Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

GOOCHY posted:

They're junk. I've seen a few in the field that locked up, bricked, lost configurations, etc. They're also a right pain in the rear end to configure compared to a normal Catalyst.

Darn the reviews got my hopes up, Any good resources aside from Ebay for some Cisco gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Corvettefisher posted:

Does anyone have expirence with the SG-300's.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833150087
I am looking to spend a bit and get a full VMware lab going (less to no virtual on virtual). Wondering if anyone as experiences with them. They seem to be really good for the price. Probably going to buy two and hook them up to a 1841. Trying to keep costs down.

Maybe consider something like this:

http://www.cablesandkits.com/cisco-3550-series-12-port-gigabit-switch-wsc355012t-p-1520.html

A little more expensive, but it's better than the SG-300.

Corvettefisher posted:

Darn the reviews got my hopes up, Any good resources aside from Ebay for some Cisco gear?

I can vouch for cablesandkits.com. They're about the only place I ever go for Cisco gear if I can't find it locally. Top notch place. I've had no problem with their returns department the one time something was faulty. Packaging is second to none.

Of course it probably isn't the cheapest route, but meh.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

So if the process ID has nothing to do with DR election, nothing to do with the router ID, and is only significant to the router it's on and can be duplicated on other routers, then what does it do exactly? What is it significant to?

It is possible to have a router be a part of multiple separate OSPF networks. The process ID is simply a way to distinguish between them within the router's config.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Corvettefisher posted:

I am looking to spend a bit and get a full VMware lab going (less to no virtual on virtual). Wondering if anyone as experiences with them. They seem to be really good for the price. Probably going to buy two and hook them up to a 1841. Trying to keep costs down.

The SF/SG-x00 switches are an IOS style CLI built on top of a Linksys firmware. I wouldn't trust them in any environment really, much like any other Linksys product.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

SamDabbers posted:

It is possible to have a router be a part of multiple separate OSPF networks. The process ID is simply a way to distinguish between them within the router's config.

So if a router is a member of multiple Areas it will use the process ID to manage that area membership/database/etc?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

Maybe consider something like this:

http://www.cablesandkits.com/cisco-3550-series-12-port-gigabit-switch-wsc355012t-p-1520.html

A little more expensive, but it's better than the SG-300.

I can vouch for cablesandkits.com. They're about the only place I ever go for Cisco gear if I can't find it locally. Top notch place. I've had no problem with their returns department the one time something was faulty. Packaging is second to none.

Of course it probably isn't the cheapest route, but meh.

Hmm I really like the 3550 from looking at it on Cisco site, hopefully I can save enough for it.

I'll keep that site in mind as well.

Thanks.

less than three posted:

The SF/SG-x00 switches are an IOS style CLI built on top of a Linksys firmware. I wouldn't trust them in any environment really, much like any other Linksys product.

That sounds like a train wreck

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 22, 2013

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Corvettefisher posted:

Use any of Cisco's EoL/EoS switches. You should be able to find them for cheap. I picked up 4 3550's 24port and 2 2950's 24port for around $150 total locally.

3560 (non-G) are nice Layer 3 switches that should be able to be found cheaply.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

So if a router is a member of multiple Areas it will use the process ID to manage that area membership/database/etc?

No, the process ID indicates two completely separate OSPF clouds. Think VRFs. For example, ports Gig0/1 & Gig0/2 could be assigned to OSPF process 1 and exchange one set of LSAs with neighbors, and ports Gig0/3 & Gig0/4 could be on OSPF process 2 and have a completely separate set of LSAs to exchange with neighbors on those ports. Both OSPF processes can be assigned to the backbone area, but it would be two completely separate backbone areas.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

GOOCHY posted:

They're junk. I've seen a few in the field that locked up, bricked, lost configurations, etc. They're also a right pain in the rear end to configure compared to a normal Catalyst.

I disagree, I have 3 at home and they work flawlessly. However if you want to learn IOS they are not the way to go.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

SamDabbers posted:

No, the process ID indicates two completely separate OSPF clouds. Think VRFs. For example, ports Gig0/1 & Gig0/2 could be assigned to OSPF process 1 and exchange one set of LSAs with neighbors, and ports Gig0/3 & Gig0/4 could be on OSPF process 2 and have a completely separate set of LSAs to exchange with neighbors on those ports. Both OSPF processes can be assigned to the backbone area, but it would be two completely separate backbone areas.

Sorry, but I'm still confused! So... would it be more like running multiple instances of EIGPR via multiple AS numbers?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Sorry, but I'm still confused! So... would it be more like running multiple instances of EIGPR via multiple AS numbers?

Yes. But an OSPF process number is only locally significant unlike EIGRP.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Not really. Each EIGRP instance is analogous to an OSPF area. Read up on VRF for a use-case where you'd run multiple OSPF processes, or VRF-Lite if you don't want to get too deep into MPLS. The gist is that you can have multiple discrete routing tables coexisting in a single router, and each OSPF instance operates on a single routing table.

Say that you're running a service provider backbone network, and you have a client who wants a Layer 3 (routed) VPN between their multiple sites. They run OSPF internally and use 10.0.0.0/8. You already run OSPF on your routers, and also use 10.0.0.0/8, so you don't want your routes distributed into the client's network or vice-versa. The solution is to assign the client-facing interfaces to a VRF (separate routing table) and set up a second OSPF process on your routers to peer with their routers and use the client VRF. That way, their routing table is propagated between their sites over your network, while your routing table remains isolated from theirs.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 22, 2013

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Does anyone know of any good way to calculate bandwidth requirements for many online services? There is no baseline we can go by, company would start off with 20k OWA users, thousands of servers/workstations utilizing backup over the WAN, CRM, Webhosting and BES. I'm guestimating 3Gb based on past experience but I don't think I can present it that way.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Sepist posted:

Does anyone know of any good way to calculate bandwidth requirements for many online services? There is no baseline we can go by, company would start off with 20k OWA users, thousands of servers/workstations utilizing backup over the WAN, CRM, Webhosting and BES. I'm guestimating 3Gb based on past experience but I don't think I can present it that way.

Backup?

We have an office of just 250 users and our backups alone max out a gig pipe.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Sepist posted:

Maybe you could recommend going with a Metro Ethernet provider who can do a 10Gbps loop and instant-scalable bandwidth. Then you can start at, say, 2Gbps and turn it up if that turns out to be insufficient.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Great idea about metro ethernet, but I still need to figure out these bandwidth estimates. I'm gonna try and get all the vendor information and reach out to them, maybe they have some stuff to provide.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Backup?

We have an office of just 250 users and our backups alone max out a gig pipe.
Really? We are able to run nightly backups of everything for 750 users and replicate over 100mbps, overnight.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
We have 500 users and a 100mbit link, with Riverbed Steelhead appliances doing compression/dedup between data centres. We see about 7x throughput compared with before we installed them.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

the spyder posted:

I'm in the process of rebuilding my home lab in the hopes of actually using it for CCNA/CCNP.
Here is what I have ended up with last year:

2x ASA5505 Sec Plus with 1gb ram
2x 1841
3x 2950
2x 2620's
1x 3620
1x 3640

I want to add/replace a few things- what would you guys recommend? I was offered
two more 1841's and a 3750 locally. Trying to keep it under $1k.

Bringing this back from the dead: I acquired more gear from my buddy who owns a ewaste recycling company and I am thinking of craigslisting a bunch of the old stuff:

1x ASA5505 Sec Plus
1x 1760 with WIC 1DSU-T1 V2
3x 1841 with WIC 1DSU-T1 V2 cards
3x 2950 (Replace with 3560's?)
1x 2950T
3x 2621xm with WIC 1DSU-T1 cards
1x 2620 with WIC 1DSU-T1 and Serial cards (Junk?)
1x 2610 with NM-32A ASYNC module and cable (Junk, but keep ASYNC card, move to 2620?)
1x 3620 (JUNK)
1x 3640 with NM-4A/S

I have three 3560's waiting to be picked up, but I think I want to get rid of 1/2 this gear- I can do the CCNA with just 3 swithes and 3 routers from what I understand. Selling all the unneeded gear would pay for the cabling/cards I need too.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Inside/Outside Global/Local

code:

Inside                                 Outside

[   ]__________(  R1  )________________(  R2  )_____________[     ]
[   ]\         (      )\              \(      )            \[     ]
      \                 \              \                    \
       \                 \              \                    \
        192.168.1.1       75.18.16.87   9.16.3.18             10.8.2.4
      Inside Local      Inside Global   Outside Global       Outside local

Host - Router - Router - Host

IP on the inside host is Inside Local and is a private address. IP on the outbound facing interface on R1 facing R2 is a public IP and is the Outside Local. Corresponding IP on the R1 facing interface on R2 is a public IP and is Outside Global. Host behind R2 is Outside Local.

Is this correct?

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 23, 2013

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

inside local = untranslated source address
inside global = untranslated destination address
outside local = translated source address
outside global = translated destination address

from the perspective of an individual router with interfaces considered 'inside' or 'outside'.

It's dumb, bad, terrible terminology that Cisco desperately needs to stop using.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
The worst part is that there seems to be different explanations for it that don't have much to do with each other.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm finally cabling my CCIE lab equipment and I'm missing a serial cable. I don't remember what the connectors are called, but it is a 30ish pin Cable with DTE/DCE stamped on the end points. Anyone know what the cable is called and where I should look fro them? My 7 years of practical knowledge has luckily never had to deal with obsolete serial connectors :)

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

jwh posted:

It's dumb, bad, terrible terminology that Cisco desperately needs to stop using.

gently caress yes. I'm studying for my CCNP Firewall right now, and that poo poo is stupid.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Powercrazy posted:

I'm finally cabling my CCIE lab equipment and I'm missing a serial cable. I don't remember what the connectors are called, but it is a 30ish pin Cable with DTE/DCE stamped on the end points. Anyone know what the cable is called and where I should look fro them? My 7 years of practical knowledge has luckily never had to deal with obsolete serial connectors :)

DB60? http://pinouts.ru/SerialPortsCables/cisco_db60todb60_pinout.shtml

Or a WIC-1T cable? http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps214/products_tech_note09186a00801f5d87.shtml

ragzilla fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 23, 2013

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Jedi425 posted:

gently caress yes. I'm studying for my CCNP Firewall right now, and that poo poo is stupid.
Run multiple version 8 point releases in production and we'll discuss stupid.

e: speaking of which

bort fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 23, 2013

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

bort posted:

Run multiple version 8 point releases in production and we'll discuss stupid.

I'm about to. I work at a big hosting provider, and we're about to start selling ASA-Xs. Alongside ASAs running pre-8.2. Alongside PIXes.

:suicide:

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Hope you either like syntax or ASDM.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Powercrazy posted:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10206

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

drat, is it really a proprietary cable? Anyway I think it is the DB60 any idea where I can get one?

e: ah nm found it where I was originally looking...
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...CFUWK4Aodc1wAOw

I even explicitly searched for Cisco Serial cable! Bah. Thanks guys.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Jedi425 posted:

I'm about to. I work at a big hosting provider, and we're about to start selling ASA-Xs. Alongside ASAs running pre-8.2. Alongside PIXes.

:suicide:

Sounds like the place I work. Add in Fortigates of several firmware flavors, Juniper Netscreens of varying sizes, etc. I'm the old wizard that people come to for knowledge re: the Netscreens. I don't want to be the old wizard.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Powercrazy posted:

Have you taken the written recently? Mine is scheduled for end of May as of right now.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

routenull0 posted:

Have you taken the written recently? Mine is scheduled for end of May as of right now.

When I worked at Cisco ~5 years ago I took the CCIE R+S Written and passed with an 87% or something like that. Of course I was hot and heavy having just gotten my CCNP back when it was 4 Tests, BSCI, BCMSN, oh right ISCW and the ONT.

I have taken zero Cisco exams since...

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004
How long are the CCNP/CCIE written valid for? CCNA runs out after 3 years.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Gap In The Tooth posted:

I think it's the same. I'm certainly not current, but I'm not too concerned. I *think* if I take the CCIE Written I'll be current again, but meh. Whenever I see resumes unless they are claiming CCIE and a number I won't actually check any of their certs.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Powercrazy posted:

I think it's the same. I'm certainly not current, but I'm not too concerned. I *think* if I take the CCIE Written I'll be current again, but meh. Whenever I see resumes unless they are claiming CCIE and a number I won't actually check any of their certs.

Whenever I took a CCNP exam I noticed on the Cisco portal that it moved up my CCNA expiration date to match when I passed the last CCNP exam.

If you're already expired (sounds like you are) you probably won't re-up any of the certs that were expired.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Powercrazy posted:

When I worked at Cisco ~5 years ago I took the CCIE R+S Written and passed with an 87% or something like that. Of course I was hot and heavy having just gotten my CCNP back when it was 4 Tests, BSCI, BCMSN, oh right ISCW and the ONT.

I have taken zero Cisco exams since...

Yeah, I started on the NP way back when it was that way as well, but never finished and have only kept my NA valid since by passing CCDA for giggles. My attempt in May is really just to see how much I remember and if I want to really push for it. I've transitioned most of our core and edge to Juniper, and the only real Cisco I have left is some access/distro switching, but nothing on the routing side. Once I got in JUNOS I kind of swore off IOS. I'm just worried that I'll walk in May and somehow pass because of sheer luck and then I'm somewhat forced to get ready for the lab, or at least attempt it within 12mths. I think the process is still the same though, pass written, 12mths to take lab, if you fail lab, you get another 18mths. If you fail 2nd time you have to take written again.

1000101 posted:

Whenever I took a CCNP exam I noticed on the Cisco portal that it moved up my CCNA expiration date to match when I passed the last CCNP exam.

If you're already expired (sounds like you are) you probably won't re-up any of the certs that were expired.

How I understand it to be (I've been helping my guys research training for the year):

It is a flat 3yr term for the total certification once earned. I use to think that while doing the CCNP, you could pass one exam a year and practically get the NP over the course of 3 years, but I thought I read in this thread you now have to pass all 3 within a year.

You have to take an exam higher than or equal to the certification you hold to keep it current. So for CCNA, you could take any CCNA sub-domain to renew (I used the CCDA to renew my CCNA) or you could take any of the professional level exams. You could re-up your CCNA by passing one(1) of the CCNP exams at the end of your three(3) term for CCNA and it will renew or even just take the CCIE Written, which would renew a CCNA and your CCNP if you had it.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/certifications/associate/ccna/recert.html - that is specific to CCNA, but it is pretty much the same for each level. Pass the current exam again or something another level above.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/certifications/professional/ccnp/recert.html - CCNP if needed.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've been kind of moving into a VMware direction with my career so I'm up in the air about whether I want to follow down the CCNP path now. I guess I have until January to decide, that's when my NA expires. I might do something like CCNA Security just to keep it active though. It'd be a shame to let it expire.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Gap In The Tooth posted:

CCNA and CCNP are valid for three years and CCIE is valid for two years I think.
Although with CCIE, you only have to do the written exam to recertify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Martytoof posted:

I've been kind of moving into a VMware direction with my career so I'm up in the air about whether I want to follow down the CCNP path now. I guess I have until January to decide, that's when my NA expires. I might do something like CCNA Security just to keep it active though. It'd be a shame to let it expire.

Keep it active. The NA is quite possibly the most boring and mind numbing thing to study for.