Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

New DA video of a party around lv148-152 running into Death and getting one shotted. :haw:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RSwGnb2mB8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Hahaha, talk about the most telegraphed attack at least. Also when did they add the Retry On Easy Mode

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
"No, stop! I've learned new techniques..."

It's still Dragon's Dogma, all right.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
Hmm, maybe the new place won't be a joke for level 150s.

Or, well, maybe it will be still. Judging by what I could(sorta kinda) see they were using lesser gear(which I imagine you'd want to if you were that high and wanted to equalize-that multishot was doing literally nothing to Death), and that Death 1 shot is just that anyway-extremely telegraphed, doesn't matter if you're 50 or 150. (There's another enemy with a very very high damaging attack-the guy that hits you with the hammer on the ground-but that one doesn't seem to be a literal one shot; it just does a whole shitload of damage.)

Maybe Death scales with level, though, IRT the fact the shot was doing nothing(if it wasn't them using early gear.)

And I think the Retry on Easy may have been added with the patch that added Easy. Hard mode has a Retry on Normal option.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Rascyc posted:

Hahaha, talk about the most telegraphed attack at least. Also when did they add the Retry On Easy Mode

Is it wrong that I am almost entirely sure I won't have a problem fighting death with a Mystic Knight? Just use Great Cannon with the Holy enchantment and summon three orbs and go to town! You can kill the Ur Dragon (Offline) in one round and way under 8 minutes doing that, assuming you don't have to search long for THAT ONE WEAK SPOT somewhere on his body.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I think that guy died mostly because he got greedy with arrow attacks and didn't keep backpedaling. I am a little concerned that pawns will be easy prey for Death though because their AI can get pretty :downs: and they may not be smart enough to know to back up when starts revving up the scythe. There's no reviving them if they get taken down by him too.

That guy has some more new stuff on his channel too, he is the same one who was uploading stuff from his reviewer copy of the original game before it came out.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I think that guy died mostly because he got greedy with arrow attacks and didn't keep backpedaling. I am a little concerned that pawns will be easy prey for Death though because their AI can get pretty :downs: and they may not be smart enough to know to back up when starts revving up the scythe. There's no reviving them if they get taken down by him too.

That guy has some more new stuff on his channel too, he is the same one who was uploading stuff from his reviewer copy of the original game before it came out.

Yeah. Speaking of getting greedy with arrow attacks his damage was really low, but I'm not sure if he revealed his stats or what. I wonder if the Dragon Tears will affect drop rates on the island as well? When it comes out I'll definitely look into resistances and post what I find in the thread.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 21, 2013

Errant911
Aug 17, 2007
We live by the sword.
Potential new player here torn about what to do. At first glance I thought DA was some extended DLC for DD, and I was originally going to buy DD then get DA if I liked the game. Now that I realize it's a full game, I'm trying to decide if I should wait a couple days and get DA or get DD now (seeing as it's much cheaper) to see if it's the kind of game I would like.

Main reason I want to get the game is for the combat. I'm really tired of point and click or other low-skill combat. I've been immersed in Dark Souls for the past few months and another RPG that is more about player skill than the level of your char is what first attracted me to the game.

I'm hesitant because of the issues with repetitiveness, annoying travel system, etc.

Any advice on whether I should go ahead and grab DD now and postpone DA or wait a few days for DA? Thanks!

Reive
May 21, 2009

Errant911 posted:

Potential new player here torn about what to do. At first glance I thought DA was some extended DLC for DD, and I was originally going to buy DD then get DA if I liked the game. Now that I realize it's a full game, I'm trying to decide if I should wait a couple days and get DA or get DD now (seeing as it's much cheaper) to see if it's the kind of game I would like.

Main reason I want to get the game is for the combat. I'm really tired of point and click or other low-skill combat. I've been immersed in Dark Souls for the past few months and another RPG that is more about player skill than the level of your char is what first attracted me to the game.

I'm hesitant because of the issues with repetitiveness, annoying travel system, etc.

Any advice on whether I should go ahead and grab DD now and postpone DA or wait a few days for DA? Thanks!

Well you could also consider that DA is only $40 new, not a full priced game, you could always rent it as well (as long as you still have an operating rental shop), if you really want to get a copy on the cheap just to give a whirl I'd suggest heading over to the game swap thread I'm sure plenty of goons are offering up copies of the original to upgrade to DA, I for example will put up my 360 copy after I make sure I have enough money to ship it. (ie check day)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Errant911 posted:

Off the bat I say wait for Dark Arisen, it's only 2 days away (In the U.S.) and it comes with the original game, Dogma, and all the DLC for free, no reason not to wait for that I would say. The travel isn't annoying and encourages exploration to complete the map and, coming with Dark Arisen, your first time in the game will be a lot easier because of the Portcrystals I heard they'll be planting in the game so you can get more than just one without having to fully complete it first.

It's interesting that you've asked this too because my friend also asked me about Dragon's Dogma and was curious so I went ahead and just made a bunch of raw videos of certain classes to show the game off to him, and I'll go ahead and link them now for you and anybody else curious. I did have a Ranger video but I lost it, but longbows in this game are loving awesome and I dare say the archery in Dragon's Dogma is the best in any game release in the past few years.

Magic Archer 1
Magic Archer 2
Sorceror
Mystic Knight
Warrior

Errant911
Aug 17, 2007
We live by the sword.
Ah okay, I did not realize Dark Arisen included Dogma. I will just wait, $40 isn't bad at all.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Errant911 posted:

Unless you're getting DD for like 5 bucks I would just wait and check out trip reports on DA.

DA should fix travel system. If anything it should feel more rewarding because you will have to set the travel system up yourself by getting the new portalstones yourself and setting them where you want. The default ones should fix the most obnoxious ones. Repetitiveness should be a little mitigated since they added some of the DA stuff to the base world, and you will be travelling less.

Honestly the repetitiveness is what you make of it: people who play the same 2 classes all game, doing the same thing, are worse off than people who try like 6 classes and just want to gently caress around. Remember we're talking about a game where you can kill a goblin from just smashing its head in, to lighting yourself on fire and picking it up, or even just chucking it right off a cliff because hey there's a cliff right there and surely I should be allowed to do that without playing collision magic like in other games!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
EDIT: Oops, misunderstood the youtube comment.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 21, 2013

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Errant911 posted:

Ah okay, I did not realize Dark Arisen included Dogma. I will just wait, $40 isn't bad at all.

I'm kinda surprised it costs that much in the US. Amazon UK have Dark Arisen as low as £18 ($27). I Ebay'd my copy of the original version for £19, so I'm literally making a profit on this upgrade.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 22, 2013

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

RatHat posted:

The comments on this video say that this is a debug mode for testing purposes. Death was also invincible, so the one-shot may not be accurate to the final game.

That comment was in reply to another person I thought?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I don't think there's much of a reason to actually buy the original Dragon's Dogma now. You get a few bonuses from loading up your old save in Dark Arisen but you can get that through a rental, as I understand it's not a character import thing and you just load up your DD save in DA and continue where you left off.

RatHat posted:

The comments on this video say that this is a debug mode for testing purposes. Death was also invincible, so the one-shot may not be accurate to the final game.

It didn't look like Death was invincible, he wasn't doing much damage but he managed to take a small sliver of his life bar down.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lunethex posted:

That comment was in reply to another person I thought?

Yeah my bad, he was talking about a different video.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I think it's safe to say from this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofv6fAXixBc trailer that Death's scythe is a one hit killer, or close to it.

Edit: I like all those water bottles I've been collecting can actually be useful, toss it on a fire saurian to douse it.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 22, 2013

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I think it's safe to say from this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofv6fAXixBc trailer that Death's scythe is a one hit killer, or close to it.

Edit: I like all those water bottles I've been collecting can actually be useful, toss it on a fire saurian to douse it.

I heard that if he kills all your pawns he will vanish as well, probably something that will need to be farmed solo if he drops anything good. Hope we can actually get that scythe!

...Then it will probably be warrior only, gently caress :(

At the same time I wonder if his lantern would be a special kind that makes enemies fall asleep when you wear it. I just like imagining the awesome loot we could get from hard bosses. Well, only a day more and we'll find out!

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe
If any of you guys on the ps3 version want a ~50ish ranger to tag along with you, add me on PSN! I'm also up for taking lower level guys out to party, since I'm just dicking around until DA comes out.

PSN ID: Same as my SA name, Sombererolad

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Similarly, if anyone's looking for a capable fighter to keep the heat off you on 360, my pawn Desdemona's gotten plenty of compliments. GT is Bang Bat.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I'll help your pawns explore Bitterblack (on PS3) once I get settled into it. I also hope we can help each other with the new items and have some information regarding that stuff. I'll be giving away more than the average person on anything new I find and/or "rarefy."

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The old Google doc for PSN/XBL pawns still exists.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjSfcATozBXidFB3ZVVQUDA2d2tfZElncXB4ZXk0OWc#gid=0

The IRC channel is still around too.
#dogmagoons @ irc.synirc.net (Mibbit link)

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 22, 2013

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
this game makes me want to get a console.

I love the idea of just grabbing anything you like.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Count me in as well, my Pawn is around Lv 78 and I'll also be around for assistance on DA's launch, my Massive, heavily armoured Lady Pawn never gets many requests thesedays. :saddowns:
PSN: JudgeTesla for those who want some tanky action.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I started a new save file and planned on playing for just a little bit to get myself re-acclimated for DA but then I ended up playing for 20 hours. :sweatdrop:

Troffen on PSN if you want a level 40-ish Sorceror.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Motherfucker posted:

this game makes me want to get a console.

I love the idea of just grabbing anything you like.
Just remember it's anyone, not anything. Also pretty much anything in your inventory can be thrown I think but it's not very practical because going into the menus to access inventory is such a pain in the rear end. There really isn't too much world interaction with the exception of the odd ballista here and there.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DA looks pretty cool and I love DD so I'll probably get it unless it somehow manages to be terrible, but I'm not sure I want to drop $40 on an expansion right now.

Rascyc posted:

Just remember it's anyone, not anything. Also pretty much anything in your inventory can be thrown I think but it's not very practical because going into the menus to access inventory is such a pain in the rear end. There really isn't too much world interaction with the exception of the odd ballista here and there.

This is one thing that kind of bothered me about all the items in DD. There are so many details and possibilities, like making an enemy vulnerable to fire by throwing an oil jar at them, it's just that actually doing that entails opening a menu, looking through a whole bunch of stuff, and selecting the thing you want just for that one instance.

You have to jump out of the action for like ten seconds if you ever want to do anything very basic like that, so I pretty much never used items aside from a couple easy-to-remember kinds of curatives.

I know it's been said many times before but this is one reason why I think DD's mechanics really deserve a PC version. The game has so much potential but a lot of it is restricted due to a poor frame rate and some systems that make it awkward to really explore all your options. If the game ran at 60 FPS and you could put items on hotkeys 1-9 with mouse-controlled camera while climbing on stuff, so many of the game's flaws would just disappear.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 22, 2013

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
Did most people get the PS3 or 360 version of DD? I'm assuming both are equally bad in terms of framerate etc...

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Camaro83 posted:

Did most people get the PS3 or 360 version of DD? I'm assuming both are equally bad in terms of framerate etc...

Framerate isn't great on either, but it's significantly worse on PS3, at least in the original incarnation of the game.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
edit: nevermind

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Looking a lot like those HD textures are in fact the original textures which were shoved off of the 360 disc to make room for new Dark Arisen content. Explains why they only ever came up in talk about the 360 version.

Here's a video comparing them: youtube.com/watch?v=PnJ9JnhzAqY

Yeah you're probably going to want to install those. :stare:

Edit: sure would be nice if any of these people who have early copies would bother confirming whether or not you can get the bonuses in a new Dark Arisen game just by having a save from the original on your console.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 22, 2013

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Dominic White posted:

Framerate isn't great on either, but it's significantly worse on PS3, at least in the original incarnation of the game.
For those who don't bother to read the article, keep in mind the 'better' framerate on the 360 comes at the cost of screen tearing. I can't vouch for it since I went with PS3 personally, but I remember a lot people complaining about it at DD's launch.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Rascyc posted:

For those who don't bother to read the article, keep in mind the 'better' framerate on the 360 comes at the cost of screen tearing. I can't vouch for it since I went with PS3 personally, but I remember a lot people complaining about it at DD's launch.

Yeah, they force VSync on PS3. 360 usually doesn't have that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Gestalt Intellect posted:

DA looks pretty cool and I love DD so I'll probably get it unless it somehow manages to be terrible, but I'm not sure I want to drop $40 on an expansion right now.

You could do what I did. I "paid it forward" and gave someone else my copy of DD in anticipation of getting of DA, and now that guy is going to get DA for himself and is passing my original DD copy to someone else. So I see it as paying 40 dollars to get more people to like the game on top of everything else. More pawns, more sales for a good game that I want to see more of.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Out of all these videos, I didn't expect the Warrior/2h greatsword style to be by far the most badass. Might have to reconsider how I'll play this game.

edit: good lord those slinging metallic/impact sound effects. :allears:

edit2: holy poo poo now the warrior has a giant mace and it's even more awesome than the sword.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 22, 2013

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

Lotish posted:

You could do what I did. I "paid it forward" and gave someone else my copy of DD in anticipation of getting of DA, and now that guy is going to get DA for himself and is passing my original DD copy to someone else. So I see it as paying 40 dollars to get more people to like the game on top of everything else. More pawns, more sales for a good game that I want to see more of.
This is exactly how I ended up starting DD a couple of weeks ago and pre-ordering DA. I'd actually been wavering on the game, and was holding off to wait for reviews of the expansion, but a friend convinced me to borrow his disc and, welp, now I'm 30+ hours in with an old man sorcerer pawn (PSN: StrawberryJan) that I'll be bringing over into DA on Tuesday.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Rascyc posted:

They said they were doing something with the menus in DA, has anyone seen what has come of this?

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
Re: Warrior-Make sure that you have a physical, ranged pawn with a good AI for some monsters, else you're going to be in for a world of utter pain. Warrior, as it stands, only can equip 3 abilities as opposed to *every other classes* six, and has no ranged abilities whatsoever, so good pawn selection can help out a lot.

It's a fun class, and my own pawn is a warrior, and I play one from time to time when I'm not playing Assassin(along with Fighter)-but I always make sure to have 2 very good, properly kitted out, skill-selected pawns of a ranger and a sorcerer or mage with me at all times when I play one. (With proper inclinations as well.) Metal Golems will make you cry hard. Hell, sometimes even with proper inclinations it can go wrong. I remember when I had made the mistake the first time with the metal golems, even with my pawn as Scather/Utilitarian(the latter is the 'helpful' inclination), I could not get him to boost me up to the highest icon in the room, and the Golem just would not listen to me when I tried to lure him under the thing so I could use it as a springboard. After I have no idea how long of this nonsense I left the room, turned Assassin, and beat the thing in about a minute. That I think may have been the point that started to sour me on the class, which is a drat shame because stylistically they're freakin' cool. Hopefully come DA they have SOME sorta 'throw your sword like a boomerang' attack or something. THAT would honestly help them a whole shitload.

Death is going to murder melee pawns left and right. While the ability is well-telegraphed for a player, I guess it depends how fast they listen to your 'come!' command when you get out of Dodge. Hmm. You know, the more I look at these new monsters the more I see big middle fingers to melee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

Out of all these videos, I didn't expect the Warrior/2h greatsword style to be by far the most badass. Might have to reconsider how I'll play this game.

edit: good lord those slinging metallic/impact sound effects. :allears:

edit2: holy poo poo now the warrior has a giant mace and it's even more awesome than the sword.

If you're into sound effects the sound of wood being bent and strings being pulled for longbows might also greatly interest you. Or maybe that's just me and you eventually get addicted to that feeling of taking an awesome stance and firing that one incredibly lethal shot. If you're accurate enough the full charge shot on Longbows (I forgot the name) is great, when you time the shot to the red meter filling you get a slow-mo shot that does huge damage. Get an elemental effect from a mage on you and hit the enemy's weak area and you just feel so satisfied.

• Locked thread