Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Two or three times in HoA. Talking to Spook for reals after he got unspiked, and I think inspiring TenSoon.

Long story short, he half-grabbed Preservation when Leras bought the farm, and was able to give a bit of advice to a few living characters before Vin took up the power entirely.

From Sanderson's reddit account, it seems like Kelsier was preventing Bad poo poo from happening by doing that.

Now I need to go skim through the book again and see for myself. That's something I completely missed my past few readthroughs (Because by that point, I've hit the Sanderson avalanche and haven't been able to stop reading for hours)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The reddit AMA is up
http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/1ced7z/iamstilla_novelist_named_brandon_sanderson_ama/

Some pretty cool info about mistborn. Apparently Hoid and Kelsier REALLY don't get along - and would murder each other if they met, probably. The Southern Continent uses technology-based allomancy instead of genetic-based, and that's part of making a FTL engine.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 18, 2013

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Halfway through the last book in the Misrborn trilogy. Great reads so far.wasn't expecting the ending of the second book.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Halfway through the last book in the Misrborn trilogy. Great reads so far.wasn't expecting the ending of the second book.

Strap in.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Really, this is advice to give to someone who is at *any* point in the original trilogy besides "finished".

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Grundulum posted:

Really, this is advice to give to someone who is at *any* point in the original trilogy besides "finished".

Eh you can loosen your seatbelt for the second act of The Well of Ascension. I still like it but it is slooooow.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
A better piece of advice would be to make sure your affairs are in order, because once you get to the last half of the book you won't stop reading for any reason.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

senae posted:

A better piece of advice would be to make sure your affairs are in order, because once you get to the last half of the book you won't stop reading for any reason.

Is this true for Way of Kings, too? I'm about 40% in (just finished Part 2, right where Dalinar decides to abdicate to Adolin) and it's interesting, but I could use a bit of a pick-up in pace.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

werdnam posted:

Is this true for Way of Kings, too? I'm about 40% in (just finished Part 2, right where Dalinar decides to abdicate to Adolin) and it's interesting, but I could use a bit of a pick-up in pace.

Very much. The last half of the book is a wild ride, where the book goes from good to "holy poo poo".

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

rafikki posted:

Very much. The last half of the book is a wild ride, where the book goes from good to "holy poo poo".

Echoing this emphatically. It's true of all of his books to some extent but WoK and Hero of Ages dial it up to 11.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Going back to the Hoid hunters discussion, he's setting up the ground work to write some capstone Justice League series with Heroes from all his books, isn't he? Not that I'm complaining one bit... :cheers:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Echoing this emphatically. It's true of all of his books to some extent but WoK and Hero of Ages dial it up to 11.
It's pretty much the crucial distinct aspect of his writing - the "Sanderson Avalanche". Slow buildup, then half a book of :tviv:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

rafikki posted:

Just finished.... Holy loving poo poo!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I am, unfortunately, the Hero of Ages.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The best part is when you reread book 1 page 1.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So from reading this thread and having my mind blown, I can't help but wonder not if Kaladin's path is going to be that of recombining/reforming Honor's shard and taking it up. And that in the other splintered worlds the same will happen, and someday when I'm 70 there's going to be a shardholder throwdown

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

senae posted:

The best part is when you reread book 1 page 1.

Works for mistborn too.
Sometimes, I worry that I’m not the hero everyone thinks I am

Wait a sec... the prologue for mistborn 1 uses the alloy of law numerals instead of the normal metal symbols. WTF.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Iron Tusk posted:

So from reading this thread and having my mind blown, I can't help but wonder not if Kaladin's path is going to be that of recombining/reforming Honor's shard and taking it up. And that in the other splintered worlds the same will happen, and someday when I'm 70 there's going to be a shardholder throwdown

70? Sanderson will probably be long done with the Cosmere by the time Martin finishes... well, probably his next book.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
Okay, reporting back on my Way of Kings read. Last I posted, I was wanting things to pick up a bit.

Well, Shallan just Soulcasted without wearing the Soulcaster while having some weird visions and Kaladin just had a vision of riding a storm across the entire continent. What the hell is going on?!

So, it picked up a bit.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

werdnam posted:

Okay, reporting back on my Way of Kings read. Last I posted, I was wanting things to pick up a bit.

Well, Shallan just Soulcasted without wearing the Soulcaster while having some weird visions and Kaladin just had a vision of riding a storm across the entire continent. What the hell is going on?!

So, it picked up a bit.

Oh, just you wait.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

werdnam posted:

So, it picked up a bit.

I should really reread this book, it was so loving good. When's the ETA on Stormlight 2?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

quiggy posted:

I should really reread this book, it was so loving good. When's the ETA on Stormlight 2?

Preliminary date from B&N/Amazon and whatnot is early November.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

404GoonNotFound posted:

Preliminary date from B&N/Amazon and whatnot is early November.

But if you want a sneak preview, you can watch Sanderson write the first draft on youtube

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

quiggy posted:

You should! I picked up on a lot more stuff on my reread, especially once you know all of Kaladin's backstory, and it was just as great the second time around. It's still only $3 for the ebook version at Amazon US if anyone in this thread still hasn't picked it up.

Tunicate posted:

But if you want a sneak preview, you can watch Sanderson write the first draft on youtube

What is that program he's using? Just Word?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Yeah that's just Word with a custom toolbar at the top, page divisions turned off and using the navigation panel with headers.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
So now that my mind was blowed up by Mistborn I'm reading WoK. Reminds of Malazan a bit. I like it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I actually just finished my reread of WoK as a break from my Wheel of Time read/reread (reread of books up to 8 or 9, can't remember, and then first read of the rest) and I seriously didn't put the book down except to get snacks and go to the bathroom for the last two hundred or so pages.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So now that my mind was blowed up by Mistborn I'm reading WoK. Reminds of Malazan a bit. I like it.

What elements remind you of Malazan? I only read up to Memories of Ice, so I might be missing something.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
I just finished Way of Kings for the first time. Despite some minor quibbles, I thought it was a good book that managed to set itself apart from many of the books I'm familiar with in the genre. I appreciated the fact that the three main conflicts of the book -- a young woman trying to find a way to help her family, a former slave trying to find meaning and purpose in terrible conditions, and an aging ruler trying to find a new path for his society -- were mostly internal and on a localized scale. All of the characters (with the exception of Kaladin, who starts the book on a journey) ended the book in the same geographical location where they began but in very different places as characters, which is the opposite of many fantasy books. That made it a very satisfying read from a character point of view.

I didn't find it as satisfying from a plot perspective -- I feel like we don't know very much more about the overall story at the end than we did in the beginning. I know it's going to be a long series, so there's time to get into that, but I still would have liked to have a bit more than the Desolation is coming and I think there were too many teasers for extra Cosmere stuff like Hoid. I also thought the Lashing descriptions were overly mechanical and the mecha Shardplate battles weren't very interesting. The book was too long, too, although I only really noticed that with Shallan's thread and Kaladin's flashbacks. Finally, I feel like Kaladin is a bit too much "Survivor of Hathsin 2.0."

I know that sounds very negative, but it's easier to point out flaws than describe the positives. I did like it overall (and the ending was gripping just like all of Sanderson's other books) and I'll happily read the next one in the series.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

You have some valid points. Especially about the Lashing introduction. Sanderson himself has said he's not happy with it.

I disagree about Kaladin as Kelsier 2.0. Strongly. While they both survived an ordeal, the end person is vastly different.

Kelsier was a smug, arrogant bastard alternately motivated by greed, hatred, and revenge. He delighted in the attention lavished on him by his underlings and the skaa.

Only Kaladin's distaste for lighteyes has any resemblance with that, and the thing is, Kaladin's right. Most lighteyes are greedy underhanded bastards--like Kelsier. Kaladin's association with Dalinar at the end does nothing more than lampshade that. Nevertheless, on the whole, Kaladin's a much better person than Kelsier ever was. If the two were to ever meet, I have absolutely no doubt that they would loathe each other.

And Shardplate loving owns. Dalinar vs Chasm Fiend was badass.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

You have some valid points. Especially about the Lashing introduction. Sanderson himself has said he's not happy with it.

I disagree about Kaladin as Kelsier 2.0. Strongly. While they both survived an ordeal, the end person is vastly different.

Fair. I was referring more to the situation for both: each is a member of the downtrodden class, put into a forced labor camp, who -- surprise! -- has a secret magic power that emerges to save him.

quote:

And Shardplate loving owns. Dalinar vs Chasm Fiend was badass.

There's no finesse. They're just walking tanks.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

werdnam posted:

Fair. I was referring more to the situation for both: each is a member of the downtrodden class, put into a forced labor camp, who -- surprise! -- has a secret magic power that emerges to save him.

Plotwise, there's a pretty significant difference in development especially since we don't ever see anything from Kelsier before he became a Mistborn

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think the main issue with Plate and Blade is that aside from the chasmfiend battle and the fight against the king in the prologue there isn't really anything that can challenge someone who holds one or both.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Didn't Kaladin kill a lighteyes who was wearing shardplate by ramming a spearhead in the lighteye's visor slit?

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 22, 2013

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yep - it's what led to him being a prisoner. PS probably want to spoiler that.

Edit: Wow, that was pretty dumb of me. Hah!

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 23, 2013

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Yep - it's what led to him being a prisoner. PS probably want to spoiler that.

Sorry, spoiler that quote then.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Kwyndig posted:

I think the main issue with Plate and Blade is that aside from the chasmfiend battle and the fight against the king in the prologue there isn't really anything that can challenge someone who holds one or both.

Xachariah posted:

Didn't Kaladin kill a lighteyes who was wearing shardplate by ramming a spearhead in the lighteye's visor slit?

Being nigh invincible is probably what helped Kaladin take down that guy. I'm guessing Full plate + blade bearers are used to trampling anything and anyone who gets on their way, and suddenly comes along a dude who is a natural born spear master and is probably using stormlight (I can't remember if they hint at him using stormlight unconsciously before the bridges, but I think they do?), and well... Hubris took care of the rest.

If Kaladin had fought someone like Dalinar before gaining full use of stormlight... I don't think he would have survived.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Edmond Dantes posted:

Being nigh invincible is probably what helped Kaladin take down that guy. I'm guessing Full plate + blade bearers are used to trampling anything and anyone who gets on their way, and suddenly comes along a dude who is a natural born spear master and is probably using stormlight (I can't remember if they hint at him using stormlight unconsciously before the bridges, but I think they do?), and well... Hubris took care of the rest.

If Kaladin had fought someone like Dalinar before gaining full use of stormlight... I don't think he would have survived.

I agree with this but I don't think Kaladin could use Stormlight before he reached the Shattered Plains, even unconsciously. The changes he's undergoing seem to be more gradual.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I need to do a third reading and look for it, but my assumption is that Kaladin's surgebinding and Syl are tied to each other and Kaladin didn't start using Stormlight until after Syl first appeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Eric the Mauve posted:

I need to do a third reading and look for it, but my assumption is that Kaladin's surgebinding and Syl are tied to each other and Kaladin didn't start using Stormlight until after Syl first appeared.

Yeah I'd think that Syl was first attached to Kaladin when he turned down the Shards for honor's sake.