Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stonerobixxx is looking for contributors if that's anyone's bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowlyChoking
Nov 23, 2004

Open fierce skies on me, on a bird and we experience the new death indeed.

Look what arrived over a week early. God drat this is good.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

rargphlam posted:

So Fister released a new album last month, and I don't think anyone posted it.

http://fister.bandcamp.com/album/gemini

I like it, and it seems worth mentioning because I remember some talk of Bronsonic.

Thanks for sharing! I got their 10" called Violence and I love it, glad there's more already. I had no idea about this. The record is seriously worth getting if you're a vinyl fan, the colours came out great and the art/jackets feel nice.

stationlost
Nov 27, 2010
great female fronted doom metal:

UZALA - http://uzala.bandcamp.com/
fuzzy fuzzed out doom with amazing vocals

Windhand - http://windhandva.bandcamp.com/
like old electric wizard with ridiculous reverb soaked vocals

SaturninE - http://saturninewitches.bandcamp.com/
amazing all female blackened doom band from italy

Witch Mountain http://witchmountain.bandcamp.com/
classic bluesy doom

Undersmile - http://undersmile.bandcamp.com/
like swans and bongripper collided

Worm Ouroboros - http://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/worm-ouroboros
doomy post rock with two amazing female vocalists

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

http://beastwars.bandcamp.com/

Beastwar's new album is out. Definitely worth a listen.

And the cover is loving insane.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
So I think everyone would be well behooved to check out the three sickest bands to ever come from Everett, Washington*:

Crop -More stonery stuff, heavy Weedeater influence especially on the vocals.
Böm Shänkär (featuring the guitarist from Crop!) -All over the place. Brutal as all hell.
Carrion Cathartid -Bluesy powerviolence/sludge. The vocals are goddamned incredible.

Sorry for the audio quality, turns out recording on lovely equipment doesn't sound very pro?

*The actual best band from Everett is Numb but they're fast so they don't go in this thread

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
Their first album was pretty bland, but the band haarp (on Phil Anselmo's label) released a fantastic record last year called Husks. The vocals are some of the best I've heard in sludge... sinister as hell, but almost completely intelligible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7oKJ3VYOz4

Optimum Gulps fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 23, 2013

niff
Jul 4, 2010

Mandactyl posted:

Makes me wish I still had a car with a cassette deck, because this would be the best 8 bucks ever spent:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sleep-Dopes...=item27d1ba15ae

I ordered this - am in New Zealand, so may take a while to arrive, but I am going to play the poo poo out of this.

speaking of cassette and stoner/doom - my band did a cassette demo a while back and we only just released it. not the greatest, but hey - have a listen if yer interested.

http://soundcloud.com/winston-shadbolt/crowsdemo1

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
This might sound a little out there but I've been getting into Kylesa alot over the past couple days. Is it just me or is there a strong post punk/early hardcore influence in there? Like a third of the songs sound like they could come from a punched up Husker Du album. Like "Zen Arcade" from an alternate universe.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Just have to say that "The Queen Of Death", by this Necronomicon (of the several bands by that name) is really, really good. Somewhere between a Black Sabbath and Deep Purple late '70s metal vibe, without being so proggy that it overrides the doom elements.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 24, 2013

Agustin Cienfuegos
May 7, 2008
Have any of y'all ever been to Roadburn? Looking for trip reports, thinking about maybe trying to go next year.

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Do it.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Agustin Cienfuegos posted:

Have any of y'all ever been to Roadburn? Looking for trip reports, thinking about maybe trying to go next year.
First of all - just do it. Tickets should go on sale around September or October, so keep an eye out then.

It was loving great, as usual! Third time running for me, and while Electric Wizard couldn't quite match up to the perfection of Sleep last year, the bands they curated were fantastic - I was so glad to see Cough again, as well as Moss and Uncle Acid (finally). Not to mention, High on Fire doing all of loving Art of Self Defense - holy poo poo.

There were lots more bands I hadn't heard of this year, which I was fine with since I was hoping to discover a bunch of music I'd never heard and it definitely delivered. Best surprises and highlights for me were Pilgrim (slow stoner/doom), Gravetemple (drone w/ O'Malley and Atilla), Maserati (stoner krautrock), Pallbearer, Cult of Luna, Electric Moon (spacey sludge/doom which was so well received they were the only band that were demanded back for an encore, afaik), Ihsahn, Teeth of the Sea and Switchblade.

John Baizley of Baroness just opened an art gallery of his works down the road from the venue, too, which was a cool bonus. It was 27,000 euros for the original coloured Green/Yellow artwork :o

edit: Check the video reports here to get a feel for what it's like - http://www.roadburn.com/roadburn-2013/ the main thing missing is the volume.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
The Hopscotch Festival has released the line-up: http://hopscotchmusicfest.com/news/post/2013-hopscotch-lineup-announced/

Besides Sleep and Gorguts can anyone point me to any other heavier bands on that list? With the exception of Sleep this line-up doesn't seem to have the metal that the previous year had.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

The Hopscotch Festival has released the line-up: http://hopscotchmusicfest.com/news/post/2013-hopscotch-lineup-announced/

Besides Sleep and Gorguts can anyone point me to any other heavier bands on that list? With the exception of Sleep this line-up doesn't seem to have the metal that the previous year had.

Pig Destroyer is there if you're into grindcore at all.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Oh hell yeah, I didn't see Pig Destroyer listed at first and still can't find them on the graphic list but they are there in the text. Thanks!

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Returned from Holland last night, my ears are still ringing. Highlights for me were Electric Wizard (they played an extended version of "Funeralopolis" which slayed), Uncle Acid, Asphyx (doing only slow songs), Jess & The Ancient Ones, High On Fire, and Electric Moon. Bummed out about missing Goat, but the venue was packed by the time Electric Wizard stopped playing. All the bands I saw put on some excellent performances though, and I'm already starting to feel excited for next year!

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

ElectricWizard posted:

Returned from Holland last night, my ears are still ringing. Highlights for me were Electric Wizard (they played an extended version of "Funeralopolis" which slayed), Uncle Acid, Asphyx (doing only slow songs), Jess & The Ancient Ones, High On Fire, and Electric Moon. Bummed out about missing Goat, but the venue was packed by the time Electric Wizard stopped playing. All the bands I saw put on some excellent performances though, and I'm already starting to feel excited for next year!
How loving good were Electric Moon? Seriously. I'd never heard them before.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Idioteque Dance posted:

Yeah, we went to see them on a whim, and stayed for the whole show even though the Green Room balcony was reaching boiling temperatures. Definitely the biggest surprise and new discovery of the festival for me.

Oh, and Herder was also an awesome surprise. The drummer from Urfaust really went insane on the bass, while the guitarist from The Devil's Blood shredded our balls off. Man, I'm really feeling the post-Roadburn depression now.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Mount Moriah isn't really heavy, but the guy behind Horseback is in it.

Wold's on it too, if you're into noise/black metal. So are Evoken, Loincloth, and Inter Arma.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 24, 2013

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

ASG is a stoner metal band from NC that plays tunes chock-full of juicy meaty riffs.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

ElectricWizard posted:

Did you catch Dread Sovereign/was their record available yet? Also if you caught Cobalt how were they?

Also thanks for Beastwars, thread. I bought the album last night and it loving slays. Bummed to miss out on the ltd vinyl, and shipping costs from NZ are too painful to bother with the regular edition for now!

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

nomapple posted:

Did you catch Dread Sovereign/was their record available yet? Also if you caught Cobalt how were they?

Unfortunately I didn't get into Tilburg from the campsite in time for Dread Sovereign, I believe they at least had some 7" for sale though, plus some shirts. Alan delivered the goods with Primordial as always, though.
I don't think Cobalt were playing? If they were, I didn't even notice them on the running order.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

ElectricWizard posted:

Unfortunately I didn't get into Tilburg from the campsite in time for Dread Sovereign, I believe they at least had some 7" for sale though, plus some shirts. Alan delivered the goods with Primordial as always, though.
I don't think Cobalt were playing? If they were, I didn't even notice them on the running order.

Yeah I seem to have got confused about that. Don't think they were on the bill. Looks like the lucky bastards at MDF get them all to themselves. Really loving the Dread Sovereign previews on bandcamp and can't wait for a full record.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
The new Uncle Acid is pretty fantastic. I really liked the Blood Lust album but there was really only about 4 or 5 songs that I would listen to frequently. I was worried that the new album wouldn't be able to hit the same spot that Blood Lust did. I was prepared to be let down so maybe that taints my judgement, but I'm finding that I like Mind Control a whole lot. Their sound is richer, the instruments sound awesome, the songs are well put together, the singing is great, they cover a lot of ground, there seem to be more substantial riffs etc.

I like the new album a great deal more than Blood Lust.

Friends Are Evil posted:

Mount Moriah isn't really heavy, but the guy behind Horseback is in it.

Wold's on it too, if you're into noise/black metal. So are Evoken, Loincloth, and Inter Arma.

I just learned that Mount Moriah and Horseback dude Jenks Miller are from North Carolina. I had no idea Horseback was coming from Chapel Hill, awesome! Thanks for pointing out the others, I missed Evoken and Inter Arma on the graphic flyer as well. Loincloth I'd never heard until now and I can almost dig it but the mathyness is a bit much for my tastes.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

ASG is a stoner metal band from NC that plays tunes chock-full of juicy meaty riffs.

Thanks! My brother was trying to remember their name and explain them to me the other day. I'm from NC and had never heard of these guys.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
If you guys like Electric Moon you should check out Lumerians. It's spacey hazy music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ThjjYzUIk0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHdBtSfPKu8

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
The entire new Purson album, The Circle and the Blue Door, is now streaming here. It's like an evil Abby Road.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

The entire new Purson album, The Circle and the Blue Door, is now streaming here. It's like an evil Abby Road.

Despite their player sucking as bad as their magazine, the songs that play I like. I wish it were a bit less keyboard heavy but I like this quite a bit. Definitely something I could put on for the wife's sake without wanting to wear earplugs.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Currently in the front row, just before Conan then Bongripper play here at Exchange in Bristol. This should be good!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ugh so jealous. Very sad Bongripper didn't come to Ireland this time :(

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Gutted you weren't able to see them, because ffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Bongripper played an amazing sounding and solid set, and Conan sounded like a bunch of pneumatic drills for a constant half hour (in a good way). Actually think they were louder than almost anything I saw at Roadburn...

Ah Crap!
Dec 1, 2003

same day, more shit
i don't listen to much slow stuff but i could listen to Bell Witch over and over. Dylan, the bass player from Samothrace, is in it and does so many bass nibs and sings awesomely. they floored me when i saw them live.

http://bellwitch.bandcamp.com/album/bell-witch-demo-2011

MR.B
Mar 15, 2007

I am the Owl

Idioteque Dance posted:

Currently in the front row, just before Conan then Bongripper play here at Exchange in Bristol. This should be good!

I was also along the front. Bongripper were brilliant, I hope I get to see them again at some point.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Idioteque Dance posted:

Just on my way to the Edinburgh show, sounds like it should be a good one.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.
:ducksiren::ducksiren:MELVINS 30TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR, Y'ALL:ducksiren::ducksiren:

30th Anniversary Tour with Honky
July 12, 2013 - Phoenix, AZ - Crescent Ballroom
July 13, 2013 - Albuquerque, NM - The Launchpad
July 15, 2013 - Denver, CO - The Summit Music Hall
July 17, 2013 - Omaha, NE - The Waiting Room
July 18, 2013 - Rock Island, IL - Rock Island Brewing Company
July 20, 2013 - Minneapolis, MN - Grumpy’s (Bash-13 Festival)
July 21, 2013 - Milwaukee, WI - Turner Hall Ballroom (w/Mudhoney)
July 22, 2013 - Chicago, IL - Double Door
July 23, 2013 - St. Louis, MO - The Firebird
July 25, 2013 - Cleveland, OH - The Grog Shop
July 26, 2013 - Detroit, MI - Small’s
July 27, 2013 - Syracuse, NY - The Westcott Theater
July 29, 2013 - Boston, MA - Paradise Rock Club
July 30, 2013 - Hartford, CT - Arch Street Tavern
July 31, 2013 - Brooklyn, NY - TBA
August 1, 2013 - Philadelphia, PA - Underground Arts
August 2, 2013 - Baltimore, MD - Ottobar
August 3, 2013 - Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
August 4, 2013 - Carrboro, NC - Cat’s Cradle
August 5, 2013 - Atlanta, GA - The Loft at Center Stage Atlanta
August 7, 2013 - New Orleans, LA - One Eyed Jack’s
August 8, 2013 - Houston, TX - Warehouse Live
August 9, 2013 - Austin, TX - Mohawk
August 10, 2013 - Dallas, TX - Trees
August 13, 2013 - Salt Lake City, UT - Club Sound
August 14, 2013 - Boise, ID - Neurolux
August 16, 2013 - Seattle, WA - Neumo’s
August 19, 2013 - Vancouver, BC - Commodore Ballroom
August 20, 2013 - Portland, OR - Wonder Ballroom
August 22, 2013 - San Francisco, CA - Slim’s

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Melvins fucken own live, check that poo poo out.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

The new Uncle Acid is pretty fantastic. I really liked the Blood Lust album but there was really only about 4 or 5 songs that I would listen to frequently. I was worried that the new album wouldn't be able to hit the same spot that Blood Lust did. I was prepared to be let down so maybe that taints my judgement, but I'm finding that I like Mind Control a whole lot. Their sound is richer, the instruments sound awesome, the songs are well put together, the singing is great, they cover a lot of ground, there seem to be more substantial riffs etc.

This bands lyrical content is pretty amazing and unique, I really enjoy it.

Over and Over Again posted:

The rat familiar cries out
To the witch in the village
She rises up from her hideout
And screams over and over again

They couldn't kill her with fire
Although her body did burn
Left on the funeral pyre
She screamed over and over again
And through her eyes,
Saw blackened skies
I don't want to know her anymore

She cast her spell on the people
Could see the pain in their eyes
From the soil to the steeple
They screamed over and over again

The blood rose up from the red lake
Crashing down on them all
Destroying all that's in its wake
They screamed over and over again

from some song posted:

I am the spider crawling in your brain

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Idioteque Dance posted:

I was very confused when I looked for these guys on Spotify and found this..

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Melvins at Gurmpys, fuuuuuck. So there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
Saw Bison BC in Ottawa last night, it was loving great. Glad the turnout was as good as it was since The Casualties were playing downstairs. They basically played all of Lovelessness, minus An Old Friend, as well as the brilliantly titled Stressed Elephant, Wendigo pt. 1 and These Are My Dress Clothes, which is always a crowd pleaser.

Anyway, a local band called Swarm of Spheres was one of the openers, I thought they were pretty good and some people in this thread might like them. Their live sound is so heavy they caused the ceiling to leak. Their album is available for name your price on their bandcamp.