Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah I'd think that Syl was first attached to Kaladin when he turned down the Shards for honor's sake.

Syl was around before then. She was playing tricks on him before the last flashback battle. The theory is she was attracted to him because he saved scrawny and weak soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Kaladin definitely used surgebinding before he arrived at the Shattered Plains. From the first chapter: "For a moment, Cenn thought he could see something surrounding the squadleader. A warping of air, like the wknd itself had become visible."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah actually now that I think about it, it seems pretty obvious given his longstanding reputation for being lucky and all.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Wondering at all the spoilers for a 3 year old book reminded me to remind everyone you can still get the ebook of Way of Kings for $2.99, at least for the Kindle and Nook (likely all others as well). And Tor doesn't DRM their books anymore.

Also, if you pick up the Kindle version http://amzn.com/B003P2WO5E then it looks it's a Whispersync audiobook as well, and if you buy the Kindle version they'll offer you the Audible.com audiobook for $7.99. 45 and a half hours of audio with the same narrators as do the Wheel of Time Audiobooks. And the Whispersync means it'll keep your position constant and you can switch between reading on the kindle and listening on the app and stay in the same place.

(Think it's $7.99 at least; that's what it's offering it to me as, but I already had it in my Audible library. When I'm not logged in to Amazon/Audible, it's $47.95.)

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
That whole whispersync thing is actually what got me to sign up for a free Audible account in the first place... but for some reason I just don't like the female narrator as much as the main one :geno:

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

That whole whispersync thing is actually what got me to sign up for a free Audible account in the first place... but for some reason I just don't like the female narrator as much as the main one :geno:

Kate Reading? I felt the same for the entire WOT series but I like Michael Kramer to much so I just end up dealing with it. It did make me hate most of the female characters though.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
I might have to make time for a re-read of WoK but I might have to hold off as I just started the Malazan series but I'll definitely read it before the second book comes out. I think enough time will have passed and I look forward to picking up some of the stuff people have been chatting about here. Of course the re-read will make me wish the next book was all about Dalinar, dude is boss.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thecallahan posted:

I might have to make time for a re-read of WoK but I might have to hold off as I just started the Malazan series but I'll definitely read it before the second book comes out. I think enough time will have passed and I look forward to picking up some of the stuff people have been chatting about here. Of course the re-read will make me wish the next book was all about Dalinar, dude is boss.

Yeah, looks like the next book is focused on one of the girls. Either Shallan or Jasnah, I forget which. (Probably Shallan).

I'm still pissed he ditched The Book of Endless Pages as the name, because it was perfect. It's too bad he didn't like the irony implied there, because the book is gonna be huge.

Words of Radiance isn't nearly as good a title, in my opinion..

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm still pissed he ditched The Book of Endless Pages as the name, because it was perfect. It's too bad he didn't like the irony implied there, because the book is gonna be huge.

When I saw Brandon at a signing, he said he really liked "Book of Endless Pages", but his editors and publishers really didn't appreciate the irony.

Apparently it's a bad thing when everyone's first reaction is to laugh at your title.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Tunicate posted:

Apparently it's a bad thing when everyone's first reaction is to laugh at your title.

Counterpoint: I Am America, And So Can You

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah actually now that I think about it, it seems pretty obvious given his longstanding reputation for being lucky and all.

SO he's not Kelsier, he's Vin.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Forget about another reread for a while, I just started to read TWOT series

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

The Glumslinger posted:

Forget about another reread for a while, I just started to read TWOT series

Heh, so did I. I'm up to book 9, and I don't think I'll be done by the time Rithmatist hits. The first two books were good, if pretty formulaic, but three was excellent, and the pressure never lets up after that.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Jorenko posted:

Heh, so did I. I'm up to book 9, and I don't think I'll be done by the time Rithmatist hits. The first two books were good, if pretty formulaic, but three was excellent, and the pressure never lets up after that.

Book 9 & book 10 (Crossroads of Twilight) are considered by many to be the weakest of the WoT books, mostly because there are so many characters and subplots and one subplot in particular just goes on and on never seeming to end. But persevere, Book 11 Knife of Dreams is awesome (and the last book by Jordan before you hit Brandon's work).

Think most of us old-time WoT fans are mostly grumpy about those two because we had to wait years between books. Crossroads actually isn't too bad if you just think of it as the first half of Knife of Dreams and can move directly in to it.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

fordan posted:

Book 9 & book 10 (Crossroads of Twilight) are considered by many to be the weakest of the WoT books, mostly because there are so many characters and subplots and one subplot in particular just goes on and on never seeming to end. But persevere, Book 11 Knife of Dreams is awesome (and the last book by Jordan before you hit Brandon's work).

Think most of us old-time WoT fans are mostly grumpy about those two because we had to wait years between books. Crossroads actually isn't too bad if you just think of it as the first half of Knife of Dreams and can move directly in to it.

People say the whole "move directly on" thing all the time, but book 10 is still pretty bad. For as many plots and subplots going on in the world, it was amazing that book could contain so little story movement - it's almost like he actively avoided progressing anyone's plot-line.

Hopefully Sanderson takes the lesson to heart and Stormlight doesn't fall into the same trap.

As far as readers go, Kate Reading is fine to me. The only reader I've really had trouble with is Ralph Lister, the narrator for Malazan Book 1. For some reason I just have trouble following the book/narrator. On a 6 hour trip where I vowed to try and listen to it, I couldn't get past the first hour or two without my mind wandering and losing track of the reading. I'm not sure if a different reader would help or not, but it's the only book where I've just not been able to listen to it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

subx posted:

People say the whole "move directly on" thing all the time, but book 10 is still pretty bad. For as many plots and subplots going on in the world, it was amazing that book could contain so little story movement - it's almost like he actively avoided progressing anyone's plot-line.

He did, if I'm remembering right. I think he admitted it was an attempt on his part to do something different and it failed badly.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

subx posted:

The only reader I've really had trouble with is Ralph Lister, the narrator for Malazan Book 1. For some reason I just have trouble following the book/narrator. On a 6 hour trip where I vowed to try and listen to it, I couldn't get past the first hour or two without my mind wandering and losing track of the reading. I'm not sure if a different reader would help or not, but it's the only book where I've just not been able to listen to it.

Have you tried reading the actual book? The problem might not be with the reader, but with Erikson's approach to writing: he assumes you've read all ten books at the start of the series. So there are references tossed around that you'll have no clue about until much later.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Grundulum posted:

Have you tried reading the actual book? The problem might not be with the reader, but with Erikson's approach to writing: he assumes you've read all ten books at the start of the series. So there are references tossed around that you'll have no clue about until much later.

No not yet, I was hoping to get to it this summer. It's possible that style of writing is just really terrible for audio.

The Lashing mechanic's part of Way of Kings suffered from something like that. It was really hard to make it interesting in audio form, but I didn't find it too bad in text since you could skim the repetitive parts. Similar to when you have some big goofy long name or something, in text you can give them a nickname, but in audio they have to read the full name every time.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

subx posted:

Similar to when you have some big goofy long name or something, in text you can give them a nickname, but in audio they have to read the full name every time.

Oh man, that reminds me of listening to one of the discworld audio books. I seriously had to take off my headphones once or twice.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

subx posted:

The only reader I've really had trouble with is Ralph Lister, the narrator for Malazan Book 1.

Its odd that you say that, I was upset to find out that Ralph Lister wont be finishing the series, he did the first 3 books and Michael Kramer will be finishing the series.

Now I have no issue with Michael and he was one of the first narrators I ever listened to (WOT) but I hate when the narrator is changed half way through a series.

I also think it might be the books and not the narrator, while everyone has different tastes I felt that Ralph Lister was one of the best narrators I have ever listened too and I have over 300 audiobooks in my audible library.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Tunicate posted:

But if you want a sneak preview, you can watch Sanderson write the first draft on youtube

If I didn't know it's been time lapsed, based on his publishing schedule I'd think that's his actual typing speed.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

treeboy posted:

If I didn't know it's been time lapsed, based on his publishing schedule I'd think that's his actual typing speed.

Dear lord no! That's 10x slow motion! :v:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

treeboy posted:

He currently averages 2500 words a day, according to the AMA. Sometimes up to 3500.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That is an incredible output. I didn't think anybody could manage that kind of word count on a long term basis. But he is a machine.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Uhhhhhhhh... I just finished Way of Kings. Is it loving November yet?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Uhhhhhhhh... I just finished Way of Kings. Is it loving November yet?

Next book is 70% completed, I put a link to the 'watch Sanderson write' youtube channel a little upthread. There are some pretty big revelations about Stormlight II in them.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Tunicate posted:

Next book is 70% completed, I put a link to the 'watch Sanderson write' youtube channel a little upthread. There are some pretty big revelations about Stormlight II in them.

Anything you feel comfortable putting in tags?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

404GoonNotFound posted:

Anything you feel comfortable putting in tags?

Ack, sorry, I thought the channel also had this other chapter reading (Second half is here), but somebody else put that on youtube. It's a Parshendi PoV, and gets rid of a lot of their mysteriousness.

The Rysn interlude (which was being livewritten) doesn't actually rock the boat as far as I can tell. Sorry again for messing up.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
So a Stormlight question.

How much info do we have on the Knight Radiant orders, particularly what Essences and Spren they are associated with and how that relates to Surgebinding? Which symbols go to which Essence?

I mean we know Honorspren are for Windrunners(and based on various peripheral evidence I can make a guess that it's based on Lucentia and Zephyr), and whatever Shallan is seems to use Blood(based on an admittedly small sample size of 1) and the symbolheads seem likely to be Truthspren. Jasnah seems to be some variation, based on what she said, she'd share one Essence with Shallan(whichever allows Soulcasting, Spark?), but has a different order.

And as an aside, how many moons does Roshar have and what do they look like?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Last night, I decided to start re-reading Way of Kings and I got so hooked that when I finally closed the book it was 5AM and I had to get up for work at 8...

Sanderson! :argh:

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Is it ever explained why Syl dislikes Shard Blades? She gets upset about them in one scene, but I don't recall finding out why. I assume we find out later.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Just finished my first reading of WoK and I'm pretty sure that is just foreshadowing something that will be revealed in a later book.

I like Sanderson, I really do, but he isn't much of a writer. His dialog is so stiff, especially for the characters who are supposed to be witty. Whenever Shallan made a joke I wanted to throttle her. Being intentionally obtuse isn't comedy, it's the worst part of dealing with 8 year olds.
That said I honestly can't think of a writer in any genre or medium who is better at plotting than Sanderson. The way he combines the disparate elements of a work into a climax is truly impressive. This is true for the conclusion to the Mistborn series too, I loved that conclusion. The Apex of Way of Kings may have been even better I was waiting for Kaladin and Dalinar to meet for the latter half of the book and felt so stupid for wanting him to jump the gun once I saw the Tower scene on the horizon.
Overall I guess the worst thing about this book was that it hooked at the very beginning of a long series. Book ten is going to be a while...

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Well he's also bifurcating the series, so the first five books should have a solid arc. Then I think he's planning to do a second Mistborn trilogy and then more Stormlight (all with other books in-between, of course).

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

So I've been reading Elantris and it's kind of slow and boring. I know it's his first book so it won't be perfect, but please tell me that there's still a decent avalanche once I get in far enough.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

quiggy posted:

So I've been reading Elantris and it's kind of slow and boring. I know it's his first book so it won't be perfect, but please tell me that there's still a decent avalanche once I get in far enough.
I found it pretty interesting overall. What part are you at? It almost definitely gets better.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Krakkles posted:

I found it pretty interesting overall. What part are you at? It almost definitely gets better.

I'm still fairly early, in the page 150-200 region. Lots of Hrathen being an emotionless prick, maybe fifty pages past Sarene's /r/atheism shitthatdidnthappen.txt moment. Just learned that Hrathen has a Seon in a metal box.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Elantris is fairly not good, tbh. If you don't care about any of the characters now, you probably aren't going to enjoy the rest of the book. The "avalanche" isn't especially great, and it comes extremely late in the book.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
It's a part of the shardverse (and on the same planet as the excellent The Emperor's Soul) so just slog through. DO IT.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Cicero posted:

It's a part of the shardverse (and on the same planet as the excellent The Emperor's Soul) so just slog through. DO IT.

Everything I said, but also this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

quiggy posted:

I liked it, but I personally found the mystery of "why did the power go away" to be sufficiently captivating, along with the whole "guy tortured about his faith" angle.