Bertrand Hustle posted:

How was it? They'll be here next month, but if they're only gonna play Heritage wankery then I rather stay home and listen to Blackwater Park.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Went to New England Metal and Hardcore Fest yesterday. I got there just in time for Goatwhore's set and was kicking myself that I missed Týr until I ran into Heri in the lobby and he was all "hey, no big deal, you catch us next time" in that friendly Scandinavian way of his.

There was a line of people step-dancing in the pit during Ensiferum's set. It started with one guy who was just ridiculously into it and people just started joining up with him. They'd link arms, form into a circle, dance around, and when the heavier riffs kicked in they'd just break into moshing for a few seconds and then go back to dancing. Folk metal, man.

Skipped the Metal and Hardcore fest because there were only like 5 bands I wanted to see, instead went to the acoustic Opeth show at a nearby Newbury Comics earlier that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbA0GGb0YWc

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Kaboobi posted:

Skipped the Metal and Hardcore fest because there were only like 5 bands I wanted to see, instead went to the acoustic Opeth show at a nearby Newbury Comics earlier that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbA0GGb0YWc

What the gently caress this was a thing? :suicide:

edit; Hahaha, the swedish fish

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 22, 2013

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
So the title song for Megadeth's new album is out...and all I can see is goodnight Dave, you're done.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/04/22/the-title-track-from-megadeths-super-collider-is-loving-garbage/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Hell, I got my money's worth. There was some drunk guy behind me during Ensiferum's set going "YEAH, FINLAND, WOOOO" the whole time. :v:

Went to Paganfest a few days ago (holy poo poo Heidevolk is awesome live thank you thread for introducing me to them) and there was a literal human pyramid in the back of the pit waving a Finnish flag for part of Ensiferum's set. Kept kicking me in the head. Don't know how they managed to stay upright. Oh, folk metal shows.

I also met Gunnar from Tyr. That dude is :3: personified.