Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Head Movement posted:

Are you actually pronouncing an r? I would have guessed not. If you actually are, I would guess that because Australian dialects typically don't pronounce syllable final r's that it's an instance of hyper-correction and putting r's where no one else actually has them. Other than that, the t disappeared as complex consonant clusters have a tendency to simplify over time. The last bit is either a syllabic l or schwa followed by l which is fairly typical.

More food related - explain "bahnahnar".

Edit: apparently banana art is a thing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
That is actually pretty amazing.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
heyyyyja bvbbb

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Fo3 posted:

It's "How yA goin' " BTW.
"Ye" is too old english. "Going" ie, pronoucing the last 'g' is too much effort.
How ya goin'

Also, you have two choices in speech for extreme aussie:
1) try to speak really nasally, and end words with a 'sing song' up-note, like you are asking a question enthusiastically.
2) Speak really gruffly and low from your throat like you are about to spit

That's the country Au speak anyway, in a suit and in the city it's somewhere in between, but still stands out as still being very different from everywhere else that speaks english because it has that mix between deep and gruff and sing song nasally speaking quality.

Edit:
BTW, what were you watching?

Oh, I've totally noticed those speech patterns. I think it sounds adorable. Specifically the sing-songy upnote at the end. Like, "How ya goin'" doesn't come out like a question, but "I'm about to have a big sleep" does. XD

There's this one show called Undercover Boss. It's the Australia edition. It took me about three episodes in to be able to parse what the hell everyone was saying.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yes, let's make pressure cookers scarier everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD_Ufn1ROw0

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

dino. posted:

Dear Australia: your tv programmes are really fun to watch. And I've found myself asking my mates "how ye going" more than I care to admit.

Have you seen The Adventures of Lano and Woodley? That show rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnYqLo_yLpk

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Man I made biscuits today using my sourdough starter and some lard cut into the flour.
poo poo came out civil war hard tack. Some times you lose some, I guess.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

EVG posted:

I hate it.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

I see that there. posted:

Man I made biscuits today using my sourdough starter and some lard cut into the flour.
poo poo came out civil war hard tack. Some times you lose some, I guess.

Did you add baking powder / soda? I had great success using greek yogurt as my acidic enrichment last time I made biscuits. Sourdough starter is plenty slack, but you might want to augment the tartness with that.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

EVG posted:

Awesome :allears:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Yes, let's make pressure cookers scarier everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD_Ufn1ROw0

Good thing those guys didn't know how to use google.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Allahu Snackbar posted:

Did you add baking powder / soda? I had great success using greek yogurt as my acidic enrichment last time I made biscuits. Sourdough starter is plenty slack, but you might want to augment the tartness with that.

yeah, I did use baking soda. I think I overworked the dough, I did it in a food processor rather than cutting the lard in by hand. Next time I'll hand mix it.

edit:vvv That's a great point. I'm really new to baking, and I've just been looking for an excuse to use the sourdough starter I've got going, and never considered how glutinous that it would be when working it into the recipe I followed. vvv

I see that there. fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 25, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

yeah, I did use baking soda. I think I overworked the dough, I did it in a food processor rather than cutting the lard in by hand. Next time I'll hand mix it.

a sourdough starter will intrinsically have a lot of well developed gluten, too.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Rehearsal dinner went well tonight. Roast pork, gravy, roasted potatoes, acorn squash, salad, assorted deserts, etc. for about 40. Even cleanup went smoothly. Tomorrow is the real thing.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Wiggles, hollar when you're in London. We will eat a food.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Hello GWS chat thread! I am traveling to San Francisco next week and am wondering if any of you fine culinary goons could suggest some kickin' rad places for me to go eat. I'm going to attempt to avoid eating at any sort of chain if I can at all help it. Alas, my mother is not as adventurous as I when it comes to eating so chances are any sort of molecular gastronomy type of place is out, but cuisine from basically any culture is a-ok.

Thanks friends!

Are you just going to be in San Francisco? Cause I live in the East Bay and could loving hook you up on eateries, but I'm much less well-versed in stuff in SF proper. Except Smuggler's Cove. Go drink at Smuggler's Cove. Don't go on a weekend though. And if you should up before 8 or so you're more likely to get a place to sit.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

edit:vvv That's a great point. I'm really new to baking, and I've just been looking for an excuse to use the sourdough starter I've got going, and never considered how glutinous that it would be when working it into the recipe I followed. vvv

Yeah keep in mind the best biscuits (imo) are made with techniques similar to pie crust - cold fat, cut it in, roll out it out, cut.

Nancy Silverton has this amazing recipe for laminated biscuit dough that I really need to try sometime though.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Kenning posted:

Are you just going to be in San Francisco? Cause I live in the East Bay and could loving hook you up on eateries, but I'm much less well-versed in stuff in SF proper. Except Smuggler's Cove. Go drink at Smuggler's Cove. Don't go on a weekend though. And if you should up before 8 or so you're more likely to get a place to sit.

Where in the East Bay do you live? I grew up in Fremont and my parents still live there so I'm there pretty often.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Wiggleswedding liveblog:

20 quarts of pozole cooking. Beans simmering. Beginning salsas.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

mediaphage posted:

Yeah keep in mind the best biscuits (imo) are made with techniques similar to pie crust - cold fat, cut it in, roll out it out, cut.

Nancy Silverton has this amazing recipe for laminated biscuit dough that I really need to try sometime though.

They're pretty dope. I would recommend them.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Wiggleswedding liveblog:

You did ask the wedding photographer to take a subset of pictures specifically aimed at GWC, correct?

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Good luck Wiggs!
I cooked with my best man for my wedding, too, and had an absolute blast, and yep the photographer did us justice.

But anyway, good luck, hope your day goes amazing!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Photography wasn't my department. Maybe I can get something.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Wiggleswedding liveblog:

I just had a cup of pozole for lunch. What are the chances?

(pretty high, I love pozole)

good luck goon!

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Kenning posted:

Mostly just SF proper, yeah. Really though, any sort of info you might have would be great since I've been too busy with finals to properly look into food-things.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And now, some Texas boys try surstromming.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d81_1366853584

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

hey, pickled herring owns :colbert:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pickled and fermented aren't exactly the same thing.

edit: Their reaction as soon as the seal on the can is broken had me laughing in real life. REAL LIFE

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
"You don't got any hot sauce or anything?"
"Nah man I got blue chips right here."
*projectile vomits*

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
i wana go hom :(

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

mindphlux posted:

I feel so broke up
I wanna go hom

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Question:

I made caesar salad dressing tonight and ignored the important part of the recipe: pour the oil in slowly once the other ingredients are well mixed and put it in first. I added an egg yolk for emulsification, got out a whisk, stretched the ol' biceps and whisked the hell out of it and...

It came together in like 20 seconds. Way faster than slowly drizzling the oil in to incorporate. Is adding the oil to an emulsion slowly an old wives tale, or did I just have enough emulsifying power between the yolk and the ground mustard?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Yo Wiggs, I know hanging out with dorks from the internet is the last thing you would want on your honeymoon but if you wanna food in London you can reach me at theklay at gmail.com

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Chemmy posted:

Question:

I made caesar salad dressing tonight and ignored the important part of the recipe: pour the oil in slowly once the other ingredients are well mixed and put it in first. I added an egg yolk for emulsification, got out a whisk, stretched the ol' biceps and whisked the hell out of it and...

It came together in like 20 seconds. Way faster than slowly drizzling the oil in to incorporate. Is adding the oil to an emulsion slowly an old wives tale, or did I just have enough emulsifying power between the yolk and the ground mustard?

You can emulsify something just fine by dumping everything together and blending it, but it's way easier if you start out with a drizzle of fat and work your way up.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's the thing: I used a whisk by hand and had literally no problem. It took like 20 seconds of whisking.

Freak accident? Lucky coincidence?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Chemmy posted:

That's the thing: I used a whisk by hand and had literally no problem. It took like 20 seconds of whisking.

If you had some dijon in there, and you should have, it does a fantastic job of emulsifying.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Chemmy posted:

Question:

My boyfriend's mom makes this crazy delicious Caesar salad dressing and she just throws everything (eggs, oil, garlic, everything) in a cup and blitzes it with her stick blender until it's white and creamy. I was pretty :catstare: the first time I saw it because of all the whisking I usually do. I have never attempted it this way though.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Chemmy posted:

Caesar salad isn't nearly as hard to emulsify properly as, say, a hollandaise. They're all doable very quickly though.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Married.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

:clint: