Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Pages of moneychat and no dong? I'm surprised at you, goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Huh, i guess having notes becoming bigger in size as well as in value is a thing.

Old and new Real notes.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

CountZeroThreepwood
Dec 18, 2006
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

The Federal Reserve used to print a bunch of comedy size notes although the biggest in public circulation was a paltry $10,000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_denomination_bills_in_U.S._currency

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Just saw this today on the street:

(Please excuse the lovely quality)

This is a civilian car, by the way. What on earth drives someone to purchase something like this, especially in a city like Vienna which just abounds with narrow streets and even narrower parking places? :psyduck:

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Obligatory to moneychat:

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

System Metternich posted:

This is a civilian car, by the way. What on earth drives someone to purchase something like this, especially in a city like Vienna which just abounds with narrow streets and even narrower parking places? :psyduck:

A small penis.

morningcommute.jpg

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

A whole set of these here:
http://geniscarreras.com/philosophy.html

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

System Metternich posted:

There are two major schools of thought on the rich (well, three schools, but the third is just a picture of a guillotine), the first is that you should be a lickspittle and live off of their largess, the second is that they might be very skilled in their particular area of expertise but they're just as stupid as everyone else is so you should do your best to take advantge of that by selling them stupid, expensive crap. The person who sold that car is from the latter school.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:drat:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
French Francs:

10 Francs(withdrawn in 1979):

Composer Hector Berlioz

Notes in circulation before the euro:

Musician Claude Debussy (front and back)

Little Prince writer and aviator Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Painter Paul Cézanne:

Engineer Gustave Eiffel:

Scientists Pierre and Marie Curie:

HCO Plumer GCB GCM
Apr 29, 2010

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."
It still amazes me how many countries have banknotes which are identical in size regardless of denomination.

It's basically saying "hey massive number of blind or visually impaired people (estimated at 10% of all adults in the USA for example), don't go shopping, have any kind of financial interaction, or be able to participate in a simple process of citizen behaviour, because .. well, because we don't care a gently caress".

Would it really be so hard to make each denomination a different size ? The UK and many other countries seems to manage.

Colombia, to their credit, are moving to do something even more sensible about the problem.

More countries should follow their lead.

Incidentally, if you don't think this is a big deal, next time you're at the checkout somewhere .. take out your wallet, and then shut your eyes tight and try to pay without asking for the help of some random stranger (probably the checkout clerk), and trusting them not to stiff you. Welcome to the world of the blind.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's the latest joyful image from Syria

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Oldie that's been coloured:

HCO Plumer GCB GCM posted:

It still amazes me how many countries have banknotes which are identical in size regardless of denomination.

It's basically saying "hey massive number of blind or visually impaired people (estimated at 10% of all adults in the USA for example), don't go shopping, have any kind of financial interaction, or be able to participate in a simple process of citizen behaviour, because .. well, because we don't care a gently caress".

Would it really be so hard to make each denomination a different size ? The UK and many other countries seems to manage.

Colombia, to their credit, are moving to do something even more sensible about the problem.

Incidentally, if you don't think this is a big deal, next time you're at the checkout somewhere .. take out your wallet, and then shut your eyes tight and try to pay without asking for the help of some random stranger (probably the checkout clerk), and trusting them not to stiff you. Welcome to the world of the blind.
Or just use plastic? I guess in a more cash oriented society this might be important but in most of the western world everyone and their dog uses credit or debit cards.

d64
Jan 15, 2003

Sorry for continuing the banknote chat, but since Finnish money had features to make them usable to the blind already in the 80s already, I am actually surprised to hear this is not the case everywhere.

On the lower right, the black circle marks are easily detected with fingertips; different bills had a different number of those:

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
Security features in paper money, an age-old concern:

quote:

The money that Franklin designed and printed for New Jersey in 1737 marked a unique advancement in technology. In an effort to prevent counterfeiting, a special form of “nature printing” was used. This consisted of making a lead casting of an actual single leaf, and using this as part of the design on the printed note. The outline and veins of each leaf were unique, and thus could not be duplicated by any other printer.

Franklin’s nature printing was so successful that it was used on numerous issues of State and Continental paper currency until 1780.

"To Counterfeit, is DEATH"

EDIT: I don't like the image choice with this one.

SombreroAgnew fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 26, 2013

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

e: Context:

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Funeral of 1LT Mohsin A. Naqvi, killed by an IED in Afghanistan, September 17, 2008.

http://projects.militarytimes.com/valor/army-1st-lt-mohsin-a-naqvi/3738847

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 26, 2013

HCO Plumer GCB GCM
Apr 29, 2010

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Or just use plastic? I guess in a more cash oriented society this might be important but in most of the western world everyone and their dog uses credit or debit cards.

How very Marie Antoinette.

Yes, I often pop to the corner shop for a pint of milk and pay with a credit card.

Seriously, the solution to this isn't "use plastic", it's "design a currency that doesn't discriminate against 10% of the population".

There's absolutely no reason why banknotes need to be the same size and shape. After all, coins aren't. Why do you think that might be ?

HCO Plumer GCB GCM fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 26, 2013

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SombreroAgnew posted:

I don't like the image choice with this one.

This one is dumb too:

Pictures:

Spirit Tree
Jan 22, 2007
Photosynthesising

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Australian polymer banknotes are pretty great.

Is that a thing elsewhere or is paper/cotton still the standard?

You missed the part where Australia invented the damned things and a company (that was loving privatised) produced them for Bangladesh, Brunei, Chile, Indonesia, Kuwait, Malaysia, Mexico, Nepal, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Romania, Western Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Vietnam.

Cook islands has decent coins, whether it's the liplicking creepy penis dollar ( :nws: i guess)

Or their triangular coin

There's absolutely no reason why banknotes need to be the same size and shape. After all, coins aren't. Why do you think that might be ?

:ssh: They nearly always aren't, they're usually slightly different shapes or lengths so machines can recognise them.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Yes, I often pop to the corner shop for a pint of milk and pay with a credit card.

Seriously, the solution to this isn't "use plastic", it's "design a currency that doesn't discriminate against 10% of the population".

There's absolutely no reason why banknotes need to be the same size. After all, coins aren't. Why do you think that might be ?

Yes? Maybe in using a credit card like me you're showing that you've got a bit mo' money than most but there are 12 year old kids with debit cards here and seeing as I live in a country where the differently abled are actually cared for I'm fairly sure that they also have cards. At least all my other friends on disability do, maybe the blind don't for some bizarre reason. Oh, and I actually looked it up and our cash is differently sized, all 4 of the different denominations, the difference is just so small I'd never noticed. This was actually done because of lobbying from the Icelandic Organization for the Blind. I couldn't check my wallet because I'm not living in the 19th century though and it doesn't have bills.

Haha, I forgot the 2000 isk bill exists. When was the last time I saw one of those...

Oh hey, I found an old bill around and they're also slightly ridged. I suppose you could tell from that as well.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Funeral of 1LT Mohsin A. Naqvi, killed by an IED in Afghanistan, September 17, 2008.

http://projects.militarytimes.com/valor/army-1st-lt-mohsin-a-naqvi/3738847

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Henry Kissinger, not dead yet. If you'd like to vomit, read this!

Robert Kaplan posted:

Ethiopians should have been so lucky as to have had a Pinochet.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Gio posted:

Henry Kissinger, not dead yet. If you'd like to vomit, read this!

I was expecting a description of his sex life in the 60s and 70s.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yes? Maybe in using a credit card like me you're showing that you've got a bit mo' money than most but there are 12 year old kids with debit cards here and seeing as I live in a country where the differently abled are actually cared for I'm fairly sure that they also have cards. At least all my other friends on disability do, maybe the blind don't for some bizarre reason. Oh, and I actually looked it up and our cash is differently sized, all 4 of the different denominations, the difference is just so small I'd never noticed. This was actually done because of lobbying from the Icelandic Organization for the Blind. I couldn't check my wallet because I'm not living in the 19th century though and it doesn't have bills.

Haha, I forgot the 2000 isk bill exists. When was the last time I saw one of those...

Oh hey, I found an old bill around and they're also slightly ridged. I suppose you could tell from that as well.

I don't know what it's like in the world of the future, but here in the UK many smaller shops will have a minimum spend of £5 or so for credit/debit cards (because of card processing fees) so it's not practical to go completely without cash for small purchases, even if your finances are healthy enough to use a card without racking up overdraft or credit card fees.

Also not using cash in a pub just seems wrong somehow.

The Bank of England is replacing social reformer Elizabeth Fry, the only woman on their banknotes (not counting the Queen on the other side obviously) with Winston Churchill on the £5 note.

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ekuNNN posted:

This one is dumb too:

St. Peter the Atheist.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Hah, yes, because card machines are also so helpful and useful for the blind with their touch screens and their needing-to-call-the-bank-to-confirm-your-balance. I live in the states and have a blind friend who will occasionally just turn to someone he trusts and get them to verify the contents of his wallet, which he keeps stocked with cash so he knows how much he has and so he can do transactions with people that aren't large stores.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chen_Guangcheng

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

marktheando posted:

I don't know what it's like in the world of the future, but here in the UK many smaller shops will have a minimum spend of £5 or so for credit/debit cards (because of card processing fees) so it's not practical to go completely without cash for small purchases, even if your finances are healthy enough to use a card without racking up overdraft or credit card fees.

Also not using cash in a pub just seems wrong somehow.

The Bank of England is replacing social reformer Elizabeth Fry, the only woman on their banknotes (not counting the Queen on the other side obviously) with Winston Churchill on the £5 note.
What the hell? What kind of scam are the credit card agencies running against smaller retailers if they have to do that? :psyduck: I purchase in bulk most of the time regardless, but yea, you don't even need cash for parking anymore, ya can use a card for that. As for bars, It's safer to use paper in bars in case they try to swindle you when you're drunk I suppose but most of the time I don't drink enough for it to be a problem.

Uhhh, have a video that embodies the problems with modern Icelandic culture instead, where the guy on the keyboard was found "insufficient evidence" of rape.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIg3Lb7AiQs

Gay Abortions posted:

Hah, yes, because card machines are also so helpful and useful for the blind with their touch screens and their needing-to-call-the-bank-to-confirm-your-balance. I live in the states and have a blind friend who will occasionally just turn to someone he trusts and get them to verify the contents of his wallet, which he keeps stocked with cash so he knows how much he has and so he can do transactions with people that aren't large stores.
What kind of bullshit is this? Ya swipe the card, done. You don't even need a PIN here, they can let it through if they sign instead. What manner of bullshit are they putting people through?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
A different narrative of the Jews during the Holocaust. Some of these are really inspiring.
http://popchassid.com/photos-holocaust-narrative/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sorry about catalyzing moneychat y'all :(

Were you there? Checkmate, literally every biologist in the world :smug:

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

What kind of bullshit is this? Ya swipe the card, done. You don't even need a PIN here, they can let it through if they sign instead. What manner of bullshit are they putting people through?
Try signing something with your eyes closed, never having actually seen the letters that make up your signature. The PIN pad is easier, since there's a standard layout and a dot on the 5. But, yeah, poo poo in the US is really harsh to the blind.

Coohoolin posted:

A different narrative of the Jews during the Holocaust. Some of these are really inspiring.
http://popchassid.com/photos-holocaust-narrative/
Time for a friendly reminder: when the allies liberated the concentration camps, they re-imprisoned just about everyone with a pink triangle.

Sidewalk graffiti outside of a lesbian bathhouse in SF

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up

zoux posted:

Were you there? Checkmate, literally every biologist in the world :smug:
Says "WERE YOU THERE!?" while preacher is reading from the Bible, everyone falls on their knees and starts crying.

Carrie A. Nation, famous temperance supporter before, during and after Prohibition. Saloons were illegal in Kansas at the turn of the century but no one enforced it. She claimed God told her to walk into a saloon in Kiowa, Kansas and smash the bottles, the mirrors, whatever she could find with a rock. At other saloons she did the same and more famously with a hatchet. Due to the social mores at the time she and similar protesters couldn't be physically stopped.

Prohibition happened for a lot of reasons, but the most noble were probably from the women flexing their political muscle for the first time. Saloons before Prohibition were men-only affairs and next to nothing stopped a husband from going there, blowing a paycheck, and bringing home an STD from a prostitute to the wife.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

I don't really understand how using a card implies "rich" or "Marie Antoinette." I often use a debit card to buy stuff like milk. When I was unemployed, the state distributed payments through a government-issued debit card. The only time I don't use one is for small purchases at local shops that would lose out because of processing fees.

Patton's design for tank uniforms.

SombreroAgnew fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 26, 2013

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

What the hell? What kind of scam are the credit card agencies running against smaller retailers if they have to do that? :psyduck: I purchase in bulk most of the time regardless, but yea, you don't even need cash for parking anymore, ya can use a card for that. As for bars, It's safer to use paper in bars in case they try to swindle you when you're drunk I suppose but most of the time I don't drink enough for it to be a problem.

Umm, credit card companies charge retailers for use of their services. Most large chain stores or public services usually cover it themselves, but smaller stores like your local grocers or the bodega down the block cant deal with it so they charge it on the customer (or they have a minimum for credit card use).

Also how are you supposed to see how much you are charged if you are blind? even if you dont need PIN or anything, even the process of using credit cards are fraught with difficulty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11nsZ3lEWD0

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Gay Abortions posted:

Try signing something with your eyes closed, never having actually seen the letters that make up your signature. The PIN pad is easier, since there's a standard layout and a dot on the 5. But, yeah, poo poo in the US is really harsh to the blind.

Time for a friendly reminder: when the allies liberated the concentration camps, they re-imprisoned just about everyone with a pink triangle.

Sidewalk graffiti outside of a lesbian bathhouse in SF
Christ, I'm glad to live in a country with a working social welfare system. I just don't get how the hell people can think that not reaching out to the differently abled to enable them to function properly in society in any and all possible ways is ok.

SombreroAgnew posted:

I don't really understand how using a card implies "rich" or "Marie Antoinette." I often use a debit card to buy stuff like milk. When I was unemployed, the state distributed payments through a government-issued debit card. The only time I don't use one is for small purchases at local shops that would lose out because of processing fees.

Patton's designer for tank uniforms.
Hah, maybe it was just a stab at my rich evil white MRA self~

Have a picture from the Pots and Pans revolution, where hope was born for change in Icelandic politics only to die tomorrow:

ughhhh posted:

Umm, credit card companies charge retailers for use of their services. Most large chain stores or public services usually cover it themselves, but smaller stores like your local grocers or the bodega down the block cant deal with it so they charge it on the customer (or they have a minimum for credit card use).

Also how are you supposed to see how much you are charged if you are blind? even if you dont need PIN or anything, even the process of using credit cards are fraught with difficulty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11nsZ3lEWD0
Local grocer? They still have that in your country? :v:

And we're now going into a lot of problems for the blind, like how did they get there, how did they find the groceries they needed, just to get to the point of paying with a credit card. I'd say that they should be offered assistance with all those things and if someone is scum enough to try and swindle blind people, they'd probably not be stopped by paper money?

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 26, 2013

Spirit Tree
Jan 22, 2007
Photosynthesising

Hah, maybe it was just a stab at my rich evil white MRA self~

Local grocer? They still have that in your country? :v:

And we're now going into a lot of problems for the blind, like how did they get there, how did they find the groceries they needed, just to get to the point of paying with a credit card. I'd say that they should be offered assistance with all those things and if someone is scum enough to try and swindle blind people, they'd probably not be stopped by paper money?

Wow, you're so in touch and caring with the rest of the world, even listening to the concerns of blind people instead of just questioning why they should exist outside without a minder.

But keep blaming everyone else for thinking you're a condescending smug piece of poo poo I guess. Again.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Clearly the solution is trained guide dogs to use atm/debit machines.

Most everyone I know never has cash, it's always debit. $4 carton of milk from the corner store? Debit. The stores don't mind debit as much since it's a flat % or something and the rate isn't too bad, it's credit cards that really put the squeeze on and you'll find lots of smaller store that don't take credit. But I don't even understand the point of credit cards other than when you're traveling and the country in question doesn't have a compatible debit card network.

• Locked thread