Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Hey, kids. Do you wish Jess and the Ancient Ones was doomier and less :catdrugs:? Well, they did a split 7" with Deadmask, who can scratch that itch for you.

e: Oh, right. Dude that was asking about the Erimha album, a while back. Victory won't have it out until late July, last I checked.

Great Horny Toads! fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Morbid Florist posted:

I know they're mostly not metal aside from guitar tone anymore, but the new Amorphis album is decent. The only album since Eclipse I've listened to all the way through. Maybe not as varied as Eclipse but it sounds like they put a little more creativity in this.
This is from a while back, but I just got my hands on this album and my first impression is pretty good. It's no Tales From The Thousand Lakes, but still a helluva lot less "radio friendly" than their last few efforts. Diggin' it.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Hey, kids. Do you wish Jess and the Ancient Ones was doomier and less :catdrugs:?

No.

But as long as you brought it up, Paradise Lost was the first doom band I ever saw live (leading in for Nightwish, of all things) years ago. They've been around for a while but lots of people don't know about them.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Nvm

Great Horny Toads! fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 25, 2013

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Someone in the Post Your Soundcloud thread in Musician's Lounge liked my band, so I thought I'd post it here too. Have some 80's style metal from Finland:

https://soundcloud.com/rampart-finland

(Recommendation: Start with the last song.)

Inspired by the likes of Priest, Ozzy and Accept.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I just stumbled over this new release, I'm not sure what the gently caress to think of it.

Shining - I Won't Forget
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpyrbD-jeFs

:nws: Because tits.

Also, I may have missed it, but:

Sodom - Epitome of Torture
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1EtwVYm8DU

New Sodom!

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 25, 2013

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Hey, kids. Do you wish Jess and the Ancient Ones was doomier and less :catdrugs:?

Of all the retro bands around they're the LEAST psychedelic I can think of...

DeusExMachinima posted:

But as long as you brought it up, Paradise Lost was the first doom band I ever saw live (leading in for Nightwish, of all things) years ago. They've been around for a while but lots of people don't know about them.

Man, Paradise Lost. Maybe my first doomy band. I haven't listened to Draconian Times or Icon in years. Today might be flashback day at work...

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Listen to My Dying Bride you plebes

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Too weepy

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Get in touch with your feelings

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

attackmole posted:

Both. I think you're right on. Ozzy's voice worked great with Sabbath's music but it never really stood on its own, and non-techinical singers tend to have their voices degrade a lot faster than people who know what they're doing.

I think he announced retirement in about 1991 and in retrospect that would have probably been about the right time for it.

And if he can shamble up on stage with Iommi and Butler and mumble out NIB I'll be there cause I'm a sucker.

Trip report: NIB loving slayed.

It was far better than I feared it could have turned out. Ozzy can still 'sing' as good as you could ever hope for given his age/drugs/crippled body. He was even jumping around a bit - more than I'd have expected given how frail he looks when walking/standing/existing usually. His voice was surprisingly clear and articulate on older songs - especially NIB - but new songs on that new album of theirs were a bit more shakey.

Iommi and Geezer absolutely shreded it like they were in their 20s. Age has not touched them one bit. The drummer they have touring with them, Tommy Clufetos, does well to keep the songs galloping along and isn't weak in the band.

I was retarded and thought the concert started 30 mins later than it did, so I missed the first 6 songs which I am lovely at myself for because that contained War Pigs and Snowblind. I'm told War Pigs was a bit shakey though because it was their first song. I got there in time for NIB so my night was still good.

This is the set they're playing, if you are interested.

What the concert did cement in my mind, though, was how much Ozzy is just some dude who wants nothing more than to just rock out and enjoy making/playing music and all of the drama around him is purely Sharon's doing because she's a loving harpy. He was obviously enjoying himself up on stage and fed off the audience and just wanted to be chill and have fun. In short, gently caress Sharon. I really think the 'drugged out Ozzy' that you see shambling around is not really him drugged up to the gills. If I had to guess, it looks more like he's acutally riddled with quite a bit of arthritis and as such has a hunch and struggles to move as freely as he used to.

And holy poo poo, Geezer is a beast on that bass.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Wow that's actually a good set.

I won't see them without Ward, but I'm glad I saw them last time they reunited. And gently caress the ozzy haters. I saw him on his "retirement" tour up until the second ozzfest and the guy put on a goddamn good show. He's almost 70 and married to that horrible bitch, cut the guy some slack.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Nam Taf posted:

What the concert did cement in my mind, though, was how much Ozzy is just some dude who wants nothing more than to just rock out and enjoy making/playing music and all of the drama around him is purely Sharon's doing because she's a loving harpy. He was obviously enjoying himself up on stage and fed off the audience and just wanted to be chill and have fun. In short, gently caress Sharon. I really think the 'drugged out Ozzy' that you see shambling around is not really him drugged up to the gills. If I had to guess, it looks more like he's acutally riddled with quite a bit of arthritis and as such has a hunch and struggles to move as freely as he used to.

Not sure if you've been following it but Sharon basically kicked him out last year because he got back into drinking and abusing drugs again.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Based on the last couple of pages, I should see Absu on Sunday? Let's see if I can convince any of my friends to come.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Measly Twerp posted:

I just stumbled over this new release, I'm not sure what the gently caress to think of it.

Shining - I Won't Forget

Shining(NOR) loving rules, here's the whole album streaming and an interview with the front man. I really like "How Your Story Ends" and "Walk Away Master". Their cover of 21st Century Schizoid Man with Grutle Kjellson on vocals from their first metal album, Blackjazz, is absolutely amazing, and their old jazz stuff is good too, especially their album In the Kingdom of Kitsch You Will Be a Monster.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

Based on the last couple of pages, I should see Absu on Sunday? Let's see if I can convince any of my friends to come.

Yes and if your dumbass friends don't want to go (because they suck) then go by yourself.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Weaponized Cum posted:

Yes and if your dumbass friends don't want to go (because they suck) then go by yourself.

My first inclination is always go by myself. I'm used to that.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Hey guys, did you know that I'm seeing Ghost tomorrow night? Have you heard of them?

I'm pretty excited for this, actually.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Hey guys, did you know that I'm seeing Ghost tomorrow night? Have you heard of them?

I'm pretty excited for this, actually.

They're a little known gem, some day maybe they'll make it big

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Weaponized Cum posted:

Seconding this. Absu rule, and will surely put on a great show.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

KingKapalone posted:

go idiot

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Weaponized Cum posted:

Listen to My Dying Bride you plebes

Gotta agree with this. Even if their last few albums have been lacklustre in comparison to their heyday, they still rank as one of my favourite bands.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

KingKapalone posted:

If your friends need any type of 'convincing' to go see Absu, then they aren't real friends. Watching Proscriptor drum and do vocals without missing a beat is loving insane.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Has anyone seen the Death tour yet? I'm going tomorrow night and I'm wondering what we're in for. There's two stages...

watt par posted:

Not sure if you've been following it but Sharon basically kicked him out last year because he got back into drinking and abusing drugs again.

He couldn't be that into it again or the new sabbath material would have been better

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Just saw that Dragged Into Sunlight will be doing an AMA on Reddit on May 7th, if any of you are interested. I'd never heard of them before, actually, but I dig.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Measly Twerp posted:

Shining - I Won't Forget

I wasn't really loving this at first because I don't love this guys voice but it started growing on me and then the mother loving sax came in and now I'm pretty sure I'm going to look into this band

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

axleblaze posted:

I wasn't really loving this at first because I don't love this guys voice but it started growing on me and then the mother loving sax came in and now I'm pretty sure I'm going to look into this band

The sax is great, and Shining is pretty neat. Ihsahn did a collaboration with the same saxophonist and made a very cool song a few years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eINd5oQTcU4

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
I know you all LOVE Ghost here, so maybe you'll be interested in their newest marketing schtick.

:nws:
http://www.backstreet-merch.com/stores/ghost/official_ghost_phallus_phallos-mortuus-ritual-box-set_gits75.html

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

thepitgoddess posted:

I know you all LOVE Ghost here, so maybe you'll be interested in their newest marketing schtick.

:nws:
http://www.backstreet-merch.com/stores/ghost/official_ghost_phallus_phallos-mortuus-ritual-box-set_gits75.html

Holy loving lol

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Can't believe no one's mentioned that the new loving Antediluvian album came out yesterday.
http://www.nwnprod.com/?p=3165

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Morbid Florist posted:

Of all the retro bands around they're the LEAST psychedelic I can think of...\

Who are the MOST psychedelic?

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Actually, I'm kind of surprised this didn't come about sooner. You Can Now Play Skyrim as Amon Amarth

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Oldstench posted:

Can't believe no one's mentioned that the new loving Antediluvian album came out yesterday.
http://www.nwnprod.com/?p=3165

I'm waiting impatiently for the vinyl release myself ;) So excited for this one.

e: I considered picking up the CD because it is only $7, but $20 shipping to the UK put me right off!

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
I thought I'd posted these guys before, but I guess not. Anyway, Incisor was an instrumental death/thrash group that broke up a couple years ago. Click the link at the bottom of their artist page for one of their tracks.

A couple of their members have a new group called Nightkin, and it sounds pretty loving promising.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
You know what, this thread needs some juvenile poo poo. I recently discovered Zimmers Hole and I love it. Its the SYL band with a vocalist who seems inspired by Devin Townsend but has awesome range and his own style, singing about farts, blowjobs and necrophilic fisting like any self respecting novelty metal band. Solid as a frozen poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqOs6hWXYO8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiqIzq0AFNk

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So what is the best :sax:-metal out there? There's the Shining from above and Diablo Swing Orchestra of course. Anything else cool?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

DOOP posted:

So what is the best :sax:-metal out there? There's the Shining from above and Diablo Swing Orchestra of course. Anything else cool?

Ihsahn loves the :sax:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Ihsahn is the loving man. Also, are Nocturno and Fenriz still trolling trve kvlt black metal dweebs because "gently caress you, we're Darkthrone"?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

DOOP posted:

When I think sax-metal, I only think Solefald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

DOOP posted:

Not quite in the same vein, but you might like the German jazz/prog-metal band Panzerballett (much more well-known in prog circles than anywhere else). They've done some pretty awesome :airquote: covers :airquote: in addition to their originals.

Examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMGzkEw2uKQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7w85EmjMlU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfVyrOeQbNA