Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org
Does anyone have experience using Trainsignals for Microsoft certs? In particular I'm on the Server 2012 path at the moment, preparing for 70-410 with CBT Nuggets and exam dumps. But I was thinking for 70-411 I might try Trainsignals since they're reasonably priced and offer instruction videos and practice exams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Just got back from the exam center myself, once again the simulations are what threw me off a bit, but I just took a breath and focused.

Getting my official certificate in 5 business days soon. Hell yeah. Now to just update the resume.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Xenoletum posted:

Just got back from the exam center myself, once again the simulations are what threw me off a bit, but I just took a breath and focused.

Getting my official certificate in 5 business days soon. Hell yeah. Now to just update the resume.

What are the simulations like?

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Kaethela posted:

What are the simulations like?

It's mostly a hands on screen, I don't want to go into too much detail but they test your thinking ability and your ability to identify exactly what you need in a system based on requirements. One involved setting up an e-mail connection on a phone. They do give you junk information in these so be sure to read and not to just react to everything you see.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Xenoletum posted:

If there were a Harvard for SysAdmins, you would be there on a scholarship. That is pretty bad rear end.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
Well he did say he was using Visual Cert to practice which is a program used to read dumps...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ganon posted:

Well he did say he was using Visual Cert to practice which is a program used to read dumps...

Maybe there are legit sites which use visual certs for homemade practice exams that aren't dumps, I just have never heard of it.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
I was using Visual Cert through my school, but nothing for that extent. Between that and TestOut, I've been sitting in class bored though. Hell the books we're using are saying that LGA 775 and 1366 are the latest Intel chipsets and that AM3 is the latest AMD chipset. My score is too cheap to provide us with current, up to date materials. I've been spending the last few classes off building boxes for us to mock-helpdesk while rewiring the server we've got. The thing's backside is a mess.

E: On second thought though, I wouldn't be surprised if the teacher was throwing together "practice exams" with 701/2 dumps. I haven't learned poo poo from him and have to correct him on stuff on an almost daily basis. We're only stuck with this guy because the one we were supposed to have got poo poo-canned the day we started. I just spend my day doing the Labsims in TestOut with my headphones on, occasionally taking them off to see if he's talking about anything useful, I just hope he doesn't ramble like this in Net+.

Eldritch BiLast fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 27, 2013

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
I don't think that up to date stuff is a priority if its not going to be asked on the exam.

I was listening to the packetpushers podcast backlog and there was an episode (around 2010 maybe) where a guy saw someone at cisco live with his laptop out using some sort of dump to practice an exam. Does that still happen? How do these people cope when they get jobs?

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009
so fun stuff, work had an extremely bad quarter and management is freaking out so now my PMP cert training is on hold because ~$2,500 is going to kill the company (we're a medium size company with revenues around 100m). Anyway I'm debating on just paying for the thing myself instead of hoping work picks it up later.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
So PearsonVue lets you create a password that's longer than their login page will actually allow you to enter.

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007
Folks taking the server 2012 tests, what are you using to study?

I passed the 410 mostly with this wonderful post on tech exams. http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2012-general/88247-70-410-resources.html

Now I am looking to roll the 411 but the only training I have are the CBT nuggets and I can't stand how often the videos get off objectives (if I have to hear about Frankenstein's boot one more time, I am going to be sick). The MSPress books are not out until August and I don't want to wait that long.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

psydude posted:

So PearsonVue lets you create a password that's longer than their login page will actually allow you to enter.

Out of curiosity, how long were you trying? I was having issues changing my password there myself today.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Sorry if this has been mentioned but I didn't see it in the last several pages.
:siren: Attention former Cisco Net Academy students :siren:

Cisco is shutting down NetAcademy soon (June 30th) to transition to "NetSpace", and near as I can gather they are going to gently caress you in the following fashion:
-Former students won't get access to NetSpace. It's a currently enrolled/instructor invite only thing.
-You will lose access to your former course materials. Your previous continued access was a gift, not an entitlement.

So yeah, make sure you have your local copy of the latest version of PacketTracer you'll ever own legally, and hopefully you're done with your reading materials. Really bad handling if you ask me.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

Out of curiosity, how long were you trying? I was having issues changing my password there myself today.

Like 20 minutes. Then I realized the dumbness of their development team and shortened my password by one character so it'd work.

Whole lotta sketchy testing centers around me. Might be willing to drive a bit to find a community college or something with a Saturday timeslot.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
What's your concern about some of them? I've done lots of test and more of a few of them I took at whatever hole in the wall was closest and never had any problems.

The only time I had a problem was when they signed me up for a test in Japanese but that was the person at Prometric who I talked to on the phone and not a problem with the test center itself.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

psydude posted:

Like 20 minutes. Then I realized the dumbness of their development team and shortened my password by one character so it'd work.

Whole lotta sketchy testing centers around me. Might be willing to drive a bit to find a community college or something with a Saturday timeslot.

Your password was... 20 minutes long? I know what you mean about sketch testing centers though. At one time the closest Pearson VUE center was in a bad area on the other side of town, and quite literally next door to a medical marijuana dispensary. Prometric on the other hand has a location at the community college that's all of a quarter mile from my house. At some point they started doing Pearson stuff also though, so fortunately I won't have to worry about whether my truck's getting broken into or not while I take my exam on Friday.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
You guys are killing me. My test is this Saturday at Pearson.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

Your password was... 20 minutes long? I know what you mean about sketch testing centers though. At one time the closest Pearson VUE center was in a bad area on the other side of town, and quite literally next door to a medical marijuana dispensary. Prometric on the other hand has a location at the community college that's all of a quarter mile from my house. At some point they started doing Pearson stuff also though, so fortunately I won't have to worry about whether my truck's getting broken into or not while I take my exam on Friday.

Oh, haha, I thought you meant how long I was trying to get it to work. I was trying one that was 17 characters. The max they'll accept is 16, apparently.

hackedaccount posted:

What's your concern about some of them? I've done lots of test and more of a few of them I took at whatever hole in the wall was closest and never had any problems.

The only time I had a problem was when they signed me up for a test in Japanese but that was the person at Prometric who I talked to on the phone and not a problem with the test center itself.

Well, I went to the website of the one that that was closest and had the most Saturday appointments available and it said their account had been suspended.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Parlett316 posted:

You guys are killing me. My test is this Saturday at Pearson.

Mine's Friday, no idea what I'm in for testing center-wise since its about 35 miles away.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Scheduled ROUTE for June 1st. Been working on this poo poo for like 10 months, so it's time to finally get it out of the way.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org

Chivas Aribas! posted:

Folks taking the server 2012 tests, what are you using to study?

I passed the 410 mostly with this wonderful post on tech exams. http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2012-general/88247-70-410-resources.html

Now I am looking to roll the 411 but the only training I have are the CBT nuggets and I can't stand how often the videos get off objectives (if I have to hear about Frankenstein's boot one more time, I am going to be sick). The MSPress books are not out until August and I don't want to wait that long.

Good god man, I hope I can pass 70-410 with just CBT nuggets and exam dumps. That looks like it would take months to go through.

In terms of 70-411, I was going to check out trainsignal.com http://www.trainsignal.com/Course/198/Windows-Server-2012-Administering-70-411

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Well it looks like I know the answer to my question about the Visual Cert thing when today my teacher pointed me to a site to download the Net+ test. Dammit.

I've got another 4 weeks of A+ lecturing right now before we get into the Net+ stuff, so I can only hope that he'll actually teach us as opposed to ramble on about jumpers for 3 hours like he did one day.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
What the gently caress, your school is terrible and is ripping you off. I can't believe you're still showing up, there's so many better options out there.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Ganon posted:

What the gently caress, your school is terrible and is ripping you off. I can't believe you're still showing up, there's so many better options out there.

Well, apparently the original teacher of the program wasn't doing any of this stuff and one of the two I currently have doesn't actually agree with it either. It's the head teacher that enforces it because he sees it as a valuable training tool while he gets to talk about jumpers, BNCs, and other tech that is for the most part outdated. The original teacher was fired for some reason which is lame for us, since most of the students feel like we're learning nothing with the one older guy, but every time the younger guy is there, we make actual progress.

I've gotta show up though, since this was all done through student loans, and I don't want to have to pay those back without something to show for it. Supposedly though the Network + is going to be all the younger teacher, so we will actually probably learn somethings.

Edit: It's a bad sign though that the older teacher pestered me about whether or not I remembered my questions and simulations from my exams. I've been thinking about reporting him to the dean, and so have other students.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Not quite certifications but I guess this is the best thread to ask: Anyone ever taken Prove It exams?

I have three that I have to take. MS SQL, Server 2008, and VMware.

I want to say I'd taken their tests before, for things like Word and Excel and it would frustrate me that if you used a keyboard shortcut it wouldn't give you credit and things like that. I'm assuming it's going to have me do the basic things like 'Create a new user', 'Change file permission', 'Create a share and quota', 'Change IP address of a network adapter', all that kind of stuff.

I haven't done any sysadmin stuff in a little over 2 years and it was all 2003 back then. I just don't want it to have me do something complicated like something advanced in AD, replication or clusters.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I failed the A+ 801 exam recently by a few points and I just checked my email to see that CompTIA sent me an email congratulating me on passing the test and that I just needed one more to be certified. I was a little confused, then I got another one 3 hours later telling me not to give up because 20% of people fail it the first time. Thanks a lot you fucks.

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007
Here are some resources for people taking the 70-411 and the 70-412. I found the 70-410 version of this very helpful.

70-411
http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/certification/server/w/wiki/492.411-administering-windows-server-2012.aspx#fbid=IeXXHqjCmhn

70-412
http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/certification/server/w/wiki/493.412-configuring-advanced-windows-server-2012-services.aspx#fbid=IeXXHqjCmhn

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
N+ test tomorrow, besides rereading this massive book and CBT nuggets, any sites for a helpful refresher for things? I had to pound down DNS last night to remember A, AAAA, PTR, CNAME, MX. Resolver, authority ahghghghhghghghg

Wizzle
Jun 7, 2004

Most
Parochial
Poster

I've seen Trainsignal mentioned a couple of times here. I looked at their course list and they have some Citrix stuff. I'm thinking of getting a subscription for my staff to get them up to date since Citrix training is so hard to come by.

What are people's opinions of Trainsignal and, if possible, the Citrix courses?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
oreilly.com eBooks are 50% off today with the coupon code DRM2013. The books are DRM free, meaning you get PDF, MOBI, et cetera files that are not tied to a specific device or account. I just bought some books for certs that I had been putting off for a while.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Passed n+. Wooo.

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
Passed the Project+ exam with an 871/900.. so many words I'll never use ever again.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
For the 70-410, what's the consensus on the Microsoft Press book? I'm planning on using that in conjunction with CBT Nuggets unless there is something that's a bit less painful than what I've encountered before from Microsoft Press.

v- Bummer, I really like having a text book to study from. It doesn't even look like the Sybex one is out yet either.

Adjectivist Philosophy fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 5, 2013

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007

Traffic Reporter posted:

For the 70-410, what's the consensus on the Microsoft Press book? I'm planning on using that in conjunction with CBT Nuggets unless there is something that's a bit less painful than what I've encountered before from Microsoft Press.

It's garbage. It is really inaccurate and doesn't go into detail on stuff the test goes into detail about. It is bad enough that I really don't think it should have been published.

Earlier in the thread I posted a link that had all of the technet articles broken out by exam objective.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Chivas Aribas! posted:

It's garbage. It is really inaccurate and doesn't go into detail on stuff the test goes into detail about. It is bad enough that I really don't think it should have been published.

Earlier in the thread I posted a link that had all of the technet articles broken out by exam objective.

I will agree 100%. It feels like these press books were rushed. Feels liked objectives given to the book makers weren't in sync with the objectives of the test makers. Microsoft does this to add "difficulty" normally, but these sets of books are out of control.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:
I'm going to be trying to get my Security+ very soon so question about Security+ materials, is the OP recommended book still good? I have this book I picked up a while back for a class I was taking, is it just as good/better/worse? Is the Certblaster software any good?

Also, should I really try to get Network+ before Security+ like I've read somewhere before? The problem is I'm okay with networking but I'd never be able to handle large scale business networking yet and that would be a good few months if not a year before I'm comfortable paying for that exam. I have a book that went with a class for that too but good god subnetting is dreadful to me. I still don't fully understand a lot of that kind of stuff.

An Unoriginal Name fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 6, 2013

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Sickening posted:

I will agree 100%. It feels like these press books were rushed. Feels liked objectives given to the book makers weren't in sync with the objectives of the test makers. Microsoft does this to add "difficulty" normally, but these sets of books are out of control.

The 70-461 is on its second reprint (ebook only so far). The e-book shipped in november, and the print went out in dec/january. I spent a great deal of money on a paperweight, basically.

http://oreilly.com/catalog/errata.csp?isbn=0790145345059

incoherent fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 6, 2013

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

An Unoriginal Name posted:

I'm going to be trying to get my Security+ very soon so question about Security+ materials, is the OP recommended book still good? I have this book I picked up a while back for a class I was taking, is it just as good/better/worse? Is the Certblaster software any good?
The Darril Gibson Sec+ book is really fantastic. I haven't read the one in the OP but Gibson is clear and concise and easy to read. I had no problems passing with existing knowledge plus this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1463762364/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1367842379&sr=1-1-catcorr&pi=SL75

E: Apparently that was the one in the OP. Oops. Get that one though.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

incoherent posted:

The 70-461 is on its second reprint (ebook only so far). The e-book shipped in november, and the print went out in dec/january. I spent a great deal of money on a paperweight, basically.

http://oreilly.com/catalog/errata.csp?isbn=0790145345059

Sadly, that's pretty much been standard for the SQL exam texts. The SQL 2008 MCITP:DBA book MS Press put out was a terrible rush job that never got updated (yet still took forever to come out), and they didn't even bother to write anything covering the second exam.