Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Ended up making a reservation at Bacchanalia. Looks pretty awesome. My parents' favorite restaurant is French Laundry, so I think Bacchanalia should be to their liking. Thanks for the help!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

BurgerFi is a new chain from Florida. I've been several times in Orlando, but never had the awe-inspiring experience you described. It is like a cross between Five Guys and Shake Shack with In n Out touches. Onion rings are much better than the fries, though.

Yeah I think Five Guys beats the poo poo out of Burgerfi. I think of Farm Burger and Burgerfi as basically interchangeable.

Landrobot posted:

CHAI PANI DINNER is on, this Thursday (April 25th) at 8:30pm. Meet either in the lobby area or Bar area. I'll get there a little early to secure our table, depending on how many of us are going, we'll probably just grab all the tables in the bar area. It should be pretty easy to spot all of us goons. Head chef Daniel Peach will come out and meet with us and maybe join us for some food if it's not too busy. Depending if the other owners are there, they will do a meet and greet as well. I'll probably grab an entire round of random appetizers for everyone, maybe some drinks too (I have random food credit to use up). Bring a friend or lady-friend as well. Should be a fun time! PM me if you have any questions or such.

Also in. I'll wear my finest fedora.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiloVictorDongs
Apr 12, 2007
SOME PIG

Landrobot posted:

CHAI PANI DINNER is on, this Thursday (April 25th) at 8:30pm. Meet either in the lobby area or Bar area. I'll get there a little early to secure our table, depending on how many of us are going, we'll probably just grab all the tables in the bar area. It should be pretty easy to spot all of us goons. Head chef Daniel Peach will come out and meet with us and maybe join us for some food if it's not too busy. Depending if the other owners are there, they will do a meet and greet as well. I'll probably grab an entire round of random appetizers for everyone, maybe some drinks too (I have random food credit to use up). Bring a friend or lady-friend as well. Should be a fun time! PM me if you have any questions or such.

Edit: I actually won't be able to make Thursday. Nuts!

KiloVictorDongs fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 23, 2013

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'd love to go, but won't be able to make this thursday. Do post some sort of recap though, would love to hear how it goes!

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I will be there plus one.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
I wish I could go, but some financial stuff come up. :(

I second the need for someone to post a recap!

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not really sure what to think of this:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/staplehouse-a-purpose-driven-restaurant

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
Chai Pani Dinner update: there's about 15 of us going so far, anyone else want to confirm or not? I talked with them tonight and they will have us at two 8 person tables, or more if needed, maybe around the bar area. The head chef will be joining us at the table(s) to eat and talk about the food, India, travels, etc, while one of the owners will be hanging out as well.

If possible, can we push the time back to 8:45pm, or is this too late for everyone? They're just slammed busy at dinner time and want to make sure we have a good table. So, I'll be there at 8:30pm in the lobby area, having a fine cocktail, if anyone is cool waiting around. The tables should be ready soon after that (8:45 or so), depending on how busy they get. We're in no rush to leave if we run late into the evening either. This is a special dinner :)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
If it's at 8:45 I miiiight be able to make it. I hope nebulous head count is acceptible

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

soooo

you're donating to this guy because he got and overcame cancer

so that he can buy and remodel a house which he'll own

which he'll turn into a "not for profit" restaurant

that will donate all the net revenue (after his salary, partners cut, expenses, etc)

to a 501c3 that he owns

which after that 501c3 factors in all its expenses (his salary, partners salary, expenses)

he'll vaguely do something to help industry workers in atlanta who are faced with tragic unexpected situations?

I could tell you what I think of it, butttttt it's rather pessimistic...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I do the IT work / credit card processing / financials for a couple local non-profit 501c3's. I'm not saying they do anything at all shady or against their bylaws, but money does basically flow in, and right back out into the pockets of staff and contractors. One of which is me, so I'm not complaining - but I'm pretty skeptical of non-profits in general. Also I am needlessly negative on the internet for no good reason. :)

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

wtf, $880,000 for a restaurant startup? Is this some 'Buckhead Life' joint or something?! Seems to be more obsessed with the location than the purpose of the restaurant, which they could do in another location for a shitload less money. But if it's not your money, who cares right?!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
what I really don't understand is the muss & turner guys being in on it.

it looks like they're being paid as consultants? but maybe also have equity?

if I had to guess, I'd say they are just getting some sort of equity in return for a little guidance and operational help, along with their names being tacked on to help with fundraising - but I don't really know how equity would even work in a non-profit type situation.

also yeah, $600-800 seems pretty excessive. I've roughly estimated the cost I think I'd need to open a brewpub with a working brewhouse on site (eg, wrecking bar), and I came up with the number $550. $150 of that was strictly brewing related expenses. so, place better be pretty awesome for that amount of money.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I'm game for Thursday with a tentative +1.

deep13
Jan 2, 2013

mindphlux posted:

what I really don't understand is the muss & turner guys being in on it.
Maybe I'm confusing this with something else, but I thought the guy who got cancer was a long-time chef/cook/worker at Muss & Turners. Last time we ate at Local Three, I remember reading something about it on their menu -- they were asking for donations to help cover medical bills.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

I could tell you what I think of it, butttttt it's rather pessimistic...

Yeah, I was more sort of take aback by it all. The amount of money just flabbergasted me and I just couldn't process it all.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

deep13 posted:

Maybe I'm confusing this with something else, but I thought the guy who got cancer was a long-time chef/cook/worker at Muss & Turners. Last time we ate at Local Three, I remember reading something about it on their menu -- they were asking for donations to help cover medical bills.

That would explain it.... Well, the muss and turner involvement anyways. I really don't know anything beyond what was on that kickstarter page, so forgive my presumptuous trolling.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Chai Pani - Things changed around a little bit and I will probably be able to make it with a plus one! Hooray!

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Chai Pani - Things changed around a little bit and I will probably be able to make it with a plus one! Hooray!

You can have my spot. Unfortunately, work kicked me in the dick. Back on the hanger you go fancy anime silk button-up.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I want to make it to Chai Pani tonight but I'll probably be stuck at the office. :smith:

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

-2 for Chai Pani. Sadly, I'm out (as is my +1).

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

We still have around 12+ goons tonight. I'll be there at 8:30pm in the lobby area, but our table probably won't be ready until 8:45pm+, so show up late if you want (8:45). Plan to meet in the lobby area, grab a drink, hang out until we sit.. See you all tonight!

edit: This just got published http://clatl.com/atlanta/kale-pakoras-at-chai-pani/Content?oid=8004952

Landrobot fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 25, 2013

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I'll be coming straight from work but am still gonna be there. Do you think parking will be any more manageable that time of night or should I still plan on the public lot behind that Texas something something place?

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

If parking is a pain, I'll probably be on the residential street nearby (google maps, Northern or Fairview Ave.). There's plenty of parking if you dig around.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

kuskus posted:

-2 for Chai Pani. Sadly, I'm out (as is my +1).

Boo this man.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I caught this article in the new Creative Loafing. I've only had a chance to skim it so far, but I'm seeing a lot of familiar places and dishes, like Miso Izakaya and the charcuterie at Empire State. It's got the kale pakoras at Chai Pani, so I'm looking forward to starting to work on the list!

100 Dishes to Eat Before You Die - Atlanta

Edit: Well, familiar in that I've seen them brought up a lot in this thread.

Edit 2: I read good. :downs:

Beef Hardcheese fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 26, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Great dinner last night at Chai Pani with a bunch of goons! It looked like they re-worked their menu slightly. I particularly enjoyed the Mango Chaat Landrobot ordered for us.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Thanks again for arranging the meet, Landrobot! The food was great, and I'm looking forward to heading back later on to check some of the other dishes out.

One tip for anyone who happens to go to Chai Pani, you probably want to ask your server about the size of the dish you get. I got the (something that is abbreviated SPDV?) on the menu, and it was five dumpling slightly smaller than the size of a golf ball, while others had small pizza-sized breads that came with several small side containers of meat, yogurt, etc.

kontona
May 3, 2003

had a great time at chai pani last night and it was nice meeting everyone. thanks again landrobot.

i enjoyed what i got but also got jealous of other people's orders. definitely going back in the near future.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

kontona posted:

had a great time at chai pani last night and it was nice meeting everyone. thanks again landrobot.

i enjoyed what i got but also got jealous of other people's orders. definitely going back in the near future.

Yeah, thanks for the setup and the bhel puri/that other thing. I managed to choke on water, so I consider the night to be a resounding success. Definitely want to try and make it back there with a few friends. It's a place that I would have trouble eating at alone since I won't be able to finish anything by myself, but I want to try different things. But it's also a restaurant that I wouldn't take a date to unless I already knew her well enough to not need to talk much; that place is pretty impossible to casually chat in.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Zenzirouj posted:

that place is pretty impossible to casually chat in.
Yeah. I have a sore throat today from trying to make myself be heard.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
Adding to the thanks to Landrobot for organizing this thing. I had an excellent time and will definitely be going back there in the future.

Safety Dance posted:

Yeah. I have a sore throat today from trying to make myself be heard.

Ditto.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Glad everyone had a good time and enjoyed the food! Try different small dishes at the top of the menu, like 2 per person, and experiment. They're ALL really good. I'll pass word on to the owners about the noise level, as I've experienced this before too. If anyone wants to organize another dinner somewhere new, I'd be game.

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
Hell yeah, that was a lot of fun. The food was great and I'll definitely be back. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to the people on the other end of the table (I was the redhead chick sitting on the end near Landrobot), but it was fun to chat with those around me! And thanks for the real estate/neighborhood advice. Maybe this will be the year we finally get out of OTP :)

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Man, school caught up with me and I couldn't go. Sounds like I missed out something fierce. Oh well, I've got a couple of weeks between the end of this semester and starting research this summer, hopefully I'll have a chance to make it out there.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I really enjoyed the Chai Pani visit. Thanks to all, and especially Landrobot.

Landrobot posted:

If anyone wants to organize another dinner somewhere new, I'd be game.

If we wanted to do another restaurant meetup, I'm pretty sure I could arrange that at The General Muir and Community Q.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

venutolo posted:

I really enjoyed the Chai Pani visit. Thanks to all, and especially Landrobot.

If we wanted to do another restaurant meetup, I'm pretty sure I could arrange that at The General Muir and Community Q.

I would be interested in this for sure. I wish I could have made it out last night but work did not allow that to happen.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
I'm definitely in if there's another restaurant meet up.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Cross-quoting from the Industry Professionals thread:

mindphlux posted:

most of the korean bbq places here in Atlanta just plop down a plate of whole (!) raw garlic cloves and sliced jalapenos that come with your meal.

I haven't had Korean BBQ in a long time. What's your favorite place?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Safety Dance posted:

Cross-quoting from the Industry Professionals thread:

I haven't had Korean BBQ in a long time. What's your favorite place?

it's funny, I was just coming to this thread to ask you guys the same thing. my mom and lil bro are in town tonight visiting and my brother is sort of picky about food. I think he always likes korean bbq though, so was gonna go somewhere this evening.

hae woon dae is my favorite, but not out of any sort of meaningful pickiness. they're open all hours, aren't unreasonably priced, use real charcoal for their bbq, service always is nice, I've never disliked anything.

that said though, I've only tried 4-5 bbq places. things that immediately get you disqualified in my book : not doing tableside grilling. Woo nam jeong has good tasting bbq, but the fact that they cook it in the back is no fun. Also not having beer is a cardinal sin. Finally I think over $25 per portion is a bit cheeky, as is disappointing banchan.

anyways, I'd love to branch out from my hae woon dae, so I'll be googling a bit this afternoon. if any of yall have suggestions, would love to hear them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I've been to a place out on Buford Highway (duh), but I can't for the life of me remember where it is or what its called. I'll ask some friends.