Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I like the foreshadowing they added in the latest episode.

Although a few (minor) scenes they altered no longer made sense and I had to explain what the hell just happened -
  • Eren not making up with Jean, then Jean going "My trust in others"
  • Why Mikasa was upset at the look Eren gave her
at least the potato came out alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jackard posted:

I like the foreshadowing they added in the latest episode.

Although a few (minor) scenes they altered no longer made sense and I had to explain what the hell just happened -
  • Eren not making up with Jean, then Jean going "My trust in others"
  • Why Mikasa was upset at the look Eren gave her
at least the potato came out alright

He did make up with Jean. That gesture they made kind of looked like the SNK equivalent of a high-five. A sort of 'all is forgiven but I've got stuff to do' thing.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm actually going through the manga again right now, and in that scene, Jean holds his hand out, palm up and Eren places his hand on it briefly and they part amicably. I guess they went for more of a fist bump type of thing in the anime.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I kind of directly linked the panel it happened in:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

That gesture they made kind of looked like the SNK equivalent of a high-five. A sort of 'all is forgiven but I've got stuff to do' thing.
Well either way, between that and Jean's line being shortened, it didn't come across as well as in the manga.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 22, 2013

ff7cid
Jun 27, 2008

Beartato! I just became aware of the vast speed at which we are hurtling through the universe! Now it's all I can think about!
After watching the first episode of the anime I realized I had to have more of Attack on Titan, so I promptly read through all the chapters over the course of 2 days. The whole thing blew my mind. The art was kind of off-putting at first but I grew accustomed to it after a couple of hours. Also, I believe there was a goon who accurately hypothesized Reiner and Bertholdt's true identities a while before their reveal which was awesome as hell.

Now begins the agonizing month-long waits between new releases.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So 200 new pages! New chapter out? Nope just chattin about the animes I'll never watch. :smith:

Sled
May 20, 2004

Musashi not only wields a sword but also a pair of pistols.
Just looking back, I think my favorite moment in the manga so far was when Reiner begins explaining begins explaining he's the armored titan. It just seems to be happening in the background initially, and I think I re-read the page several times out of confusion to make sure I was reading it right. I hope the anime pulls it off so nonchalantly, too.

Spoiler tagging in case an anime viewer clicked on the manga thread by accident.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Sledeau posted:

Just looking back, I think my favorite moment in the manga so far was when Reiner begins explaining begins explaining he's the armored titan. It just seems to be happening in the background initially, and I think I re-read the page several times out of confusion to make sure I was reading it right. I hope the anime pulls it off so nonchalantly, too.

Spoiler tagging in case an anime viewer clicked on the manga thread by accident.

I saw those panels in Japanese on a blog or something before the scanlations came out, and I thought they were a joke Photoshop at first. I would really like to see that scene animated, but I doubt we're going to get that far this go around.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
That scene is one of my favorites too. Just the way Reiner actually wants to rationalize and reason with the humans at that moment, but upon being rejected by Eren he just says gently caress it and pulls off his cast. You just know poo poo is going to go down.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2pKLhhrs_M

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So 200 new pages! New chapter out? Nope just chattin about the animes I'll never watch. :smith:

You're making a poor decision! :)

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Well I'm glad somebody created :magical: because that video is about the perfect representation of it. That poor bastard who gets devoured after the hairy titan leaves is gut wrenching in it's unthinking cruelty.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Thoren posted:

That scene is one of my favorites too. Just the way Reiner actually wants to rationalize and reason with the humans at that moment, but upon being rejected by Eren he just says gently caress it and pulls off his cast. You just know poo poo is going to go down.

I think it's more that they realize how good an opportunity they have to kidnap Eren and go back to their home village. Seems to me Reiner and Bertholdt did something that made them not welcome at their home village anymore and they think bringing Eren there would be a good way to fix that.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 23, 2013

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Which chapter did the whole Sasha-fart-potato conversation happen? It's really hard to find things in this manga.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Sledeau posted:

The camera focuses on Reiner in episode three when the kids ask Eren if he saw the Armored titan. :allears:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nilbop posted:

Which chapter did the whole Sasha-fart-potato conversation happen? It's really hard to find things in this manga.

Starting here, in Chapter 17 - http://mangafox.me/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/v04/c017/28.html

No potatoes were involved in this scene, though. Just a loaf of bread.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

JosephWongKS posted:

Starting here, in Chapter 17 - http://mangafox.me/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/v04/c017/28.html

No potatoes were involved in this scene, though. Just a loaf of bread.

We can't see Mangafox links from America.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thoren posted:

We can't see Mangafox links from America.

For the US goons - http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/14/28

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

Jackard posted:

The camera focuses on Reiner in episode three when the kids ask Eren if he saw the Armored titan. :allears:
The manga did the same thing. Outs both of them so nonchalantly. He dropped so few hints about Bertholdt behind the colossal-type but that page alone convinced me of it when I saw it during a second read.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Hahaha! The thing that makes the gag with Sasha work sooooo well is Mikasa calming her down by just stuffing some food in her mouth. And she does it in such a casual and deliberate way too.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jackard posted:

I had to make an effort not to laugh or react to that, as I was watching it with someone who hadn't read the manga.

Somehow that made it even funnier to me.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
My turn to start dumping some speculation in this thread. Some of this is going to touch on familiar territory, but I've been following the thread for 20 pages and won't be duplicating much discussed there.

To start with, my starting point is "something happened to cause the attack on the Shigan-whatever district". Something, specifically, happened to kick off the attack, there was some reason why there and why then. What, I'm not sure on. Could be Eren's dad's research, but it seems like overkill and underkill both, because it kills tons of others and isn't guaranteed to hit the targeted few, since it didn't. But, clearly, the human-titans had some specific goal in mind there, and then whatever the reason was, it didn't come up again for five years. It wouldn't take five years to recover from exertion and line up on the next wall, so their goal couldn't have been "kill humanity".

The timing is clearly important, though. So far we only know of one year where humans could be made into human-titans (possible exception of Ymir and the wall's titans). There's no reason to suggest there were previous ones. So: something happened to make human-titans a possibility. Some advancement?

I'm going to go on a different tack than most with regard to titans. For starters: feral titans do not have humans inside them. They are all wholly transformed humans, or never were humans to start (probably the former). Titan bodies dissolve on death but seem to leave humans when the titan dissolves (Annie, Eren), and no titan left a human body in the neck, nor has any soldier said "hey I went to cut a titan and decapitated some dude in there". Ymir is, we're already aware, different. I like the "titan became human" idea, but I don't think she's in any way a prototype or connected to the human titans; their titan forms are too different. Ymir-titan is deformed, while so far all human titans have a very idealized structure.

I'm going to throw out two proofs for them being different: first, human-titans lack the basic titan drive to eat people. That's the entire and sole driving force for feral titans, and it's explicitly eating and not killing. So far, no human titan has shown any interest in eating people including crazed Eren. That's the important part. He tried to smash Mikasa, not grab her to eat. Ymir-titan attacked a village to eat people.

Second, she can't command feral titans. So far, human-titans seem to all have some ability to command other titans. Colossal and armored titans were unmolested by the ferals and may have gathered them for their attacks. Annie was able to command ferals at least to the level of "go there, attack this"; she brought other titans along in her attack on the scouting legion (see here) and used them to cover her escape when trapped. I think Eren either simply can't do this trick yet (like with skin hardening, he just hasn't learned) or else he's been doing it all along: right when he first transformed, he really was saying to all the other titans "come here, fight me" :downs: and they obeyed.

Now, the elephant in the room when we're discussing smart titans is Mister Hairy. Human-titan or not, I can't say, but I'm going to give him a new possibility for where he came from: he was in the wall, probably near where the colossal and armored titans broke into Shigan-salsa district in the first couple chapters. He's only recently gotten out and started exploring. No one has seen his hole (which was made for him) because we haven't been by there for a while. This ties up several things: it avoids having to have another nation or faction outside the walls send him to attack based on no information, it explains his ignorance of things, it covers 'why are you here now' questions, and it explains why he's the second largest titan we've seen walking around by a comfortable margin. I don't know why he's hairy, but it could just be a "because" and a shrug reason, honestly; all titans are uniquely shaped.

Mister Hairy has one other unique feature, too: he can talk as a titan. We've established that titans have vocal cords (and Ymir can talk as a titan), but for some reason Reiner and Bertholdt haven't shown any ability to talk as Titans. Neither did Annie, including in the last battle where she might have had reason to speak, say while hunting the protagonists underground. Eren seems unable to speak; he just nods or whatever when people give him suggestions. I'm just going to assume they can't and it's not just Eren and no one else having reason to speak.

So where does that leave us? Well, Mister Hairy is still an enigma. He shares with Ymir an ability to speak and a somewhat twisted/inhuman form, but he shares with the human-titans an ability to command feral titans and no interest in eating people. It's chaining suppositions together with one off-handed comment from Armin, but I think he's just indulging his curiosity... and waiting for the rest of the wall-titans to rouse. Perhaps this was even what Reiner and Bertholdt were aiming for?

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

DrSunshine posted:

Hahaha! The thing that makes the gag with Sasha work sooooo well is Mikasa calming her down by just stuffing some food in her mouth. And she does it in such a casual and deliberate way too.

As well as just being funny I like this scene because it adds a nice aspect to Mikasa's character. She's not just the aloof, moody badass. She can make dumb jokes at her friends expense and engage with them in a natural, friendly way.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I think the fact that the majority of the human-form Titans wanted to join the Royal Guard, and the fact that the religious leadership has more advanced knowledge of the Titans than we were previously aware, is key to approaching the Titan factions. I am still of the opinion that the high leadership of the government is somehow behind the "primary" human-titan faction, though their motive is still up in the air. The assault on Shinigashima district could have related to Eren's dad, but it also could have been related to other tensions they've implied as being present: concerns about population given their highly limited environment. They've outright stated for example that they've thrown swaths of humanity "away" at the Titans to reduce the burden on resources. This could be an extension of that.

Of course, if Eren's dad is somehow related to all human-Titans, it's possible they could have been trying to destroy his research, though you'd think they would have more subtle ways of doing that.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
That's probably at least as valid, but I don't fully agree. There's no real sign that Annie was working for the government... and equally no sign she's not. I just am assuming that Reiner's "village" isn't in the inner district and thus it's more likely that those three are trying to infiltrate than work for. I'm really not wedded to my belief, though.

We can be pretty sure that the attack wasn't to reduce resource pressures by reducing excess population, though. If the attack had stopped with the outer city, that would have been viable, but breaching the main wall massively reduced resources to the point that it definitely reduced resources more than it did mouths to feed, hence the attempts to 'reclaim' the outer wall.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Throwing a little more speculation onto the thread regarding Ymir and the possibility that she is a 'feral' titan turned human.
As ZeeToo pointed out one of the biggest distinguishing traits between human titans and feral titans is their desire to eat humans. Human titans don't have this drive and instead act on their own initiative. So looking at Ryner's flashback during chapter 39 and a few observations arise.

1) Both Ryner and Berthold appear to be significantly younger than they are now. I'm guessing this flashback takes place 5+ years in the past; before they launched their first attack on the wall.
2) Their is a third individual present who promptly dies while saving Ryner. I don't think this person has shown up in any other scenes so it's safe to assume that he perishes in that attack.
3) At the tail end of chapter 40 both Ryner and Berthold somewhat confirm that Ymir is the feral type titan that appears in the previous flashback.
4) In the flashback Ryner and Co. are travelling in what appears to be hiking gear. They even have bags strapped to their back and boots so it may be safe to assume that they are on their way from one location to another across a long distance.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that Ryners flashback is of their trip to Wall Maria for their first assault on humanity. The reason they stopped their assault and did not carry it onto the next area is because of the loss of this third person. It may be because they are mourning his loss and find themselves unable to psychologically continue, or this third person had a titan skill necessary for them to continue and without him they had to assimilate themselves into human society in order to contact other titans within the city (Annie).

What this has to do with Ymir plays into my idea of what feral titans are (I'm not sure if anyone else has put forth this theory) Just like Human titans, feral titans are humans that have the ability to attain a titan form. The difference is that these individuals lack any mental safeguards that would allow them to control their form. But if this is the case, why don't smaller titans have larger "sweet spots" on their backs? The answer is that their isn't much need for a complete human body for feral titans. When Eren or other people transform you can see muscles and sinew merging with them and their bodies partially fuse with their titan body. For feral titans this merging is more permanent and the human that serves as the base is reduced to just a lump of tissue at the base of the titans neck.

So Ymir, she was a feral titan until she consumed a human type titan that was when a change took place inside of her. Assuming that there is some form of chemical compound that allows human type titans to retain their consciousness while in titan form, it would have been absorbed into Ymir's body through her rudimentary titan digestive tract. The process would not have been instantaneous but I think eventually Ymir would develop enough of a will to revert back to her base human form, maybe using certain genetic traits from the unnamed person.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If Ymir was a regular titan that managed to become mostly human, then why did some other titan know her name? She had some sort of authority over that one random talking titan. There have only been two examples of talking titans- the one who mistook a scout for Ymir and the sasquatch. Unlike the sasquatch, Ymir's titan form wasn't particularly powerful. So, why would she have had any kind of authority?

Also, the idea of titans gaining any sort of power from eating is completely unprecedented in the manga.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!

Serious Frolicking posted:

If Ymir was a regular titan that managed to become mostly human, then why did some other titan know her name? She had some sort of authority over that one random talking titan. There have only been two examples of talking titans- the one who mistook a scout for Ymir and the sasquatch. Unlike the sasquatch, Ymir's titan form wasn't particularly powerful. So, why would she have had any kind of authority?

Also, the idea of titans gaining any sort of power from eating is completely unprecedented in the manga.

My theory? The Titans are all in a dream-state similar to humans. In it, they are eating a delicious food called "ymir."

That Titan was actually saying "Ymir is people," not "Ymir's people."

Ymir took that name because it was what she was becoming/had just became when she took it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Brought To You By posted:

Their is a third individual present who promptly dies while saving Ryner. I don't think this person has shown up in any other scenes so it's safe to assume that he perishes in that attack.

[...]

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that Ryners flashback is of their trip to Wall Maria for their first assault on humanity. The reason they stopped their assault and did not carry it onto the next area is because of the loss of this third person. It may be because they are mourning his loss and find themselves unable to psychologically continue, or this third person had a titan skill necessary for them to continue

There's one noticeable problem with this theory: if the third person could also transform, how could he have been so easily killed by a feral titan?

Thoren
May 28, 2008
So Ymir could just be a feral titan that somehow turned back into a Human, meaning that the titan that recognized her was simply remembering who she was from back when it was a human being.

I just realized that it was Reiner that called her out on her deception. It's really cool, because looking in at this series for the first time, it feels like there's just the Scouting Legion vs Titans story. In reality it's a loving espionage-mecha manga.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

There's one noticeable problem with this theory: if the third person could also transform, how could he have been so easily killed by a feral titan?

My guess, they were young and not mentally ready for having something like that turn hostile on them. Even if you take into consideration that Ryner is a titan with a large degree of control over his transformations he still almost bought it back in the tower when that 5m tall titan started breaking down the door. If Berthold hadn't showed up he might have just given up and died, although I don't now why he would not default to changing forms in a high risk situation like that.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Brought To You By posted:

My guess, they were young and not mentally ready for having something like that turn hostile on them. Even if you take into consideration that Ryner is a titan with a large degree of control over his transformations he still almost bought it back in the tower when that 5m tall titan started breaking down the door. If Berthold hadn't showed up he might have just given up and died, although I don't now why he would not default to changing forms in a high risk situation like that.

That could be why he wanted to jump off the tower with the titan, he was planning on transforming to get away.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Idle theory about how humans get titanised: we know the titans throw them back up again after a while. Maybe "in the wild" they do it together in heaps, and the processed corpses glom together into new titans? Yuk. Captive titans haven't been seen doing it because they're hard to capture, aren't full enough, or the corpses get a decent burial.

Schwarzwald posted:

Maybe he fell off a wall, or was shot by a guard? I'm torn between B&R acting independently (I have a feeling Eren's dad knew what was coming) and following orders (they seem to have gone out of their way to destroy the village first, with the main wall a secondary target).

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Do the humans bury there dead? I thought they burned them. Would give greater weight to the Titans as a disease theory.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Why do we think Ymir is a feral Titan again? It's no longer true that she attacked a random village. She attacked a human Titan.

Also I don't know if anyone pointed it out already, but Kronos the leader of the Titans did devour but not digest his children, out of fear they would later overthrow him. So the English name might be less arbitrarily selected than it seems at first.

In favour: Hairy is most likely creating Titans and the attack on the Wall is mostly about human Titans (his children). The swallowing whole part.

Against: Nothing else we have seen up till now is remotely Greek.

Does that actually tell us something? Who knows. If we think of Hairy and his ilk as antique gods than him not knowing about human weapons is reasonable. A god doesn't have to read intelligence reports. And now he went to look why the bugs he ordered squashed haven't been squashed yet.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

genericnick posted:

Why do we think Ymir is a feral Titan again? It's no longer true that she attacked a random village. She attacked a human Titan.

Also I don't know if anyone pointed it out already, but Kronos the leader of the Titans did devour but not digest his children, out of fear they would later overthrow him. So the English name might be less arbitrarily selected than it seems at first.

In favour: Hairy is most likely creating Titans and the attack on the Wall is mostly about human Titans (his children). The swallowing whole part.

Against: Nothing else we have seen up till now is remotely Greek.

Does that actually tell us something? Who knows. If we think of Hairy and his ilk as antique gods than him not knowing about human weapons is reasonable. A god doesn't have to read intelligence reports. And now he went to look why the bugs he ordered squashed haven't been squashed yet.

It isn't based on any evidence. Not everyone can be that one guy who figured out Reiner and Bertholdt a year in advance.

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
There may be more to the hairy Titan being a Cronus (or specifically Saturn) figure that I hadn't noticed before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_Devouring_His_Son

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I don't think Titans are necessarily a reference to myth at all, at least not to the point where we can use myth to guess plot points, but I'm pretty drat sure that painting was an inspiration for the visual horror.

My mother saw the first episode and her first reaction was, "It reminds me of that creepy Goya painting."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

genericnick posted:

It comes from Ryner's flashback in chapter 39, and both his and Berthold's reaction to seeing Ymir's titan form in the following chapter 40.

I'm not sure whether or not she attacked a random village, all we do know is that some time in the past Ymir in titan form attacked Ryner, Berthold, and an unknown third person. As for whether or not she was aware of her actions is what is being speculated. Right now Ymir is inside Berthold (hopefully safe despite falling 60 meters at the moment) and it seems that both the Colossal and armored titan plan to take all the other human titans and escape back to their village.