Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

I've never touched a welder. That looks like I did it.

Doubt it. Anyone with half a brain and even a shred of decency would have busted out the grinder, shaved off the warts and tried again. I'm a pro booger-welder and I thought my ~custom exhaust~ was ugly, but god drat this is horrifying.

I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out what exactly was wrong, this welding chart doesn't cover it:

also GIS'd "bad weld" and was not disappointed...it's another exhaust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Root Bear posted:

A 99 Ford Taurus came in yesterday for an inspection, and according to the customer "It just started shaking and clunks real bad"

:stonk: :cripes:

Wait wait wait wait. Did somebody put the lug nuts on OVER the plastic hub cap? :stare:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I'm going to have to climb under my truck now to snap some pictures of the exhaust now. The one time I let a mechanic touch it, and everything ended up covered in those terrible spattery "welds." I've been putting off pulling out an angle grinder mostly because I don't have 240v in my shop and so I can't weld it back together.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Sir Cornelius posted:

It's what's called a perimeter-frame. Well, I guess you could call it a space-frame.

Thanks for bringing up that pedantic discussion from 8 pages ago.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You don't know anyone who has a "babbys first MIG welder" that runs on 110? I keep a lincoln procore/100 around that runs on 110 simply because it means I can grab it with one hand and sling it in the back of the truck when a friend wants me to weld something that won't move, instead of trying to figure out how to get it near my 220 welder and long-rear end extension cord.

With proper prep and a little skill you can weld up to at least 1/4" plate with a 100 to 130 amp welder running fluxcore, it burns a little hotter than MIG given the same current and preheat/beveling the poo poo out of the work will get you the rest of the way.

I see them on CL for like 200 bucks all the time, I bought mine off a friend for $100 when he replaced it with a miller 211 iirc.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Boat posted:

Wait wait wait wait. Did somebody put the lug nuts on OVER the plastic hub cap? :stare:
That's the way some cars work - my '91 Honda Civic had them that way.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nubile Hillock posted:

I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out what exactly was wrong, this welding chart doesn't cover it:

also GIS'd "bad weld" and was not disappointed...it's another exhaust

The former weld was too cold and had improper (i.e.: no) surface prep.

The GISed image appears to have the same problem but was done FCAW or GMAW (probably GMAW) with entirely too much stick-out and way too fast of a wire speed.

I am not a good welder, but I at least recognize that and have done the research to figure out how to correct my problems. Turns out basic break/fix welding for your basic automotive repair and exhaust stuff is about 30% surface prep, 60% having the correct machine settings and only 10% technique (as in, you can learn about as much as I know in 30 minutes on some scrap steel). And I mean all of this in the context of getting acceptable results that work and that you don't have to grind right back off again, not crazy rear end artwork-level poo poo like what UF does.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I've only used a MIG welder. I've never seen anything like that. MIG is easy, it's like a hot glue gun for metal.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

thylacine posted:

I've only used a MIG welder. I've never seen anything like that. MIG is easy, it's like a hot glue gun for metal.

That GISed image is MIG (GMAW). See all the "whiskers" or wire that didn't melt? Yeah....machine settings.

And I agree....GMAW (MIG) and FCAW (flux core wire without gas using the same type of machine) are pretty simple if you're paying just a little bit of attention. It's much easier than stick welding for me. I haven't gotten my hangs on a TIG welder to try yet, but I'd really like to see how much of a mess I make of that process.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I have virtually no welding experience, but I was told that welding on galvanized metal was a great way to ruin your health. Are exhausts galvanized?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Sometimes.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That looks like fluxcore not MIG to me, I think I see the hole in the end of the wire from the flux core in a few places and it looks like there's brown flux smoke everywhere on the right side.

Also, CommieGIR, move over :smug:

1/4-28 ujoint strap bolt that broke off a thread or two down into the yoke ear came right out.

kastein fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 26, 2013

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I have virtually no welding experience, but I was told that welding on galvanized metal was a great way to ruin your health. Are exhausts galvanized?

You just have to grind the galvanized part off, or drink a lot of milk beforehand :v:.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Metal shakes aren't a loving joke.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

That looks like fluxcore not MIG to me, I think I see the hole in the end of the wire from the flux core in a few places and it looks like there's brown flux smoke everywhere on the right side.

Also, CommieGIR, move over :smug:

1/4-28 ujoint strap bolt that broke off a thread or two down into the yoke ear came right out.

I gotta take out two broken exhaust studs that broke flush this weekend, wish me luck.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That sounds... not fun, any chance you can just use a dremel to make a flat blade screwdriver slot in them, torch the motherfuck out of the head surrounding the stub, and then spin them out?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
Didn't need those anyway.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The best part is when he still counter steers. :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Previa_fun posted:

The best part is when he still counter steers. :v:

...He drove the wheels off it...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

edit nm

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I can't tell if he instantly starts sliding or if the Aero actually keeps the front end up.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

BoostCreep posted:

That doesn't even look real... I wouldn't even know how to react at that point other than just laugh and accept my fate.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Carteret posted:

I can't tell if he instantly starts sliding or if the Aero actually keeps the front end up.

Nah the front wing sits a bit higher than the floor, he's running along the wooden plank they have on the bottom of the car.

I did our team's FSAE uprights this year and that gif still terrifies me! :ohdear:

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Carteret posted:

This is not how aero works.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

amenenema posted:

This is not how aero works.

Unless you're in a hydrofoil! :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Carteret posted:

F1 aero generates downforce, if anything it'd slam down harder.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

BoostCreep posted:

I cannot put together what the hell happened. He hit something? Looks like both steers just blew simultaneously...

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

I cannot put together what the hell happened. He hit something? Looks like both steers just blew simultaneously...

Major design flaw if you ask me... and I thought they were supposed to be tethered so full separation like that couldn't even happen. I remember that race pretty vividly and my reaction was just *jaw drop*.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
He hit the brakes at high speed and the stress caused the uprights to fail. Not sure if they ever said what the issue with them was.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Friend of mine is fixing this:

Who wants to guess what kind of a car?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

RapeWhistle posted:

Major design flaw if you ask me... and I thought they were supposed to be tethered so full separation like that couldn't even happen. I remember that race pretty vividly and my reaction was just *jaw drop*.

Could you explain what you mean by tethered? I don't really see how a material defect leading to full failure of the suspension arms is something that is easily preventable.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

If you look at most modern F1 crashes, you will see that the wheels will separate but there will be a tether that ties them to the car so they don't fly into a crowd and kill a few dozen people.

As for what happened with that car: Adrian Newey. Adrian Newey happened.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

jamal posted:

Hold my beers, guys. I got this.

It's always a Fiero.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Crustashio posted:

He hit the brakes at high speed and the stress caused the uprights to fail. Not sure if they ever said what the issue with them was.

I think I remember hearing that they were testing a new upright design in a practice session, which it seems wasn't quite up to the task.

Edit: The reason the wheel tethers failed is because the tethers are (or were, I think they changed that since then) attached to the uprights.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 27, 2013

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

jamal posted:

If by fixing you mean "replacing the whole thing" then OK, if you actually mean there's something useful left in what was that engine then :stare:

quote:

Hmm, DOHC V6 that appears to be designed for performance from the factory and gets abused....GTR? I'm certain it's something Japanese and probably AWD.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

jamal posted:

That looks like a VQ35HR; VQ35DE rods are shaped differently around the big end. Then again, the VQ38DETT also has the same shaped rods.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 27, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

wolrah posted:

If by fixing you mean "replacing the whole thing" then OK, if you actually mean there's something useful left in what was that engine then :stare:

Hmm, DOHC V6 that appears to be designed for performance from the factory and gets abused....GTR? I'm certain it's something Japanese and probably AWD.

Yeah, basically new everything:

And it is a GTR.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I know how it all goes money wise, but I still can't ever imagine loving with an engine that costs so much to rebuild. I'll stick to my lovely little bike engines where I can get a used motor with 10k on it for $1500.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Crustashio posted:

Not sure if they ever said what the issue with them was.

'Something broke, it happens'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgRNYuFewS4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BlackMK4 posted:

I know how it all goes money wise, but I still can't ever imagine loving with an engine that costs so much to rebuild. I'll stick to my lovely little bike engines where I can get a used motor with 10k on it for $1500.

I'd rather rebuild the engine than the transmission. I don't think a Saturn V costs as much as a GTR transmission.