Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Solidus posted:

i posted earlier in this thread once before but I'm one of the three people that work for Tomas, I do all the graphic design for streetlight/toh kay, and I don't want to "go on the record" because it is an insaaaaaaaaaaaaaanely complicated situation wrapped up in three separate litigations but right now is the absolute worst things have been between us and victory. I really wish I could talk about the stuff going on behind the scenes of all this drama but I'd probably get sued by victory. All I'll say is that Tony Brummel is like Uwe Boll and the westboro baptist church put together.

Yo gently caress all the poo poo with Victory, I just want to say you do some amazing graphic design poo poo. I hope the litigation ends relatively soon and that all four of you are collaborating on a massive Word document about all of this that will magically appear the day it's all over with.

bowmore posted:

Where can I buy a digital download of the new Streetlight that isn't itunes?

Nowhere, right now, since it isn't out yet, but Amazon will have it in a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dickeye posted:

Nowhere, right now, since it isn't out yet, but Amazon will have it in a week.
I can't use Amazon because of :australia:, are there any super cool alternatives to amazon/itunes?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Solidus posted:

i posted earlier in this thread once before but I'm one of the three people that work for Tomas, I do all the graphic design for streetlight/toh kay, and I don't want to "go on the record" because it is an insaaaaaaaaaaaaaanely complicated situation wrapped up in three separate litigations but right now is the absolute worst things have been between us and victory. I really wish I could talk about the stuff going on behind the scenes of all this drama but I'd probably get sued by victory. All I'll say is that Tony Brummel is like Uwe Boll and the westboro baptist church put together.

Your graphic design poo poo is amazing if you really work for Tomas.

Hope everything goes well for you guys and you can finally be free of that sack of poo poo Tony Victory soon.

Thanks for all the hard work you and everyone affiliated with SM has put into this new record. It rules. I would buy a second megabundle just to support you all if I could.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

bowmore posted:

I can't use Amazon because of :australia:, are there any super cool alternatives to amazon/itunes?

emusic? I don't know, where do you normally buy mp3s? They'll probably have it! Just not for another week and a half.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Dickeye posted:

emusic? I don't know, where do you normally buy mp3s? They'll probably have it! Just not for another week and a half.

Not actually available in Australia.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I usually buy direct from the artist or from bandcamp.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Solidus posted:

Hey man, you make some cool-as-beans artwork and its super awesome. Too bad Victory are shitlords of the highest magnitude.

If you don't mind sharing, how did you get the job in the firstplace? Are you contractually employed to RISC (or something related) or are you just Tom's favorite freelancer?

mogran
Jun 25, 2011

Dickeye posted:

This album is so good. I feel like I'm 18 and listening to Somewhere in the Between in study hall for the first time all over again. That's how loving good it is, it's reminding me how awesome that album sounded the very first time I heard it. I've got a giant boner.

It is this for me exactly. They are amazing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FedoraDefender420 posted:

Not actually available in Australia.

I honestly don't get the point of the question anymore.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think I'll just splash out for vinyl if it comes with digital download.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
If it doesn't, you could always just buy it on itunes, and then use audacity to record it onto a file format you enjoy. It'd take some work but it'd get the job done.

VVV Ah, poo poo, I had no idea.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 21, 2013

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's nothing to do with that since you can make mp3 files of iTunes songs and they are DRM free, they are just price gouging scumbags, most songs/albums are almost double the price in :australia:

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Possibly controversial opinion: I think this album blows "Somewhere In The Between" out of the water. Admittedly I wasn't as high on that album as most SM fans (give me We Will Fall Together, Watch It Crash and the title track and I could do without the rest), but THTT has far less weaker spots, IMO.

Of course, the weak spots on this album (to me) are If Only For Memories, Toe To Toe and (maybe) Your Day Will Come, so I realize our opinions can be wildly different since these seem to be favorites amongst others. All I know is I can't stop listening to this album and my neighbors are probably wondering when I'm gonna change it up and play something else.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Solidus posted:

I assume you are no lawyer but, do you think there will be a time when people will be able to talk about all this without having to worry about lawsuits? Or, even after the contracts are over, it is still going to have to remain vague? Also, nice graphic designing.

bowmore posted:

It's nothing to do with that since you can make mp3 files of iTunes songs and they are DRM free, they are just price gouging scumbags, most songs/albums are almost double the price in :australia:

What is up with Aussie digital media pricing? Is this because of your weird internet infrastructure and data limits?

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

aricoarena posted:

What is up with Aussie digital media pricing? Is this because of your weird internet infrastructure and data limits?

It used to be justified by "well we charge more because we have to ship everything across the ocean." But now it's literally just price gouging with no justification other than "well we know you'll pay that much."

I just avoid buying anything that I know is marked up and circumvent it any way possible...

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bowmore posted:

Try http://www.iomoio.com/

Not sure if they'll get SM, but the USD to their credits conversion makes full albums a couple bucks each.

E: I know you're in OZ, but hopefully the currency conversion favors you as well.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

aricoarena posted:

We're way richer than you.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Toh Kay version no longer on Amazon.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Toh Kay version no longer on Amazon.

edit: Never mind, I had searched for "Toh Kay" but it was the Streetlight version that came up.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Try http://www.iomoio.com/

Not sure if they'll get SM, but the USD to their credits conversion makes full albums a couple bucks each.

E: I know you're in OZ, but hopefully the currency conversion favors you as well.
Thanks for this, hopefully the new Streetlight turns up soon. The website looks the goods.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
When does the new Streelight ship? I ordered it a decade ago and just want to know when I can expect it.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

rear end Catchcum posted:

When does the new Streelight ship? I ordered it a decade ago and just want to know when I can expect it.

I believe the RISC store is shipping orders a few days before the 4/30 release date, so maybe later this week?

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
When I got Streetlight Lullabies, they managed to time it so the album arrived exactly the day it came out. So my guess would be they ship it on Friday or Saturday and it arrives right on 4/30.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
When I saw 82 new replies to this thread, I knew one of two things happened. Either Streetlight leaked, or Jeff Rosenstock died. Glad I was not disappointed.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I wish the second one were true...

In other news a lot of my friends have had lovely dealings with Victory. For a label with such good acts I almost couldn't believe the stories I heard about Brummel. Dude is such a terrible loving dude and I hope Victory goes bankrupt and he's found embezzling or something.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
Just for that comment Jeff Rosenstock is going to end up the Ozzy Osbourne of ska.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...

Hobbit posted:

Just for that comment Jeff Rosenstock is going to end up the Ozzy Osbourne of ska.

You mean started out amazing and ended mediocre? :v:

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Beowulf posted:

You mean started out amazing and ended mediocre? :v:

:rimshot:

Well played sir...well played

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Four full days of listening to this album and it's still incredible. Definitely think it eclipses SITB. Not as good as EGN but then again, what is?

any other goons going to the show at Bogart's in June? I was ridiculously excited before hearing the album, now I absolutely can't wait.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
jeff is a p cool dude hth

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

nasboat posted:

Four full days of listening to this album and it's still incredible. Definitely think it eclipses SITB. Not as good as EGN but then again, what is?

I didn't like it at first but the relistens have softened me up to it. Very much worth the wait and yeah it's way better than SITB.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Obama Yo Mama posted:

jeff is a p cool dude hth

qiyd, bummed I missed him on Andrew Jackson Jihad's tour last fall.

I've been whistling With any Sort of Certainty all day and it has seriously had me in an amazing mood.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

Miscellaneous_T posted:

You're allowed to like the album all you want, it's not my intention to try to take that away from anyone. I wish I could like this album more than I do, my friends and I used to follow them on tour during the Everything Goes Numb era and they played some of the best shows I've ever been to. But just consider for a moment that in 2005, Bomb the Music Industry! released Album Minus Band, then after a six year period released something so radically different and much more mature in aesthetic and production that you'd have a hard time believing they were by the same artist. You can tell that behind the music there is a person who has their own taste in music and those tastes are constantly changing and shifting in interest; you could easily make a comparison with the 'Mats earlier material compared to their later stuff. Whereas with Streetlight, there's this whiff of stagnation. They just keep coming back to the well for these token anthemic, mid-tempo gang-vocal cheers with loud-quiet dynamics, or the slow-starting tempo builder that peaks as a jaunty punk tune featuring a horn line reminiscent of "Point/Counterpoint" (2:13 for "One Foot," 2:37 for "Your Day"), itself reminiscent of "Keasbey Nights". It's become so formulaic to me, and I'm starting to get bored.

Strange, because I felt this way about Somewhere in the Between and was really disappointed.
There certainly are formulaic similarities but I think the key difference (to me at least), is that it has energy and feels more honest. I don't know.
SitB was very constructed and deliberate in song composition and tone, and I feel it lost something that EWN had. ThhT is a kind of synthesis of both.
I appreciate the point but comparisons to Bomb is a bit unfair because Jeff is batshit insane.

Oh yeah! Not to mention the loving catharsis of hearing a Kalnoky recording that isn't a cover.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Holy poo poo this is goddamned awesome and my new favorite thing.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

The world would be better with more 8-bit hardcore songs.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Tomas sent a tweet to Reddit asking if they'd have any interested in setting up an AMA. Does this mean he's ready to tell the full story? That'd be pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/tohkay/status/326473021772660737

Any word yet on when the RISC store is shipping out preorders? I'd think they would need to go out today to make it in by the 30th.

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone else feel like the solo in "Your Day will come" at ~1:30 is from another song? It is similar to a solo from a solo in "One foot on the Gas and on foot in the grave", but it is not the same. it just feels like it could go whole piece into another song.

Deargodalion fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 26, 2013

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

Yeah, it's for that reason it's probably my least favourite song on the album. It just feels like streetlight on auto-pilot and I zone out whenever it comes on. It might sound better as a Toh Kay track though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Gravastars posted:

Yeah, it's for that reason it's probably my least favourite song on the album. It just feels like streetlight on auto-pilot and I zone out whenever it comes on. It might sound better as a Toh Kay track though.

...I completely forgot about the fact that we're getting an acoustic version of this album :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Finally got a chance to listen to the whole album without lots of distractions. This might change, as my preferences in Streetlight songs often do on later listenings, but my favorite song on THTT is "Ungrateful." The album seems front loaded; most of the best songs on the album are tracks 1, 2, and 4. I kind of drifted off for "With Any Sort of Certainty," "If Only For Memories," and "They Broke Him Down." "Toe to Toe" definitely held my attention but was lacking the power I've come to expect from the Streetlight horn section. The solo in that song was just a bit too jazzy for me. As mentioned, "Oh Me, Oh My" is pretty much an ASOB song, and I'm totally ok with that.

Overall the album is better than pretty much everything else being released right now, but it is also the weakest of the three SM albums to date. It just doesn't have the raw energy contained in EGN and SITB. I really do want to hear the Toh Kay version though, as I think that the more mellow energy will come out much better on acoustic instruments. Toh Kay's version of "With Any Sort of Certainty" kind of gives me Johnny Cash vibes.

THTT definitely exposes the direction Tomas is going musically these days, and it actually lessens the blow that Streetlight is done after this knowing that good music will still be coming our way but it'll be different, rather than hackneyed.