Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Goddamn I love Little Birds. I'd be kind of pissed if someone were taking photos during start up, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Korean brothels are barber shops with extra poles.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Third World Reggin posted:

Korean brothels are barber shops with extra poles.

In our "liberty" ports in Korea, there were always jokes of these and going in to ask for a haircut. A little off the top please.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Triggs posted:

Goddamn I love Little Birds. I'd be kind of pissed if someone were taking photos during start up, though.

Especially with a flash. Especially while wearing my NVGs.

mmtt
May 8, 2009

Why all SF dudes are burly red-haired bearded men ? Is there a specific genetic condition to be a badass SF operator ?

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008

mmtt posted:

Why all SF dudes are burly red-haired bearded men ? Is there a specific genetic condition to be a badass SF operator ?
Well a lot of NG SF are Utah mormons.

WP CURES PALESTINE
Jun 17, 2011
[ASK] ME about :

LYING ABOUT BEING A US MARINE

HATING ON TRANSPEOPLE BUT SECRETLY DATING ONE

CLAIMING TO HAVE PTSD ON MY OKCUPID PROFILE

HAVING A TRIFORCE TATTOO ON MY NECK

mmtt posted:

I've got brown hair but a red beard.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Also bright sun turns brown hair auburn

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Scratch Monkey posted:

Also bright sun turns brown hair auburn

Whelp, now I'll never complain about having to wear a hat outside in uniform again.

Piisamirotta
Oct 30, 2012

The FDF just released a huge number of pictures from the national war archive. Here are two from the battle of Dick Hill.

A soldier aiming an automatic rifle was the description for this one.

And here are some soldiers building a cheval de fris. Improvised weapons and defences were pretty big because we were poor.

Both pictures come from SA-kuva, you can find a shitload more at the website https://www.sa-kuva.fi if you're interested in old photos from the Finnish wars. The descriptions are only in Finnish I think though. The website is pretty slow right now too, they just launched the site and it's getting much traffic.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Check out the crazy booty of war.

World's deadliest drying rack.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Piisamirotta posted:

The FDF just released a huge number of pictures from the national war archive.

Welp, i know what I'm doing this Friday night. Thanks for linking this!

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
If you have an interest in the Winter War you should watch Talvisota aka The Winter War, a state funded film made in the 90's with genuine period equipment, it's absolutely fantastic and can hold a torch to anything made in Hollywood. It was actually required material on my uni's Military History course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Winter_War_(film)

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Apparently one of the finalists for the new Army camo patterns:

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn85094593&docId=SPE20120809143714#docIndex=7&page=1

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It looks like tie-dye and vomit.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
It looks loving stupid and only marginally useful, so I am sure they will go for it.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
Lol.

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
its like someone tried to emulate multicam, but with watercolors

content:

my two favorite planes

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Why not retroactively adopt Flecktarn while you're at it.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I want that Bob Ross camo stuff.

You just know Bob Ross was smashing out piles of dependent pussy when he wasn't killing charlie in countries we never officially entered

gently caress yeah

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

DrCuntmuffins posted:

my two favorite planes

I love the F-4, there is just something about it.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Richard Bong posted:

I love the F-4, there is just something about it.

It reminds me of those tiny plastic jetplanes that came with the bags of army men I used to buy as a kid. :3

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATAMJgRhTNc&fmt=18

You guys haven't seen the, uh, poignant videos the French made of their jets?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Its a sexy aircraft aside from that refueling probe.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Phantom phan checking in. Plane loving rocks. Have some Showtime 100:

gently caress Cunningham and his corrupt rear end, but drat if VF-96 didn't have a damned awesome paint scheme.

Oh, and I forgot.

reagan fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 27, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The F-4 loving owns. I got to meet Bob Pardo when I was at Tyndall, got his autograph. Cool old dude.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Phantom chat -

My father in law flew RAF Phantoms in the early 80s. They did low-level intercepts over the North Sea, because the Spey engined Phantoms did not perform well at altitude (I guess Lightnings did high level stuff). But they were very, very fast on the deck. The North Sea is apparently a lovely flying environment especially at low level, because there is often no distinguishable horizon, so if you are performing an intercept at or near the speed of sound, below 500', you really need to be on the ball. They did this at night of course, too. Since he said a standard way to gain position on the target was to perform a lag roll, it was a rush and dangerous as hell. One of his first flights with the RAF (he was on exchange) went out as a four ship but came back as a three ship when one of the guys, the flight commander, rolled himself into the ocean at 600kts. My mother-in-law asked if it was going to be an open casket funeral. Uh, no.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If only the F-35 can live up to what the F-4 Phantom actually did.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ded posted:

It might have some use as a target drone :v:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O3Onyas984

:bustem:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Can't they just strap a gunpod and a couple of hellfires on a V-22 and call it a day?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Frosted Flake posted:

Can't they just strap a gunpod and a couple of hellfires on a V-22 and call it a day?

Uh... where?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

But that wouldn't be a massive decade-long boondoggle.

Also that /\/\

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

ded posted:

Get it's rear end kicked reliably by fighters from the previous generation while being gorgeous as gently caress?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Booblord Zagats posted:

Get it's rear end kicked reliably by fighters from the previous generation while being gorgeous as gently caress?

Until gunpods and Top Gun.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

Uh... where?

They figured out how to make an aircraft's machine gun not hit its own propeller before the US even joined in WWI.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Godholio posted:

They figured out how to make an aircraft's machine gun not hit its own propeller before the US even joined in WWI.

I imagine you could have missile racks angled down to clear the prop? Or maybe have the Hellfire drop down and then ignite its motor. I know gently caress all about missiles. :shrug:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's certainly possible. Vietnam-era AIM-7 Sparrows were dropped before ignition (and often didn't light at all, but modern missiles are a bit more reliable). The F-22 (and I assume F-35) actually kick the AIM-120 out of the internal bays.

Edit: This would add a poo poo ton of weight, though. If you wanted to add Hellfires I would have them shoot up and over...I don't know how maneuverable these missiles are, but shooting up would give them a bit wider field of fire at low altitude.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I want nothing more that would add to the awkward awesome that is the Osprey.

• Locked thread