Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

I have a Fagor 1800w portable induction cooktop, and it's excellent for searing with cast iron. It maxes out at about 430 degrees. Picked it up for $99 at Marshalls a couple years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Anyone here have experience with those portable induction burners they sell? Are they powerful enough to keep a heavy piece of cast iron blazing hot?

Depends on which one you get, but yes, absolutely.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Anyone here have experience with those portable induction burners they sell? Are they powerful enough to keep a heavy piece of cast iron blazing hot?

My brief experience, before mine died, was yes.
BUT I stopped using it with my cast iron because the thing wasn't heating up evenly and there wasn't enough room on mine to move the pan around. In fact it usually just stopped working if I tried to move it because it broke contact or whatever.
I did not have that problem with stainless; my pet theory is that my cast iron, being thicker, has inconsistencies (like knots in wood) that affected the flow of the magic from the whatzit through the thingies.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Not quite blazing hot, no. I have an expensive one that put on the table for hotpot, and it keeps the soup boiling nicely in a heavy cast iron. It has a bunch of fancy settings (electronic controls), but the soup setting is basically on or off.

EDit:
Then again, I've never tried to sear with it. I'll check the wattage.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 23, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

Not quite blazing hot, no. I have an expensive one that put on the table for hotpot, and it keeps the soup boiling nicely in a heavy cast iron. It has a bunch of fancy settings (electronic controls), but the soup setting is basically on or off.

Yeah that's more or less what I want it for. To do Korean bbq at the table. I have a smaller grill pan that seems like it would work, I just need to be able to keep it hotter than a couple of sterno cans could.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ds0wYpc1eM&t=143s

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Yeah that's more or less what I want it for. To do Korean bbq at the table. I have a smaller grill pan that seems like it would work, I just need to be able to keep it hotter than a couple of sterno cans could.

I don't know what burners you have access to, but for beer brewing they often have to have their thermostat bypassed.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My head got sunburned today. We've had a dreadful spring, and today was really sunny and warm, and I sat outside for about an hour - now it hurts like a motherfucker. It's April, for christ's sake! Weather's hosed up, yo.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I had my air conditioner going all last weekend when it got up to the mid-80's. Last night I had to close all the windows because it was so chilly, and shivered taking my dog out this morning. (North Carolina)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So what brands of induction hotplates should I be looking at?

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

The Midniter posted:

I had my air conditioner going all last weekend when it got up to the mid-80's. Last night I had to close all the windows because it was so chilly, and shivered taking my dog out this morning. (North Carolina)

yeah I left the windows open on sat night and woke up to the house being like 62 in the morning in Raleigh. The weather has been all over the place here.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

I'm in Office 2010 training today for work. They brought bannock for breakfast. My life was full of regret as I was peanut buttering my bannock: they just opened a can of klik.

Also, I made hummus with a blender on the weekend and while it was tasty I wouldn't use the blender for hummus ever again. A small part would blend and I'd have to stir more chickpeas to the bottom from the top ad infinitum, and had to fish out all the garlic to chop it up.

Edit: also also, the weather in Winnipeg's been way below average all month. We've had fresh snow every weekend... :smith: Winterpeg indeed!

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 23, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

4 hour sternos, the keronsene ones, run hotter than the alcohol gels.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

therattle posted:

My head got sunburned today. We've had a dreadful spring, and today was really sunny and warm, and I sat outside for about an hour - now it hurts like a motherfucker. It's April, for christ's sake! Weather's hosed up, yo.

It still freezes over here at night.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

BlueGrot posted:

If you're north of Stavanger, that's your own drat fault.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BlueGrot posted:

It's forecast to go down to 3C on Saturday.

Edit: god, that's a dull post.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

Old people chat itt.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

BlueGrot posted:

Contrast: My tomatoes and chile pepper plants from last year survived the winter with no special treatment. I'm harvesting strawberries already.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Dear Australia: your tv programmes are really fun to watch. And I've found myself asking my mates "how ye going" more than I care to admit.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

therattle posted:

Today it was 25C in Las Vegas. Tomorrow it will be sunny and 28. Cloudy and 29 on Thursday, then up to 31 for Friday. 33 on Saturday, and thirty loving SIX on Sunday.

Can we trade for a while? :(

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

bartolimu posted:

Today it was 25C in Las Vegas. Tomorrow it will be sunny and 28. Cloudy and 29 on Thursday, then up to 31 for Friday. 33 on Saturday, and thirty loving SIX on Sunday.

Can we trade for a while? :(

I'll trade you Austin. We had a 40 degree drop today. 85F to 45F in 2 hours!

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
The hardware store sells spent whisky barrel halves for planters. That's wicked awesome, so I got one and transplanted half the herbs that survived the winter into it.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

Contrast: My tomatoes and chile pepper plants from last year survived the winter with no special treatment. I'm harvesting strawberries already.

Signing up for secret santa so I can send you my cold, bitter and broken heart.

Edit: Aw you guys are using centigrade to please eurogoons, I'm so happy :D

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Clavietika posted:

They brought bannock for breakfast. My life was full of regret as I was peanut buttering my bannock: they just opened a can of klik.

Is this English? I literally how no clue what you just said. "buttering your bannock" has to be some kind of filthy aphorism, right?

Clavietika posted:

Also, I made hummus with a blender on the weekend and while it was tasty I wouldn't use the blender for hummus ever again. A small part would blend and I'd have to stir more chickpeas to the bottom from the top ad infinitum, and had to fish out all the garlic to chop it up.

I made a TON of hummus in my blender before I got the huge food processor. There are a few tricks to it, and I eventually burned out the motor, but you can make excellent hummus in a blender.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Haha, I wish. I got peanut butter and jam for my bannock (Which is aboriginal yeastless bread if you didn't know... IMO it's an acquired taste, until I worked in an aboriginal organization I thought it tasted like play-doh) but then somebody else opened a can of klik and my pov-stalgia kicked in and I wanted a bannock and klik sandwich. :unsmith:

And yeah my hummus was delicious, but it was way more time consuming than it would be (until I get the technique down or kill my blender I guess) with a food processor. I'm pretty lazy.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
What the heck is a klik?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Looks like some kind of manufactured meat product in Canada Land.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

dino. posted:

Dear Australia: your tv programmes are really fun to watch. And I've found myself asking my mates "how ye going" more than I care to admit.

It's "How yA goin' " BTW.
"Ye" is too old english. "Going" ie, pronoucing the last 'g' is too much effort.
How ya goin'

Also, you have two choices in speech for extreme aussie:
1) try to speak really nasally, and end words with a 'sing song' up-note, like you are asking a question enthusiastically.
2) Speak really gruffly and low from your throat like you are about to spit

That's the country Au speak anyway, in a suit and in the city it's somewhere in between, but still stands out as still being very different from everywhere else that speaks english because it has that mix between deep and gruff and sing song nasally speaking quality.

Edit:
BTW, what were you watching?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 24, 2013

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

drat, now I want spam.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Does spam claim to be premium pork?
Spam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

Head Movement
Sep 29, 2008

Fo3 posted:

That's the country Au speak anyway, in a suit and in the city it's somewhere in between, but still stands out as still being very different from everywhere else that speaks english because it has that mix between deep and gruff and sing song nasally speaking quality.

As a linguist I have to point out that this is not an entirely accurate characterization. Also, in this case, there is no difference between 'ya' and 'ye' as the intended vowel is a schwa (ə), which can be represented by either character.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Just personal experience, they are either whinging in a nasal tone, or agro. :D

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

trip report: noodles in okonomiyaki = awesome.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Head Movement posted:

As a linguist I have to point out that this is not an entirely accurate characterization. Also, in this case, there is no difference between 'ya' and 'ye' as the intended vowel is a schwa (ə), which can be represented by either character.

In my (admittedly anecdotal) experience, most English speakers reading quickly will interpret the e in "ye" as ɪ - that is, a near-high near-front unrounded vowel - and not ə as you are suggesting. That may be feature of American dialects, but it's certainly true of most people I know.

Head Movement
Sep 29, 2008

Yeah, it's true that I'm being overly picky. It's just that any orthographic vowel in English does get used to represent schwa at some point.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Head Movement posted:

schwa is such a good word

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Head Movement posted:

Yeah, it's true that I'm being overly picky. It's just that any orthographic vowel in English does get used to represent schwa at some point.

Since you're here, why do we like saying 'carsill' for 'castle'

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Fo3 posted:

What sort of people say "carsill"? That sounds very silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Movement
Sep 29, 2008

Fo3 posted:

Are you actually pronouncing an r? I would have guessed not. If you actually are, I would guess that because Australian dialects typically don't pronounce syllable final r's that it's an instance of hyper-correction and putting r's where no one else actually has them. Other than that, the t disappeared as complex consonant clusters have a tendency to simplify over time. The last bit is either a syllabic l or schwa followed by l which is fairly typical.