Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I've been baking some simple no-knead breads for a while, and this last loaf I made was pretty yeasty and it was awesome. Now I want to make a beer bread, not really so I can replace some of the yeast with it, more to add the flavor. Any advice/recipes/beers to avoid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I've been making pita bread recently and they've been coming out really well.

720g all purpose flour
2 cups warm water
3 teaspoons salt
3 teaspoons active dry yeast

Mix salt and flour, bloom yeast in water. Mix into dough and knead for 5 min. Rise at room temp till doubled. Punch down, separate into balls and leave covered for 20 min or so. Roll out and slap onto a ripping hot pizza stone and cook for 2-4 min. They puff up so nicely!

I made these on Saturday night and had 6 balls that went unused. I re-combined them and put them into a greased tupperware container in the fridge. After 2 nights in the fridge, it has nearly tripled in size. What should I do with it? Can I just punch it down, separate, bench proof and cook them like normal? Is there anything else I can do with it?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
It was extremely sticky, but I managed to knock out a few pitas regardless. I know if I knead longer and build up the gluten it will be easier to work with. What are the negative points to this?

Here is the result! Excuse the crappy pictures. We were hungry!

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
How do you all store your bread?

I'm never sure weather to put it in a container, plastic bag or get a bread bin.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
With a normal crusty loaf of sourdough I put the cut side down on something (like plastic) and just leave it there.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Created my own sourdough starter just over a week ago.
Today, first loaf is currently rising. Not normally a baker, but excited to see how it goes. Not overly hopeful, as I know how picky breads can be, but here's to hoping. Only other bread I've ever made is that no-knead peasant bread recipe you bake in a dutch oven, which is good, but this is a little more...in-depth.

Survey says! ... Cut less deep, bake at higher temps. Loaves sprung open like rotten corpses due to the X I cut on top of them, but still had the internals of good sourdough sandwich bread. Needed additional baking after I cut into them. Dog is crying for more outside the oven, we'll see what the wife says :) Good warm bread with butter is too hard to judge.

Super Final Edit: It's good. Real good, and despite busting open on top are still thick and nice enough to slice into sandwhichy-slices without being too grainy and falling apart. I likes. I took photos of them to share with you guys but lost my stupid USB thing for my camera somewhere :/

I see that there. fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 17, 2013

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Xarb posted:

From the Bread Baker's Apprentice:

quote:

Lean, crusty breads are stored differently than soft, enriched breads. If you want to preserve the crustiness in lean breads, store them in paper, but they will become stale within a day and are best eaten on the same day they are made. If you want to preserve them for more than a day, “cater wrap” the loaves in plastic wrap (this means wrap them completely in both directions to prevent any air from getting to them). Then, either freeze or place them in a cool, dark place. You can also use zipper-style plastic bags, squeezing out all the air before sealing. When freezing, it is acceptable to preslice the loaf so that you can remove only what you need without defrosting the entire loaf. Snack-sized zippered bags are useful for individual slices.

Soft, enriched bread, such as sandwich bread, is always best stored in plastic and either frozen or kept in a cool, dark place (exposure to sunlight causes the loaf to sweat, creating condensation in the wrapper and, eventually, mold on the loaf). Presliced sandwich loaves are best for freezing, allowing the removal of only the slices you are planning to use (and they thaw much more quickly than whole loaves).

Don’t store bread in the refrigerator. It dries out, even when packaged in sealed plastic bags.
Don’t store crusty breads in plastic bags or in plastic wrap unless you plan to recrisp the crust in the oven.
Don’t store soft, enriched breads in paper bags unless you intend to dry them out for bread crumbs or croutons.
Don’t store any bread that you intend to dry for crumbs in plastic bags or plastic wrap. If the moisture cannot escape, the bread will eventually mold.
Don’t store warm bread in plastic bags or plastic wrap. Wait until it has completely cooled down (no warmth at all), to prevent condensation from forming in the bag and thus accelerating mold development.

Most of the bread I make ends up going into gallon sized plastic bags which are really quite cheap.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.

Party Plane Jones posted:

From the Bread Baker's Apprentice:
Ah that's great, thanks. I might have to reconsider buying that book. I almost did but read a review saying it only has measurements in the Imperial system. I'm not sure I could be bothered converting all the recipes to metric.

stochastastic
Jun 5, 2003

Xarb posted:

Ah that's great, thanks. I might have to reconsider buying that book. I almost did but read a review saying it only has measurements in the Imperial system. I'm not sure I could be bothered converting all the recipes to metric.

Why convert the recipes, does your scale not let you switch units? Buy the book, it's great. I love it.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Xarb posted:

I'm never sure weather to put it in a container, plastic bag or get a bread bin.

In my stomach, there's a reason bakeries get rid of their day old bread. :colbert:

But yeah the quote is spot on in my experience. Storing bread in plastic lets the moisture redistribute and leaves it soft, storing it in paper or some other breathable container maintains a crusty crust but the bread will dry out faster. Either way, its just not the same after 12 hours so if possible I just try to bake exactly as much as I need and not have any left for saving, or use it for toast/croutons/ect where it doesn't matter.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Xarb posted:

Pretty much one of the first things in the book is how ingredients are measured further along in the book: by weight.

quote:

Every formula in this book lists both the volume measure (cups, teaspoons, and tablespoons) and weight. Obviously, a cup of flour does not weigh the same as a cup of water, or of salt, or of yeast. In fact, 1 cup of flour scooped by one person may not weigh the same as 1 cup scooped by another. That is why professional bakers prefer to use weights, since 1 pound of flour, regardless of how many scoops or cups it took to get there, will weigh the same 1 pound from person to person.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Party Plane Jones posted:

Pretty much one of the first things in the book is how ingredients are measured further along in the book: by weight.

Indeed, but weights are measured both in metric (yay!) and Imperial (boo!).

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

Indeed, but weights are measured both in metric (yay!) and Imperial (boo!).

While it's annoying to have to find different volume measures, pretty much every kitchen scale would be able to switch between weights. The only things you might have trouble with if you don't have a very accurate scale is yeast.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I went to Home Depot last week and bought a 4 pack of unglazed 18" travertine tiles I believe they were $2 + change a ft, so like 18 bux total.
Finally got around to using them last night to make some pizza, and holy cow, they work great! Crust turned out fantastic, can't wait to do some bread on them, maybe this weekend I will have some time to do it.
I would recommend pulling out your an oven rack and measuring its length to the point where it turns up in the back, the 18" tile hangs over mine just a little but there is enough room in front of the rack so that it doesn't hit the door.
I would guess that if you went to a flooring specific store it would be easier to find 12" tiles.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
I hosed up a bread by undercooking it today :(

Good ways to tell when they're done? Poke them with something? I've been doing rye/wholewheat so colour is harder to use as a judge than with a white bread.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Tap underside with finger and check for hollow sound. It takes a bit of practice. If in doubt, bake longer. Bread is much more resilient to overbaking than cakes and pastries.

Also proof properly before stuffing in oven, that is, until fingermarks don't disappear. This is also a question of practice.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Use a thermometer! I take mine out when it hits about 209 degrees.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Xarb posted:

While the measurements are all Imperial (weight and volume), there is a "baker's formula" for each recipe, where the ingredients are measured as a percentage compared to flour. If you use a nice round amount of flour (1kg or 500g) it's pretty easy to do everything. For example, when I make sourdough, it's 100% flour (10% rye and 90% bread flour), 75% water, 2% salt, and 10-15% starter. That worked out to 500g total flour (50 rye and 450 bread flour), 375g water, 100-150g starter, and 10g salt. That type of formula is given for each recipe in the Breadbaker's Apprentice so you can do your metric measurements without too much conversion that way.

desert diver
Mar 30, 2010

I've tried to make bread before but always managed to mess it up somehow. This time I followed this simple no-knead recipe almost exactly, except I let it rise overnight. It worked!

It tastes great for something I made myself with so little effort, but I am not really a fan of white bread generally. What are similarily idiot-proof recipes that results in a little darker bread?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

desert diver posted:

I've tried to make bread before but always managed to mess it up somehow. This time I followed this simple no-knead recipe almost exactly, except I let it rise overnight. It worked!

It tastes great for something I made myself with so little effort, but I am not really a fan of white bread generally. What are similarily idiot-proof recipes that results in a little darker bread?
Nice job.

Follow exactly the same method but sub in up to 80% wholewheat flour (or a bit less rye). You might need a bit more water. You'll have a denser loaf but the taste and texture will still be great.

Troll
Jan 15, 2012
It isn't quite bread, but it is baking related. Finally got around to publishing my ratio app which I have been using pretty extensively this last month. Just posting it here in case any of you are interested. No ads or artificial limitations thus far. It is Android 4.0+ only currently.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wtl.baking

I intend on adding in a recipe notes page when I get more free time (also possibly a way to track recipe variants for trials).

Lately I've been maintaining a never-ending supply of naan dough which I just broil on a baking stone whenever I'm hungry. Here is a particularly delicious one.

Troll fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 20, 2013

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Crossposting from the homebrew thread because this is actually more bread than beer. For a more authentic European taste, use a pate ferment from previous batch. In order to do this, reserve one pretzel worth the dough from previous batch and retard fermentation in the refrigerator until you make your next batch. Add this to the next batch of dough after the flour is incorporated, however cut back on yeast to 1 teaspoon.

tonedef131 posted:

I brewed up a triple decoction Helles today and made my Bavarian pretzels with some of the afterrunnings. I have tried a lot of different traditional pretzel recipes and had a lot of failure and success, but after 3 years of trial & error I have taken what I like from each of them and thought I had it perfect. Then when I was brewing I had the idea of using some after-runnings in place of the water and sugar and it actually improved it. I’m sharing this because most beer drinkers enjoy pretzels, and as a brewer you have access to the secret ingredient.

1.5 cups of last runnings, nothing too dark or strong. You get bonus points if the grainbill is for a Bavarian beer.*
2 teaspoons of dry active yeast (not instant/rapid rise)
2 t of kosher salt
2 oz of lard
22 oz of unbleached bread flour

When wort is at the 105-115F range add yeast until bloomed then mix in salt and fat, then add flour and mix until a firm dough has formed. Work into a ball on the countertop, then put in a greased bowl until doubled in size, about an hour.

Preheat oven to 450. Divide into as many equal pieces as you want pretzels and roll out into long strands with a fat middle. Twist spin and press down the ends lightly, bench rest for 30-45 min. After this rest it can be helpful to refrigerate them for a few minuets, this is totally optional but will form a skin and help them hold their shape when being washed in lye.

When ready to bake, make a solution of 3% lye and dunk each pretzel in it for 5 seconds or so. Put pretzels on baking sheet, add coarse salt or other desired toppings and score the belly. Bake at 450 for 15 min or so, and then cool for 5 min before serving with mustard, weisswurst and weissbier (pictured here with a dunkel).

*If wort runnings aren’t available you can sub 1.5 tablespoons of light DME in 1.5 cups of water. However, I see no reason why you couldn’t collect extra runnings and freeze them in pint jars for the next time you might want to make pretzels that doesn’t line up with your brewing schedule. I would highly recommend doing this if you are brewing a German style and don’t plan on doing another one soon, because these pretzels are delicious and you are going to want some fresh ones when you are drinking that beer.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I tried making bread today but it ended up tasting sour and beer like. I used instant yeast and let it rise the night before in a covered glass bowl. What caused this?

E: It was at room temp, at 22 degrees Celsius, while rising.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 21, 2013

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

I tried making bread today but it ended up tasting sour and beer like. I used instant yeast and let it rise the night before in a covered glass bowl. What caused this?

E: It was at room temp, at 22 degrees Celsius, while rising.

It probably had too long for the yeast to develop and make alcohol, if you're letting it rise overnight you should do it in the fridge to slow the yeast growth.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Tried out pain à l'ancienne. Not too bad of a result, though I should have baked on a preheated stone. I accidentally stretched it out too much for my small-ish pizza stone, so I just put it on a sheet and stuck it in the oven. Still tasty and creamy though.

bread-0014 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

bread-0015 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

bread-0019 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

Fluo
May 25, 2007

They look amazing! and bet they taste it too! :D

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

dakana posted:

Tried out pain à l'ancienne. Not too bad of a result, though I should have baked on a preheated stone. I accidentally stretched it out too much for my small-ish pizza stone, so I just put it on a sheet and stuck it in the oven. Still tasty and creamy though.

bread-0014 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

bread-0015 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

bread-0019 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

Is that Reinhardt's recipe? Following his instructions always left me with elongated, too-skinny "baguettes". (They're not really formed baguettes - you lay out the dough, cut it, stretch it lightly, and that's it. He encourages you to do the minimum amount of handling you can.)

Now, I always divide into fewer loaves than he says, making them a little bigger. And rather dividing the loaves off a square of dough, as he recommends, I form it into a rectangle, and cut stubby loaves off of that. The act of picking them up and transferring them to the baking sheet usually stretches them out into a normal shape.

bonne chance
Dec 2, 2007

NFX ZR NOBHG EHAAVAT NA NET NAQ JVAAVAT GUR NQZVENGVBA BS TBBAF RIRELJURER!
I've been making bread for a while now but I've only just got around to making a sourdough starter. I scored a free copy of Dan Lepard's The Handmade Loaf from work, so followed his method for making a starter. The recipe for this light rye/wholemeal is something I came up with while mucking around in the kitchen.

It's pretty delicious.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bonne chance posted:

I've been making bread for a while now but I've only just got around to making a sourdough starter. I scored a free copy of Dan Lepard's The Handmade Loaf from work, so followed his method for making a starter. The recipe for this light rye/wholemeal is something I came up with while mucking around in the kitchen.

It's pretty delicious.

That looks amazing, and really light for a rye/wholemeal.

bonne chance
Dec 2, 2007

It's 50/25/25 white/rye/wholemeal flour, which is probably why!

I also made the dough before going out, so instead of coming home and trying to bake while drunk, I proofed it slow in the fridge :).

I did have a question though - the flavour is sour, but not really sour. I love sour sourdough, so was wondering... is it just a matter of the starter maturing to get that strong flavour?

Also everyone ever should get an oven thermometer. My crusts have been exponentially better since discovering that my oven runs 20°C colder than the dial indicates.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

bonne chance posted:

It's pretty delicious.

Whats your technique for shaping your bread? I haven't really found one that works for me when it comes to that shape. :negative:

Also they look awesome. :3:

Wholemeal with ground roasted hemp seeds sourdough.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I've made lots of amish white bread since that's what my grandma used to make every drat day, but I recently bought the 5-minute artisan bread book and tried the recipe out.

Ignore the splits and deformed loaves. I finally got the little loaves to not look retarded by slashing deeper, using wetter dough, and letting them rise longer. But one problem remains: I have no color to the crust. What gives?

I tried a tray of hot water + ice cubes. I tried misting the poo poo out of the oven walls. I want that sweet golden crust.

I'm wondering if my oven is just off. It's brand new, I haven't stuck a thermometer in it, the recipe calls for 450 and 30-35 minutes. I'm getting a long preheat before and baking the loaves on a stone.

I also finally got a Cuisinart stand mixer and woah boy I should have gotten one years ago.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Might be TOO moist?
Try doing it with just a little misting or no water at all and see what happens?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I see that there. posted:

Might be TOO moist?
Try doing it with just a little misting or no water at all and see what happens?

They come out even whiter and pastier. The very first batch of these I made I did not mist or anything.

They taste great, they just look old and nasty. Bake longer? Hotter? Cheat by putting a little sugar in the dough or egg wash? Brush water on the tops?

The bottoms have awesome color.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

They come out even whiter and pastier. The very first batch of these I made I did not mist or anything.

They taste great, they just look old and nasty. Bake longer? Hotter? Cheat by putting a little sugar in the dough or egg wash? Brush water on the tops?

I'd try hotter.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I don't know what other people do but generally have it on 250c (max oven temp) for first ten minutes with a roasting tin full of boiling water under it. If its pale after the firs ten minutes turn it down to 200c, if its browning 180c, if its gone very brown turn it down to 170c. Works for me generally. :)

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

wafflesnsegways posted:

Is that Reinhardt's recipe? Following his instructions always left me with elongated, too-skinny "baguettes". (They're not really formed baguettes - you lay out the dough, cut it, stretch it lightly, and that's it. He encourages you to do the minimum amount of handling you can.)

Now, I always divide into fewer loaves than he says, making them a little bigger. And rather dividing the loaves off a square of dough, as he recommends, I form it into a rectangle, and cut stubby loaves off of that. The act of picking them up and transferring them to the baking sheet usually stretches them out into a normal shape.

Yup -- bought Bread Baker's Apprentice and figured I might as well try out what he salivates over to see what it was all about.

I halved the recipe and tried to make 3 baguettes, but the top one stretched out too much when I picked it up, so I chopped that one in half. I'm trying making chubbier pieces this second time; I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Does anyone have a solid recipie that will make me a reasonable amount of yeast donuts for a family?

By weight would be preferred. I've found a few online but they tend to be tremendously large, or by volume.

bonne chance
Dec 2, 2007

Fluo posted:

Whats your technique for shaping your bread? I haven't really found one that works for me when it comes to that shape. :negative:

Also they look awesome. :3:

I press the air out of the dough to form a roughly rectangular shape, then fold the top edge into the centre, and the bottom edge over that. Then I repeat the process with the left and right edges. After that, I keep gathering up the corners of the dough into the centre, pinching to secure them, until the other side of the dough ball seems taut and the whole thing is smooth and spherical. After that, I gently pat it into a more elliptical shape and let it proof, 'seam'-side down, one more time in a (makeshift) couche (I use a baking dish, a floured tea towel, and my salt and pepper shakers) before slashing and baking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

50/50 White/Wholemeal bloomers I made today;