Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Oh my god my sourdough starter is coming up beautifully :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Have I been doing something wrong? Soap is great, but ammonia and bleach in my bread dough makes it so airy.

Re: guac-this always comes out with little red and white and green bits in it at the restaurant, as well as a big dollop of something white. Whenever I make it home it's just green. What should I do?

Add red, white and green bits and a dollop of something white. Duh.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Have I been doing something wrong? Soap is great, but ammonia and bleach in my bread dough makes it so airy.

Re: guac-this always comes out with little red and white and green bits in it at the restaurant, as well as a big dollop of something white. Whenever I make it home it's just green. What should I do?

There must be something wrong with your recipe. Here, try this one from honorary ambassador to flavors of Mexico, Sandra Lee

quote:

2 large Hass avocados
2 tablespoons medium salsa
1 tablespoon sour cream
1 tablespoon jalapeno juice
Salt

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until the consistency of vomit. Serve chilled with a side of corn nuts.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Very Strange Things posted:

It's a floor wax AND a dessert topping, ready to teach the whole
Human race the Moral ABC of All-One-God-Faith! For we're All-One or none!
ALL-ONE! ALL-ONE! ALL-ONE! The 2nd coming of God's Law" Mohammed's Arabs, 1948, found Israel
Dead-Sea-Scrolls & Einstein's "Hillel" prove that as certain as no
6-year-old can grow up free without the abc, so certain can no 12-year old
survive free without the Moral ABC mason, tent & sandalmaker, Rabbi Hillel
taught carpenter Jesus to unite all mankind free in our Eternal Father's
great All-One-God-Faith! For we're All-One or none: "Listen Children
Eternal Father Eternally One!" Exceptions? None!

I love/hate Dr. Bronner's because whenever I'm staying at someone's house where they use it I end up reading the bottle and while it's always amusing I'm worried it may cause me to develop schizophrenia.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Duh, buy the restaurant.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Dr. Bronners : A MindPhlux® Endorsed Product™

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
proper guac is avodaco, white onion, roma tomato, lime, cilatro, salt, pepper. I like minced jalapeno or serannos in mine.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I looked at the calendar, and it's only eight more months until Christmas! I can't wait to make this one a testament to how much I love Puppy. He's been an especially good boy this year, and Santa has lots of lovely things planned. Money's a little tight this year, so I figure if I start saving now, I can buy him some cool stuff that he's been eyeing, and make a few things too. That way, he doesn't have to just rely on my lame hand-made gifts, and can have some things that he deserves. God drat, how did I get so fortunate to have such an amazing man?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

"dino. posted:

God drat, how did I get so fortunate to have such an amazing man?

Beats me, rear end in a top hat.

I made that grated carrot pickle with cumin and mustard seed finished with lemon juice (no lime in the house). Dino, it's so drat delicious, especially with so few ingredients. It accompanied a rather lovely spinach and red lentil dal I made for Leo that he didn't like - texture, I think, as I spiced it rather nicely and gently - so we ate it instead. I thought of you when I made it!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
0_0;;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyYlACBVKeU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

The gently caress did I just watch? How many calories in those things? What were the things they put on the eggs? What were all the powders sprinkled on at various intervals? D:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Mostly it's aonori, powdered dried seaweed. Cabbage isn't very calory rich and there's not very much oil used for frying. In poo poo, pig out on this and you're probably doing your body a favour along the way.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

dino. posted:

I looked at the calendar, and it's only eight more months until Christmas! I can't wait to make this one a testament to how much I love Puppy. He's been an especially good boy this year, and Santa has lots of lovely things planned. Money's a little tight this year, so I figure if I start saving now, I can buy him some cool stuff that he's been eyeing, and make a few things too. That way, he doesn't have to just rely on my lame hand-made gifts, and can have some things that he deserves. God drat, how did I get so fortunate to have such an amazing man?

y'all are seriously the happiest married couple I know

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Okonomiyaki owns. Eat it.

In surprised there was no katsuobushi and kewpie at the very end. They typically drizzle/sprinkle it on after brushing the sweet soy glaze.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

dino. posted:

I looked at the calendar, and it's only eight more months until Christmas!

My dog of nearly 11 years just got diagnosed with an inoperable tumor and has about a month left in her, which is around the time I'll be finishing finals so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to see her.

I just wanted to say that this sentence alone helped brighten my extremely lovely weekend, let alone the rest of your post. You are such a dork about your husband that it's adorable, and the thread of goons helping you discover the true meaning of Christmas is possibly the most heartwarming thing I can remember coming out of these forums. Thanks. :unsmith:

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

GrAviTy84 posted:

In surprised there was no katsuobushi and kewpie at the very end. They typically drizzle/sprinkle it on after brushing the sweet soy glaze.

I'm hungry as hell right now and I'd eat two of these and I don't even know what the hell I just watched

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Allahu Snackbar posted:

I'm hungry as hell right now and I'd eat two of these and I don't even know what the hell I just watched

Just think really thick yakisoba pancake/frittata with weeaboo poo poo on top.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Deep Eddy has a new Grapefruit vodka. It is so goddamn good.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I was sort of surprised because all the okonomiyaki I've ever had was like, sort of a seafood pancake/eggcake mixture with cabbage, and then bonito, nori, the worsterchire/soy sauce stuff and mayo on top.

I've never had one with noodles, let alone bacon, let alone that much cabbage, let alone a egg with two mussles in it. that poo poo just looks crazy - also epic and delicious.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mindphlux posted:

I was sort of surprised because all the okonomiyaki I've ever had was like, sort of a seafood pancake/eggcake mixture with cabbage, and then bonito, nori, the worsterchire/soy sauce stuff and mayo on top.

I've never had one with noodles, let alone bacon, let alone that much cabbage, let alone a egg with two mussles in it. that poo poo just looks crazy - also epic and delicious.

A new place in town does okonomiyaki, Lucky Robot, but I haven't been yet. I've just moved them up on my places to visit after seeing that.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

therattle posted:

Beats me, rear end in a top hat.

I made that grated carrot pickle with cumin and mustard seed finished with lemon juice (no lime in the house). Dino, it's so drat delicious, especially with so few ingredients. It accompanied a rather lovely spinach and red lentil dal I made for Leo that he didn't like - texture, I think, as I spiced it rather nicely and gently - so we ate it instead. I thought of you when I made it!

Oh my goodness that carrot thing is scary good. I've made it so many nights when I'm feeling lazy to do something elaborate as an accompaniment dish. Glad you liked it!

Thanks all. Sorry about your dog. :(

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Quick question, made low carb lasagna by replacing the pasta plates with sliced zucchini but it turned out very wet because I did not factor in the water content of the zucchini.

I understand people salt it to draw out the water but I was wondering if you could take it further and dry it out in the oven or dehydrator and keep it in storage for whenever you feel like making lasagna?

Making another lowcarb lasagna tonight using plates made from cream, eggs and ground up psyllium seed husks, worked real well in the past for making tagliatelle, fiance likes it more than real pasta.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Lasagna without pasta is called mousaka, use eggplant (slice and salt them for about an hour before rinsing them off and using the slices).

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Gettin` hitched this week. I believe everything is ready.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Quick question, made low carb lasagna by replacing the pasta plates with sliced zucchini but it turned out very wet because I did not factor in the water content of the zucchini.

I understand people salt it to draw out the water but I was wondering if you could take it further and dry it out in the oven or dehydrator and keep it in storage for whenever you feel like making lasagna?

Making another lowcarb lasagna tonight using plates made from cream, eggs and ground up psyllium seed husks, worked real well in the past for making tagliatelle, fiance likes it more than real pasta.

If you have eggplant, you can slice them thin, spray with a bit of oil, and roast it for like 8 minutes to get noodle like thingies that are fairly dry. They'll work just fine.

Congrats, Wiggles. Hope it all turns out great. :)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Good luck! Are you catering or did you come to your senses?

Also, even if something is not ready, it probably doesn't matter.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

mindphlux posted:

This is Hiroshima style, it's famous in Japan for being over the top with the (heh) toppings.

Wanna make okonomiyaki at home. This one looks allright. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeUHy0A1GF0

e: this is her cooking it Hiroshima style , watching her demure, measured Japanese expression just barely being pierced by uncontained delight at actually succeeding at making it is just too much :3: to handle :3:

Force de Fappe fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 22, 2013

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

therattle posted:

Good luck! Are you catering or did you come to your senses?

Also, even if something is not ready, it probably doesn't matter.

Still catering. All the tamales are made. The rest of the cooking begins Friday morning. The ceremony starts at 5, reception to follow (food should be in warmers/steamers/etc. by then).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Still catering. All the tamales are made. The rest of the cooking begins Friday morning. The ceremony starts at 5, reception to follow (food should be in warmers/steamers/etc. by then).

Sweet baby Jesus, Wiggles, good luck, man!

Post some wedding pics and let us know how the food was. When you get a chance.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

GrAviTy84 posted:

Suddenly inspired to post this.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqcx3z_lunch-queen-01_fun#.UXWdFMqRf30

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dog :3:. She's still active, so I'm subscribing. Thanks for this.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Git'r done, Wiggles. :3:

Also, dino.! I was looking your book up on amazon, as I still haven't actually gotten it yet. Shameful, I know. But anyways, have you seen the 1 star reviews for your book? They seem pretty dumb.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Manuel Calavera posted:

Also, dino.! I was looking your book up on amazon, as I still haven't actually gotten it yet. Shameful, I know. But anyways, have you seen the 1 star reviews for your book? They seem pretty dumb.

One-star reviews for most things are pretty dumb, but the ones for Dino's book are like, mad that it's a vegan cookbook and mad that he says anything at all about not liking non-vegan foods.

Dino please write another cookbook :allears:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

good luck, would be interested to hear how everything goes!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Meant to make mango chipotle jam, poured in too many chipotles, now I have chipotle mango jam.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Meant to make mango chipotle jam, poured in too many chipotles, now I have chipotle mango jam.

This doesn't sound like a problem.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

It really isn't, except I don't have an croissants to spread it on!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Sjurygg posted:

This is Hiroshima style, it's famous in Japan for being over the top with the (heh) toppings.

Wanna make okonomiyaki at home. This one looks allright. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeUHy0A1GF0

e: this is her cooking it Hiroshima style , watching her demure, measured Japanese expression just barely being pierced by uncontained delight at actually succeeding at making it is just too much :3: to handle :3:

Cooking with dog :3:

Was that an attempt at a French accent by the narrator?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Oh hey a Hiroshima specific cooking with dog okonomiyaki.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od2YWgQmeo4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

E:fb

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Hello GWS chat thread! I am traveling to San Francisco next week and am wondering if any of you fine culinary goons could suggest some kickin' rad places for me to go eat. I'm going to attempt to avoid eating at any sort of chain if I can at all help it. Alas, my mother is not as adventurous as I when it comes to eating so chances are any sort of molecular gastronomy type of place is out, but cuisine from basically any culture is a-ok.

Thanks friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone here have experience with those portable induction burners they sell? Are they powerful enough to keep a heavy piece of cast iron blazing hot?