Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

m2pt5 posted:

Is there a way to back up your extensions that's not FEBE? I believe I'm going to need to reset my profile soon and I don't want to have to go dig up all my extensions again, and while it appears to, FEBE refuses to install.

Did you try the (not yet approved) 7.3.0 version of FEBE available here? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/febe/versions/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I've just come back to using Firefox on my Mac after years of Safari/Chrome. I used to use a series of themes called 'GrApple' to make Firefox look nicer and more like a native OS X app. Those have long since been discontinued, but someone on deviantART has picked up the torch and has a forked version with the unforunate name of CrApple that works with Firefox 20.0.1:

http://larzon83.deviantart.com/art/CrApple-Yummy-1-2-0b-BETA-212515458

I've been using it for a few days now and it's very well done and basically just makes Firefox look very similar to Safari. I thought other Mac/Firefox users might like it. It also prompted me to learn how to put Firefox's tabs back below the bookmark bar. :science:

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Avenging Dentist posted:

You should be able to get at all of your extensions from your profile folder, and the old one is helpfully copied to your desktop when you run Reset Firefox:

That said, I didn't actually try this to confirm it.

This happens, I can confirm it
It's a good way to recover extensions that aren't actively being developed anymore, like Mouse Gestures Redox :smith:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Dice Dice Baby posted:

It's a good way to recover extensions that aren't actively being developed anymore, like Mouse Gestures Redox :smith:

If you like Mouse Gestures Redox, you might like All-in-One Gestures, which I think has the same ancestor as Redox. I haven't tried it yet, though, so maybe it's a piece of poo poo!! EDIT: Tried it, it totally is!

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 26, 2013

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Parker Lewis posted:

I've just come back to using Firefox on my Mac after years of Safari/Chrome. I used to use a series of themes called 'GrApple' to make Firefox look nicer and more like a native OS X app. Those have long since been discontinued, but someone on deviantART has picked up the torch and has a forked version with the unforunate name of CrApple that works with Firefox 20.0.1:

http://larzon83.deviantart.com/art/CrApple-Yummy-1-2-0b-BETA-212515458

I've been using it for a few days now and it's very well done and basically just makes Firefox look very similar to Safari. I thought other Mac/Firefox users might like it. It also prompted me to learn how to put Firefox's tabs back below the bookmark bar. :science:

I hate Mac-ripoff themes with a passion.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Well that wasn't really necessary. He's on a Mac. Just wants it to look a bit more native. Nothing wrong with that.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Did you try the (not yet approved) 7.3.0 version of FEBE available here? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/febe/versions/

It does the same thing when I try to install it - the "do you want to install this" window pops up, when I click "allow" Firefox seizes up for a few seconds, then the "FEBE was installed" balloon appears with no prompt to restart, and restarting manually doesn't make it appear in the menus.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

If you like Mouse Gestures Redox, you might like All-in-One Gestures, which I think has the same ancestor as Redox. I haven't tried it yet, though, so maybe it's a piece of poo poo!! EDIT: Tried it, it totally is!

Yeah, none of the gestures addons I've found are particularly robust or well designed. All-in-one gets the essentials done, though.

I always had the impression firefox had the most advanced & active extension community, but in a few areas it's surprisingly far behind chrome. Some of that can probably be blamed on API (anything having to do with notifications, sophisticated dropdown windows, etc.) but you'd think FF would have basic stuff like gestures well figured out by now. Have a lot of extension developers left the scene in recent years or something?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Yeah, none of the gestures addons I've found are particularly robust or well designed. All-in-one gets the essentials done, though.

I always had the impression firefox had the most advanced & active extension community, but in a few areas it's surprisingly far behind chrome. Some of that can probably be blamed on API (anything having to do with notifications, sophisticated dropdown windows, etc.) but you'd think FF would have basic stuff like gestures well figured out by now. Have a lot of extension developers left the scene in recent years or something?

I use FireGestures and it works well.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/firegestures/

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

My main issue with FireGestures is the anemic support for rocker gestures (and the lack of diagonal gestures). Someone also issued a pull request to improve rocker gestures, but the developer wasn't very responsive.

One of these days I'm just going to write my own gesture add-on and make it not suck.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013
So how are the Firefox web dev tools shaping up?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Winter is Cuming posted:

So how are the Firefox web dev tools shaping up?
In 20.x, I was very pleasantly surprised that they have moved into the realm of "usable", however they're firmly behind Chrome and Safari's developer console(s). There still isn't any mechanism to view stored cookies from that site, nor inspect localStorage (and a number of other things).

Regardless, if they keep the pace up, it'll be not long now before they finally have a good set of developer tools better than (IMO, klunky) Firebug.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
The Responsive view is very nice (CTRL + Shift + M), too

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Sergeant Rock posted:

The Responsive view is very nice (CTRL + Shift + M), too

I had no idea this existed, thank you.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Anyone know of a good boss key addon? "HideTab" is the only one I could find that works like it should (just hides tabs, doesn't close them, so they're easy to restore): https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/hidetab/?src=search

Unfortunately it also adds a bunch of ugly, unnecessary context menu entries that can't be disabled in the extension options, and the only context menu editor extension I could find appears to be outdated & broken :unsmigghh:

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Anyone know of a good boss key addon? "HideTab" is the only one I could find that works like it should (just hides tabs, doesn't close them, so they're easy to restore): https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/hidetab/?src=search

Unfortunately it also adds a bunch of ugly, unnecessary context menu entries that can't be disabled in the extension options, and the only context menu editor extension I could find appears to be outdated & broken :unsmigghh:

You can use Ctrl + 'tilde' to switch tab groups ;)

You could use a shortcut manager instead

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Dice Dice Baby posted:

You can use Ctrl + 'tilde' to switch tab groups ;)

You could use a shortcut manager instead

This WOULD be ideal, except FF apparently won't let me save a tab group for later, so I'd have to set up a new group to switch to in each new browser session.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Pretty sure there's a way to disable context menu items with UserChrome.css - check online for a guide. I know it works for stock menu items but I'm not sure how you'd do it for an extension's.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Gerudo Rivera posted:

This WOULD be ideal, except FF apparently won't let me save a tab group for later, so I'd have to set up a new group to switch to in each new browser session.

It does if you restore the session.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

fivre posted:

It does if you restore the session.

True enough. This will do for now, thanks for the tips :)

I looked into manually editing the menu in userchrome, but it looks too touchy & inconsistent to be worth the effort. Hopefully somebody will update the menu editor extension at some point.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Buff Skeleton posted:

Pretty sure there's a way to disable context menu items with UserChrome.css - check online for a guide. I know it works for stock menu items but I'm not sure how you'd do it for an extension's.
Menu Editor no good?

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

All the comments say it's busted six ways from sunday

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Gerudo Rivera posted:

All the comments say it's busted six ways from sunday

I installed the HideTab extension and checked.
Menu Editor good. Menu Editor very good. Unchecking those bottom 3 and applying immediately removed the context menu items.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Hogburto posted:

I installed the HideTab extension and checked.
Menu Editor good. Menu Editor very good. Unchecking those bottom 3 and applying immediately removed the context menu items.

Thanks for trying it out. Seems to be working fine for me too, so far.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I use Menu Editor on my FF install (newest stable) and it seems to work fine. I mean I don't do anything too intense with it, but it hasn't failed me yet.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
I'm having trouble with Flash after updating it, 11 made any site with flash crash firefox. So I uninstall it and downgrade back to 10.3, but now simply having flash enabled makes webpages load very slowly. I've tried restarting several times and now I'm not quite sure what to do.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I'm having trouble with Flash after updating it, 11 made any site with flash crash firefox. So I uninstall it and downgrade back to 10.3, but now simply having flash enabled makes webpages load very slowly. I've tried restarting several times and now I'm not quite sure what to do.

try the beta?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

For those of you who care about that sort of thing, Windows (Vista+) nightlies have hardware-accelerated h.264 video now: http://blog.pearce.org.nz/2013/05/hardware-accelerated-h264-decoding.html

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

~60 extensions & 2 weeks of tinkering later, FF is working close to the way I want. Even with all those extensions, it still runs smoother, more consistently, and with less memory than a similarly-customized Chrome, and easily excels in terms of functionality, UI usability & tab capacity. I get the sense this hasn't always been the case, but whatever Mozilla's been up to under the hood for the past few months, they should keep doing it.

That said, about half of those ~60 extensions are simple tweaks to how certain components of the browser work, without adding new functionality. I understand the current development zeitgeist is to cut down on built-in customization/feature creep and let the addon community sort it out. But having tried Firefox and Chrome in a number of common use cases, I have to question that approach when the default configurations are so inadequate. And more often than not, kind of lovely.

Shouldn't someone be able to select where new tabs open (right of the current tab, OF COURSE) without having to track down an addon? Or customize common keyboard shortcuts/gestures? Or hide the loving X buttons that appear on every single tab? (Chrome won't even let extensions do that last one.) I don't feel like these are bloat, or "power user" requests. Most are basic usability concerns & conveniences.

Year after year, features on cars that used to be "high end" (ABS, AC, power windows, GPS) have become standard. These browsers seem to be racing in the opposite direction. Instead of finding ways to naturally incorporate new functions without adding dozens of new toolbar buttons & slowing everything to a crawl, they're offering barebones frames & engines and expecting everyone to just plug the extra bits they want into the cigarette lighter. stop.

this is the part where i get one of those sick flashing "i'm MAD about web browsers!!" avatars, right

Gerudo Rivera fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 8, 2013

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Good points, I agree. I'm scared of the future, because it seems we've hit a peak some years ago, and developers are now on a high horse on making software as tablet-friendly (gently caress tablets) and barebones as possible, cutting off configuration and customization, aiming just for the install and go users. Microsoft has been the traditional, undisputed king of offering next to no configuration, and it was great how in the 00's, alternatives came by like FF came by. Google has always walked on both sides, but lately, they've made truly terrible design decisions in things like GMail, and they are inconsistent about Chrome - some features are apparently bloat and some aren't. Google doesn't really seem like our friends in this manner. I just can't help but think "assholes!" when a perfectly fine option or feature is removed without a word.

Particularly the lack of tab configuration is a good example. Anything the developers might say about such as thing as tab customization being bloat makes no sense, because it's purely a configuration issue, otherwise it wouldn't be possible for an extension to change it.

PS: 60 extensions. :monocle:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Shouldn't someone be able to select where new tabs open (right of the current tab, OF COURSE) without having to track down an addon?

Isn't that what Firefox does by default? (Check the pref "browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent" and make sure it's true).

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Or hide the loving X buttons that appear on every single tab?

Set "browser.tabs.closeButtons" to one of the following: 0 (close button on active tab only), 1 (close button on all tabs), 2 (no close buttons), or 3 (a single close button at the end of the tab bar).

Gerudo Rivera posted:

I don't feel like these are bloat, or "power user" requests. Most are basic usability concerns & conveniences.

Which is why the majority have hidden prefs.

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Year after year, features on cars that used to be "high end" (ABS, AC, power windows, GPS) have become standard. These browsers seem to be racing in the opposite direction. Instead of finding ways to naturally incorporate new functions without adding dozens of new toolbar buttons & slowing everything to a crawl, they're offering barebones frames & engines and expecting everyone to just plug the extra bits they want into the cigarette lighter. stop.

This is a bad analogy. You'll note that what car manufacturers are doing is adding often-used features to all their product lines. But that's not what you're complaining about with browsers; you want the options to tweak your browser in whichever way you like best. Auto manufacturers don't do that either. Don't want ABS? Too bad, you're getting it.

There are plenty of things being added to browsers (most obviously in terms of HTML support), but no, there aren't a lot more options being added because no one does that. Doing so adds a maintenance/testing burden onto developers (or automotive engineers) that just slows down their ability to add things that are useful to the majority.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Avenging Dentist posted:

Isn't that what Firefox does by default? (Check the pref "browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent" and make sure it's true).

I've been looking for this setting for a long time but didn't know how to describe it.

Thanks!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Shouldn't someone be able to select where new tabs open (right of the current tab, OF COURSE) without having to track down an addon? Or customize common keyboard shortcuts/gestures? Or hide the loving X buttons that appear on every single tab?

All of these should be changeable in about :config actually. Maybe not the shortcut customization thing (I'm not sure what you're actually asking about there) but the rest you didn't need an addon for.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Avenging Dentist posted:

There are plenty of things being added to browsers (most obviously in terms of HTML support), but no, there aren't a lot more options being added because no one does that. Doing so adds a maintenance/testing burden onto developers (or automotive engineers) that just slows down their ability to add things that are useful to the majority.
Well, what is the point of Firefox? It's free and made by a non-profit organization, as far as I can gather. There are no ads and no real point to it other than open source pride. I don't see why the Mozilla devs should be happy that Grandma now thinks that Firefox out of the box feels as simple as IE. Everything causes more work for the developers, so that point doesn't hold water.

Imagine if FF had zero configuration and was just as the devs decided. It would be unusable for me and pretty much anyone who used FF from back in the old days, like version 3 and such; us who appreciate the configuration ability and extension framework. If they slash those dozens of small configuration options, it adds up to a lot. What would you say if FF cut support for extensions, because the majority probably don't use extensions anyway?

Note that I'm not angry yet, I think FF is great, but the future looks grim.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

I wasn't aware of many of those flags, thanks. Seems like some of them are basic enough that they wouldn't be out of place in the "advanced options" tab instead, though, so people don't have to go digging for them.

The examples in that analogy aren't great, but there ARE a number of extensions with features that really ought to come standard, in some form or other. Session Manager, Thumbnail Zoom, NextPlease, Tab Preview, and RemoveTabs, just to name a few.

edit:

Avenging Dentist posted:

Looks like this only affects tabs opened from middle clicking on links (or rightclick | "open link in new tab"). New tabs opened from the tab bar button or from external programs still open in the far right, which I find distracting to workflow, but maybe i'm just picky (ahaha, "maybe")

Gerudo Rivera fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 8, 2013

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Pilsner posted:

Well, what is the point of Firefox? It's free and made by a non-profit organization, as far as I can gather. There are no ads and no real point to it other than open source pride. I don't see why the Mozilla devs should be happy that Grandma now thinks that Firefox out of the box feels as simple as IE. Everything causes more work for the developers, so that point doesn't hold water.

Not everything makes the same amount of work. Improving a given feature (and not adding a bunch of settings to tweak it) is less work than adding (or keeping) a bunch of options. Every configuration option adds complexity to the testing matrix (you have to ensure that combinations of options don't cause breakage), and requires devs to keep those options in mind every time they want to improve something in that area. Mozilla (or any other company) doesn't have infinite resources, and the time spent to maintain little-used options is time taken away from work on more widely-used areas.

Pilsner posted:

What would you say if FF cut support for extensions, because the majority probably don't use extensions anyway?

85% of people use add-ons in Firefox: https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2011/06/21/firefox-4-add-on-users/

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pilsner posted:

The mozilla foundation makes money from the use of firefox, mainly via google search kickbacks. The more people that use it, the more they can afford to employ their coders and administration. So yes, they are happy that grandma can use firefox, especially since grandma is more likely to stick to the out of the box homepage that gives them money.

If you're the type of ubernerd who's been using firefox since it was called phoenix, you are supposed to know about about :config. Your issue of knowing enough to :spergin: about missing options, but not enough to look at the documentation, is unfortunate but not one of their priorities.

Since it's open source, I could fork it to make Firefox: Pilsner Edition just for you. You'd have to hire me though.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

Not everything makes the same amount of work. Improving a given feature (and not adding a bunch of settings to tweak it) is less work than adding (or keeping) a bunch of options. Every configuration option adds complexity to the testing matrix (you have to ensure that combinations of options don't cause breakage), and requires devs to keep those options in mind every time they want to improve something in that area. Mozilla (or any other company) doesn't have infinite resources, and the time spent to maintain little-used options is time taken away from work on more widely-used areas.

I mostly agree with what you're saying here. I guess I'm just hoping for a little more consistency of vision. For example, FF added the tab group "panorama view" feature a while back, which had the potential to be really handy. But because you couldn't save those tab groups across sessions, it was rendered virtually useless- so very few users took advantage of it. Now they're talking about phasing it out due to underuse, instead of making a relatively simple, widely-requested change that would actually make the feature effective. Sure, they don't have infinite resources, but shouldn't they at least try to make the resources they've already used worthwhile, instead of just giving up on them?

Anyway, the griping is overblown, because I was able to make FF work the way I want, even though it took a lot of tinkering. I just don't want to see it go the way of Chrome, where a third of what I was able to do in FF is deliberately prevented by the API.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Tab Groups save across sessions just fine though? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

Tab Groups save across sessions just fine though? :confused:

If you close a browser session, and start a new one, any tab groups created in the previous session will be gone.