Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Root Bear posted:

After a thorough steam cleaning, it'll make a fine boat anchor!

Or a coffee table. Could that have been the cause behind the damaged rockers? The grenading piston bending a pushrod or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Where did all the piston bits go? Crankcase and oil sump?

I don't think I'd reuse the oil filter. :v:

Touche. Anyway, before I got over his house he found that the ground for the methanol kit worked it's way out and we believe that caused the kit to miss and caused this lovely carnage you see here.

Or a coffee table. Could that have been the cause behind the damaged rockers? The grenading piston bending a pushrod or something?

I mean if it was just the one, sure, but there were a few others that had developed stress fractures. Comp said it looked like a bad batch and shipped him out a new set.

Dizman fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 23, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

If your going to do a coffee table, I find that it has to be an old Jaguar V12. Just looks so fitting.

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

If your going to do a coffee table, I find that it has to be an old Jaguar V12. Just looks so fitting.

I prefer my V12 coffee tables to be of the L539 variety.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Sadly I don't have a picture (couldn't get my cellphone out of my pocket while driving and it's illegal anyway) but there was a CR-V on my commute with both the upper and lower control arms torn free of the chassis with the wheel hanging loose inside the inner fender and jutting out at a severe angle. Looked like there was a strut on the hub as well but I couldn't tell for sure.

From what I could tell the CV shaft was still attached to the front diff, but it was at a pretty extreme angle and dripping grease onto the ground.

I'm guessing that one of the balljoints let loose, and then they kept driving on it until the other balljoint let loose, ripping the entire upright out of the car.

Good thing that costs less than a tow, right?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I'd like a dinner table radial off an ME 323C.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

Sadly I don't have a picture (couldn't get my cellphone out of my pocket while driving and it's illegal anyway) but there was a CR-V on my commute with both the upper and lower control arms torn free of the chassis with the wheel hanging loose inside the inner fender and jutting out at a severe angle. Looked like there was a strut on the hub as well but I couldn't tell for sure.

From what I could tell the CV shaft was still attached to the front diff, but it was at a pretty extreme angle and dripping grease onto the ground.

I'm guessing that one of the balljoints let loose, and then they kept driving on it until the other balljoint let loose, ripping the entire upright out of the car.

Good thing that costs less than a tow, right?

I'm imagining it looked a bit like this:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dizman posted:

At this point maybe a head bolt...

I'm guessing they're aftermarket but if not, the factory ones are torque-to-yield... so not even that :v:

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm guessing they're aftermarket but if not, the factory ones are torque-to-yield... so not even that :v:

Yeah, after market. In all honestly the only things he's saved are the Fast 102, fuel rails, injectors and throttle body, and those are getting sold since they won't work with the LS2.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Someone substituted high-heat Permatex for a head gasket?

...used Permatex as head gasket cement?

Gahhh

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 24, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

PainterofCrap posted:

I've actually seen the Permatex headgasket done before. Kid who thought he knew his poo poo about cars decided he wanted to get into the business of flipping cars for profit. Well, he bought a car with a busted headgasket and just slathered about two tubes of black permatex (high temp! :downs:) in place of a headgasket. Called me over to figure out why it was running so hot. Genius kid, that one.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Devyl posted:

I've actually seen the Permatex headgasket done before. Kid who thought he knew his poo poo about cars decided he wanted to get into the business of flipping cars for profit. Well, he bought a car with a busted headgasket and just slathered about two tubes of black permatex (high temp! :downs:) in place of a headgasket. Called me over to figure out why it was running so hot. Genius kid, that one.

The mind really boggles when you consider that a proper, new head gasket is not at all expensive. I guess you've got to cut corners and costs wherever you can though when you're a high powered mover and shaker in the used automotive resale world! :v:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

FIRST TIME posted:

The mind really boggles when you consider that a proper, new head gasket is not at all expensive. I guess you've got to cut corners and costs wherever you can though when you're a high powered mover and shaker in the used automotive resale world! :v:

Gotta get huge profit margins so you can always relocate when people come in after melting RTV head gaskets!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

My wife was in the back and referred to it as the 'Parade of Shame'

I dont know how often they do it, but if you hit the Varsity off of Spring Street, every so often they have a car show. I know the one here (Athens) tends to have one once a month. You don't really see the ricers, more older cars and Corvettes. Always Corvettes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
The fun stuff that was missed was the apparent 20 years of seawater exposure to the jugs, the green braided poo poo on everything, and the awesome wiring harness that looks soviet at best.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KKKLIP ART posted:

I dont know how often they do it, but if you hit the Varsity off of Spring Street, every so often they have a car show. I know the one here (Athens) tends to have one once a month. You don't really see the ricers, more older cars and Corvettes. Always Corvettes.

Is there a car show that owners of C4 and up corvettes won't crash?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Cars and Coffee, if they hold one near you, is where the awesomeness is.

and last time I checked, they stopped the car shows at the Varsity in Atlanta because of a highspeed pursuit ending up there, with the suspect parking and trying to "blend in."

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Carteret posted:

and last time I checked, they stopped the car shows at the Varsity in Atlanta because of a highspeed pursuit ending up there, with the suspect parking and trying to "blend in."

No, they certainly crash C&C Irvine. They try to wave them away, but old guys wake up really early.
(There is awesomeness though. My last trip has a veyron and a 959.)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

PainterofCrap posted:

Gahhh

My idiot mate and his father did that on a Camry he cooked.

First time i've ever seen or heard of someone successfully killing the camry 2.2L 4 pot...

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ferremit posted:

My idiot mate and his father did that on a Camry he cooked.

First time i've ever seen or heard of someone successfully killing the camry 2.2L 4 pot...

My neighbour a couple of doors across about 10 years back did this to a motorcycle. He was an ...interesting person. I remember him riding a kids bike down our street which had a brushcutter motor lashed to it with rope and a bit of pipe jammed on the end of its shaft to act as a friction wheel drive.

he also left his Sidchrome tools out on the ground in the back alleyway to rust.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Carteret posted:

Atlanta's is Caffeine and Octane, first Sunday of the month up on the Northside. I want to say its around the Cumberland area.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

CommieGIR posted:

No pictures, but Sunday I was driving down I-75 south back to Atlanta, and ricer after ricer was heading up I-75 north towards Chattanooga.

It was literally a parade of failed/damaged suspensions, Honda's burning oil, cars leaning at odd angles on a flat straight, and terrible rusted hoods and horrible paint jobs and neon plastidipped wheels. :psyduck:

What is wrong with people?

That's what you get living so close to Atlanta. Have you taken a tour of Road Atlanta yet? You can drive next to the track in a couple of places since there is houses all over the place there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

InterceptorV8 posted:

That's what you get living so close to Atlanta. Have you taken a tour of Road Atlanta yet? You can drive next to the track in a couple of places since there is houses all over the place there.

I have not yet, between tearing down my new ALH motor for my TDI and replacing the motor in the Audi, I've been busy.

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001
Pretty sure this is not mechanical failure, but pure stupidity. From a friends cell phone

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

the_worm_ posted:

Pretty sure this is not mechanical failure, but pure stupidity. From a friends cell phone

A decade ago I was going to work and had to detour via a side street from the highway due to some guy managing to kill himself after leaving the forks up on his garbage truck and having them slam into a pedestrian overpass which collapsed on top of him. The speed limit on this stretch of highway is 70 KM/h (Lougheed Highway for those in Vancouver) and the overpass was fairly old so it just gave way.

The guy died on the scene as it just fell on top of his cab.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

OSI bean dip posted:

A decade ago I was going to work and had to detour via a side street from the highway due to some guy managing to kill himself after leaving the forks up on his garbage truck and having them slam into a pedestrian overpass which collapsed on top of him. The speed limit on this stretch of highway is 70 KM/h (Lougheed Highway for those in Vancouver) and the overpass was fairly old so it just gave way.

The guy died on the scene as it just fell on top of his cab.

I was working in a warehouse that did pallet sorting and repair. And I watched a guy put a stack of pallets on top of another and then barrel full speed towards the truck dock with his forks still up in the air. I don't think I've yelled louder then that day, luckily the dude stopped just before he put his forks into the raised door and the upper wall behind it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Recently one of our CSAs did some work to his exhaust. The idea was to remove the flowmaster muffler, chop off the cats (which he assumed were clogged for some reason), and replace both with straight pipe. The muffler side was botched horribly; replacing a single 2-passage muffler with 2 tubes necessitates bracing the pipes together... which was done with a piece of threaded rod. As was the broken exhaust hanger the guy "fixed". Oh, and rather than a steel pipe he used flex hose to bridge the gap. Now, the cats were taken off, only to discover that they were basically brand new; apparently the PO had replaced them at some point. So the guy "welded" them back in (this is typical of all the welding he did):

The cost for this artisan craftsmanship? $350. On a 350 Chevy pickup. You could practically buy a whole new bolt-in exhaust for that price. The whole exhaust leaks like crazy and sounds like poo poo. Oh, and the twin exhaust tips angling out beneath the tailgate? One sits a few inches down, the other is practically rubbing on the body.

This on was on a customer's car. He drove it in like this.

~05 Explorer, front hub was basically being held on by the axle nut.

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Those are the worst welds I've ever seen

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Hey look someone who has worse welds than Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
He gave the truck genital warts? :confused:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Fucknag posted:

This on was on a customer's car. He drove it in like this.

~05 Explorer, front hub was basically being held on by the axle nut.

A 99 Ford Taurus came in yesterday for an inspection, and according to the customer "It just started shaking and clunks real bad"

:stonk: :cripes:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Root Bear posted:

A 99 Ford Taurus came in yesterday for an inspection, and according to the customer "It just started shaking and clunks real bad"

:stonk: :cripes:

How in... those studs have corrosion on them! They've clearly been broken for at least a few weeks!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Dick Diggler posted:

Those are the worst welds I've ever seen
Seriously. I can weld WAY better than that, and I freely admit that I'm pretty terrible.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

I wished I had had a phone with a working camera a few years ago. A 194X Chevy pickup came in with a Mustang II suspension install 'done' and wanted the rear suspension and drivetrain, etc. The 'installed' front suspension kit all looked like this. Moron + arc welder = bubblegum.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I've never touched a welder. That looks like I did it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I read up on welding on Wikipedia for an hour then started some basic MIG welding practice with a Home Depot welder and it was 10x better than that on my first pass. Still looked like poo poo and was boogery, but at least it looked like a weld and not coral growth.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

the_worm_ posted:

Stupid, but lucky. He could very well have ended up like this truck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gLzZ1rLSF8

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That isn't welding, that's an interlocking pile of weld spatter that happens to hold things together... for now.

I tried to learn to weld in 2009 with a 25 amp Craftsman buzzbox from the 60s and a stack of 1/8 6011 rod. My first, second, and third welds were all better than that and I was so bad I proceeded to blow the welder up - not sure what happened to it, all I know is that I saw a large shower of sparks explode out of the air vents on the side of the case and it never worked again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

InitialDave posted:

It's more like a spaceframe or a chassis with an integral cage, if it were a unibody/monocoque, it would have at least some of the outer panelwork as an integral part of the structure, and it doesn't, the body proper is non-structural.

It's what's called a perimeter-frame. Well, I guess you could call it a space-frame.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 26, 2013