Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I think we'll live. :v: It is kind of annoying how SR points tend to be useless outside of keeping you locked at the hard difficulty, and that is something you should be able to choose on a menu anyway. They have a small effect on this game's last stage but it is barely noticeable, and you'd need to miss out on more than 9 of those to be knocked back to normal difficulty anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Plus it'll only last for these two routes, and then we pick up from the one that just ended.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Couldn't you just cheat in an extra SR point?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I caught it up and put away my extra saves for the next two routes, so let's just get right back into it.

This time Crowe decides that he might as well go see the stars. The rest of the conversation goes exactly the same way as before.

The Skulls and Meisters are having their own conversation about how the Birth of Calamity and rise of Imperium have caused problems for everybody, especially the countries on the Imperium's warpath. "They're cutting a gash in the world as they travel," remarks Allelujah. And not just a physical one - bitterness and paranoia are ripping people apart in their wake as well, while civilians live in constant fear that they may be swallowed in the blast. Worst of all, the Imperium's forces are a bottomless well of mindless, merciless, and unstoppable DAMons. Imperium spreads fear, terror, and violence in their wake, and leaves a scorched wasteland behind them, just like Limonesia. And as if kicking them while they're down, a nation hit by the Imperium can't even rebuild without being descended on by their neighbors like jackals hungry for easy resources.

Even the superpowers can't stand up to the Imperium. No one can predict where the warship that constitutes it will turn at any time, for one thing. Even if one could, victory is far from assured, and the Imperium's wrath isn't something anyone wants to earn. On the other hand, several governments have approached the Imperium to beg and bargain for their own safety - under the table, of course. But what Imperium plans to do after taking over and/or destroying the world, no one here can say.

"The Imperium is bringing chaos and conflict into the world," declares Setsuna. "So we must eradicate them. It is our duty." Crowe just shakes his head. The truth is, he's as dedicated to his cause as Setsuna is his, in his own way - using the new world order as an excuse to skip on his debt doesn't sit well with his sense of honor, so he's going to keep on piloting the Brasta and following the team looking for trouble. Besides which, his job is hunting DAMons and the Brasta is a machine built for no more or less, so it only makes sense that he stick with the dudes that plan to take on the Imperium. And that's us guys, or Setsuna at least. Celestial Being's on board, and that means Dancouga's along for the ride. The S. M. S. crew won't sit this battle out, and they doubt Jeffrey and the Quarter will either. We've got a team!

So what do you think, Lockon? Am I as good at rallying the troops as your Sumeragi?
Not bad. I almost forgot you're a poor guy with a ridiculous pile of debt.
Yeah, well, just wait until I take down all those new DAMons and their boss.
Wait, if you do that, the Brasta's job will be all over.
Guess you'll be out of a job, Crowe.
Shoulda looked before you made that leap, buddy.
All right then. Let's get Crowe fired, guys.
I will dedicate all my resources to this mission.

:3: But seriously, he really did motivate everyone. Now we just wait for the commanders to decide our next move...

The Imperium is parked over Europe, and according to Veda, several nearby AEU territories have reached out to it. The captains guess that these are lands that aim to use the Imperium's shadow to rebel against the AEU's rule. Just one more thing rocking the boat.

Jeffrey changes the subject and asks if Sumeragi won't consider joining the Macross fleet. It's obvious Celestial Being is going to challenge the Imperium, but they'll need more firepower than they have. So the Frontier will step in to offer aid, asks Tieria? Well, Jeffrey wouldn't have put it like that. The Frontier is not an outside force intervening; it's a nation of this planet now and must act accordingly. And while, as Cathy objects, Jeffrey has no authority over the fleet, he must do what he thinks is right, and that's to do everything that is in his power to help. His whole crew is behind him, too.

With that decided, Jeffrey plans to ask the owner of the S. M. S. squad (a private force, if you remember) for his support, and has Cathy draw up a report to the fleet's government stating the Quarter's position as liaison between the fleet and the U. N. They all hope that the appearance of a common enemy will unite the planet, but reality doesn't always work out so cleanly, and it's just as possible that the Imperium will stoke the fires of war...

The alarm warns the crew of an approaching mass - and it's DAMons! Jeffrey orders all units to scramble...

Chapter 24: Irreconcilable Differences
(space route)

Yep, Damons. Just Bulldamons and Damons, though. It's a little surprising that they'd chase us all the way out to space, but maybe Ime just wants Crowe's head that much.

There's just enough room to deploy everyone. Not much point not doing that.

Crowe is always ready to crush some Damons, and the rest of the gang wants to show the Imperium that some of the planet is still prepared to fight them.

So the mission is clearing the pack of Damons in three turns, using that bit of language that says there's more on the way ("wipe out the enemies," not "finish the map").

I guess I'll spread out east and south and then meet back up in the middle.

Luckily, the team is set up pretty well to divide into Celestial Being and Skull teams. I suppose Dancouga should be with Celestial Being, but the S. M. S. is in greater need of Dancouga's firepower (whenever Dancouga comes online, anyway) and Celestial Being of Crowe's support.

And after a couple of kills, Feldt notices a brief blip on the radar. It vanished pretty quickly and isn't doing anything particular. Sumeragi wonders if someone is watching us from the shadows.

The more you hold a human down, the higher they end up flying. Or at least, that's what we do around here.
Don't underestimate us, Imperium! We're going to take you out!

So here's the CB side.

The Damons all move in, but nothing engaging happens.

But see, we've clustered into two definite skirmishes.

Team Macross is really support heavy, so...

Best to use that against the Bulldamons.

Apparently this particular move is called "Formation M. M. Jenius." I like it.

And it works.

Let's start taking out the Damons from the edges inward.

Bobby learns Mercy.

Also, Aoi can keep Michel company. (That's the other advantage to swapping her and Crowe.)

And hey, I almost forgot Ozma gets two turns (because I do not use these people much).

On the other Bulldamon front, Setsuna wastes two at once with both Lockon and Crowe.

The other Meisters also attack with Lockon and Crowe.

And for their hat trick, they both blast the one Bulldamon that probably thought it was safe.

Will they all die?

I... guess not.

gently caress it.

That's all the Damons, but something else is approaching.

It's a squad of the U. N. forces, including OZ's new Tauros suits. They must have been watching this whole time!

Jeffrey tries to explain that they were attacked by Damon and made a truce with Celestial Being to defend themselves, but the OZ commander refuses to hear it. Jeffrey then protests that he's got cover from the Peacekeeping Council to maintain a truce with CB for the purpose of resisting the Imperium. But that's not going to stop the feddies, who have orders from on high to crush any terrorists they run across. In fact, our GOONZ think it's a pretty good bet that they just waited for us to take out the Damons, figuring we'd be easier to wipe up after the battle.

It's a reason to fight if anything is, but Sumeragi holds her forces back. Mounting an attack would reflect badly on Jeffrey's standing with the WPC - and besides, if our real enemy is the Imperium, there's nothing to be gained by picking on Earth's best and brightest.

Unfortunately, the choice is taken out of her hands. But those robots certainly weren't shot down by any of us.

It's more Gundams, and they've got the R-Daigun with them! (It's those guys from the last future chapter.)

The leader introduces himself as the Meister of Gundam Throne Ein, Johan Trinity, and he says he's come to "help us." All of them open fire.

Shoot all you've got, Nena! Don't hold anything back!
Ahahaha! Come on, Mihael, when have I ever held back?

Welp, so much for negotiations. The feddies think we were stalling for our sneak attack, naturally assume the Thrones are GOONZ Gundams, and open fire. I guess we have no choice but to defend ourselves, but we can try to avoid shooting cockpits. Right?

Setsuna's mind is blown, again, to find out that other Meisters exist.

So yeah, kill disable all enemies.

The Trinities are on our side as CPU-controlled allies. Though, as Crowe says, "not that we're not grateful for the help, but with friends like these..."

Anyway, since I'm a dumb with my weaponless battleship, the charge at OZ will have to be led by Crowe and Setsuna alone.

You guys must have a lot of time on your hands to stalk little old us around.
Why don't you spend it fighting the Imperium? We'd be glad to lend you a hand!

This world has no God. That is why I became Gundam.
All who desire war are my enemies!

And that's all CB can offer.

Meanwhile, the rest of these dudes need to intercept the other corner. The NPCs will probably beat them to it, but I can afford each of them a fight or two.

In this world of increasing chaos, these halfhearted methods can no longer bring Aeolia's plan to fruition.
Our mission must be our top and only priority. Everything else is expendable.

You assholes thought you could beat Celestial Being after they got all tired out on those Damons? Well, you were dead wrong!
We're not pathetic softies like they are! Mihael Trinity! Exterminate!

(because I guess he's a Dalek)

One dead guy. Whoops.

Nena and Red Dancouga just move.

Standing Tortoises are actually kind of tough.

But Scopedogs aren't!

(My mission is to defeat Dancouga Nova. I shouldn't be doing this.)

But she can't counterattack.

I hope you're not thinking the Drei's just a support unit, because if you are, you're in for a nasty surprise!
Destroy him! Destroy him!
Hee hee hee! I was going to smash him whether you said to or not!

She can't counterattack either.

Well, right after, Nena gets into a proper duel, so here.

Finally, we get to see the Taurus in action, and...

they're not that impressive.

The rest of them get shot and that's it.

I should probably try and keep some of these dudes from getting murdered.

So here's the thing... I know you guys consider us and the Meisters to be, like, enemies...
But think about who your real enemy is! If you can't figure that out, why are you even soldiers?

(Kurara learns Snipe. It'll probably be useful.)

The Imperium is taking over the world! Why are you wasting time doing this?
Don't you know who our real enemies are? Or are you our enemies too?

Alto's pretty mad.

On the other side, the Meisters take out all those wonderful new Taurus.

Tieria learns Analyze. Nice, and flavorful.

Setsuna and Crowe move in to help the S. M. S. team, though I don't know if they'll make it in time to do any good with the Trinities having a party over there.

And... yep. That's two dead guys with blood on my hands, but that many robots closer to the end of the chapter.

Oh, there are a couple of ATs left. One of them tries to damage Ptolemaios.

The other isn't even that smart.

And one more corpse. The other ones hit Nena, but survived, so I'll "save" them.

See? Perfectly safe.

Might as well end it with some overkill.

Never mind, that soldier's going to live--

NOPE.

Anyway, that's the last of them for real. Jeffrey issues the orders to fire an S. O. S. beacon and then clear out of the area. The Trinities point out that leaving them alive at all, let alone helping them escape, could be dangerous in its own right, but Setsuna glares them down, as does Crowe. Besides, if we're talking about causing problems for us, that started with the Trinities' "help" itself.

Johan requests permission to dock with the Ptolemy, where we can continue the conversation. Sumeragi has some questions for them herself, so let's let them on this once. But the red Dancouga skips the area rather than join the circle.

But there's something wrong with those new Gundams. Veda doesn't know of them, nor did Feldt ever hear anything from her Gundam engineer parents. And they're not exactly ours, either; they aren't Colony-flavor Gundams, but they're using GN Particles, though their solar furnaces are of a different make.

That's why Sumeragi's let them on - she wants to hear their story from their own mouths, and without anyone outside of Celestial Being in the room.

And here they are - Johan, Mihael, and Nena Trinity, a set of young blood siblings and Meisters of the Gundam Throne Ein, Zwei, and Drei, respectively. Nena asks who was in the Exia, and on finding out, moves in for a quick kiss! Setsuna pushes her away, and Mihael threatens to beat his face in as Nena's Haro eggs him on. Johan has to pull him back.

While all this is going on, Lockon's Haro recognizes Nena's as its big brother, but the black Haro doesn't recognize the little one.

But down to business. Johan refuses to answer any of Sumeragi's queries - he says their mission is so secret that he can't. But Mihael does say that it's doing something about Celestial Being's roundabout, weaksauce tactics. Tieria storms out to commune with Veda, and Nena gets bored and wanders off to wander around the ship.

She asks if Setsuna wants to come with her, but Setsuna just glares. For a moment, Nena goes dark and tells him not to make her mad.

Anyway, the new Meisters have the same endgame as Celestial Being: world peace. And whatever happened between us and R-Daigun before, it's on their side now. Well, on their side in the same sense that we're on GOONZ' side, at any rate. Well, if he's going to be cryptic, there's no point pressing further.

But what Sumeragi is really curious about, she says, is how determined they are to end war. Johan says they're just as determined as us; Mihael throws in that we're the ones that would be holding them back. "What about it, ya half-baked lab kid?" he taunts Allelujah, and once again Johan has to shut him up.

But while Mihael may be a douchebag, Johan agrees with his point. Sumeragi's whole interfering-in-war strategy alone isn't going anywhere, so the Trinities are going to implement their own version of it - though we're free to keep doing our thing if we want. We'll see who gets the results Aeolia Schenberg intended. Setsuna wonders if they're "truly Gundam"...

poo poo, I guess Setsuna should have kept an eye on Nena. By the time Tieria gets to Veda's room, she's already there. "How did you get in here?" he demands. "The door," she replies, and skips away.

The Macross bridge crew sees the Throne team departing the Ptolemy. They figure the Ptolemy's crew must have been shaken up by the whole thing - especially Setsuna, figures Bobby, since we all know how he feels about Gundams. (By the way, Bobby is Team Tieria. "His makeup looks gorgeous," he claims.)

Tanaka's calling space to check up on us. Truth be told, the surface hasn't been a sunny day either, though. Speaking of the surface, though, there's something down there we've got to see. Apparently, a series of dimensional quakes on the Dark Continent have been coughing up people with weapons from another world into ours, and the Crushers have been investigating them. They might happen up in orbit, too, so he wants us to stay alert. All we know about these foreigners is that they all belong to a group known as... ZEUTH.

NEXT CHAPTER: Did you think we were done with Gundams? Too bad!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yesssss Gundamsplosion! Setsuna is going to love this route. :getin:

Alas, I'm not a huge fan of the other Celestial Being Gundams other than Zwei - the greatsword is nice and I always love me some funnels. I like the other Celestial Being as a plot device, though - in the original series, much like here, they just sort of show up out of nowhere to bail the party out of a jam before saying "Oh yeah we're part of the plan too, didn't you know?" before making vague threats and snooping around. It's when the show starts really implying that Celestial Being's plan might not end anywhere close to how they'd hoped, and it's where Season 1 starts building to one of the cooler and more intense finales in Gundam imo.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Caphi posted:

All right then. Let's get Crowe fired, guys.
I will dedicate all my resources to this mission.

Between this and the earlier "YOU MUST BECOME GUNDAM," the writers really know how to handle the relative stoics of the group. :allears: I'm glad -- "comedic seriousness" is one of my favorite humor tropes, and I love to see it done well.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Formation MM Jenius is probably a reference to Max and Milia Jenius, the human and Meltradi couple who got married and were major characters in the original Macross and Macross 7. However when Max and Milia teamed up they were both in Valkyries, Milia had stopped flying her Queadlun Rau at this point. It's also a full-fledged combination attack between Klan and Michael in SRW UX.

And speaking of Valkyries I absolutely love the Dynamic Kill animation with Alto where he shoves the barrel of his Gunpod into the enemy and goes full auto, it's pretty drat :black101:.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Omnicrom posted:

Formation MM Jenius is probably a reference to Max and Milia Jenius, the human and Meltradi couple who got married and were major characters in the original Macross and Macross 7. However when Max and Milia teamed up they were both in Valkyries, Milia had stopped flying her Queadlun Rau at this point. It's also a full-fledged combination attack between Klan and Michael in SRW UX.

And speaking of Valkyries I absolutely love the Dynamic Kill animation with Alto where he shoves the barrel of his Gunpod into the enemy and goes full auto, it's pretty drat :black101:.

Just to cement the refrence, Max flew a blue Valkrie and Milia had bright red power armor.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Omnicrom posted:

Yeah, I know. And I'm going to go out on a limb and guess Michel calls any support he does for Klan "Formation M. M. Jenius" because it's a character-specific supporting line and no more. Although if you're supporting with Michel, there's an extremely high chance it's going to involve the sniper rifle in some capacity regardless.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...

Omnicrom posted:

However when Max and Milia teamed up they were both in Valkyries, Milia had stopped flying her Queadlun Rau at this point.

Isn't there a secret you can do in Alpha where Max has himself reverse-micronized so they both fly Queadlun-Raus?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Wounded Land posted:

Isn't there a secret you can do in Alpha where Max has himself reverse-micronized so they both fly Queadlun-Raus?
Yes, there is. I forget what the requirements are, but what you essentially get is DYRL!Max, where he does exactly that.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Wounded Land posted:

Yes, though only very late in the game and if you do that you can't get the Armored Valkyrie or the Destroid Monster as units as they have mutually exclusive flags. Alpha also lets you choose whether Hikaru gets together with Misa or Minmei in the end.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Oh god Setsuna is just precious. :3: He's really become one of my favorite characters. I think I'm gonna have to watch 00 at some point in the future, even though I know he won't be nearly as :3: in the show.

Caphi, I've been binging on mecha shows the past couple of months, and this LP has been one of the big causes. I'm not certain whether to thank you or not.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Viola the Mad posted:

Oh god Setsuna is just precious. :3: He's really become one of my favorite characters. I think I'm gonna have to watch 00 at some point in the future, even though I know he won't be nearly as :3: in the show.

Caphi, I've been binging on mecha shows the past couple of months, and this LP has been one of the big causes. I'm not certain whether to thank you or not.

You really should watch 00. The first season is actually really good - and as I've said before its finale is one of my favorite sequences in Gundam. The second season loses a lot of the complexity and intruige that the first had, but I thought it was still competent as Non-UC Gundam goes - I liked the action sequences, and the music and animation were still generally quite good.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Caphi posted:

Bobby learns Mercy.

Looking through the update again and I just noticed that this was a thing.

Tell me, are you going to do that incredibly cheap thing with the Macross Quarter and Chirico that basically turns the latter into an untouchable death god at some point?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Yeah the first half of 00 (covered in this game) is much better than the second season, though the character interactions aren't as good as in this game. Crowe fits really well with the CB crew, and Heero & Setsuna BFFs is obviously neither in the show. For the most part, you're going to like the scenes with the rivals like Graham or Sergei more, but around this point it becomes obvious that this is intentional.

While I'm not a fan of the first few episodes following the debut of the Thrones, their actions led to the show going from good to great with one of the best climaxes in Gundam all around. So all is good.

SaitoBatch
Jun 16, 2009
So here's my question, can someone explain how ATs can go into space and not utterly suck? I honestly want to call BS, but I know your team can do it with not space mechas like Arm Slaves in other SRT games.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

SaitoBatch posted:

So here's my question, can someone explain how ATs can go into space and not utterly suck? I honestly want to call BS, but I know your team can do it with not space mechas like Arm Slaves in other SRT games.

I'm no good at SRW (haven't even finished OG), but I presume one would use adaptor parts (Thruster Module it was called? Not sure), that would raise the AT's Space rating to A (or S?).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SaitoBatch posted:

How the hell can Knightmares work in space? Or Dai-Guard? Or that one dude in Linebarrels who's just a dude on foot?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

How the hell can Knightmares work in space? Or Dai-Guard? Or that one dude in Linebarrels who's just a dude on foot?
Jack Smith has a logical plot point for why he can hop into space without consequences. He's a human-sized Arma, so technically he qualifies as a cyborg, meaning he can get away with running around in space. Granted, he's got a B rank in space to offset this, but still. It's the same reason the Iczers and Atross are able to do the same: they're alien lesbian androids.

SaitoBatch posted:

Most SRWs have a one-scene wonder moment where a chief mechanic from a featured series explains to the mech pilots with space-flight issues that there is now a bullshit reason for how they have gotten around the problem. In the past, this role usually falls to Astionage Mendoz of Zeta Gundam fame. To date, Astionage is responsible for: Aura Battlers, EVAs, Megadueces (okay, just Big O, but nitpicks), and Walker Machines (Z1 only. In Alpha Gaiden, the Xabungle cast are just told to throw on space suits and do it live) having space flight capabilites. Uribitake in J handled the Arm Slaves while GGG did the same in W, and Sakon from Gaiking: LoDM is responsible for the Zoids in K and I believe the Fafners as well.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

Yes, though only very late in the game and if you do that you can't get the Armored Valkyrie or the Destroid Monster as units as they have mutually exclusive flags. Alpha also lets you choose whether Hikaru gets together with Misa or Minmei in the end.

They actually aren't mutually exclusive, it's just impossible to miss the extras if you get VF-1 Milia. Oddly enough, Max's Queadlun-Rau is a lot stronger than Milia's, even though neither has any upgrades.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

AradoBalanga posted:

Jack Smith has a logical plot point for why he can hop into space without consequences. He's a human-sized Arma, so technically he qualifies as a cyborg, meaning he can get away with running around in space. Granted, he's got a B rank in space to offset this, but still. It's the same reason the Iczers and Atross are able to do the same: they're alien lesbian androids.

Most SRWs have a one-scene wonder moment where a chief mechanic from a featured series explains to the mech pilots with space-flight issues that there is now a bullshit reason for how they have gotten around the problem. In the past, this role usually falls to Astionage Mendoz of Zeta Gundam fame. To date, Astionage is responsible for: Aura Battlers, EVAs, Megadueces (okay, just Big O, but nitpicks), and Walker Machines (Z1 only. In Alpha Gaiden, the Xabungle cast are just told to throw on space suits and do it live) having space flight capabilites. Uribitake in J handled the Arm Slaves while GGG did the same in W, and Sakon from Gaiking: LoDM is responsible for the Zoids in K and I believe the Fafners as well.

Besides, it's not actually THAT hard to maneuver in space. Just slap on some thrusters, life support, and oxygen for combustion weapons and you're set.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jegan posted:

They actually aren't mutually exclusive, it's just impossible to miss the extras if you get VF-1 Milia. Oddly enough, Max's Queadlun-Rau is a lot stronger than Milia's, even though neither has any upgrades.

That's because Max. That's literally all the reason required. Dude is seriously OP.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

SaitoBatch posted:

Serperoth posted:

I'm no good at SRW (haven't even finished OG), but I presume one would use adaptor parts (Thruster Module it was called? Not sure), that would raise the AT's Space rating to A (or S?).

Actually, ATs have in-universe (as in, from VOTOMs) space adaptor parts, and some ATs are specifically designed for space combat. After all, the show doesn't just take place on one planet, and though SRW doesn't really go out of its way to make it obvious, the pilot suits also double as space suits.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

I'd like to imagine the Knightmares just shoot their slash harkens out and pull themselves to their targets like outer space Spider-Men.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

TwoPair posted:

I'd like to imagine the Knightmares just shoot their slash harkens out and pull themselves to their targets like outer space Spider-Men.

This is basically how Big O got around in space missions in Z1, actually. All his melee attacks in Space terrain have the animation changed so that he shoots out his grappling Anchor to either reel in his opponent or pull himself in. It's one of those nice touches.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

This is basically how Big O got around in space missions in Z1, actually. All his melee attacks in Space terrain have the animation changed so that he shoots out his grappling Anchor to either reel in his opponent or pull himself in. It's one of those nice touches.
Z2 Animations have some nice touches too. Dai-Guard has about 50 thrusters stuck to him, if I remember right.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

Z2 Animations have some nice touches too. Dai-Guard has about 50 thrusters stuck to him, if I remember right.
There's also one of Dai-Guard's Ground-to-Air attack variations where Akagi does the Improvised Rocket Punch first, then perfoms the normal attack.

Granted, the Improvised Rocket Punch should have been its own separate attack. :colbert:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

So it turns out Alejandro didn't know about the latest Gundams either - they're above his Veda clearance as an Observer. Even now, all he's gathered is their name, Gundam Throne, and the name of their pilots, the Trinities. Liu-Min asks if he believes they're part of the Plan. All he can say is that they are definitely piloting Gundams, so it doesn't seem like there's another interpretation.

Question for her, then - what action, if any, does Celestial Being plan to take against the Imperium? That's a trickier question; they're still being integrated into the plan, but whatever the result is, she's sure that nothing isn't an option on the table. Alejandro agrees...

but after she hangs up, wonders if she suspects what he's doing. Ribbons assures him that it doesn't matter. Even if she or anyone else knew, no one can stop his plan now. His imitation solar furnaces will guide the world on his plan. And he has the information Ribbons gave him to thank. It wasn't his plan to have come into contact with Ribbons, nor become a Celestial Being observer, but it was certainly to his great fortune. It gave him partners in his quest to "guide the world."

But no more than that, no. He'll lay down the framework, and then merely observe, as his title says. Those who overextend always fall. "Like the loathsome old Chairman of the WPC..."

We haven't learned anything about the Thrones over here either, and this bunch hasn't forgotten their ground rule: everyone has their secrets, and it's not nice to pry. But it sounded like they were going to return to Celestial Being's roots and crush both sides in any conflict that arises. The thing is, there's a reason Celestial Being changed its tactics. Times have changed, and right now, destroying a country's military force just leaves it wide open for invasion by its neighbors, as well as attacks from Invaders, Beastmen, and Damons. Team Throne clearly doesn't get that, or more likely care, so all we can do is try to fight back the monsters and terrorists and make the world a little bit better.

If Team Throne is going to be Celestial Being Classic, though, Crowe would like them to take a page from Celestial Being several chapters ago and destroy the Imperium for their next destroy-military-force trick. He'd like them to, but he knows quite well that it'll take far more than that to even challenge the Imperium. Far more than we have here, even.

"So your objective judgment is we should just lie down and surrender?" snaps Alto, but Crowe points out that he only said it would take more than we have now. There are many ways to expand our influence - upgrading our weapons, recruiting new soldiers, even training ourselves as pilots (this conversation seems familiar). For instance, there's that Asakim dude. He may be from another universe, but he helped us fight the Damons once. Maybe he'll do it again. "The Imperium brought in that King of Destruction dude," Sakuya points out. "Why don't we get a guy from another universe?"

Crowe doesn't like the idea, even when Klan reminds him that they already have soldiers from another universe: the Frontier fleet. And it sounds like the Crushers have taken in a unit from ZEUTH too, a big lug of a super robot. Although, to be fair, they can't say that ZEUTH will just slot in nicely under GOONZ, or that the soldiers will even stick around willingly, or that if ZEUTH robots are so impressive, someone less noble won't try to snatch them up first.

Right about this time, the scramble alarm sounds. The Quarter's detected a strong bend in space, maybe even strong enough to suggest a full-fledged dimensional quake. And if it's a quake, there's a pretty good chance we'll be having visitors. The question is whether they're friendly; our two ships are heading in to investigate...

Chapter 25: New Visitors
(space route)

Aw, son of a bitch. Setsuna's not going to like this.

At least these people were actually in their robots when they got whisked away. Out on patrol, they suddenly lost contact with their ship, can't establish their location, you know the drill.

Oh look, it's OZ! The commander has mistaken these Gundams for more new Celestial Being Gundams and wants blood for what "we" did to his squad. Obviously, Team SEED has no idea what he's talking about. They try to respond, but the commander isn't stupid. He recognizes a Gundam when he sees one and he knows exactly what that means.

Shinn powers up to defend himself, but Athrun stops him. "Of all people, you should know what happens when you shoot first and communicate later!" That hits home, and they ask the OZ soldiers to lower their weapons as well, so they can talk things out.

But a pack of Damons warps in and chomps the entire Taurus squad, then turns on the ZEUTH Gundams. Even Jesus and Aslan know there's no point in hailing mindless monsters, and they won't let us escape, so there's only one option:

Kill 'em all, in four turns, with the sole Rhinodamon coming last. (The Rhinodamon is the only actual victory goal; it's one of these stages.)

Destiny Gundam (Shinn Asuka)
Skills
SEED
Block
Morale
Spirits
Focus
Accel
Sense
Traits
VPS Armor
EN Regen S
Double Image
Blade
Shield
Weapons
17.5mm CIWS (10 EN, mobility down)
High Power Beam Rifle (8 ammo)
Flash Edge II (5 EN)
High Power Long-Range Beam Cannon (35 EN)
Arondight (40 EN, 110 Will)
Ace Bonus: Evasion +15%. Deals 1.1x damage with counterattacks.

Generally, a pretty standard-issue Gundam loadout with some SEED-specific goodies. The SEED skill activates at 130 Will (surprise!) and boosts the pilot's damage by 10% and his accuracy, evasion, and critical rates by 20%. Variable Phase Shift Armor absorbs 2000 damage from any attack that isn't a beam weapon (but drains 10 EN with every blow). And I think the N-Jammer Canceller was its own trait in Alpha 3, but now it's just some standard EN regeneration.

Speaking of beam weapons, look at all those. This was much more of an asset in Z, when enemies came with their own VPS plating. (The CIWS, on the other hand, is just SEED's name for the terrible head vulcan every Gundam ever has.)

"Double Image" works like Duo's Jammer and Hayato's Getter Vision, giving Shinn a flat 50% chance of completely evading any attack independent of his regular evasion (but only at 130 Will).

The Destiny's most powerful attack was the Full Weapon Combination, which is one of those "use all the weapons" attacks, and he's just flat out lost it for some reason.

Oh, and all the weapons have their full official names spelled out in the details. For trivia, I guess.

This may be another universe, but I'm not going to just lie down and let it kill me!
I still have things to do! I can't die here!

Flash Edge.

Force Impulse Gundam (Lunamaria Hawke)
Skills
Prevail L4
Block
Offensive Support L3
Spirits
Strike
Invincible
Gain
Traits
VPS Armor
Blade
Shield
Weapons
20mm CIWS (10 EN, mobility down)
Beam Saber (5 EN)
Excalibur (30 EN, 110 Will)
Ace Bonus: The "Strike" Spirit Command costs 15 SP.

Yes, it's a lesser version of the Destiny. It was, in fact, Shinn's former suit that got passed down to Lunamaria when he got the Destiny.

In Z, as here, Lunamaria's Strike Spirit costs a prohibitive and insulting 30 SP. Luckily, in this game, her Ace bonus makes it more manageable, and in Restoration she just hits constantly at 130 Will.

Impulse can't switch packs anymore, but I'm not sure it matters.

It was just a routine patrol. We had no idea it would turn into this...
But we'll fight! Even if they're monsters, we won't let them beat us!

Strike Freedom Gundam (Kira Yamato)
Skills
SEED
Block
Counter L6
Spirits
Sense
Focus
Mercy
Traits
VPS Armor
EN Regen S
Blade
Shield
Weapons
31mm CIWS (10 EN, mobility down)
Beam Saber (5 EN)
Super Dragoon (2 ammo, 140 Will, MAP, ignore size)
Calidus (35 EN)
Dragoons Full Burst (50 EN, 130 Will)
Ace Bonus: Deals 1.1x damage with ranged weapons.

These suits like using lots of EN.

Kira and Athrun form a pair, and the Freedom is the gunner of the two. I am no longer disappointed that he doesn't come with Hit & Away. Other than that, SEED blah blah. Kira has lost his combination attacks with the battleship Eternal involving the plug-in MA Meteor.

Also, Mercy! No one is surprised.

An unknown world with unknown enemies...
But we can't falter! We have to focus on surviving!

Infinite Justice Gundam (Athrun Zala)
Skills
SEED
Block
Defensive Support L2
Spirits
Sense
Focus
Traits
VPS Armor
EN Regen S
Blade
Shield
Weapons
17.5mm CIWS (10 EN, mobility down)
Shining Edge (6 ammo)
Beam Saber (5 EN)
Fatum-01 (40 EN, 110 Will)
Ace Bonus: Deals 1.1x damage with melee weapons.

The mirror image of Kira in most ways. Like Freedom, it also had a Meteor armor that it left behind in its home universe.

Wherever this is, it doesn't change my responsibility as commander!
I'll protect Kira, and Shinn, and Lunamaria!

It was a fair first turn.

So there's one...

And two.

Hey, it's more of Shinn's friends! Camille and Fa were pulled into a quake, same as Athrun's team. They want to know what's up with the Damons, but all Athrun knows is that they're mindless, hungry monsters. Which is to say, they could use a hand. Shinn's really glad to have Camille at his back, too, though they both wish it was under... better circumstances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63LCEDEey_o

The attack continues, and Athrun has the fastest special attack. I suppose the captain may as well take the lead.

The Bulldamons and Rhinodamons stay put. Figures. Anyway, new people!

Zeta Gundam/Waverider (Camille "Is A Manly Name" Bidan)
Skills
Newtype L3
Counter L5
Block
Spirits
Focus
Sense
Spirit
Traits
Blade (Gundam)
Shield (Gundam)
Transform
Weapons
(Gundam)
Vulcan (10 ammo, mobility down)
Grenade Launcher (6 ammo)
Beam Rifle (10 ammo)
Beam Saber (5 EN)
Beam Confuse (20 EN, 110 Will)
Hyper Mega Launcher (40 EN)
Beam Saber Hyper (50 EN, 130 Will, requires Newtype L4, barrier, size)
(Waverider)
Beam Gun (5 EN)
Beam Rifle
Ace Bonus: Deals 1.2x damage with counterattacks; critical rate +20%.

OH LOOK ANOTHER GUNDAM WITH BEAM WEAPONS

(Can't wait to see the look on Setsuna's face)

So the thing to like about Camille, I guess, is that he can fire off that Mega Launcher right out the gate like he just doesn't care. Unfortunately, he is a ZEUTH person and not one of the ones I really like (those are coming up in the next two chapters).

Anyway. Mechanically, Newtype is like Psychic, in that it is actually psychic powers, so it increases the pilot's hit and dodge rates. Also, it extends the range of specific weapons that list it as a requirement. Speaking of which, Zeta had more Newtype weapons by the end of Z. The Hyper Beam Saber was a strong post-movement attack that was almost as good as the Launcher, and he also had the ram move from the end of Zeta. With the Ram attack gone, the saber has stepped up to fill the hole - but Camille's Newtype levels have been damped to the point where he still can't use it for a few levels.

(I lived in a Multiworld. I thought I knew the danger of dimensional quakes. But...)
(That one seemed almost engineered. What's happened to us?)

Methuss (MA) (Fa Yuiri)
Skills
Newtype L1
Repair
Defensive Support L3
Spirits
Vigor
Gain
Trust
Traits
Blade (MS)
Repair
Transform
Weapons
(Gundam)
Beam Saber (5 EN)
Arm Beam Gun (8 ammo, also on MA)
Ace Bonus: The "Rouse" Spirit Command costs 30 SP.

The Methuss is poorly armed and even worse in plane mode, so Fa is about as sidekick as it gets. Her Ace bonus is another benefit for a Spirit command she doesn't have yet which grants 5 Will to any unit on the map, a weaker but shootable Spirit Spirit.

She's going to have to fight at least one Damon anyway, though.

Oh, come on.

(That was a real dimensional quake... I'm shaking with fear...)
(But I have Camille with me. Whatever happens, I can make it through as long as he's here!)

Okay then.

Let's keep this moving...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVrqUnjppk0

Oh, never mind. The Impulse can use Silhouettes, god knows where from.

But more importantly, that's another two kills.

Which means it's time for GOONZ!

Setsuna has no idea what to make of YET MORE GUNDAMS. Tieria does - they must be more like the Trinities. But Crowe has another idea: what if they're those ZEUTH dudes? But this means "Gundams" are coming in from other universes. How, and why? Crowe's suggestion: "In every universe, you boil water in a kettle. Maybe Gundams work the same way." Sure?

ZEUTH has overheard us talking about Gundams, and they're wondering what's going on too. But before we can ask questions, we've got the Damons to deal with. Jeffrey informs the ZEUTHdams that we'll be backing them up, and while they welcome the help, Athrun is suspicious. Those feddies were on the hunt for Gundams, and for all he knows, they meant us.

GOONZ' superior firepower starts chewing through the Damons, charging towards the Rhinodamon. The newcomers can focus on clearing out the lesser Damons.

Fa is beset, and cowers in a corner. At least the Bulldamons are moving, though.

Because the Rhinodamon isn't.

All right, first order of business: Fa flees into the corner and heals herself.

GOONZ STOMP.

Oh yeah, and SEED mode has its own animation like Overskill does. Actually, I think all these animations are from Z - there aren't any new ones in Destruction.

We still have all this stuff on the left.

So everybody take the Damon to your left...

(Shinn SEEDs.)

On to the left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ccYVCzIPgU

And the last one is Camille's.

All Bulldamons thus weakened, Setsuna, with his second turn, takes the first stab at the Rhinodamon.

And that's it.

Huh. These are all the enemies left.

I'm just going to skip over the ones back here.

So today's boss is down, but we're still a long way from the real King, in more ways than one.

But wait! There's another wrinkle in space! A dimension shock - no, a defold!

Man, it's been a while since these guys showed up. Actually, didn't we exterminate them?

The Gundam pilots want to know if our universe is just overrun by monsters.

Anyway, there's nothing for it but to fight!

Or move, at any rate...

And get Fa out of the front lines. Again.

A very productive turn.

The lesser Vajra - the ones in range, anyway, since we started a mile apart and their range is really poor - don't last long.

The big ones are a bit stronger but most of them are in no position to attack either.

So here's the layout.

This wasn't necessary.

Vajra! I'm kind of in the S. M. S. because of you...
But I'm starting to understand who my real enemy is! I can't afford to spend all my energy on you!

Our mission is to defend the Frontier fleet and planet Earth!
Vajra! Whatever you're doing, you won't get away with it as long as we live!

So anyway the Vajra are getting blown up. (Fyi nothing more interesting gameplay-wise is going to happen this chapter.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u63ukl8z-Tc

Okay, one more video for the new guys.

Enemy phase: a lot of this.

And this.

With a little bit of this.

So let's leave it at this.

We're all surprised to see there are still Vajra flying around. If they were warped in along with the Macross waaay back when, why haven't we seen hide nor hair of them until now? Jeffrey suggests checking with the Fleet, where research is being done on a captured Vajra. And on the way, we ought to hear the new arrivals' story, so Jeffrey sends out a message to dock with the ship.

Athrun is still suspicious of GOONZ, but they will admit we got them out of a jam. And Camille still has his suspicions about the quake that swallowed them. After all, his group and Shinn's were on opposite ends of the world, but they were transferred in to the same place...

Together, Jeffrey and Athrun confirm that they have been warped into another universe, and they are indeed looking at each others' "Gundams." Their universes must not be too far apart, but they're far enough that getting back is going to be near impossible - our universe has been researching the dimensional fabric since the first quake 20 years ago, with no luck finding a way to pierce through. (Except for the Imperium, Sumeragi mutters.) That's not good news for our guests, but Kira has hope that something will come up.

Speaking of them, Jeffrey asks them what they know about ZEUTH. It's pretty clear that ZEUTH is them, but all we know about it is it's a common name for a group of aliens and robots that have been warping in across the globe and Earth sphere. Our allies - that is, the Crushers - have already taken in some ZEUTH soldiers, who we now know are Athrun's and Camille's teammates.

Seeing as we represent a group that is working to prevent global conflict, we would like the alien Gundams to remain with us for the time being, explains Jeffrey. Shinn starts to protest that our Gundams are, apparently, terrorists, but Athrun silences him. There's too much they don't know about our place in this world and the state of the larger global stage to tip their hand just yet. Kira, on the other hand, still trusts us completely after having saved his bacon and eagerly agrees to cooperate. "I think they're better than the ones that attacked without even asking questions, at least," he says, smiling beatifically. Camille agrees - at least for now, they'll accept our protection until they get their bearings in this universe and rendezvous with their separated allies. In the meantime, they are free to make themselves at home on our mothership.

Shinn's still a little antsy, Luna's just glad to be safe, and Camille yet again wonders about the strangeness of that quake. "And if that's true, Amuro and Lt. Quattro might have been sucked in too..." Kira has also realized that the quake has transported ZEUTH members with pinpoint precision, and wonders the same thing about Lacus.

And once again, it's OZ HQ in Paris. Lady has brought Treize a couple of ZEUTH arrivals of their own, and the soldiers responsible were very careful not to pick a fight under Treize's explicit orders. "Good," he says. "We haven't wasted any of my soldiers' lives." See, he knows that these men are champions from another reality.

Yeah, these guys. Like GOONZ, he's taking them under his "protection," but Quattro knows the score. No, really, though, Treize wants them to be his guests of honor. "Why?" demands Quattro. "To settle my doubts," replies Treize. "I don't believe our meeting like this was mere chance. No, this was destined, and I intend to find out why."

"I want you," he explains, "to tell me what this universe looks like to your eyes." Amuro and Quattro both sense a powerful sense of purpose in Treize, but where that road leads... all Treize will say is that he prays their meeting will change the world.

The next two chapters are my absolute favorite ZEUTH characters. It'll be fun!

Caphi fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 22, 2013

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Say what you will about its pilot, but I loving love Strike Freedom. Mostly because I love me some funnels and dynamic kills, and Kira's dragoons provide both in spades - and in Z1 (I haven't gotten this far in this game) they were drat good to boot.

The Impulse was actually really good in the first half of Z1, too. As Caphi said, a lot of the major Seed enemies have the Phase Shift armor that all but nullifies non-beam attacks early in the game before you get Valor or absurdly high attack power, and the Seed units provided a reliable source of beam weapons that made them invaluable for taking them down. Once you started getting midseason upgrades, however, you started getting enough firepower that this advantage lost some of its meaning.

Also, I'm beginning to hate how they just arbitrarily remove some of each unit's strongest attacks. Especially for Kamille - the Waverider Crash is one of my favorite finishers of all time, and there's no real reason for Kamille to have forgotten how to get real mad and ram somebody.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Gundams, Gundams everywhere. It's a good thing Z made such a good job at fixing SEED Destiny's glaring issues or it would've been much harder to tolerate another game with them around.

I like Vestige, though. It's easily my second favorite theme from the series.

As for Zeta Gundam's theme...not so much. In fact, it's easily one of my least favorite ones in both Z2s - the thing just sounds so boring, especially comparing to the other available choice:

Why couldn't this be available, Banpresto? This is pretty much my default choice for Zeta's BGM across all of SRW-dom and they did not keep it for Z2! :rant:

Mind you, SEED Destiny probably lost more BGMs with the game transition than any other ZEUTH series:

This was the proper theme to the Impulse Gundam, as well as the Minerva Battleship (that didn't get brought over).

This here was the proper theme to the combined attacks of the Strike Freedom/Infinite Justice, using the METEOR Packs - it's understandable that they scrapped these since Vestige WAS their default theme, as well as the Destiny's.

Finally, we get to this...

Why, why, why was this BGM left behind? This one was easily one of my favorite songs in Z (only behind Days and Sakura - PROPER Eureka 7 themes) and I can not describe how heartbroken I was when I went into the menu and found that it wasn't there.

Bring it back for Z3, Banpresto. Please... :smith:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

Why, why, why was this BGM left behind? This one was easily one of my favorite songs in Z (only behind Days and Sakura - PROPER Eureka 7 themes) and I can not describe how heartbroken I was when I went into the menu and found that it wasn't there.

Bring it back for Z3, Banpresto. Please... :smith:

No lie, once I got this in Z1 I set it to be the theme for basically all my real robots throughout the SEED finale up until I set everybody's theme to Sakura for the grand finale. Z1's music selection was basically the Best loving Thing.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011
I'm not a huge fan of the Strike Freedom, mostly because I find Kira isn't as dodgy as I feel he should be. Also, I liked the design of the original Freedom, so the Strike Freedom feels a bit like it's trying too hard, I guess.

I have a problem with both the Destiny and the Zeta Gundams in this game, too: they don't seem as awesome as they did in Z1. I'm not entirely certain why this is the case, though the lack of Waverider Crash (and it's awesome accompanying music) partly explains this. But on a more mechanical side of things, they just don't seem as good as they used to be, overall. Oddly, think this has to do with game progression: in Z1, both the Destiny and Zeta were endgame upgrades, and definitely felt like it. Here, you get them right away, and they just seem boring and weaker, I guess.

I also don't like that Kamille doesn't have enough Newtype Levels to properly use the Zeta. Hilariously, this ends up being the case again in Restoration, though in my current playthrough of that, I found a solution to that problem: switching units with a Newtype we've seen, but haven't acquired yet in the LP. And while it's strange not to have Amuro in the Nu Gundam, he's able to use to the Zeta to its fullest right off the bat, while Kamille is able to do the same with the Nu. I also love switching pilots around, and putting them into unusual units, so this mech-swap is extra fun for me.

I also kinda miss the Impulse's pack-switching from Z1, even though it's unnecessary by this point. It was mostly nice as a way to restore energy mid-mission without having to resupply.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hello, SEED cast. And Kamille.

So, as you'd expect, these guys got neutered as well, with the Just-Admit-You're-Gay-For-Each-Other-Already Duo (aka, Kira and Athrun) surviving with the least amount of nerfs. Because of course the Mary Sues get the least amount of nerfs, otherwise you lose the SEED fanboys! *ahem* Kamille and Shinn are a close second, losing the Wave Rider Crash and Full Weapon Combination, respectively. Both are okay in this game...but they now lack the firepower that made them very good in Z1. Lunamaria and the Impulse have lost the most, due to losing both the versatile Blast Silhouette and equally useful Sword Silhouette. And again, what is it with Banpresto and not using the combat knives that the Strike and Impulse both have outside of the units being pack-less? Especially here, when Impulse is heavily neutered due to the gameplay changes, why not add them as an extra attack? Sure, at best they'd be 1-2 or 1-3 range melee attacks, but it'd be SOMETHING for Impulse to have to keep it up with the other units.

Regarding music: Is there some stupid bullshit red tape executive mandate preventing Banpresto from using Zeta Gundam's proper opening or ending themes? We haven't heard any of them since, brace yourselves, ADVANCE AND ALPHA GAIDEN BACK IN 2001. You know, NEARLY 12 YEARS AGO. Hell, Advance Portable CHANGED Zeta's theme to the usual insert BGMs that EVERY. loving. SRW. USES. TO. GODDAMN. DEATH.

If you haven't noticed, I am very very VERY tired of the same old BGMs being used for Zeta Gundam over and over and over and over and OVER AGAIN. Just for once, Banpresto, USE THE loving PROPER OPENING AND ENDING THEMES FOR THIS SHOW! :rant: You were able to do it 12 years ago, so what's changed now?

Okay. *deep breath* SEED Destiny music. Banpresto, stop fellating T.M.Revolution please. Use other themes, like Pride or Bokutachi no Yukue (like you did for ACE:R) or some of the other ending themes like Life Goes On (like you did in UX). Just don't use Wings of Word, please. Set that fucker on fire and beat it to death with an ugly stick. And not just for SEED Destiny. Should you use SEED again, stuff Invoke into a box, punt it into the sun and use themes like Moment or Believe instead. Thank you.

Oh. Fa's here. Ummm....
.....uhhh....
.....:geno:
.....she exists. That's about it. :effort:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
T.M. Revolution is the best, screw you.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
While we're talking music, now that you have Lunamaria, you need to switch her BGM to Triangular. :v:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oblique Angle posted:

While we're talking music, now that you have Lunamaria, you need to switch her BGM to Triangular. :v:

Is this a VA joke I missed?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Speaking of Lunamaria, I wish she was a better unit, because her name is Lunamaria loving Hawke. Someone with a name like that should be piloting a super robot, not the Sloppy Seconds Gundam.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Caphi posted:

Jesus and Aslan
(Camille "Is A Manly Name" Bidan)

I like you Caphi.

As for N-Jammer Cancellers they actually wouldn't be appearing as abilities, the Destiny, S Freedom, and I Justice don't have them installed instead using a non-Fission Hyper Deuterium Nuclear Reactor. N-Jammer Canceller and Hyper Deuterium Reactor both appear as abilities in SRW K, L, and UX where applicable but not in @3 or Z. In both of those latter cases they had standard EN Regeneration like here.

I really don't like the S Freedom that much, I just think the design is kind of bad. It seems weird that its funnels get in the way of its thrusters, I think the combining Beam Rifle seems pointless considering how many other long-range weapons it has ready to go, and that the Chest cannon seems ugly and inelegant. I liked the Freedom's design because it was a snazzy new take on a Heavy Weapon Gundam, but the Strike Freedom to me has lost the Freedom's simplicity and elegance.

As for the Impulse it was a much better unit throughout Z1, it was good early on and was still fairly competitive as a backup as the game progressed. Also I think the reason it can't change packs is because the Minerva isn't here, in Z1 it could only swap silhouettes if you deployed the Minerva. The Impulse can change packs on the fly in the DS games to give it the Blast's cannon and Sword's weaponry as additional attacks, but Banpresto presumably felt that would probably take too much effort for a secondary unit to have that happen in Z2.

I honestly never really got the appeal of "You are similar to me" as a song. Still using only Vestige bugs me, I like Ignited and Zips (from K) and the excellent version of Life Goes On from UX better than Vestige. Still holding out they use Pride someday.

AradoBalanga posted:

Regarding music: Is there some stupid bullshit red tape executive mandate preventing Banpresto from using Zeta Gundam's proper opening or ending themes? We haven't heard any of them since, brace yourselves, ADVANCE AND ALPHA GAIDEN BACK IN 2001. You know, NEARLY 12 YEARS AGO. Hell, Advance Portable CHANGED Zeta's theme to the usual insert BGMs that EVERY. loving. SRW. USES. TO. GODDAMN. DEATH.

Yes. American Composer Neil Sedaka composed the melodies for both openings and the ending and based them on his own music. He got the rights around the year 2000 holds all three songs in a brutal deathgrip and has refused to let anyone use them, it's why the American DVD releases of Zeta Gundam used an instrumental track from the show for the opening, why they're basically in no games at all, and why the openings and endings of Zeta Gundam have Youtube on full copyright Nazi mode fair use be damned. Basically unless he has a change of mind or dies letting someone else snap up the rights we're going to have MS in a Flash and Riders in the Sky as the only Zeta themes into perpetuity. I have no problem with Riders in the Sky but someday I dream that something happens that lets us hear Toki wo Koete again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

T.M. Revolution is the best, screw you.
Considering that since Alpha 3, every SRW with the Cosmic Era has had at least 1 T.M. Revolution song with the exception of Judgment, W, and UX (all three have none), I believe it's a time for a break from using T.M. Revolution.

It's how I feel about Last Impression being driven into the ground non-stop for Endless Waltz. Use White Reflection again, Banpresto. It's not going to bite you.

Edit:

Omnicrom posted:

Yes. American Composer Neil Sedaka composed the melodies for both openings and the ending and based them on his own music. He got the rights around the year 2000 holds all three songs in a brutal deathgrip and has refused to let anyone use them, it's why the American DVD releases of Zeta Gundam used an instrumental track from the show for the opening, why they're basically in no games at all, and why the openings and endings of Zeta Gundam have Youtube on full copyright Nazi mode fair use be damned. Basically unless he has a change of mind or dies letting someone else snap up the rights we're going to have MS in a Flash and Riders in the Sky as the only Zeta themes into perpetuity. I have no problem with Riders in the Sky but someday I dream that something happens that lets us hear Toki wo Koete again.
Ouch. That...that's almost as bad as the redtape clusterfuck regarding Giant Robo.

AradoBalanga fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 29, 2013

• Locked thread