Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tonic
Jan 4, 2003

gariig posted:

No you get HSPA+ just like a normal plan. The biggest difference between T-Mobile pre-paid and post-paid plans is data roaming because pre-paid has no data roaming at all but post-paid does roam. You can roam for voice and SMS on a pre-paid account.

You get LTE too where it's available. My iPhone 5 picks up LTE in the San Jose area on the $30/month plan. If a tmobile rep told you it's only 2g data, he's probably just trying to upsell one of their new uncarrier plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

gariig posted:

No you get HSPA+ just like a normal plan. The biggest difference between T-Mobile pre-paid and post-paid plans is data roaming because pre-paid has no data roaming at all but post-paid does roam. You can roam for voice and SMS on a pre-paid account.

So if I went to T-Mobile post paid, I'd roam on ATT and get 3g data?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Athenry posted:

So if I went to T-Mobile post paid, I'd roam on ATT and get 3g data?

Yes, but there is a limit to how much data you get. Looking at the support page it's like 5-200MB/month. I don't feel so bad only paying them $30/month.

If only prepaid had conditional call forwarding so I can have my cell number forward to my Google Voice voice mail.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

gariig posted:

Yes, but there is a limit to how much data you get. Looking at the support page it's like 5-200MB/month. I don't feel so bad only paying them $30/month.

If only prepaid had conditional call forwarding so I can have my cell number forward to my Google Voice voice mail.

How are you all roaming on ATT? I have the $30 plan and when in Montana my phone is a paperweight. I see ATT in the network menu but it won't let me connect at all. Just zero signal.

I am trialing straight talk (ATT) but the militant data policing has me worried so I am keeping both accounts current until I figure out what service is best for me. It is nice to talk away all I want on straight talk but I think about data every time I use it.

Edit: you don't need conditional call forwarding to have GV pick up voicemail. Just dial 611 and tell TMo to disable your voicemail. GV picks up every time.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 18, 2013

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
Just got off my god awfully expensive Verizon to the $30 a month T-mo prepaid plan. Since my wife and I don't use a lot of minutes, we figured it wouldn't be a problem. Now, the plan says the first 5GB at 4G speeds. Does anyone know how bad it's throttled afterwards?

Not that it matters too much, as my area has only 2G for Tmo, but it'll get here eventually, and $60 a month as opposed to $180 for verizon is a world of a difference. Anyone have any bad experiences with it or anything? Just hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot by doing this.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It throttles down to 2G,i believe. I found it pretty unusable to look up maps or do basically any Internet surfing. Checking email quickly was about all it was good for by that point.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Dradien posted:

Just hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot by doing this.
You'd only be shooting yourself in the foot if:

You don't live in a major city or travel outside of said major city often
You use significantly more than 100 minutes per month

Keep in mind, 100 minutes is just that. No nights and weekends, mobile to mobile or any of that jazz. 100 24x7 and that's it. 10 cents/minute after (which is cheap, actually)

If you are cool with that, you should be fine. I love the $30 plan, but I'm currently working all over the country and frequently have zero signal, so I'm trialing AT&T Straight Talk. Also keeping the $30 plan afloat between grace periods so I don't lose it...

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 19, 2013

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got a Nexus 4 with ATT ST and Google Voice for my voicemail. I also use my GV number as my primary number. GV gets most of my voicemails, but sometimes my phone gets a voicemail that's the GV menu, and every time I get a GV text message, I get a voicemail notification. Can I completely turn off the VM service on my phone or with ST?

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
Well, I give up. I just deleted the MMS APN on my Nexus 4 on ST AT&T. It was loving with every single data-connected app on my phone (which is pretty much everything). My download speeds would be fine, but upload would be nonexistent.

I'm bailing at the end of the month, moving to US Cellular and getting an S4. I'm so tired of this poo poo.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

I've got a Nexus 4 with ATT ST and Google Voice for my voicemail. I also use my GV number as my primary number. GV gets most of my voicemails, but sometimes my phone gets a voicemail that's the GV menu, and every time I get a GV text message, I get a voicemail notification. Can I completely turn off the VM service on my phone or with ST?

Sounds like something is wrong with your google voice settings. Go to google voice on your computer and go through that call settings. And yes it's maddening that google can't allow you to change settings (or drat voicemails) from your phone.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm needing to replace my iPhone 5 on net10 at the Genius Bar and I was wondering it AT&T phones need unlocking to work on net10. I posted in the iPhone proper thread asking how the swap would work since I don't have one of the carriers that they sell through. Someone kindly pointed out that AT&T offers five unlocks provided the etf is paid (which it was) but not sure if that applied to replacement devices.

Then I remember reading that straight talkers don't require an unlock. Appreciate any feedback!

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Venkmanologist posted:

Well, I give up. I just deleted the MMS APN on my Nexus 4 on ST AT&T. It was loving with every single data-connected app on my phone (which is pretty much everything). My download speeds would be fine, but upload would be nonexistent.

I'm bailing at the end of the month, moving to US Cellular and getting an S4. I'm so tired of this poo poo.

What was the MMS APN you were using?

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
I would like to report that these MMS settings posted in this thread worked on my N4 on ST. Granted I won't be using MMS since I'm running everything through google voice. Also, since calling mart isn't selling ST refills, is my only option just to auto-renew on their site?

Ordinaire posted:

Name: straight talk
APN: att.mvno
Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
Port: 80
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy: 66.209.11.33
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,supl
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified

Name: mms
APN: att.mvno
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: mms
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

1karus posted:

Also, since calling mart isn't selling ST refills, is my only option just to auto-renew on their site?

$41.49, no tax. Used them many times. Legit.

http://www.refillmobi.com/

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Man, I hope that 'X Phone' Motorola and Google are apparently coming out with is worth skipping the N4 for. I'm just burning time on Ting, but leapfrogging the N4 since I/O is coming up.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

hotsauce posted:

$41.49, no tax. Used them many times. Legit.

http://www.refillmobi.com/

Does Refillmobi ever put the net10 family plan on there?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

Man, I hope that 'X Phone' Motorola and Google are apparently coming out with is worth skipping the N4 for. I'm just burning time on Ting, but leapfrogging the N4 since I/O is coming up.

If the rumors are true, it's nothing but a smaller N4 built by Motorola. Even then, the new phones won't come out until around September at the earliest.

The date is actually a confirmation from Eric Schmidt himself. He actually said "the second half of 2013" but if it was anywhere near July or June, they wouldn't say the second half of the year. We'll most likely see it around the time of the new Nexus.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

If the rumors are true, it's nothing but a smaller N4 built by Motorola. Even then, the new phones won't come out until around September at the earliest.

The date is actually a confirmation from Eric Schmidt himself. He actually said "the second half of 2013" but if it was anywhere near July or June, they wouldn't say the second half of the year. We'll most likely see it around the time of the new Nexus.

That's fine with me - I've had this unrequited love for moto's angular design since the Droid. Like hell I'd ever join Comcast Mobile Verizon.

E: given the likely price point I may as well just spring for the N4 and then flip it later. $600 phones these ain't.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

That's fine with me - I've had this unrequited love for moto's angular design since the Droid. Like hell I'd ever join Comcast Mobile Verizon.

E: given the likely price point I may as well just spring for the N4 and then flip it later. $600 phones these ain't.

Yeah, due to the price of the phone, honestly, I'd just go for the N4. There's no guarantee that Motorola will keep the price of the 4 for every single phone that launches with Google. Especially since they want these to go to the US carriers. They would never allow an unlocked phone to be cheaper than their on-contracts.

T-Mobile doesn't really count since they don't have contracts anymore. :v: I don't see Sprint, AT&T, or Verizon doing it however.

Now, the Nexus line may stay cheap but that's because it'll be GSM only until LTE matters in all countries.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, due to the price of the phone, honestly, I'd just go for the N4. There's no guarantee that Motorola will keep the price of the 4 for every single phone that launches with Google. Especially since they want these to go to the US carriers. They would never allow an unlocked phone to be cheaper than their on-contracts.

T-Mobile doesn't really count since they don't have contracts anymore. :v: I don't see Sprint, AT&T, or Verizon doing it however.

Now, the Nexus line may stay cheap but that's because it'll be GSM only until LTE matters in all countries.

Well, T-Mo did offer the N4 for something over $500 off-contract, so there's that :v:

Speaking of, how'd their service/coverage turn out to be? Nonexistent as expected?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Looked in the last few pages, but didn't see this (also cross posted in T-Mobile thread):

I'm looking to jump to the $30 "I have no friends" T-Mobile data only plan, but I want to check out their service first. I was planning on getting the $3 a day plan for a week or two to test the service, then switching to the $30 plan if everything works out. However, I remember reading somewhere that you can only sign up for the $30 plan once, and if you let it expire, you can't sign up again. If I sign up for the daily plan, will I become a current customer or something, and therefore be unable to sign up for the $30 plan?

EDIT: Answered in the T-Mobile thread. You have to get a new SIM card.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 23, 2013

thecopsarehere
Jul 25, 2008

So my contract with Sprint is up and I'm looking to switch to Ting to save money and in my excitement I may have bought a version of the Nexus S that I won't be able to switch over. This is the phone in question: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181128152537?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649. Anyone know if it'll work? Looking here: https://help.ting.com/entries/22567167-byod-whitelist it looks like the answer is no but these model numbers are rather confusing to me.

Any help would be appreciated!

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

thecopsarehere posted:

So my contract with Sprint is up and I'm looking to switch to Ting to save money and in my excitement I may have bought a version of the Nexus S that I won't be able to switch over. This is the phone in question: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181128152537?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649. Anyone know if it'll work? Looking here: https://help.ting.com/entries/22567167-byod-whitelist it looks like the answer is no but these model numbers are rather confusing to me.

Any help would be appreciated!

Should work. Nexus S 4G is the Sprint model.

thecopsarehere
Jul 25, 2008

SeaborneClink posted:

Should work. Nexus S 4G is the Sprint model.

Thanks, I'll report back if not.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I have it listed up in SA mart as well, but if any of you ting folks would like a Sprint Evo 4G I'm selling mine. $200 shipped to a goon that lives in the US. Comes with original box, literature, charger and a seidio innocase. It's also running a Sense 5 port, rooted +s-off, but I could put it back to stock if you so desire.

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.

SaNChEzZ posted:

I have it listed up in SA mart as well, but if any of you ting folks would like a Sprint Evo 4G I'm selling mine. $200 shipped to a goon that lives in the US. Comes with original box, literature, charger and a seidio innocase. It's also running a Sense 5 port, rooted +s-off, but I could put it back to stock if you so desire.

Not to put you down but that's $200 is excessive. $120 seems more favourable for you are offering.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

SaNChEzZ posted:

EVO 4G or EVO 4G LTE? They are two very different phones (YAY Sprint naming conventions!)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

ilkhan posted:

EVO 4G or EVO 4G LTE? They are two very different phones (YAY Sprint naming conventions!)

Sorry I meant 4g LTE. I'm just going by my local craigslist where they're still going between 180 and 350, not like anyone is going to get that. Being an LTE and OG Evo owner, specifying should have been my first grammar check haha.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 28, 2013

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I'm on Virgin Mobile and using an Optimus V. Time to upgrade - what are the choices I should be considering?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Bigass Moth posted:

I'm on Virgin Mobile and using an Optimus V. Time to upgrade - what are the choices I should be considering?

Depends on your price range. Most would say that an N4 can't be beat for the off contact price.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SB35 posted:

Depends on your price range. Most would say that an N4 can't be beat for the off contact price.

The N4 won't work on virgin mobile, although it never hurts to compare VM to plans and carriers that the N4 does work on.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

I switched from the Optimus V on Virgin to the Nexus 4 on TMO back around February. Couldn't be happier with it. If you have a decent TMO signal where you live I'd recommend making the switch. One of the better phones on VM is the Galaxy S II but thats a pretty old phone, especially for $279. For $299 you can get the 8gb Nexus 4, or $349 for the 16gb (you'll want the 16gb).

No matter what you get it will be an upgrade from the Optimus V.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Has anyone else been experiencing issues with accessing their Virgin Mobile accounts online? For the past week, each time I try to login I'm greeted with "We are in the process of updating our system. During this time you will not be able to make any changes to your account. You will be able to use your service while we're completing our system update." I can't wait to get away from Virgin Mobile.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

IMO the best options are:

Used iPhone 4/4S on Straight Talk

or

Nexus 4 on any carrier. $30.00 T-Mo is my suggestion if you're in their coverage zone and are comfortable using GrooveIP + Google Voice to offload those minutes to data via clever chicanery.

I just switched from a *gasp* Droid 2 on Verizon ($82 something/mo) to the Nexus 4 on TMo for $30/mo and it's loving incredible.

This is actually a fantastic phone, one of the the best you can get and it's laughably cheap.

Any phone will obliterate that Optimus V and you'll wonder how the gently caress you dealt with that turkey for so long.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

Smythe posted:

Nexus 4 on any carrier. $30.00 T-Mo is my suggestion if you're in their coverage zone and are comfortable using GrooveIP + Google Voice Google Voice + gChat + Laptop and/or an Obi to offload those minutes to data via clever chicanery.

In my experience (and a lot of others based on posts here) GrooveIP is basically unusable, even over Wifi. There are other alternatives for minutes-free calling, though.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Rooster Brooster posted:

In my experience (and a lot of others based on posts here) GrooveIP is basically unusable, even over Wifi.

Most (including myself) have had issues with most cell phone based VOIP, some people feel like Vonage is better on WIFI than most other solutions. However the OBI is rock solid and high quality as long as you have a decent broadband and don't saturate your connection with torrents.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Stick100 posted:

Come over and ask in the prepaid thread, someone will be able to help you. You might have to get the phone unlocked first.

So here I am in the prepaid thread!

I have a 2.5 year old HTC Surround that I just upgraded to a Lumia 920. I was hoping to replace my cheap Samsung I use as a home phone with the HTC. AT&T won't let me use the Surround on my family plan without a data plan. The only line (out of 4) that is on contract with my family plan right now is the Lumia.

Do I have any options here to switch the HTC to prepaid and drop a line off my family plan? I basically only use the number when I'm filling out forms with companies I don't want to give my cell number to. I don't need data, texting, or even all that many minutes. I just want to keep the phone number since I've been using it a long time.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

Devo posted:

So here I am in the prepaid thread!

I have a 2.5 year old HTC Surround that I just upgraded to a Lumia 920. I was hoping to replace my cheap Samsung I use as a home phone with the HTC. AT&T won't let me use the Surround on my family plan without a data plan. The only line (out of 4) that is on contract with my family plan right now is the Lumia.

Do I have any options here to switch the HTC to prepaid and drop a line off my family plan? I basically only use the number when I'm filling out forms with companies I don't want to give my cell number to. I don't need data, texting, or even all that many minutes. I just want to keep the phone number since I've been using it a long time.

Would you be better off just selling the HTC and porting your number to Google Voice since you don't really talk on it at all?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Venkmanologist posted:

Would you be better off just selling the HTC and porting your number to Google Voice since you don't really talk on it at all?

Possibly? I don't really know how Google Voice works and I doubt the HTC has much resale value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Devo posted:

I don't need data, texting, or even all that many minutes. I just want to keep the phone number since I've been using it a long time.

Huh, well you could port your number to google voice (people call it and google will redirect to whatever you want). Then you could just redirect that number to your other phone. If you want calls/text only you can get ATT prepaid without unlocking of if you get the phone unlocked you can get any prepaid plan.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/gophone.html#fbid=FQBKWXuU0rl

TMO pay by the minute is a pretty nice way to get a phone that can call and text for $100 per year.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay-as-you-go-plans

Also the OP has good info on prepaid coverage. Short version it's pretty good if you are on ATT or TMO corporate prepaid, not so good on other prepaids (esp. Boost/Virgin).

• Locked thread