Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

The :retrogames: Gods have punished me for my hubris. I haven't replaced the batteries in any of my N64 controller paks because they've been working okay. Then today my copy of Doom 64 finally came, and after playing for about 5 minutes, the screen went black and it started back up saying "no controller pak inserted". And it's happening now with all four of the ones I have. :( I almost think something is wrong with my console or controller for all four of them to not work now, but I guess I get to buy a bunch of CR2032s and see what happens. At least the old batteries just pop right out of a holder inside or I'd be pissed at having to do all that soldering.

edit: Put in Perfect Dark. Two of my cards worked after doing the little repair thing the game lets you try. Now Doom 64 works fine with those two, but it still went black and restarted at one point, but the card still worked. Argh N64, why you gotta be so finicky!? :argh: I have a big box of games for you coming tomorrow, you better behave!

Maybe try cleaning slot in the controller itself. I had issues with several transfer paks not working in a controller and finally cleaned it out the way I do a cartridge slot and it's working much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
That Sakura Wars collectors edition is awesome.

I got my Saturn in high school a few weeks before I had my first girlfriend so it didn't get nearly the love it should have. The retro gods are punishing me for it now though since some of the games I'm looking for are so expensive (Bomberman, Mega Man). Oh well. She is long gone but the Saturn is still here!

I just acquired this.

I've never played any Saturn light gun games so I'm looking forward to it.

Edit: My bad on the wrong img tag. That's what I get for posting from my phone and not previewing.

funkymonks fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 25, 2013

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Japanese games from Acid Police, My copy of Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius came in the mail today, along with Heiankyo Alien.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
^^ awesome! everyone is getting my old games today ^^

The Virtua Cop box is bigger than a Saturn itself :psyduck:

Please play Death Crimson if you haven't yet though...

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if taking the gold option will affect the serial # for my everdrive cart...

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

overdriveGTO posted:

That Sakura Wars collectors edition is awesome.

I got my Saturn in high school a few weeks before I had my first girlfriend so it didn't get nearly the love it should have. The retro gods are punishing me for it now though since some of the games I'm looking for are so expensive (Bomberman, Mega Man). Oh well. She is long gone but the Saturn is still here!

I just acquired this.

I've never played any Saturn light gun games so I'm looking forward to it.

Holy spamoli dat mah tables :psyduck:

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

Holy spamoli dat mah tables :psyduck:

Go big or go home. Big boxes, big pixels, big :retrogames:, and big pictures!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Antillese posted:

Go big or go home. Big boxes, big pixels, big :retrogames:, and big pictures!

I LOVE IT

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
No more [timg] in 2013, we break tables err day

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

StellarX posted:

Maybe try cleaning slot in the controller itself. I had issues with several transfer paks not working in a controller and finally cleaned it out the way I do a cartridge slot and it's working much better.

I cleaned it out, didn't really see any dirt or dust or anything on the cloth I used, we'll see how it holds up. Doom 64 is working fine so far now but I'll pick up some CR2032s hopefully today and relace the batteries anyway, wouldn'r hurt.

edit: You people and your Saturns! :arghfist::saddowns: I'm going to end up with one some time this year if you all don't cut that out. So many weird Japanese games on there that I want. And the SHOOTERS. So many shooters.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 25, 2013

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

ACID POLICE posted:

Please play Death Crimson if you haven't yet though...

Or sell your copy to me. :unsmigghh:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I found a box containing a black and a blue game gear and I have no idea what games are good for the system. I've heard of the Panzer Dragoon game, but no clue of US game gears are region protected. They both came with the big backpack battery and one also had the big magnifying glass screen protector as well so it looks like I'm all set in terms of not needing a billion AAs.

Also another portable question, are the Gameboys from Original to Gameboy color region protected at all? Because I'd like to get some of the Japanese games for them.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

WendigoJohnson posted:

So I found a box containing a black and a blue game gear and I have no idea what games are good for the system. I've heard of the Panzer Dragoon game, but no clue of US game gears are region protected. They both came with the big backpack battery and one also had the big magnifying glass screen protector as well so it looks like I'm all set in terms of not needing a billion AAs.

Also another portable question, are the Gameboys from Original to Gameboy color region protected at all? Because I'd like to get some of the Japanese games for them.

Game Boys/Color are not region protected. That practice didn't begin until the DSi and DSi games.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Nope. My GBC plays PAL and Japanese games just fine. The only Nintendo handhelds that are region protected are the 3DSes and the DSi's downloadable games.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Wait, so I can get a Japanese DS game and it'll work on my DSLite? Because I want the Fire Emblem series even though I can't read Japanese :v:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Tusen Takk posted:

Wait, so I can get a Japanese DS game and it'll work on my DSLite? Because I want the Fire Emblem series even though I can't read Japanese :v:

Correct.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

:aaaaa: :aaaaa:
This is fantastic news!! :retrogames::hf::retrogames:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Speaking of Sakura Wars (like a whole page ago), is the one that came to the states a couple years ago any good? It was on PS2 and Wii and NOBODY bought it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Unmature posted:

Speaking of Sakura Wars (like a whole page ago), is the one that came to the states a couple years ago any good? It was on PS2 and Wii and NOBODY bought it.

Yes it's very good it's just that it's also weird as hell. The main heroine is a cowgirl who lives in New York City with her horse and the developers also have a hilariously poor understanding of American history. The robots also transform into planes instead of being just regular armored suits.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Related to that, would a Japanese DS game work on an American 3DS?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Pablo Gigante posted:

Yes, the region protection on the 3DS is not affected with DS games, only DSi and 3DS games.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Received my trade goodies from Jitzu_the_Monk today. All was packaged in a shitton of bubblewrap and very cool. Games work and I'm enjoying some Battletoads right now. Thanks again!

Also check out this loving radical sick SG ProPad for the Genesis. My SNES-only wife saw this and was all "oh hey I can play Sega games with an SNES controller that's cool" gently caress yeah son.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Yes, so long as that Japanese DS game isn't DSi Enhanced. Those extra features contain region-specific information.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

iastudent posted:

Or sell your copy to me. :unsmigghh:

I would have sent it to you! But I never owned a real one :sigh:

I better get photos of all the trades I've gotten up in here, poo poo!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

It blows my mind that there are still sealed copies of so many games out there, let alone that some of them are actually cheap. I got a brand new copy of Sonic 2 for the Game Gear for $5.

Aaaaand I've already ruined it :v:

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!

Quiet Feet posted:

It blows my mind that there are still sealed copies of so many games out there, let alone that some of them are actually cheap. I got a brand new copy of Sonic 2 for the Game Gear for $5.

Let me know if you ever make it past the first boss.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Quiet Feet posted:

Did the trapped air inside smell like the 90s

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Pablo Gigante posted:

To piggy back off of what the others have said, I own six Japanese DS games and one European DS game, and they all work on my American 3DS just fine.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thanks guys :) I know it's not strictly retro but I've been thinking about picking up a 3DS lately, partly for 3DS games but also to catch up on all the great DS games that came out after my DS Lite mysteriously disappeared a few years ago.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I wonder if taking the gold option will affect the serial # for my everdrive cart...

It won't. The reason the deadline for picking gold is Tuesday is because they want to start coloring shells next week.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

After a couple weeks my $50 scart to hmdi.... thing has sxtarted to go on the fritz. Colors are way dark, varied where they shouldn't be, and it's overall just awful.
Why didn't I spent 10 times the money on a xrgb mini?

:negative:

Quiet Feet posted:

First thing you do when you open a brand new game is smell it - how was it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I cleaned it out, didn't really see any dirt or dust or anything on the cloth I used, we'll see how it holds up. Doom 64 is working fine so far now but I'll pick up some CR2032s hopefully today and relace the batteries anyway, wouldn'r hurt.

N64 collectin :hfive:

I find once you replace the battery the carts act wonky till you reformat them with the N64 a couple times. My SF Rush cart wouldnt recognize my memory cart until I wiped it twice for some reason.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Space Harrier posted:

Let me know if you ever make it past the first boss.

I dont remember that being hard. I remember the stupid loving hanggliding being hard

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Code Jockey posted:

Did the trapped air inside smell like the 90s

Heran Bago posted:

First thing you do when you open a brand new game is smell it - how was it?

That sort of weird sweet/sour toxic plastic smell. Simultaneously wonderful and awful. :barf:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Well looks like Surugaya-too on Rakuten got in copies of Super Metroid. Decided to bite the bullet since their price was under 20 bucks. Of course they also had copies of Princess maker 2 and the Super Robot Wars games were only a dollar. And better calculate the weight, oh look I still have under the minimal limit oh a bunch of Special Edition games for under 10 dollars.

60 dollars later. :retrogames: :retrogames:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
gently caress it, I'll change my username later.

:siren::siren:RGGE:Summer Games:siren::siren:
2. Will you ship international?
Sorry, too expensive :( But if we have a dire drought of US goons willing to ship overseas I could chip in the sheckles.
3. A list of your consoles
NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, Gamecube, Wii, Neo Geo Pocket Color, N64, Dreamcast, Game Boy, GBA.
4. Favorite genres of game
RPGs, platformers, anything super weird and obscure.
5. Any specific requests.
Ys and other Falcom games. If you can find the special edition of Oath in Felghana for PSP for cheap that's next on my list. Japanese games. I'm starting to learn Japanese and want some games to practice. I hear the portable Zeldas are good for this. And to bring it back to Falcom, Ys vs Sora no Kiseki for PSP is cheap on Rakuten. :3: Pretty much anything cool for Super Famicom. Also anything even remotely Dragon Quest related. Don't be afraid to go cheap, I'm just excited to be included.
6. Do NOT send.
Like everyone else said, sports and racing games and such.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Well looks like Surugaya-too on Rakuten got in copies of Super Metroid. Decided to bite the bullet since their price was under 20 bucks. Of course they also had copies of Princess maker 2 and the Super Robot Wars games were only a dollar. And better calculate the weight, oh look I still have under the minimal limit oh a bunch of Special Edition games for under 10 dollars.

60 dollars later. :retrogames: :retrogames:

Is there a good way to calculate shipping cost from Rakuten? Cuz it takes a long time for them to get back to me so if I'm just curious about shipping it's a hassle to just try and see.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 26, 2013

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Quiet Feet posted:

Simultaneously wonderful and awful. :barf:

Much like the 90s!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Unmature posted:

Is there a good way to calculate shipping cost from Rakuten? Cuz it takes a long time for them to get back to me so if I'm just curious about shipping it's a hassle to just try and see.

Use this weight chart:

and under the shipping estimates on Rakuten, they tell you what the total weight will cost in shipping.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Whoa cool, thanks. That'll be really helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Heran Bago posted:

After a couple weeks my $50 scart to hmdi.... thing has sxtarted to go on the fritz. Colors are way dark, varied where they shouldn't be, and it's overall just awful.
Why didn't I spent 10 times the money on a xrgb mini?

:negative:

Which one did you get? Please tell me it's not one of these:

Those only upscale the composite signal in the SCART cable (I know this because I tried to cheap out on an upscaler, too, before buying a Framemeister).

• Locked thread