Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

That's why it always seems dumb for people to want Nintendo to be the company that chokes. Nintendo is a gaming company. Their innovations are up until recently always rooted in improving or changing your gaming experience. Would there be any difference to Halo or God of War if they came out on stream? Nope. Would there be a big difference if Nintendo had to make things for other hardware? Definitely.

I don't understand why it's seen as a defeat for Nintendo to release software on other consoles. If a new input method is necessary, they might release an accessory as other developers have done (e.g., Guitar Hero). If you think Wii U interest is dead now, it could get far worse once the hype machines rev up for the next Playstation and Xbox, and you see major cross-platform titles excluding the Wii U.

quote:

Nintendo acts and other game companies react. That's how it has always been. Core gamers are perfectly fine with playing the same Playstation games with updated hardware. They don't want anything to change. And hey! That's perfectly fine. But I don't want that running where the industry goes. Because it's consoles fighting a fruitless battle against the computer industry. Seriously, why is Microsoft making consoles? Why aren't they just selling a controller/hard drive combo for the PC which includes X-Box Live inside it? And then Microsoft could just sell a version of Windows made for gaming.

The Wii U is Nintendo's reaction to touchscreen devices like the iPad. It seems presumptive to assume gamers who own other systems don't want anything to change or are less interested in innovation--especially given Nintendo's modern role as an assembly line for sequels and re-releases. Of course, I don't think Nintendo is going to stop making home consoles this generation. It's an issue of pride for Nintendo and its fans that they keep making home consoles, but it seems like a needless middleman that limits their audience. Clearly, what they're doing now isn't working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Wait, is Dragon Quest X literally just the same game? Not like how MH3U is the same game with twice the content, or Batman with some extra features? Yeah, I'm not sure what they were expecting.

Yeah the WiiU is currently a mess, but they pulled the 3DS out of a deep dark hole and now its the best system available. Maybe lightning can strike twice??? I'm optimistic :unsmith:.

I wonder how many people from the team that planned the 3DS was on the team that planned the WiiU? Or even if there was some overlap in decision-making for the two consoles making that led to this situation.

The 3ds was dragged out of its hole because they cut the price by over a hundred dollars and were practically bribing consumers to buy it, putting out crazy rear end bundles and offering it almost for free if you were upgrading from a normal DS.

This is something that isn't even an option with the WiiU. That controller is really loving expensive (I wouldve gladly traded away some of the stupid luxury features for reduced costs tbh), and systems are already sold at a substantial loss.

Unless they're willing to take an even bigger hit you won't see 32GB models for $250 -150$ with the trade-in of a Wii. Sad thing is at this stage this or a billion amazing games at once will be the only thing that'll turn it around.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 22, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Toady posted:

I don't understand why it's seen as a defeat for Nintendo to release software on other consoles. If a new input method is necessary, they might release an accessory as other developers have done (e.g., Guitar Hero). If you think Wii U interest is dead now, it could get far worse once the hype machines rev up for the next Playstation and Xbox, and you see major cross-platform titles excluding the Wii U.

The simple fact is they have no reason or need to do so - they can do whatever they like and innovate freely without having to work around someone else's hardware or licensing processes. And as for the major cross-platform releases, they've been including the WiiU with open arms.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
An actual high quality Pokemon MMO with current gen console graphics would take so long to make that the Wii U would be dead and buried by the time it was out. Especially if it was from Gamefreak who have no experience with either MMOs or big console games (to my knowledge).

Rake Arms posted:

I think their trump card would more likely be a Xenoblade-sized AAA Pokemon RPG with parties and quests and all that poo poo.

I think this would be far more likely. It would still take a while to make, but not an eon like an MMO.

Toady posted:

The Wii U is Nintendo's reaction to touchscreen devices like the iPad.

Yeah. Nintendo usually does some interesting/innovative stuff with their hardware, but their last 2 consoles have been getting in on the 3D fad near the end of its mainstream appeal and getting in on the tablet fad (or riffing on the DS if you ask a Nintendo fan :haw:).

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And as for the major cross-platform releases, they've been including the WiiU with open arms.

There has been a slew of recently announced major 3rd party games that have ignored the Wii U. Also there are reports of publishers putting even more Wii U ports on hold to see how some of the upcoming ones (Splinter Cell is the one I hear thrown around) do.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 22, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Of course Xbox could be 24/7 online required to play, with barred used games, and the PS4 could be 599 US dollars with ambitious features that don't work as advertised and no games of note.

I mean I thought the Vita would cream the 3DS, when suddenly they had to delay launch six months and Nintendo had a price drop.

Now Nintendo couldn't drop the price of both models but I think they could eliminate the basic, have a new Red model with the 32GB, not including ddp or the charging cradle, with New Super Mario pre installed, for the cost of the current Basic console, and not substantially increase losses, and it would sell great over Christmas. Drop Nintendo Land to forty bucks and throw in a Wiimote plus and increase in store advertising for it so people buying the new red model take note, and you could have a great holiday season.

They could also drop the internal Wii hardware to save some money, as only early adopters tend to care about backwards compatibility, and most Wii services are now being retired.

greatn fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 22, 2013

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
There will likely never be a Pokemon MMO because MMO's are a terrible idea in today's market. They almost always fail. Too big and expensive to develop, and the people that actively play MMOs are either still locked into WoW or take advantage of the wealth of Free to Play MMOs to get their fix. There could be a F2P Pokemon MMO, but why not just crank out another regular pokemon game, charge $40 for both sides of the same game and continue printing money that way?

MMOs ain't the booming business they once were, and that goes exponentially for subscription-based MMOs.

Edit: Also I don't believe "But it's a POKEMON MMO. POKEMON can sell anything!" matters in a world where a STAR WARS MMO fell on its face.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 22, 2013

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Crowbear posted:

An actual high quality Pokemon MMO with current gen console graphics would take so long to make that the Wii U would be dead and buried by the time it was out. Especially if it was from Gamefreak who have no experience with either MMOs or big console games (to my knowledge).

I think this would be far more likely. It would still take a while to make, but not an eon like an MMO.

Yeah. Nintendo usually does some interesting/innovative stuff with their hardware, but their last 2 consoles have been getting in on the 3D fad near the end of its mainstream appeal and getting in on the tablet fad (or riffing on the DS if you ask a Nintendo fan :haw:).

There has been a slew of recently announced major 3rd party games that have ignored the Wii U. Also there are reports of publishers putting even more Wii U ports on hold to see how some of the upcoming ones (Splinter Cell is the one I hear thrown around) do.

Pokemon 3d battlers aren't system sellers, to my knowledge anyway. They can be knocked off pretty cheap and will sell a million or so units, so there's probably some profit to be had, but not so much that it's a must develop. There wasn't one for Gen V for example, and PBR was really bare bones.

(Not to say they're bad or that I don't want one, because I do. I'm in the minority that really likes pokemon colosseum, and I say that having completed it within the last 3 months).

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Soul Glo posted:

Edit: Also I don't believe "But it's a POKEMON MMO. POKEMON can sell anything!" matters in a world where a STAR WARS MMO fell on its face.

Unlike EA, Nintendo knows how to keep their budgets reasonable.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

We need more baseless speculation in this thread

Game speculation

CVG posted:

Which brings me to the Wii U. Regulars at CVG might be aware that I talk down the console's chances in the most definitive language possible whenever asked. Well, from the things I'm hearing, there's a chance I'll soon be added to the reject bin of crazy talking twitter twonks pretty soon.

Hopefully, if we obtain further details from our sources, we'll be in a position to explain more to you soon. But, for now, put it this way: In the past two years there have been moments of disquiet regarding the 3DS and - like an instant magic trick - Nintendo has put an end to this with sudden reveals of significant games that went on to become star performers at Christmas.

source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/402393/blog/never-count-nintendo-out-3ds-push-shows-wii-u-wont-go-quietly/

Virtual console speculation

GTA5 speculation

"Supposedly, inside information points to Take-Two's May 17th investor call as the reveal date. During that call, Take-Two is rumored to have details on GTA V hitting Wii U, PS4, the next Xbox and PC. In other words, it's not just Wii U that's on the cards for GTA V."

source: http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/16872/20130421/gta-5-release-date-pc-wii-u.htm

Cancelled games

Name that game...

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Toady posted:

I don't understand why it's seen as a defeat for Nintendo to release software on other consoles.

Because Nintendo makes consoles to fit the games they want to make.

Toady posted:

The Wii U is Nintendo's reaction to touchscreen devices like the iPad. It seems presumptive to assume gamers who own other systems don't want anything to change or are less interested in innovation--especially given Nintendo's modern role as an assembly line for sequels and re-releases. Of course, I don't think Nintendo is going to stop making home consoles this generation. It's an issue of pride for Nintendo and its fans that they keep making home consoles, but it seems like a needless middleman that limits their audience. Clearly, what they're doing now isn't working.

Everyone is making tablets because tablets are now possible. TV remotes are not reacting to the iPad, they are reacting to the available technology. Same goes with 3D. Same goes with motion control. Nintendo tried motion control with the Power Glove in the 80s. Didn't work then but it did work in the 2000s.

I'm not calling Nintendo this revolutionary company but Nintendo does do things and people say, "WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU USING A DIRECTIONAL PAD I'M USED TO A JOYSTICK" and then they adopt it because Nintendo is good at what they do. If anything it's evolutionary. Nintendo tries to evolve beyond what we're doing for games currently. The other consoles want to do the same thing but wear new makeup. I don't know, motion control wasn't perfect but I'm glad it was tried. I still think holding a Wii-mote and Nunchuk is the most comfortable way to play. I want more than just what most people want. I want to know what I didn't know I wanted.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

elf help book posted:

Unlike EA, Nintendo knows how to keep their budgets reasonable.

Budgets don't matter when MMOs aren't successful. There's a reason the majority of them are free to play now.

I really wish PSO2 would come out on the Wii U. It would work well on the Gamepad.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Long John Power posted:

Game speculation

source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/402393/blog/never-count-nintendo-out-3ds-push-shows-wii-u-wont-go-quietly/

GTA5 speculation

"Supposedly, inside information points to Take-Two's May 17th investor call as the reveal date. During that call, Take-Two is rumored to have details on GTA V hitting Wii U, PS4, the next Xbox and PC. In other words, it's not just Wii U that's on the cards for GTA V."

source: http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/16872/20130421/gta-5-release-date-pc-wii-u.htm

Cancelled games

Name that game...

If things go the way I'm expecting at E3, Nintendo are going to be firmly focused on pissing all over the PS4/Xbox's respective bonfire. Releasing a console at Christmas could be suicide if Nintendo have been saving all their big hitters for an absolute release armageddon.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

MrFlibble posted:

(Not to say they're bad or that I don't want one, because I do. I'm in the minority that really likes pokemon colosseum, and I say that having completed it within the last 3 months).

To be fair, Pokemon Colosseum had a whole drat story mode to play through.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Soul Glo posted:

Budgets don't matter when MMOs aren't successful. There's a reason the majority of them are free to play now.

If Nintendo made an MMO it'd likely be free to play aside from buying the game.

Actually I'm a moron, the greatest MMO Nintendo could make is loving Animal Crossing. I know people who make 100K+ a year who would go bankrupt in a year if they did that.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Because Nintendo makes consoles to fit the games they want to make.

Everyone is making tablets because tablets are now possible. TV remotes are not reacting to the iPad, they are reacting to the available technology. Same goes with 3D. Same goes with motion control. Nintendo tried motion control with the Power Glove in the 80s. Didn't work then but it did work in the 2000s.

It's arguable whether the Wii U was designed specifically for the needs of a particular game. It was more of a general response to the sudden rise of casual gaming on touchscreen-based mobile devices. In 2010, Nintendo publicly described Apple as a bigger threat than Microsoft and Sony.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

njsykora posted:

If things go the way I'm expecting at E3, Nintendo are going to be firmly focused on pissing all over the PS4/Xbox's respective bonfire. Releasing a console at Christmas could be suicide if Nintendo have been saving all their big hitters for an absolute release armageddon.

New consoles will ALWAYS dominate E3 coverage. Whatever Nintendo announces will be the 3rd most important thing happening there unless it's an insane megaton like GTAV suddenly becoming an exclusive or something, and even that might not cut it.

Also :lol: at the second part of this post. I'm sure the other console makers remember the thorough thrashing they got when Nintendo released their big hitters for the N64 and Gamecube!

Still, that blurb from the CVG guy has me very interested and slightly more optimistic. Hopefully there are more games ready for this year than I thought or Retro's game is amazing and almost done and it's not just a price cut or a "we need to greenlight something big before the investor meeting this week!" game that's still a ways off.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 22, 2013

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

If Nintendo made an MMO it'd likely be free to play aside from buying the game.

Actually I'm a moron, the greatest MMO Nintendo could make is loving Animal Crossing. I know people who make 100K+ a year who would go bankrupt in a year if they did that.

How would they go bankrupt in a year if a Nintendo MMO would be free to play besides the cost of the game?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Nintendo tried motion control with the Power Glove in the 80s. Didn't work then but it did work in the 2000s.

That was Mattel. Nintendo had nothing to do with the Power Glove.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

illcendiary posted:

How would they go bankrupt in a year if a Nintendo MMO would be free to play besides the cost of the game?

Because "free to play" usually includes things like "free to play but pay for this in game stuff". My friends would go insane making their own merchandise or buying stuff or paying to speed things up. They'd also probably find a way to become a whore for Tom Nook and suck dick for extra bells.

I have friends who got really addicted to Animal Crossing.

Random Stranger posted:

That was Mattel. Nintendo had nothing to do with the Power Glove.

Fair enough but it was officially licensed. Nintendo has also always been involved with light gun games, which has unique characteristics which lent to motion control.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Toady posted:

It's arguable whether the Wii U was designed specifically for the needs of a particular game. It was more of a general response to the sudden rise of casual gaming on touchscreen-based mobile devices. In 2010, Nintendo publicly described Apple as a bigger threat than Microsoft and Sony.

We're six months into the Wii U's life cycle and have yet to see original titles in basically every single franchise they have. E3 will be our first look at Mario, Mario Kart, Monolith's X project, and presumably whatever Retro is working on, just to name a few things. If after all that we can safely say that none of these games are really built around the Wii U gamepad, then maybe we can say the Gamepad was purely a reaction to Apple and co.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Because "free to play" usually includes things like "free to play but pay for this in game stuff". My friends would go insane making their own merchandise or buying stuff or paying to speed things up. They'd also probably find a way to become a whore for Tom Nook and suck dick for extra bells.

I have friends who got really addicted to Animal Crossing.

That's a fair point, I misunderstood why you meant by F2P. In any case, I don't think an Animal Crossing MMO is the answer, either. Wouldn't the same long lead time development-wise apply here as well?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

illcendiary posted:

That's a fair point, I misunderstood why you meant by F2P. In any case, I don't think an Animal Crossing MMO is the answer, either. Wouldn't the same long lead time development-wise apply here as well?

That's my bad. Should have explained it as, "Not a monthly fee"

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Fair enough but it was officially licensed. Nintendo has also always been involved with light gun games, which has unique characteristics which lent to motion control.

Light gun games are an old technology dating back to the 1930s.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Long John Power posted:

Game speculation

GTA5 speculation

Cancelled games

Name that game...

If it turns out to be anything other than a complete unity of Wii, Wii U, and 3DS VCs I won't be able to care. I just want SNES games on the 3DS.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Toady posted:

If a new input method is necessary, they might release an accessory as other developers have done (e.g., Guitar Hero).
Yeah but what do you realistically think the adoption rate of the Wii Remote would have been if it was a third-party accessory? People were violently against it at first, they didn't comprehend why anyone would want one. Even though it is a great control setup. And then what would the developer adoption rate be? Close to zero?

Like, do you think Microsoft and Sony are frantically making their own version of the Oculus Rift?? They're not.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Toady posted:

Light gun games are an old technology dating back to the 1930s.

Yes they are.

Thank you for... the... history lesson?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Yes they are.

Thank you for... the... history lesson?

Well, I thought you were making a point that Nintendo being involved with light gun games was an innovation because it somehow lent itself to motion control technology later on.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Oh man that GTA5 article. It definitely piqued my interest until I actually read it.

It's from International Digital Games, which I have never heard of. It talks about the Wii U port like a thing we've known about and we're just waiting for the release date. Its first source is an article that says that an announcement of PS4 and 720 ports could be coming soon, with no mention of the Wii U or PC. Its second source is something called "inEntertainment" which I also have never heard of, there's no actual link to the source, and the quote they pulled doesn't mention the Wii U either. Also, the whole article is incredibly badly written, with poo poo grammer and amazing lines such as

quote:

Why does the GTA 5 release date for PC and next-gen consoles even matter? Most hard-core gamers and "Grand Theft Auto" fans most likely already own a PS3 or Xbox 720, right? Wrong. There's an elite and snobby class of hard-core gamers who value enhanced graphics over all else

I mean, what the gently caress even is that? Who would write something like that in an article they expect anyone to take seriously?

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 22, 2013

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Toady posted:

Sega put out bad games.

Correct, because she did not have anymore the need to have that "edge" of leveraging a loving recognizable art style against competitors like she did when she made Saturn and Dreacast games. At the time you could only play Jet Set Radio on the Dreamcast. If Nintendo went multiplatform, why she would still put good titles instead of outsourcing Zelda to Ninja Theory?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Toady posted:

Well, I thought you were making a point that Nintendo being involved with light gun games was an innovation because it somehow lent itself to motion control technology later on.

Again, I expressed more that Nintendo is trying to evolve things more than innovate. The reason we have motion control, 3D and tablets is because the technology is more readily available. We've had tablets since the 80s but it wasn't a viable commerical product then and pretty clunky. Nintendo's love of light gun when they got into the console market shows they've always had a penchant for trying out new ways to control a game to create new gaming experiences. Other consoles, while they have had their innovations as well (Genesis had the Activator, PS2 had the Eye), they prefer to keep things to the controller and cater to gamers who want to do the same.

This all comes back to my original point that I would never want Nintendo to become a cross platform, no console company because it would mean innovation in the industry would unquestionably grind down to a halt. You'd see some things come around but Microsoft and Sony have the primary focus of making as much money as possible from the industry in the way it is right now. There isn't any sense of doing things different. And hey, AAA developers agree with that. But for me it feels a lot like what happened in the cinema industry with film vs. digital. I'd rather open doors to new experiences than just stick to what has worked for x amount of years.

I'll also add (I've posted too much this afternoon as it is) that losing Sega in the console market meant we lost innovation in the market. Don't know how much innovation we'd lose if Microsoft went PC only.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

limaCAT posted:

Correct, because she did not have anymore the need to have that "edge" of leveraging a loving recognizable art style against competitors like she did when she made Saturn and Dreacast games. At the time you could only play Jet Set Radio on the Dreamcast. If Nintendo went multiplatform, why she would still put good titles instead of outsourcing Zelda to Ninja Theory?

...okay, why are you assigning genders to video game companies? :raise:

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I'll also add (I've posted too much this afternoon as it is) that losing Sega in the console market meant we lost innovation in the market. Don't know how much innovation we'd lose if Microsoft went PC only.

The 360 (and to a lesser degree the original Xbox) pushed online play, consoles being able to deliver non-game media, and indie games on consoles way forward. Not every innovation has to be "way to control game".

e: Now that I think about it, the 360 will probably have a bigger, longer lasting impact on the industry going forward than the Wii did.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 22, 2013

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

Yeah but what do you realistically think the adoption rate of the Wii Remote would have been if it was a third-party accessory? People were violently against it at first, they didn't comprehend why anyone would want one. Even though it is a great control setup. And then what would the developer adoption rate be? Close to zero?

Well, that was the Wii in the pre-iPhone market of 2006. The Wii U isn't enjoying that level of success.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Toady posted:

Well, that was the Wii in the pre-iPhone market of 2006. The Wii U isn't enjoying that level of success.

Except it's not. How well did the Playstation Move sell, and how many developers (that aren't Sony or Sony second parties) are using it? That's exactly the situation Nintendo would be in if they were a third-party publisher and wanted to do something like the Wiimote. If you can't ensure everyone (or at least a majority of your customers) have one, you can't make it the focus of your development.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And as for the major cross-platform releases, they've been including the WiiU with open arms.

What alternate reality did you stumble out of and how do I get there? If this was even remotely true, I would be playing Metal Gear Rising, Tomb Raider, and Bioshock Infinite on my Wii U and not bitching about having nothing to play.

I get that people are getting tired of responding to gloom and doom, but some of these "Nintendo rah rah rah!" posts come across as borderline delusional.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Again, I expressed more that Nintendo is trying to evolve things more than innovate. The reason we have motion control, 3D and tablets is because the technology is more readily available. We've had tablets since the 80s but it wasn't a viable commerical product then and pretty clunky. Nintendo's love of light gun when they got into the console market shows they've always had a penchant for trying out new ways to control a game to create new gaming experiences. Other consoles, while they have had their innovations as well (Genesis had the Activator, PS2 had the Eye), they prefer to keep things to the controller and cater to gamers who want to do the same.

I take issue with the narrative that gamers on other platforms reject new things, or that there isn't innovation occurring on other platforms. It seems to me disingenuous to argue that Nintendo is trying to create new experiences with a touchscreen after everyone's smartphones did that five years prior.

quote:

This all comes back to my original point that I would never want Nintendo to become a cross platform, no console company because it would mean innovation in the industry would unquestionably grind down to a halt.

Oh, please.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

...okay, why are you assigning genders to video game companies? :raise:

Because you call ships by feminine pronouns, and Sega sunk harder than the Titanic :smugdog:.

Yeah, I have no idea why Sega is a she. And I doubt Nintendo would ever pull a Sega. I could see them switching to mobile-only, once phones and other small devices can play software on par with a pc. Picture a Nintendo DS 5 with a 128 GB 40 TB flash drive and HDMI out.

e: I hope the DS 5 has a better keyboard than the iPhone though, :argh:.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 22, 2013

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Oh man, GTAV for a nintendo home console would be pretty sweet. Also, the idea that VC games could maybe be transferred to the 3DS would be loving awesome. Earthbound and Super Mario RPG on handheld would just be the best thing ever. Maybe it's the new version of "transfarring."

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

MinibarMatchman posted:

Oh man, GTAV for a nintendo home console would be pretty sweet. Also, the idea that VC games could maybe be transferred to the 3DS would be loving awesome. Earthbound and Super Mario RPG on handheld would just be the best thing ever. Maybe it's the new version of "transfarring."

That GTAV article is reaaaalllllyyyyy sketchy. It would definitely be a nice get for Nintendo though.

Sony has been doing cross-platform retro games for ages (PS1 classics you buy work on the PS3, PSP, and Vita for free), and it would be about drat time for Nintendo to catch up. If they included cloud saves like some PS3/Vita cross-play games have that would be Super Rad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Toady posted:

I take issue with the narrative that gamers on other platforms reject new things, or that there isn't innovation occurring on other platforms. It seems to me disingenuous to argue that Nintendo is trying to create new experiences with a touchscreen after everyone's smartphones did that five years prior.

Oh, please.

All your posts in this thread are coming off as you being a console warrior and it's getting annoying.

• Locked thread