Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
You have to take and pass all 3 within a year? I thought it was 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

psydude posted:

Thought it was that but it's not.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Ballsed up and took my A+ 801 today.

e: imgur is down

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Congrats!

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Perfect score, nice.

AntennaGeek
May 30, 2011

So, the training budget got canned at work-- I was supposed to be sent off for RHCSA class this fall, followed by the exam.

Is it unheard of for someone already familiar with Red Hat/Centos in a production environment to be able to study/pass the RHCSA class on their own, without the week-long class?

( I've been studying the test objectives, and can do 3/4 of them by pure muscle memory alone... )

Any suggestions for study materials would be welcomed; I was planning to sit for the exam in August.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I could be mistaken but I believe RedHat is very good about their exams matching the posted exam objectives. If you know the objectives you're good.

I would check online forums like TechExams for any test taking tips if they have them.

ascii larry
Feb 15, 2007

...just takin' out the trash
Does anyone know if this has been implemented yet? Or is it for the next round of CompTIA tests? I'm looking to book Network+ soon, specifically.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

AntennaGeek posted:

So, the training budget got canned at work-- I was supposed to be sent off for RHCSA class this fall, followed by the exam.

Is it unheard of for someone already familiar with Red Hat/Centos in a production environment to be able to study/pass the RHCSA class on their own, without the week-long class?

( I've been studying the test objectives, and can do 3/4 of them by pure muscle memory alone... )

Any suggestions for study materials would be welcomed; I was planning to sit for the exam in August.

I never took it but I own this book, and can say it gave me a really solid understanding of the UNIX environment, and yeah I used Centos to do it. Going off the reviews it appears it has helped some people get there RHCSA.

Here is the updated version. http://www.amazon.com/RHCSA-Certification-Practice-Virtual-Machines/dp/007180160X/

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Corvettefisher posted:

I never took it but I own this book, and can say it gave me a really solid understanding of the UNIX environment, and yeah I used Centos to do it. Going off the reviews it appears it has helped some people get there RHCSA.

Here is the updated version. http://www.amazon.com/RHCSA-Certification-Practice-Virtual-Machines/dp/007180160X/

I second that book, it's what I've been using to study for the RHCSA and it's very easy to read/use.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Welp I failed the 220-801 exam by 29 loving points so I feel like a real dummy now. I know exactly what I hosed up on and didn't really prepare myself fully for the test. I'm kicking myself in my nuts now because my girlfriend told me to look my poo poo over the night before, which I did not do, so maybe those god drat 29 points could have come from that.

Really I'm just pissed that I wasted a good amount of money on that shot. When I go to re-take the exam, will it be the same exact test or will some things be different?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
My second try at the 70-647 exam is booked for the week after next.

I'm still sucking at this though, even doing the practice exams I'm getting terrible scores, I really don't think I'm going to ever pass the exam.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

AntennaGeek posted:

I never took the class, read the book by Michael Jang, and got a perfect score on the RHCSA. The book prepares you well for the test, so with that and a good amount of experience with Linux you should be fine.

There was one guy in the exam with me that got up, yelled at the instructor (their instructor proctored the exam, too), then left without finishing. I thought the exam format was cool, but is definitely harder than multiple choice if not good with the material.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

ukrainius maximus posted:

Welp I failed the 220-801 exam by 29 loving points so I feel like a real dummy now. I know exactly what I hosed up on and didn't really prepare myself fully for the test. I'm kicking myself in my nuts now because my girlfriend told me to look my poo poo over the night before, which I did not do, so maybe those god drat 29 points could have come from that.

Really I'm just pissed that I wasted a good amount of money on that shot. When I go to re-take the exam, will it be the same exact test or will some things be different?

If I may ask, what did you gently caress up on/not read up enough about? Planning on taking mine in a few weeks and want to be sure I'm prepared for it.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

I'm currently studying for the MS 70-680 exam. I'm using a couple books, but combining them with this series of videos on YouTube. Seeing what they are talking about in action helped a LOT.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007

Kaethela posted:

If I may ask, what did you gently caress up on/not read up enough about? Planning on taking mine in a few weeks and want to be sure I'm prepared for it.

Well, I've been working in the field for 3 years so I figured I would do just fine. I spent about 4 months slogging through the Mike Myers book because it was boring as poo poo and some of the early stuff is what got me. I know for a fact I hosed up on naming basically every socket/connection on a motherboard because I simply didn't remember. Other than that, I also poo poo the bed when it came to questions like the max speed of USB 2.0 and some port related questions.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

ascii larry posted:

Does anyone know if this has been implemented yet? Or is it for the next round of CompTIA tests? I'm looking to book Network+ soon, specifically.
When I took Security+ a few months back there were 3 lab questions to begin the exam that were apparently new and as far I know they count the same as the other 98 multiple choice questions. They were relatively simple like matching ports to a service via a dropdown list, watching a graphic and determining what kind of attack was going on (Smurf Attack!), and I think the last one was configuring a WAP to be most secure considering the network hardware on their diagram.

I wouldn't worry too much about them because they didn't add any difficulty.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
I'm currently studying for the PC Pro certification as part of my school's electronics curriculum. According to TestOut (who, of course, manages the cert) the PC Pro certification contains the A+ cert as well as a practical demonstration element. The question I've got is whether this is anything comparable to the A+, does it contain the A+, or is it just a junk cert that won't be worth the paper it's printed on once I'm done?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

theperminator posted:

My second try at the 70-647 exam is booked for the week after next.

I'm still sucking at this though, even doing the practice exams I'm getting terrible scores, I really don't think I'm going to ever pass the exam.

Feeling this pain. I have to take my 3rd shot at it soon.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

ukrainius maximus posted:

Definitely will not be identical (i.e. same questions), though the format will be the same. Don't feel dumb about it, just be better prepared next time. In future though, look into using a second shot voucher. It's a promo code you use when registering for the exam, and if you fail you get to try again free. They're mutually exclusive of the X% off ones though, so you have to pick one or the other. Check on ebay.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Gave my score to the teacher and requested the voucher for the 802. Should be here in the next few days, so I might be taking that this weekend. There's no way I'm going to get another 900 on this one so I might as well accept that. Hopefully I at least pass and get myself my full certificate. Already had a few jobs say to me "everything is good but you need your A+", so here's hoping.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

Definitely will not be identical (i.e. same questions), though the format will be the same. Don't feel dumb about it, just be better prepared next time. In future though, look into using a second shot voucher. It's a promo code you use when registering for the exam, and if you fail you get to try again free. They're mutually exclusive of the X% off ones though, so you have to pick one or the other. Check on ebay.

Never knew about that, wish I had known beforehand. Cheers for that though.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Does anyone have an experience with training contracts?

My company wants me to sign a 3-year "I will not terminate my employment" contract for every cert I go for, effective the date I get my cert.

I'm concerned because it looks like I get no protection whatsoever. They could fire me because my hair was brown and I'd still be on the hook for the cost of the training and cert.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I am/was in a situation where my employer has the ability to take any training from the past year if I leave. Basically nothing became of it, my new company offered to pay if he did demand it.

Also, if they fire you then really good loving chance that breaks the contract, seeing as they were the party that did it you could not be held responsible.

If you want your bases covered for any huff puff, take the document to a lawyer and ask him to look it over. He should be able to say what options to company has if you are terminated.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 24, 2013

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
If I take a $1200 training class (which is not a requirement for contract) in January, over the next 12mths it slowly depreciates until gone (basically $100mth). If I leave within that 12mth period, I owe the remaining balance.

I would think that if they fire you, they shouldn't be able to collect on that, but a lot could depend on why you were fired.

Typically I try to do all my training via self-study and pay for the tests on my own dime. I just don't like tying myself to those type contracts.

Are you being forced to sign it for employment or because they need you to get some certification?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

routenull0 posted:

Are you being forced to sign it for employment or because they need you to get some certification?

Yearly review objective, they need me to get certified in a few products, etc.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Yearly review objective, they need me to get certified in a few products, etc.

Is it cost prohibitive to do them on your own?

Your options are pretty limited in the end:
1) Tell them you'll get certified on your own dime
2) Sign the contract, allow them to pay and hope to not get terminated or leave
3) Have a lawyer look it over and see if it holds any water with respect to termination via the company
4) Refuse to sign it and be terminated

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

routenull0 posted:

3) Have a lawyer look it over and see if it holds any water with respect to termination via the company

Option 3 worked out. It only applies if I voluntarily leave. That makes a great deal more sense to me.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Option 3 worked out. It only applies if I voluntarily leave. That makes a great deal more sense to me.

Good deal. That is typically the way it works, so if it was even if they terminated you, that would be a big red flag.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

Fatal posted:

Thought it was that but it's not.

Looking more into this and it doesn't appear you have to complete the CCNP within a year by my understanding, just have to pass one of the required exams each year. Passing a professional level exam extends your timeline by a year from that date. I.E. Pass SWITCH - Jan 1,2013, by Jan 1, 2014, you have pass ROUTE or TSHOOT, which gives you until Jan 1, 2015, etc. Effectively giving you 3 years to complete the CCNP.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

routenull0 posted:

Looking more into this and it doesn't appear you have to complete the CCNP within a year by my understanding, just have to pass one of the required exams each year. Passing a professional level exam extends your timeline by a year from that date. I.E. Pass SWITCH - Jan 1,2013, by Jan 1, 2014, you have pass ROUTE or TSHOOT, which gives you until Jan 1, 2015, etc. Effectively giving you 3 years to complete the CCNP.

Can you apply for extensions due to, say, being overseas? Or is Cisco a douche when it comes to that?

e: According to this forum post you have 3 years from the time you pass the first to pass the other two.

psydude fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 25, 2013

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
From the MeasureUp test that came with my Network+ book, took the 200 question test. Got a 86%. A bunch of questions I would have gotten right if I just would have read the question one more time. Open circuit, closed circuit, split pair simply frustrate me. I'm starting to get that down but Jesus, my brain just goes for a loop when I see those questions.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

For review, I just read the wikipedia article on OSPF. It manages to do in several pages what Odom takes 4 or 5 chapters to do in the press book.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

Can you apply for extensions due to, say, being overseas? Or is Cisco a douche when it comes to that?

e: According to this forum post you have 3 years from the time you pass the first to pass the other two.

Given they use a worldwide testing company, I doubt there is an option to apply for extensions. Team member of mine was overseas in Afghanistan and had to renew, so he took leave and flew to Dubai to take the exam.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
That said, I feel pretty bad for anyone up against a deadline right now with anything through Pearson VUE. They did some system updates earlier this week and pretty much their entire system has been tits up ever since.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Bahhhh! I was gonna schedule a test tomorrow. Are they completely down or is just their web site down or what's the issue?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

hackedaccount posted:

Bahhhh! I was gonna schedule a test tomorrow. Are they completely down or is just their web site down or what's the issue?

It's exceedingly slow when it works, lots of random 503 errors.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

hackedaccount posted:

Allegedly you can schedule by phone, but I've heard mixed reports over whether they're able to do it or not either. I'm not in any particular rush, so personally I'm waiting until they get their poo poo sorted out.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
The system's back up, I just scheduled my 802 exam for tomorrow. Going through the materials again to make sure I know what I'm getting into. Palms sweating, knees weak, arms heavy, vomit on sweater, mom's spaghetti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah I was going to schedule ROUTE two nights ago, but it was down so I wound up drinking instead.