Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I wonder what that clip actually is. I like it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

robot roll call posted:

I wonder what that clip actually is. I like it a lot.

Shazam says it's E.T. (Benny Benassi Mix) - Katy Perry.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I hope this isn't considered a troll or whatever but I just really don't like this song very much. It's kind of catchy but the vocals are bad and the guitar and bass are nothing spectacular, just catchy and good hooks that more certainly could've been done with. I really wanted to like it too, and bought the MP3 of the single.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So something strange and amazing happens when you pitch shift Get Lucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkCn-iWLiSE

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Nail Rat posted:

I hope this isn't considered a troll or whatever but I just really don't like this song very much. It's kind of catchy but the vocals are bad and the guitar and bass are nothing spectacular, just catchy and good hooks that more certainly could've been done with. I really wanted to like it too, and bought the MP3 of the single.

To be honest, I'm surprised so many people like it. It is 100% pure disco. There really isn't even a hint of "modern" electronica to the entire song with the exception of some background computery crossfades towards the end. Not many people liked Abba, Blondie, and the Bee Gees at the end of the disco era. I did, so I loved every second of this. I feel so old.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I foresee remixes of it being really popular. Skrillex will wubbify it and kids will lose their minds :smith:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

This is god drat amazing and makes me really sad Daft Punk and MJ never worked together.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Waffleman_ posted:

:swoon:

Oh yes

Edit:

From youtube:

:smithicide:

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 22, 2013

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Should have called themselves Daft Punks.

e: The Daft Punks

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 22, 2013

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

spanky the dolphin posted:

Should have called themselves Daft Punks.

e: The Daft Punks

Tommy and Guy's Daft Adventure.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Waffleman_ posted:

This is insanely cool. I would've loved to see what Daft Punk would've done with MJ, especially around the time of Invincible.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Are We Not Men? We Are Daft Punk!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Daft Punk has succeeded in making people think they are actual robots. Bravo, men.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Ever since I read it on Youtube, I can't not hear "We rub a Mexican monkey".

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Philthy posted:

To be honest, I'm surprised so many people like it. It is 100% pure disco. There really isn't even a hint of "modern" electronica to the entire song with the exception of some background computery crossfades towards the end. Not many people liked Abba, Blondie, and the Bee Gees at the end of the disco era. I did, so I loved every second of this. I feel so old.

Um the vocoders and the very DP hi-hat section with the vocoders? I've got no qualms with it being call disco or sounding like Jamiroquai (because Jamiroquai is one of my favs) but I totally buy the idea that this is Daft Punk doing their thing within the realm of actual studio recording.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I like the song. But then again I like Pharrell. I do think it is very noticeably un-electronic sounding, consequently my favorite part is when the vocoder voice starts singing. I don't mind having an album full of disco-ey stuff but I hope there are some vocal-less or at least less prominent vocals for me to groove to throughout.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Spermando posted:

Ever since I read it on Youtube, I can't not hear "We rub a Mexican monkey".

It's clearly "Pharell will make you get funky"

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Philthy posted:

You are out of your mind, by the way.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Pretty sure it's "I'm up all night to pet puppies" y'all.

:3:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Goddamnit Now I want them to show up on sesame street and do this.

(If you're asking why not yo gabba gabba, they do their own topical songs)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm up all night to feel fluff
I'm up all night to do stuff
I'm up all night to have fun
We're up all night to pet puppies

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Waffleman_ posted:

Well now I have to listen to the song again with this in mind :allears:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Waffleman_ posted:

New Single Cover Released.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I love where this thread is going :haw:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I like thinking that Daft Punk approves of all of this.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

That MJ version of Get Lucky is fantastic.

No matter how good it is as a stand-alone album, RAM is going to have some absolutely incredible remixes.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Sent from my iPad posted:

That MJ version of Get Lucky is fantastic.

No matter how good it is as a stand-alone album, RAM is going to have some absolutely incredible remixes.

I agree that this new album is going to produce some great remixes, but the MJ version has a feeling that certain parts feel forced like the "woo's" and other trademark MJ sounds.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Adregan posted:

I agree that this new album is going to produce some great remixes, but the MJ version has a feeling that certain parts feel forced like the "woo's" and other trademark MJ sounds.
Well and the fact that it doesn't actually sound like Michael Jackson, it just sounds like a sped up version of the song with some MJ samples

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
The excitement for this album has me listening to all the albums again over and over. Alive 2007 still murders. Im sitting at my desk at work just dancing, so sad I missed the tour :(

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Are We Not Men? We Are Daft Punk!

Yeah, can I add this post to my favorite posts? What's that? SA doesn't have favorite posts? drat. :sigh:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

bows1 posted:

The excitement for this album has me listening to all the albums again over and over. Alive 2007 still murders. Im sitting at my desk at work just dancing, so sad I missed the tour :(

Yeah I recently listened all of the albums again, which I hadn't done in some time. Alive and Discovery are still tied for my favorites.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Adregan posted:

the MJ version has a feeling that certain parts feel forced like the "woo's" and other trademark MJ sounds.

True, but I like it way better than Pharrell's original vocals. What's funny is that the way he delivers the lines is almost made for MJ-ification

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
EDIT: Nothing to see here. :ninja:

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah I recently listened all of the albums again, which I hadn't done in some time. Alive and Discovery are still tied for my favorites.

I just listened to Discovery today at work, and it's been a while for me too. It's still such a solid album from beginning to end. Hope the new one matches up well, but at least we're off to a great start.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Discovery really is a "top 5 all time" level album. Not a single dud out of 14 tracks.

EDIT: Voyager is one of those "if you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life what would it be?" type songs for me personally.

Wario In Real Life fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 24, 2013

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Um the vocoders and the very DP hi-hat section with the vocoders?

Vocoders became popular in the disco era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NETuCMeQds8

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The best reaction I've seen to Get Lucky so far is some commentor proclaiming "They've become 'The Crescendolls!'" Going full ensemble disco-funk seems to me like the natural progression from Discovery.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Philthy posted:

Here's some vocoder from 1970, just because Bruce Haack is loving crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR0jr7bs9Bk

Also, with regard to all of the complaints of Pharrell's voice, has anyone really been far even as decided to consider that Daft Punk's refusal to auto-tune or otherwise correct the take is a statement of contrast between what we've all been trained to think sounds correct, and that Pharrell is *gasp* human after all? Just a little musing that a friend and I had earlier tonight...

That being said, if the Michael Jackson sound is what they were going for, they would have picked Bruno Mars. And yet they did not...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Philthy posted:

They arent mutually exclusive though.

• Locked thread