Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

Big News Corp settlement
I wonder if this will have any actual impact or end up being ignored as operating costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

It's being paid for by their insurance policy (presumably they bought the "being utterly corrupt shits" optional cover), so I doubt it'll make the slightest difference.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Yet another arrest

quote:

Scot Yard arrest ex-Surrey police officer, 41, on susp of payments for stories to newspapers. 62nd arrest in Op Elveden.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

IPCC has issued their findings on the hacking of Milly Dowlers phone

quote:

IPCC issues findings from investigation into Surrey Police and the knowledge that Milly Dowler’s mobile phone was hacked

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has found that former senior officers at Surrey Police were “afflicted by a form of collective amnesia” in relation to the force’s failure to investigate an allegation in 2002 that the voicemail of Amanda (Milly) Dowler had been hacked by the News of the World (NOTW).

The IPCC investigation found that there was knowledge of the allegation in 2002 at all levels in Operation Ruby, Surrey Police’s investigation into the abduction and murder of Milly Dowler, but that no action was taken to investigate it despite an indication that a crime had potentially been committed.

Deborah Glass, IPCC Deputy Chair, said:

“We will never know what would have happened had Surrey Police carried out an investigation into the hacking of Milly Dowler’s phone in 2002.

“Phone hacking was a crime and this should have been acted upon, if not in 2002, then later, once the News of the World’s widespread use of phone hacking became a matter of public knowledge and concern.

“Our investigation has heard from officers and former officers from Surrey Police who have expressed surprise and dismay that it wasn’t investigated.

“We have not been able to uncover any evidence, in documentation or witness statements, of why and by whom that decision was made: former senior officers, in particular, appear to have been afflicted by a form of collective amnesia in relation to the events of 2002. This is perhaps not surprising, given the events of 2011 and the public outcry that the hacking of Milly Dowler’s phone produced.

“However, it is scarcely credible that no-one connected to the Milly Dowler investigation recognised the relevance and importance of the information Surrey Police held in 2002 before this was disclosed by Operation Weeting.

“Surrey Police has apologised to the Dowler family for their failure and they were right to do so.”

The findings follow an investigation into the conduct of two senior officers, Deputy Chief Constable Craig Denholm and temporary Detective Superintendant Maria Woodall, and their alleged knowledge about the hacking in 2002 and the actions they took thereafter.

The IPCC also investigated the information that both officers provided to Surrey Police during an internal inquiry – Operation Baronet – into the force’s response to the allegations, which concluded for both officers that there was insufficient evidence of a case to answer.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It should also be noted the full IPCC report hasn't been published due to "ongoing criminal proceedings".

Keir Starmer, director of public prosecutions, is quitting as well.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Brown Moses posted:

It should also be noted the full IPCC report hasn't been published due to "ongoing criminal proceedings".

Keir Starmer, director of public prosecutions, is quitting as well.

If the gist of the findings is 'we call bullshit, there was knowledge of the phone hacking on all levels of their internal investigation' then is anything going to come of it? Or is this just a 'they were in the wrong and we could do something about it but in case you missed it OUR MAGGIE dropped dead recently and we're still choked up' situation?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It's a bit hard to say at this point, but the CPS seem to want to keep some of the details under wraps for the court cases.

And more news of charges

quote:

CPS to charge Duncan Larcombe (ex Sun Corr), John (ex Sandhurst) & Claire Hardy with a conspiracy to commit misconduct in public office.
CPS: It's alleged that 34 payments were made to either John Hardy or Claire Hardy totalling over £23,000 for stories relating mainly to...
...the Royal Family or matters at Sandhurst. #elveden
Tracy Bell, pharmacy assistant at Sandhurst, also charged with 1 count of misconduct in public office over alleged payments totalling £1250

Notice the Sun being mentioned more and more.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Brown Moses posted:

It's a bit hard to say at this point, but the CPS seem to want to keep some of the details under wraps for the court cases.

And more news of charges

Notice the Sun being mentioned more and more.

Well that's a bit reassuring, at least they expect some kind of legal action. As far as the Sun being mentioned, I'm optimistic about more heads rolling. What I'm really hoping for is Mail/Telegraph/Mirror dirt. If they're getting into the Dowler phone hacking do you think it's a higher likelihood than just Newscorp rags getting heat again?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Hard to tell, but it seems the Mirror is on the radar.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Brown Moses posted:

Hard to tell, but it seems the Mirror is on the radar.

Good. It isn't enough that Piers is hitched to Wolf Blitzer and the rest of the 'report twitter true or false 24/7' CNN crew.

JoeSchmoe
Jul 17, 2003

BBC are reporting that newspapers are going to propose self regulation and reject the royal charter...

Link - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22294722

Not much detail just yet, but surprised they have the nerve to pull this.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

JoeSchmoe posted:

Not much detail just yet, but surprised they have the nerve to pull this.

They're the most brazen sacks of poo poo in the country and have spent years breaking all kinds of laws with impunity, there's nothing really surprising about them deciding they enjoy being above the law and don't want to come down.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Pilchenstein posted:

They're the most brazen sacks of poo poo in the country and have spent years breaking all kinds of laws with impunity, there's nothing really surprising about them deciding they enjoy being above the law and don't want to come down.

PRESS FREEDOM YOU loving FASCIST!

Oh yeah did you know Princess Kate is pregnant? LOOK AT THESE PICTURES.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

Lord of the Llamas posted:

PRESS FREEDOM YOU loving FASCIST!

Oh yeah did you know Princess Kate is pregnant? LOOK AT THESE PICTURES.

And as soon as you showed up to Paul Dacre's door with a camera to take paparazzi pics and publish them, you'd be straight to court with him screaming about his human rights before you could even say "Photography causes cancer". Hell, Kelvin McKenzie went apoplectic when someone doorstepped him. Guaranteed if you papped any of the Mail writers houses or themselves, you'd be frogmarched straight to court for harassment.

Has this alternative Royal Charter been published anywhere yet? It was discussed on Sky news by Steve Hewlett, but I can't seem to find a published copy yet. Or are they that afraid of criticism when people start taking it apart?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
What exactly is a "remedy" in this press charter, that would be printed instead of an apology?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a broad term that could mean anything from a correction to an apology, and maybe a behind-the-scenes settlement. Which would basically be interpreted as a buried correction every time

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

So what happens if the government goes ahead with the reform? Can the papers just say, "nah we're good thanks" and that's the end of it? Or will they be able to force the papers to accede?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

PiCroft posted:

So what happens if the government goes ahead with the reform? Can the papers just say, "nah we're good thanks" and that's the end of it? Or will they be able to force the papers to accede?

Think the bill gives massive fines (multiple millions for a newspaper was talked about) periodically to any publisher that hasn't signed up to it. So some papers could end up just taking the fines and hoping that it gets changed, but the lower circulation papers will have to sign up or they could be fined out of business.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Another copper admits his guilt

quote:

Former police officer admits selling stories to Sun

A former policeman is facing jail after admitting selling information to the Sun newspaper.

James Bowes, 30, from Steyning, West Sussex, pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey to one count of misconduct in public office.

Bowes, who was a police sergeant on the Sussex Police neighbourhood policing team, was accused of passing on details of three high-profile investigations in 2010 in return for £500.

Sentencing is expected on 9 May.

Bowes, who was released on unconditional bail, is the fourth police officer to be convicted as part of Operation Elveden, Scotland Yard's investigation into alleged corrupt payments to public officials.

Mr Justice Fulford warned him that the fact he had been given bail was "no indication of disposal".

The BBC's home affairs correspondent Danny Shaw said the other police officers convicted as part of the same investigation were given prison terms ranging from 10 to 15 months.

No details of the case were given during the short hearing.

In total, more than 60 people have been arrested as part of Operation Elveden, which is being run alongside two other police investigations.

Operation Weeting is an inquiry into alleged phone hacking, while Operation Tuleta is an investigation into computer hacking and other privacy breaches.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

ukle posted:

Think the bill gives massive fines (multiple millions for a newspaper was talked about) periodically to any publisher that hasn't signed up to it.

I thought it was just a case of the fines for papers outside the regulatory body were much higher than for those inside.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Pilchenstein posted:

I thought it was just a case of the fines for papers outside the regulatory body were much higher than for those inside.

Either way the fines will just be added to normal operating costs. The only way they will make a difference is if they sting.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Jut posted:

Either way the fines will just be added to normal operating costs. The only way they will make a difference is if they sting.

OK let take The Daily Mail as the ultimate example, which turns over £2bn a year (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/article-1355378/Daily-Mail-owner-reports-increase-turnover.html). Even they won't be able to ignore multiple multimillion pound judgements against them. Add onto that any additional costs caused by saying 'nope we won't pay' and very soon there is a hefty sting.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

notaspy posted:

OK let take The Daily Mail as the ultimate example, which turns over £2bn a year (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/article-1355378/Daily-Mail-owner-reports-increase-turnover.html). Even they won't be able to ignore multiple multimillion pound judgements against them. Add onto that any additional costs caused by saying 'nope we won't pay' and very soon there is a hefty sting.

What's a couple of million here and there? The papers will simply not play this game, and will crucify any government that tries to actually enforce regulation with teeth.
DC was bending over backwards to NOT implement Leveson's suggestions.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Ahahahaha Max Clifford has been charged with 11 counts of indecent assault.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I wonder if Max Clifford calls Max Clifford when something like this happens

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

My bet is that the newspapers noted how Cameron and the conservatives got forced into the Royal Charter business and are thinking that they'll give them cover whenthey make this move until it becomes facts on the ground.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

David Johnson, Rebekah Brooks' bodyguard, will be charged with Conspiracy to pervert the course of justice after allegedly concealing evidence from Metropolitan Police

Oooh. Things just got interesting again.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

The above-linked article posted:

Operation Sacha, the Metropolitan Police Service investigation into allegations of perverting the course of justice relating to Operation Weeting and Operation Elveden.
There're operations about operations now.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Hopefully this will actually go somewhere this time

quote:

Judge to probe axe murder of detective: Notorious corruption case dates back 26 years

A notorious unsolved axe murder from a quarter of a century ago is to be investigated by a judge.

Theresa May will announce details later this month of an 'independent panel review' into the death of private detective Daniel Morgan.

The Home Secretary's panel will have the same powers as the one that reviewed the 1989 Hillsborough tragedy and led to a new criminal investigation.

Campaigners hope Mrs May's move will also trigger a new police inquiry and a successful prosecution of those responsible for killing Mr Morgan in a pub car park in Sydenham, south-east London, in 1987.

The 37-year-old married father of two was found with the axe embedded in his head.

Like the Hillsborough tragedy, the Morgan case has been dogged by allegations of police corruption.

The detective's family believe he was killed because he was about to unveil a web of corruption allegedly involving his business partner Jonathan Rees and a string of police officers.

Five inquiries – costing an estimated £50million – have failed to crack the case.

Last year the Leveson Inquiry into press standards heard disturbing claims that the News of the World put the senior detective who led the fourth and fifth investigations into the Morgan murder under surveillance.

Detective Chief Superintendent Dave Cook and his then wife Jacqui Hames said the suspects for the killing had encouraged the now defunct tabloid to watch them.

Miss Hames told the inquiry she was being watched because 'suspects in the Daniel Morgan murder inquiry were using their association with a powerful and well-resourced newspaper to intimidate us and try to attempt to subvert the investigation'.

The fifth inquiry into the murder collapsed in March 2011.

Three men charged with the killing – Mr Rees and his brothers-in-law Garry and Glenn Vian – were cleared of involvement before their trial started.

An Old Bailey judge ruled senior police had coached one of the supergrasses in the case, and it was revealed that large amounts of evidence had not been disclosed.

The panel judge is expected to appoint experts but will not have the power to call witnesses.

A Home Office spokesman said last night: 'Discussions are continuing with the family and we hope to make an announcement shortly.'
I've written about this in the past in much more detail here. The whole thing is a massive travesty of justice.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Hopefully.

Also hopefully PIERS will be destroyed... not related but I hope they get him for his involvement in the phone hacking and other bad stuff.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
The morning news planning email has a bit that's relevant to here;

quote:

THE SUN NEWSPAPER’S VERY OWN CRIME SECTION – 1) Rebekah Brooks' bodyguard in court charged with concealing computer information. David Johnson, a security professional for the former News of the World editor, in court accused of perverting the course of justice.
ALSO ii) The royal editor for The Sun newspaper, Duncan Larcombe, in court accused of conspiracy to commit misconduct in public office after allegations that he paid John Hardy, a colour sergeant at the academy, and his wife Claire Hardy, over £23k for stories about the Royal Family and Sandhurst Military Academy between Feb 2006 and Oct 2008.
AND FINALLY iii) Fergus Shanahan, former deputy editor of The Sun newspaper, in court charged with conspiring to commit misconduct in public office arising from Operation Elveden, the Metropolitan Police Service investigation into allegations involving the unlawful provision of information by public officials to journalists.

Exciting times!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

Sun journalists appear in court on bribery charges
Two journalists from The Sun newspaper have appeared in court over alleged bribes paid to public officials.

Royal editor Duncan Larcombe and executive editor Fergus Shanahan are accused of conspiracy to commit misconduct in a public office.

Mr Larcombe is alleged to have paid John Hardy, a former colour sergeant at Sandhurst Military Academy, and his wife Claire Hardy for stories.

Mr Shanahan is charged with authorising journalists to pay public officials.

The charges arise from Operation Elveden, which is investigating allegedly inappropriate payments from journalists to public officials.

'Fight allegations'
Mr Larcombe, of Aylesford, Kent, and Mr and Mrs Hardy, from Lancashire, appeared at Westminster Magistrates' Court jointly charged with conspiracy to commit misconduct in a public office between February 2006 and October 2008.

It is alleged that between those dates, 34 payments were made either to Mr Hardy or his wife totalling over £23,000 for stories relating mainly to the Royal Family or occurrences at Sandhurst.

The court's public gallery on Wednesday was packed with people supporting Mr Larcombe and Mr Shanahan, including a number of The Sun's journalists and former News of the World deputy editor Neil Wallis.

In a statement read outside the court by his solicitor James MacWhirter, Mr Larcombe said he was "shocked and disappointed" to find himself charged.

"I hope to demonstrate that I am a responsible journalist who reported in the public interest," he said.

"As a royal reporter I worked harder than any other at the Palace putting in place and ensuring the application of a series of criteria that had to be satisfied before a story would appear in my paper.

"For the past year I have had to remain silent but my aim now is to fight these allegations with every breath in my body in the hope that justice and common sense will prevail."

Mr Shanahan, from Felsted, Essex, is charged separately with authorising one of his journalists to make two payments totalling £7,000 to an unnamed public official for information between 7 August 2006 and 14 August 2007.

Tracey Bell, 34, from Goldthorpe in South Yorkshire, also appeared in court, separately charged with misconduct in a public office.

It is alleged that Ms Bell, who was employed by the Ministry of Defence as a pharmacy assistant at Sandhurst Medical Centre, accepted payments totalling £1,250 between October 2005 and July 2006 for five articles published in The Sun about Sandhurst.

All were released on unconditional bail to appear at Southwark Crown Court on 3 June.

Meanwhile, a bodyguard for former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks appeared in court, accused of conspiring to hide computers and other items from police investigating phone hacking and corrupt payments to public officials.

David Johnson, from Mitcham in Surrey, was released on bail to appear at Southwark Crown Court on 3 June.

So far, 70 people have been arrested as part of Operation Elveden.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Former Police Sergeant James Bowes has been given a ten month sentence for selling info about celebrities to the Sun. He plead guilty, so was spared the 3 years he could have received.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Brown Moses posted:

Hopefully this will actually go somewhere this time

I've written about this in the past in much more detail here. The whole thing is a massive travesty of justice.

Going to take this as a prompt for everyone to read Untouchables

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's the Morgan family statement, worth reading, as is the posts I've done on it in my blog, huge miscarriage of justice.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

Here's the Morgan family statement, worth reading, as is the posts I've done on it in my blog, huge miscarriage of justice.

This is the thing with the recent arrests and convictions - it's hard to maintain real outrage over things like selling police information, yeah it's bad and all but selling private information doesn't hold a candle to a killing that cruel.

An axe to the skull, bloody hell. The people behind this deserve the entire might if the justice system thrown at them.

BM - what do you think are the likely outcomes of any investigation here? Do you have confidence in the ability of the powers that be to get the bottom of the matter, or could this be a gentle whitewash designed to prevent blame spreading?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

God knows, I really hope that this time it leads somewhere, but it involves a network of highly corrupt and well-connected individuals who have already managed to scupper 5 previos investigations.

Here's the Home Office statement
http://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons-vote-office/May-2013/10th-May-2013/6.HOME-Daniel-Morgan.pdf

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

God knows, I really hope that this time it leads somewhere, but it involves a network of highly corrupt and well-connected individuals who have already managed to scupper 5 previos investigations.

Here's the Home Office statement
http://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons-vote-office/May-2013/10th-May-2013/6.HOME-Daniel-Morgan.pdf

Is this one the result of what Tom Watson was pushing for the last while? If it is, I'm pretty happy it went ahead and it's getting a serious look at again.

In more lighter news that was missed in the election bullshit last week. Paul "Privacy Is For Pedos" McMullan tried to stand for UKIP in the elections and was denied by Nigel Farage. At least Farage vetted one candidate, I guess.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Out of curiosity, have they managed to nail anyone close to Piers after all these months of allegations? I haven't been keeping track of the quasi-moronic web of suspects recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Piss Morgan.

• Locked thread