Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Soulex posted:

I need to learn how to shoot. I am great on D but in practice I just embarrass myself.

Finally can do Keepy ups for about 20 seconds now. Lets me feel more confident with first touches. Though the wall training is superior.

Hopefully coach will not think so less of me now :(

If you're having problems shooting, focus on drilling balls against the wall. Step up to it, plant your standing foot next to it in the direction you want the ball to go in, put your laces through the center of the ball, keep your head down and over the ball, follow straight through. Keep doing that over and over and you'll get used to it, then you can start doing it on the move, curling it etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Get good at toe-punting - it'll be your best weapon in the box.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vinestalk posted:

Playing with contacts is frustrating. I wish I were rich enough to afford laser eye surgery.

Playing with glasses is similarly not ideal but in 5 years of playing twice a week I've only had them come off my face maybe half a dozen times and an outright break only once.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Playing with contacts only costs 40€ a year and its usually perfectly fine.
Breaking your glasses is very dangerous and costs a shitload more plus the inconvenience of not having glasses for a couple of days.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Adulterous Hitler posted:

Playing with contacts only costs 40€ a year and its usually perfectly fine.
Breaking your glasses is very dangerous and costs a shitload more plus the inconvenience of not having glasses for a couple of days.

Not to derail but I have looked into trying contact lenses in the past but the cost would have made things unreasonable due to how often my prescription changed. This was 10 years ago mind so things are probably different. I've never been in danger from breaking my 'specs though. It's always the frame breaking in the middle or possibly a leg coming off, never a lenses shattering etc: It's been a long long time since I had to resort to sellotape around the middle though :hehe:

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Playing with glasses on is madness.

In rec leagues, it seems the most common shooting problem by far is keeping it down. At the level everyone in this thread is playing, accuracy counts for more than power. So I'd recommend learning to "pass it into the net" as low and hard as you can rather than fruitlessly ballooning it over the bar.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

CaptainRightful posted:

Playing with glasses on is madness.

In rec leagues, it seems the most common shooting problem by far is keeping it down. At the level everyone in this thread is playing, accuracy counts for more than power. So I'd recommend learning to "pass it into the net" as low and hard as you can rather than fruitlessly ballooning it over the bar.

This x 1000. I score so many more just by passing low to the net than by blasting the ball. Low level keepers are kind of poo poo at getting low, generally.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

CaptainRightful posted:

So I'd recommend learning to "pass it into the net" as low and hard as you can rather than fruitlessly ballooning it over the bar.

:cawg:

Oh wait, our keeper is the one who can't stop anything below his waist :smith:

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

edit: double post

Royality
Jun 27, 2006

CaptainRightful posted:

This is the truth at any level to be honest. Just pass it into the corner.

I pretty severely sprained my ankle playing about 3 months ago and so have been playing in goal whilst my ankle sorts itself out (still being a oval office), and anything hit with any semblance of accuracy along the ground is about 5 times harder to save than a belter at mid-high height. I also recommend any budding striker to spend a couple of games playing in goal to get a sense of the kind of experience a goalie has when facing shots. You'll soon realise that it's very difficult to do anything that's accurately placed, compared with a inaccurate twat.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I played in my frat league in glasses once, had a sick tackle to stop a 1v1 with our keeper and lost my glasses, spent a minute on the ground crawling for them and haven't played in them since.

Though on the other hand I did the 911 challenge at Cluck U before a game and the spice was so hot and still on my fingers I couldn't put my contacts in.

It's a mixed bag really

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I hosed up my ankle again, after more than a year without any real problems. I want to kill myself.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Lazlow posted:

Scored an absolute screamer today. The keeper blocked a shot and the ball came rolling straight out to me where I was lurking just outside the left corner of the area; stepped up, head down, knee over the ball, put my laces straight through that motherfucker, followed through, landed on my shooting foot. Went straight over the keeper's hands and just under the bar, loving rocket of a shot. Amazing what you can do when you keep calm and do what your coaches taught you.

That's the best feeling ever. I hardly ever lace it though, mostly side foot it.

Ramagamma posted:

Picked up a painful ankle injury playing last night. I'd like to say it was from being scythed down while on a mazy run, or busting a gut to run back and put in a tackle. In reality, I panicked just before passing to a player who was rapidly being closed down and managed to kick myself hard enough to cause a bruise. On the plus side, nabbed a hat trick.

That really hurts doesn't it

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Vinestalk posted:

I hosed up my ankle again, after more than a year without any real problems. I want to kill myself.

If your insurance covers it, you should deffo get some lymph drainages.
They dramatically increase the speed of recovery and you'll feel much better during.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
My knee has been feeling weird since I got a knock a few weeks ago. There's no instability or pain, just the feeling that something is slightly wrong. Debating whether to agree to play or not next week. It isn't even swollen.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Alctel posted:

That really hurts doesn't it

Worse than any injury I've had in a few years anyway. It's been a week today and my ankle is still tender to the touch :'(

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Chas McGill posted:

My knee has been feeling weird since I got a knock a few weeks ago. There's no instability or pain, just the feeling that something is slightly wrong. Debating whether to agree to play or not next week. It isn't even swollen.

If it feels weird don't play. Better to miss a week than to cause some real damage.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

Let it heal, don't be like me who still has pain and swelling in their knee from a dislocation and subsequent bone bruise four years later because "no torn ligaments" meant go play as soon as you can chew a handful of anti-inflammatories and run.

I would have been better off having a soft tissue injury, it would have at least forced me to heal.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Shrapnac posted:

Let it heal, don't be like me who still has pain and swelling in their knee from a dislocation and subsequent bone bruise four years later because "no torn ligaments" meant go play as soon as you can chew a handful of anti-inflammatories and run.

I would have been better off having a soft tissue injury, it would have at least forced me to heal.
It was a strange one - just bashed it off another player's knee. Had swelling for about a week, then that disappeared, but the weird feeling remained. I'm worried I haven't been able to let it heal properly because I life on a top floor flat and avoiding stairs etc isn't an option.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Chas McGill posted:

It was a strange one - just bashed it off another player's knee. Had swelling for about a week, then that disappeared, but the weird feeling remained. I'm worried I haven't been able to let it heal properly because I life on a top floor flat and avoiding stairs etc isn't an option.

It's not your job to play football, so sit out the next match.
You don't gently caress around with knee injuries.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I need to get a lot better at first touches. Which is weird because I can deflect pass and poo poo off my knees and have it go where I want it to go. Not so much with my feet.

What's the ruling on tactical fouls? Like, if someone gets past me and gets on a break and its a close game. Should I just reach out and grab the fucker and take a yellow?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Soulex posted:

I need to get a lot better at first touches. Which is weird because I can deflect pass and poo poo off my knees and have it go where I want it to go. Not so much with my feet.

What's the ruling on tactical fouls? Like, if someone gets past me and gets on a break and its a close game. Should I just reach out and grab the fucker and take a yellow?

If you're playing in an important game? Hell yeah take one for the team.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Soulex posted:

Yes, but make sure you actually stop him. No point in getting booked if he goes on to score anyway. Don't scythe him down, mind.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
My opinion on tactical fouls is to do something that has the smallest chance of hurting the person. I've go for obvious shoulder shoves or even pushing most of the time. Clumsy slide tackles or just yanking the guy down by his shirt collar can get you an easy red and hurt the other player.

Of course depending on the ref you have to watch out for you being the last thing between the layer and your keeper. I've seem some really iffy " goal scoring opportunities" result in reds.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

x1000 to the pass into the corner of the net suggestion. Since I started coaching the 13s team I've got to do this rather than blasting away the average goals per game has gone from 1 to 4. If the keeper isn't in the upper divisions there's no chance in hell they'll consistently save those shots.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
If you blatantly grab a player that's beaten you and he's on his way to a 1v1 with the keeper it's a red card.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Chas McGill posted:

Yes, but make sure you actually stop him. No point in getting booked if he goes on to score anyway. Don't scythe him down, mind.

Make it very obvious that's what you're doing, too, grab his jersey or arm and don't let go until the ref blows the whistle. Wouldn't hurt to raise your hand to acknowledge it to the ref (and the player) either. The player will probably be pissed but a good ref should know what you're doing.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

Of course depending on the ref you have to watch out for you being the last thing between the layer and your keeper. I've seem some really iffy " goal scoring opportunities" result in reds.

otoh I've gambled and taken out a player through on goal guessing that the ref wouldn't dare to give a red within five minutes.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Lazlow posted:

Make it very obvious that's what you're doing, too, grab his jersey or arm and don't let go until the ref blows the whistle. Wouldn't hurt to raise your hand to acknowledge it to the ref (and the player) either. The player will probably be pissed but a good ref should know what you're doing.

No. I'd do essentially this. I don't play too dirty because playing is fun. Not grabbing him by the collar but latching on really so he can't beat me further.

Something I do is when someone does a one two right past me I kind of stick out my rear end a little as I turn around to make them interrupt their stride and give me a chance to cover them easier. Sometimes it clips them and on one occasion knocked the wind right out of someone.

I play in the lowest level of German leagues right now, and these guys play rough. Took an el ow to the gut and a cheeky spike from on attacker who was miffed tht I wouldn't give him an inch of space while the refs back was turned.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
Got some bad news yesterday when we showed up to our first league game.

There are three different 8 on 8 co-ed leagues that play the nicest fields we have in Midtown, Atlanta.

Turns out we may have chosen the wrong one for the spring season. The league organizer seems to think it's ok that his "league" only has has us and ONE OTHER team.

The other leagues have six to eight teams in them, and are already underway, so we can't switch.

On the other hand, we beat the pants off the Free Agent team that showed up, it was like 6-1.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Gigi Galli posted:

My opinion on tactical fouls is to do something that has the smallest chance of hurting the person. I've go for obvious shoulder shoves or even pushing most of the time. Clumsy slide tackles or just yanking the guy down by his shirt collar can get you an easy red and hurt the other player.

We were playing some private school when I was in HS and they had a really fast kid. I was the last defender and he was able to just knock is by my so I just said gently caress it considering we were 4-1 down and grabbed the back of his shirt and held him and somehow the ref didn't even see it.

I don't mean like, pulled on it, I mean I stopped running and just held his shirt so he couldn't run.

HS soccer was great for this reason. Also you could stand on the keeper's feet during corners and nobody would notice or bother calling it

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Turns out I damaged the tendon around my kneecap. It isn't as long-term bad as ligament damage, but it'll take a while to heal before I can play again - doc said wait another couple of weeks at the least before I use my knee in anger. It's shite because we're finally getting some nice weather and I should be out running around.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 2, 2013

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

tbp posted:

HS soccer was great for this reason. Also you could stand on the keeper's feet during corners and nobody would notice or bother calling it

I remember those days. It was a good way to get my studs in the back of your knees.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Because of overlapping seasons, I ended up playing 3 matches yesterday. I don't recommend this.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I've done 2 and it felt like being smashed by a truck. Couldn't imagine 3

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So it's the end of our season and I finally got to start and more or less play a full game. I noticed I can't play for poo poo in rain. Do SG cleats help out more? Also what can I do to get used to playing in te muck. Like how the ball moves and poo poo.

I got my first dirty foul too. Someone stole the ball from me and if he got passed he would have gone 1 on 1. Blasted him in the shins.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 26, 2013

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

The new 6-a-side season kicked off and I really need to brush up on my fitness/footwork/positioning/everything...

If you were going to try and get some extra training where would you go? Just ring around local teams and ask to join in on some training?

Or would I need to get a private tutor or something?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Thirteenth Step posted:

The new 6-a-side season kicked off and I really need to brush up on my fitness/footwork/positioning/everything...

If you were going to try and get some extra training where would you go? Just ring around local teams and ask to join in on some training?

I'll train you.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Thirteenth Step posted:

Go run hill sprints til you throw up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Thirteenth Step posted:

Find a wall, kick a ball against it for hours. Then go run hill sprints until you throw up.