Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Misogynist posted:

Man, I basically lifted the "starting to look like abandonware" part from a different part of the post without noticing, sorry. What I meant is that the platform is new and the userland is pretty neglected, at least compared to what people might expect from a modern-day Linux/BSD. I do hope that some more momentum springs up behind it later; OmniTI being the Red Hat of Illumos would be a pretty cool thing for Oracle to have to fight with.

AIX is being actively developed by IBM and it's cash-flow positive for them, but it doesn't mean it has good long-term prospects as a general-purpose OS in most people's datacenters. Not intended as a slam -- Theo Schlossnagle is a really loving smart guy and OmniOS has some really great stuff going on -- but it's a product with very specific use cases. If you want something to make you more productive as an admin out of the box, I'm not at a point where I could comfortably recommend it to people who aren't looking to engineer their whole app stack from the ground up. It's basically the Slackware of Illumos distributions, and people are using it because nobody's released a Debian yet with enough momentum to keep the core bits of the platform from bitrotting.

I give him a lot of credit for the shitload of Illumos expertise they have behind what they do, though, and I hope they're successful at keeping it running (not least of all because of what the other Illumos distro commit histories look like).

NP; I think that's all pretty reasonable, and thanks for clarifying re: abandonware. I do think that the minimalism isn't as big of a deal in a NAS role if you're reasonably comfortable with ZFS and Unix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

PCjr sidecar posted:

NP; I think that's all pretty reasonable, and thanks for clarifying re: abandonware. I do think that the minimalism isn't as big of a deal in a NAS role if you're reasonably comfortable with ZFS and Unix.
This is an interesting use case, actually, since OmniOS was really designed to run as a web platform.

Amandyke posted:

Just added 3.24 raw PB to a customer's environment in under 3 hours today. Yay scale-out nas!
Isilon? Clearly you're not talking about something with FC zoning and manual LUN creation.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm going to be testing Napp-it to go, http://napp-it.org/manuals/to-go_en.html on three of the new systems I am building. None of our stuff is production critical, otherwise I would be pushing for a Netapp/VNX.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

I don't get it, are you implying that important decisions about core infrastructure should be made on facts rather than gut feelings and intuition?

No, that would just be crazy.

do you work where I work?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

What's the preference with nas storage vs something that is raw block based?

I've never worked in a huge environment but I would rather have raw block storage and throw a VM in front of whatever I need to present.

VMware View can have some substantial benefits with NFS and VAAI with a view Environment.
http://www.joshodgers.com/2012/09/10/native-nfs-snapshots-vaai-w-vmware-view-composer-view-5-1/

Utilizing NFS to avoid VMDK limitations and take more advantage of the SP features is also a plus, which can come in handy for File Servers and such, depending how you design your environment.

With iSCSI/Block I do notice I tend to use more for servers(non VDI or FS), as oppose to NFS where read/write latency is marginally better. However, now of days NFS and ISCSI are fairly close in performance assuming you design your storage network properly.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I have four SATA 2TB hard drives, and need to make a file server for my hospital. We serve Homefolders with pretty much just Excel and PDF files to 300 (maybe 50 active at a time) users over Gigabit.

I just need something that will do Active Directory and NTFS permission support in a Raid 1+0 and not gently caress up, for under $500. That's pretty much it. Anyone have eBay or Amazon links?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Misogynist posted:

Isilon? Clearly you're not talking about something with FC zoning and manual LUN creation.

You are correct. Added another 1.1 PB today.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zero VGS posted:

I have four SATA 2TB hard drives, and need to make a file server for my hospital. We serve Homefolders with pretty much just Excel and PDF files to 300 (maybe 50 active at a time) users over Gigabit.

I just need something that will do Active Directory and NTFS permission support in a Raid 1+0 and not gently caress up, for under $500. That's pretty much it. Anyone have eBay or Amazon links?

Either you don't mean hospital or this is some sort of horrible joke

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Caged posted:

Either you don't mean hospital or this is some sort of horrible joke

Sorry, psychiatric hospital. No one is in imminent danger of death if I gently caress it up. Still. They refuse to buy me anything to do my job so I use a loophole to buy gear under $500 and get reimbursed as a vendor. Did I mention we're a fortune 500?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
e: oh god

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Just recommend me a nice brand/model, pretty please. I'm tied up tonight with Vobfus virus that slipped through corporate's antivirus and is (slowly) changing all of our file attributes into hidden system files.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hahaha this is amazing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Honestly I don't want to recommend anything because when it all comes crashing down I'll feel responsible. That's probably not even enough cash for a Synology box and they are in no way suitable for that sort of task.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Zero VGS posted:

Just recommend me a nice brand/model, pretty please. I'm tied up tonight with Vobfus virus that slipped through corporate's antivirus and is (slowly) changing all of our file attributes into hidden system files.

Just stop posting before you get this thread goldmined.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Mierdaan posted:

Just stop posting before you get this thread goldmined.

C'mon, I'll settle for something consumer-grade if you believe in your heart of hearts that it will work.

My boss just called in and told me to block all internet for the entire facility and remove one PC from the domain on each unit to be the dedicated surfin' console.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Zero VGS posted:

Sorry, psychiatric hospital. No one is in imminent danger of death if I gently caress it up. Still. They refuse to buy me anything to do my job so I use a loophole to buy gear under $500 and get reimbursed as a vendor. Did I mention we're a fortune 500?

I don't even know what to say to this

Zero VGS posted:

C'mon, I'll settle for something consumer-grade if you believe in your heart of hearts that it will work.

My boss just called in and told me to block all internet for the entire facility and remove one PC from the domain on each unit to be the dedicated surfin' console.

You can check out, Yeah I don't even loving know where to begin, What budget are you working with? and 500 is not an answer.

I mean I was looking at this for a Home NAS but I don't know about production
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822107077

Well maybe if I had a lobotomy done...

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 24, 2013

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
guys he's a patient, not an employee

eta: or he will be :shepicide:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I mean yeah I'd be comfy using that. Rack-mount would look a little more convincing but I don't think I can find from this generation under $500. That's literally my budget because I'm running this stuff off my personal Visa for reimbursement and anything more gets audited by corp finance instead of our local CFO who's cool with this scheme.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Zero VGS posted:

I mean yeah I'd be comfy using that. Rack-mount would look a little more convincing but I don't think I can find from this generation under $500. That's literally my budget because I'm running this stuff off my personal Visa for reimbursement and anything more gets audited by corp finance instead of our local CFO who's cool with this scheme.

HOW THE gently caress IS THIS LEGAL? Or is this the result of an IT Manager who just wouldn't/can't say no?

Don't loving use that

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can't believe that your budget for profile storage is under $2 per user. Is someone trying to run their own little splinter cell network without corporate knowing?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I have a reseller that will do whatever you want him to. He'll send you 4 invoices for 450 each if you want to buy something for 1800 bucks. I've used him many times to get things past purchasing. Top of the line MacBook Pro becomes "Intel based Executive Laptop".

We used to have a 3K limit before VP approval became necessary. I once bought a top of the line laptop and he put 2800 on one PO, and then charged me 700 for a 'docking station' on another to scoot it by finance. I don't recommend putting your job on the line for this though. My name was no where on those purchase requests.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

paperchaseguy posted:

eta: or he will be :shepicide:

I refuse to believe we are not getting trolled.

Go read the "Working in IT" and Certification threads immediately and YOTJ the gently caress out of there. With regard to your question, your "best" (:emo:) option might seriously be to buy some white box parts off NewEgg and then install OpenFiler or some poo poo on there if your constraint is seriously to create a file server for under $500. And yeah, at least do what Skipdogg proposes. Buy parts under your limit spread over a few months until you can assemble something that isn't a shambling horror.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

paperchaseguy posted:

I really want this to be like that episode of NCIS where the psychiatric hospital employee they're talking to turns out to be a patient the whole time.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah but this isn't for a laptop for me, I've bought maybe 100 grand worth of stuff and every item has my boss requesting it, CEO approved, and in production + inventoried. That's why upper management is OK with it. If I go through corporate, they make me do things like spend $3000 on some thingy from CDW when I can get the same exact item on eBay from another hospital that is shuttering and trying to liquidate them. The problem is they take the $3k out of our very short budget. I haven't had a raise in the three years I've been here, at least I started high. The 1% credit card rewards are starting to bridge the gap though.

Caged posted:

I can't believe that your budget for profile storage is under $2 per user. Is someone trying to run their own little splinter cell network without corporate knowing?

The splinter network was here years before I was, I'm actually trying to build our way back out of it. Hell, we had a completely isolated DC and backup DC and once corp finally saw it they were like "What the hell is this?!"

Docjowles posted:

Go read the "Working in IT" and Certification threads immediately and YOTJ the gently caress out of there. With regard to your question, your "best" (:emo:) option might seriously be to buy some white box parts off NewEgg and then install OpenFiler or some poo poo on there if your constraint is seriously to create a file server for under $500. And yeah, at least do what Skipdogg proposes. Buy parts under your limit spread over a few months until you can assemble something that isn't a shambling horror.

I've been working IT for a decade now, this place pays too much and ask too little of me. At least I get the autonomy to be a purchasing wizard. I did build up our terminal server piecemeal like that. That's actually why I have these four 2TB drives as well.

Mierdaan posted:

I really want this to be like that episode of NCIS where the psychiatric hospital employee they're talking to turns out to be a patient the whole time.

I did IT for the Navy too and it's not as fun as NCIS is, that's for sure.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Docjowles posted:

Go read the "Working in IT" and Certification threads immediately and YOTJ the gently caress out of there. With regard to your question, your "best" (:emo:) option might seriously be to buy some white box parts off NewEgg and then install OpenFiler or some poo poo on there if your constraint is seriously to create a file server for under $500.

I was actually wondering what the gently caress 500 would get you for whiteboxed NAS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859107052
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118114
or feeling superlucky
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101358
:unsmigghh:

But in all honesty you should really loving YOTJ or say it can not be safely done with a sub 500 dollar budget and get funding for something like a Dell Tower Server with an actual raid controller and such. I realize your user base is small but 1) you are a loving hospital 2) this is mission critical poo poo, if when that fails you are going to be SOL because I can all but imagine what backups look like, 3) it is an enterprise environment you say you support 300 users, but the work they hold is only worth $1.80 a pop? I realize you are doing what you need to in order to keep a job and such but holy gently caress run like hell and document the poo poo out of how you do not believe this is a good idea.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 24, 2013

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

skipdogg posted:

I have a reseller that will do whatever you want him to. He'll send you 4 invoices for 450 each if you want to buy something for 1800 bucks. I've used him many times to get things past purchasing. Top of the line MacBook Pro becomes "Intel based Executive Laptop".

We used to have a 3K limit before VP approval became necessary. I once bought a top of the line laptop and he put 2800 on one PO, and then charged me 700 for a 'docking station' on another to scoot it by finance. I don't recommend putting your job on the line for this though. My name was no where on those purchase requests.

suddenly this thread is going places!

places i dont want to go, but still

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
this poo poo is hosed up. I can literally spend up to $100k without anyone asking any questions that can't be answered in a three line email. I can spend $20k without filling out any paperwork. When a vendor requires a PO i use my initials and the date.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Mierdaan posted:

ER did it first :smug:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think he's saying $500 per component, so he could actually spend quite a pile of money on NewEgg at $500 an item (case might be tricky, but everything else should be fine...).

Still agree it's a terrible idea.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

It's cool walking in a DC and seeing about 20 racks full of EMC storage nodes. Also we got our small 4 node cluster installed now. Yay storage.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

adorai posted:

this poo poo is hosed up. I can literally spend up to $100k without anyone asking any questions that can't be answered in a three line email. I can spend $20k without filling out any paperwork. When a vendor requires a PO i use my initials and the date.

I would be happy with a 2K purchase limit. Everything I have to buy has to go through Oracle though, from a 35 dollar adapter from CDW to a new laptop from Dell. It has to go through the system and hit the correct budget. One of the engineering lab guys has an Amex card to purchase crap, but I wouldn't want the headache, he probably spends 4 hours on the paperwork every month. Purchases over 2K have to get asset tags and go through finance beforehand, blah blah blah. One of the downsides of corporate I guess.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

adorai posted:

How you doin? ;-*

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I found a decommissioned ML530 in the back room, the kind that's free-standing with wheels on the bottom instead of the 7U rack mount.

Is this thing too old, or can I install a SATA controller like the posted from NewEgg and get OpenFiler going?

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10494_div/10494_div.html

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Zero VGS posted:

I found a decommissioned ML530 in the back room, the kind that's free-standing with wheels on the bottom instead of the 7U rack mount.

Is this thing too old, or can I install a SATA controller like the posted from NewEgg and get OpenFiler going?

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10494_div/10494_div.html

That thing is way too old to run any modern OS.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I see what you mean, the thing doesn't even have USB. Back to the drawing board.

Edit: How about a Proliant ML330 G3?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 24, 2013

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

G3 HP servers will run Windows 2003 for sure, not sure about 2008. I still have a couple DL360 G3's hanging around in non production roles.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah I see what you mean, the thing doesn't even have USB. Back to the drawing board.

Edit: How about a Proliant ML330 G3?

Dear lord.

I am turning my nose at our aging G5s and yanking them all from production as fast as I can.

No one will advise anything for you here since it is a production environment. Heading over to the "packrats unite" thread is all people running home NAS and whitebox NAS unites will get you a better idea of what you "could" (not should) build/buy.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Come to find out my VNXe quote was basically list price...went to my normal VAR and he beat it by an absurd amount. Happy times are here again.

Tyren
Dec 28, 2012

skipdogg posted:

I just got some quotes back on a VNXe3300 and either pricing is up over 25% in the last year or my VAR is being ridiculous. What competitor should I be beating them down with? LeftHand/P4xxx? I want NAS functionality on the filer, so EqualLogic is out. Compellent might be overkill. Straight NAS would be ok, I can do VMWare over NFS.

The problem is we're going to buy the EMC anyway since upper management decided all storage is to be EMC now, but I just need to 'play the game' a bit.

[Edit: should have read to the end; oh well. Going to keep this here anyway] In USD (the division of EMC thats responsible for VNX and VNXe development), all we ever hear about is Netapp; they're definitely your first choice if you had to pick one. I would also consider Compellent via Dell, as relations with them (Dell) went sour a couple years back when they bailed on our partnership with them to mark out their own in the storage vertical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tyren posted:

[Edit: should have read to the end; oh well. Going to keep this here anyway] In USD (the division of EMC thats responsible for VNX and VNXe development), all we ever hear about is Netapp; they're definitely your first choice if you had to pick one. I would also consider Compellent via Dell, as relations with them (Dell) went sour a couple years back when they bailed on our partnership with them to mark out their own in the storage vertical.

If I ever meet anyone responsible for the VNX line I am going to punch them in the face. Our two VNX 5300 were the buggiest pieces of poo poo.