Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Oh good Dreamcast games again? Don't forget Bangai-O, CvS2, Elemental Gimmick Gear, and the puzzle and shmupbrowser poweredmulti-game discs

I don't really know or care if CvS2 on the PS2 is "better" in any way because VGA boxes and Dreamcast controllers and my VMU's full of nothing but replays :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I'm so glad I have Bangai-O because I keep trying new versions of the game and don't like any of them nearly as much as the original.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If you are okay waiting WW's price might drop later in the year when the WiiU remake gets released.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Cliff Racer posted:

If you are okay waiting WW's price might drop later in the year when the WiiU remake gets released.

I keep forgetting about that. The WiiU will officially have two games I want to play and they're both games I've already played/have. 3DS library is getting more and more tempting to me though. Two MegaTen games? Sign me up!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

ACID POLICE posted:

Elemental Gimmick Gear

The right time to have bought this has past (prices are getting higher all the time) but that should not stop anyone from grabbing what might be the best looking RPG on Dreamcast.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

This is awesome. I must sell my spare RGB PPU now!

What's kind of weird though is that he considers it a "drop in" solution. I will ignore the technicality that removing the old PPU is incredibly difficult, but wouldn't his solution still require building an amp, not to mention (obviously) wiring up something to be able to plug a scart or s-video cable into the NES in the first place?

Forgive me, as I've never had an NES motherboard in front of me... isn't the PPU just a standard dip IC soldered to the board? If so, if you have the right tools, it'd be incredibly easy to remove. :smuggo:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ACID POLICE posted:

Oh good Dreamcast games again? Don't forget Bangai-O, CvS2, Elemental Gimmick Gear, and the puzzle and shmupbrowser poweredmulti-game discs

I don't really know or care if CvS2 on the PS2 is "better" in any way because VGA boxes and Dreamcast controllers and my VMU's full of nothing but replays :colbert:

zenintrude posted:

The right time to have bought this has past (prices are getting higher all the time) but that should not stop anyone from grabbing what might be the best looking RPG on Dreamcast.

There isn't a PAL version of E.G.G. :eng99:

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
Was thinking about biting the bullet on a flash cart for the SNES, which is the goon-preferred Everdrive or SD2SNES? Best place to buy? etc.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

BrokenKnees posted:

Was thinking about biting the bullet on a flash cart for the SNES, which is the goon-preferred Everdrive or SD2SNES? Best place to buy? etc.

SD2SNES all day long, buy directly from krikzz: http://shop.retrogate.com/

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh, there is one more Dreamcast game I can recommend - Headhunter. I haven't played it myself (keep meaning to track down a copy), but every single review or mention of the game says it's drat good.

I thought it was a great game. Gameplay is a mix of Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid with an open world bike sections between stages. Graphics were amazing for the time and the plot was silly but really enjoyable B-movie schlock (the live action news broadcasts are hilarious).

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

the_lion posted:

Doing my first run of Super Metroid, never played before. Sweet game, but I can't get that goddamn walljump to work. I just got the ice beam.

This was on the last page, but I wanted to help out. The easiest way to master wall jumping in Super Metroid is to remember that you don't push away from the wall and jump at the same time- if you're flipping towards a wall on your left, the button input should be:

(holding Left towards wall) ... (Tap and release right) ... (Jump)

In that order. Don't push away and jump at the same time- jump has to come AFTER you've already pushed away from the wall. Mega Man X and Mario 64 have conditioned us to walljump by pushing jump and the direction at the same time, but Super Metroid has a pause in the input.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

BrokenKnees posted:

Because I rarely get to post this :

http://retrogooning.com/wiki/Flashcarts

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

the_lion posted:

Doing my first run of Super Metroid, never played before. Sweet game, but I can't get that goddamn walljump to work. I just got the ice beam.

Just as an FYI to save you the headache: I don't remember the wall jump even being necessary unless you want to see literally a tiny pixel fly away from the planet in the ending.

fatpat268 posted:

Forgive me, as I've never had an NES motherboard in front of me... isn't the PPU just a standard dip IC soldered to the board? If so, if you have the right tools, it'd be incredibly easy to remove. :smuggo:

It's in a standard IC port but it's soldered in there and a monumental pain in the rear end to remove.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
While that thing would be drop-in it seems like he's targeting VGA output not RGB 15khz

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

PAL goons... is $21~ shipped to the US a good price for a CIB copy of Headhunter?

I have little knowledge of what a copy typically costs over there or what international shipping costs.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

I can't see why not, but we'd need the dude in the Sega-16 forums to post the fix. Just working off of that one SNES pic isn't enough because the SNES2 motherboard is totally different.

I went ahead and asked for better details, specifically mentioning the SNES2. Unfortunately I don't own a SNES2 and my SNES is a SNS-GPM-CPU-01 or 02, I think.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

zenintrude posted:

PAL goons... is $21~ shipped to the US a good price for a CIB copy of Headhunter?

I have little knowledge of what a copy typically costs over there or what international shipping costs.

Do you specifically need the Dreamcast version? There's also US-released version on the PS2. Otherwise no, if it's standard shipping. Should be looking at about half that, I think.

TheKoleslaw
Apr 22, 2013

Just as an FYI to save you the headache: I don't remember the wall jump even being necessary unless you want to see literally a tiny pixel fly away from the planet in the ending.

If you end up in that pit with the three gremlin-looking guys too early (before you get the space jump,) you *have* to use the wall jumping to get out. I remember it frustrating me to no end when I was a kid.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There isn't a PAL version of E.G.G. :eng99:

You can't even burn it and play it that way (is there actually no way to play it in 50hz)?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do you specifically need the Dreamcast version? There's also US-released version on the PS2. Otherwise no, if it's standard shipping. Should be looking at about half that, I think.

I collect DC (and VGA DC > component PS2) so it's gonna be DC or nothing. Price of the game is £7.50, shipping would be £6.50... so $21~ combined after conversion. You're saying that I should be paying closer to $11?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

zenintrude posted:

There are various boot discs that can accomplish this, but if you want a hardware solution, there is one that works and doesn't involve much technical skill at all:

1. Unscrew and remove the lid from your Dreamcast.
2. Locate the CMOS battery on the controller board and separate the battery from its front solder points.

3. Tape down the lid switch, located to the back-right of the GD-ROM drive.
4. Reattach the lid to your Dreamcast.
5. Insert a region matching disc into your Dreamcast and power up.
6. Leave the Dreamcast displaying the date/time screen as the disc spins for a minute or two.
7. When the disc stops spinning, remove it and replace it with an imported game disc.
8. Exit the date/time screen and the game should boot, bypassing the region detection.

Any idea if this works with ALL Dreamcast games? Sakura Taisen 3 and I think 2 other games don't work with boot CDs.

Another weird question: this is a freakin' long shot and will require extensive digging but I may still have a Dreamcast modchip somewhere in my things. Can that actually be useful in a "put it under a scanner to reproduce" kind of way, or is the lack of DC modchips more of an :effort: problem and not some sort of collective amnesia? I still find it really weird that you can easily (albeit expensively) get Sega Saturn modchips but not Dreamcast ones (again, because a few games aren't region-bypassable otherwise and whose scene rips are downsized).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

zenintrude posted:

I collect DC (and VGA DC > component PS2) so it's gonna be DC or nothing. Price of the game is £7.50, shipping would be £6.50... so $21~ combined after conversion. You're saying that I should be paying closer to $11?

Oh, I thought you meant just the shipping costs :doh: (Not my day today, I swear...). No, $21 all together is perfectly fine, and that's about how much I usually pay in shipping to Australia from the UK.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

univbee posted:

Any idea if this works with ALL Dreamcast games? Sakura Taisen 3 and I think 2 other games don't work with boot CDs.

I don't own ST3, so I can't say... but if your DC's CMOS is already dead (displays date/time at start up) I'd say try it out, there's really nothing to lose.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

While that thing would be drop-in it seems like he's targeting VGA output not RGB 15khz

Oh, I got ya. Supposedly ANOTHER guy who goes by "Tiido" is working on another Nintendo RGB PPU, and he's even going to make it have a jumper/dip switch so you can choose between the RGB or composite color palette.

shymog posted:

I went ahead and asked for better details, specifically mentioning the SNES2. Unfortunately I don't own a SNES2 and my SNES is a SNS-GPM-CPU-01 or 02, I think.

That's great, thanks. However, you'd still benefit even with your CPU-01; I'd imagine it gets rid of the bar on any revision.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

TheKoleslaw posted:

If you end up in that pit with the three gremlin-looking guys too early (before you get the space jump,) you *have* to use the wall jumping to get out. I remember it frustrating me to no end when I was a kid.

Yup, that took me at least an hour to escape. On the plus side, now I can walljump effortlessly and I've almost broken 1 hour real-time for completion! If you enjoy Super Metroid, I'd really encourage you to revisit it after you're done and try playing around with a lot of the skips / glitches / strange runs you can do. Low%, No Boss / Mini Boss, or just plain speed, the game is a ton of fun to play in so many different ways.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

That's great, thanks. However, you'd still benefit even with your CPU-01; I'd imagine it gets rid of the bar on any revision.

TL;DR of this fix he did:

The chips in the SNES work on +5V for power. So halfway through the screen draw the ram refreshes which lets off on the load of the circuit. This causes amperage draw that was being used by the ram to be lowered and causes a fluctuation on the +5V rail from the power supply to the circuitry and by adding caps allows for the system to compensate for the lack of amperage to clean the signal up. This is likely either due to not wide enough traces to the VCC pins or too long of a run on the traces back to the voltage regulators.

TheKoleslaw
Apr 22, 2013

DeathBySpoon posted:

Yup, that took me at least an hour to escape. On the plus side, now I can walljump effortlessly and I've almost broken 1 hour real-time for completion! If you enjoy Super Metroid, I'd really encourage you to revisit it after you're done and try playing around with a lot of the skips / glitches / strange runs you can do. Low%, No Boss / Mini Boss, or just plain speed, the game is a ton of fun to play in so many different ways.

I might fire it up again soon. It was one of the few games in my life that I played through several times. I never got 100% but I'm not that obsessive about most games. If anything, I have to see if I can do the wall jumping right off the bat using your description above. I don't even remember how I got out of that pit the first time.

One game I *did* obsess about was Final Fantasy III ... I had most of the characters up to level 99 but the hardest part was getting all of Gau's rages. It's sick how much time I spent back in the day working on that.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

zenintrude posted:

I hate how games with even the slightest amount of growing interest suddenly jump in price. New copies were $30 two months ago. :negative:

I was gonna buy this after wrapping up my Gamecube collection, but I guess that won't be happening.

mountainmanjed
Apr 2, 2013

ACID POLICE posted:

They're both pretty much the same, either console will do the only versions of cvs2 to avoid are the Xbox and Gamecube versions as they changed the grooves.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Mill Village posted:

I hate how games with even the slightest amount of growing interest suddenly jump in price. New copies were $30 two months ago. :negative:

I was gonna buy this after wrapping up my Gamecube collection, but I guess that won't be happening.

You can still get lucky, but they are averaging $30~40 used at this point.

If you need new, yea, you're going to be looking at around $60.

$10 used CIB EGG is no more :(

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I should dig into my Closet of Forgotten Games more often. I braved into its depths looking for some old Nintendo 64 games. I didn't find them but I did emerge with awesome Dreamcast fighting games. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure are ready to play.

Unfortunately, I also disturbed things that should not be. Copies of Street Fighter, Mega Man, and Mega Man 3 for the PC came back from the darkness with me...

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Random Stranger posted:

I should dig into my Closet of Forgotten Games more often. I braved into its depths looking for some old Nintendo 64 games. I didn't find them but I did emerge with awesome Dreamcast fighting games. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure are ready to play.

Unfortunately, I also disturbed things that should not be. Copies of Street Fighter, Mega Man, and Mega Man 3 for the PC came back from the darkness with me...

Oh god, those Hi-Tech DOS versions? My grandfather had Mega Man 1 and 3 from that line...scary, terrible things, those. :ohdear:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

The Orange Mage posted:

Oh god, those Hi-Tech DOS versions? My grandfather had Mega Man 1 and 3 from that line...scary, terrible things, those. :ohdear:

Nothing will ever come close to DOS Bionic Commando http://www.viddler.com/v/c3b1f4f

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Oh, I got ya. Supposedly ANOTHER guy who goes by "Tiido" is working on another Nintendo RGB PPU, and he's even going to make it have a jumper/dip switch so you can choose between the RGB or composite color palette.

Tiido? I wonder if that's TMee. Maybe he's gotten bored of Genesis/Mega Drive stuff, seeing him work on the SNES bar problem was weird enough, but if it's him working on an RGB PPU that's awesome.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Orange Mage posted:

Oh god, those Hi-Tech DOS versions? My grandfather had Mega Man 1 and 2 from that line...scary, terrible things, those. :ohdear:

There was no Mega Man 2. They went straight to Mega Man 3. They truly are terrible.

And yet the first Mega Man for the PC remains the only Mega Man game I have beaten. :negative:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

zenintrude posted:

Nothing will ever come close to DOS Bionic Commando http://www.viddler.com/v/c3b1f4f

I see your bionic commando and raise you a strider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfGw12XCTnM

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

flyboi posted:

I see your bionic commando and raise you a strider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfGw12XCTnM

That at least vaguely resembles the Strider we all know and love. Bionic Commando is unrecognizable.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

TL;DR of this fix he did:

The chips in the SNES work on +5V for power. So halfway through the screen draw the ram refreshes which lets off on the load of the circuit. This causes amperage draw that was being used by the ram to be lowered and causes a fluctuation on the +5V rail from the power supply to the circuitry and by adding caps allows for the system to compensate for the lack of amperage to clean the signal up. This is likely either due to not wide enough traces to the VCC pins or too long of a run on the traces back to the voltage regulators.

Oh wow. I even swapped voltage regulators from an SNES without the issue to an SNES with the issue and it didn't work; it's really cool to read exactly what's going on.

Thank you so much for the clarification. If you ever care enough to figure out exactly how to do this mod I can try it out, even though I already fixed mine (albeit in a much more crude manner, of course).

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

flyboi posted:

He said in one of the comments that he's targeting both 15kHz and 31kHz, so in theory it should be good either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh, I thought you meant just the shipping costs :doh: (Not my day today, I swear...). No, $21 all together is perfectly fine, and that's about how much I usually pay in shipping to Australia from the UK.

Ended up winning a copy for £4.20 + £4.85 shipping, so about $14 total.

Now to figure out a way to get Moho for less than $100.

• Locked thread