Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

DoktorLoken posted:

I imagine you could have missile racks angled down to clear the prop? Or maybe have the Hellfire drop down and then ignite its motor. I know gently caress all about missiles. :shrug:

Isn't there some sort of guided missile that can be fired from the open cargo ramp of a C-130? Would seem an easy conversion (and therefore unlikely to be adopted)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

ArchangeI posted:

Isn't there some sort of guided missile that can be fired from the open cargo ramp of a C-130? Would seem an easy conversion (and therefore unlikely to be adopted)

Not a C-130, but you get the idea-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPF51fU2Hzs

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Holy poo poo.

:jeb::hf::black101:

That is just metal as gently caress.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

I hate to bug in on the normal gip posters, but holy loving poo poo. I have never seen this. Thank you.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Wasabi the J posted:

Until gunpods and Top Gun.

Gun pods didn't really do anything but make pilots feel a little bolder about engaging. F-4s with gun pods only had 3 confirmed and 3 likely kills. Top gun and adapting tactics from the finger four to the loose-deuce is what really made the kill ratios go back up

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My office launches these for missile targets, I'll see if the video montage is approved for public release. It's pretty rad.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

That's certainly possible. Vietnam-era AIM-7 Sparrows were dropped before ignition (and often didn't light at all, but modern missiles are a bit more reliable). The F-22 (and I assume F-35) actually kick the AIM-120 out of the internal bays.

Edit: This would add a poo poo ton of weight, though. If you wanted to add Hellfires I would have them shoot up and over...I don't know how maneuverable these missiles are, but shooting up would give them a bit wider field of fire at low altitude.

FWIW all stores that don't fire directly off the rail (which is pretty much everything other than Sidewinders, Mavericks, and Hellfires) are forcibly kicked off the pylon, either using cartridge actuated devices (basically a gigantic plunger thing that is powered by a couple of shotgun shell-esque things that smacks into the store and forces it out into the slipstream) or the newer design, which is pneumatic actuated pylons (same concept, just with using pressurized air instead of cartridges.) It wouldn't add that much weight...but if you wanted to put missiles on an Osprey you would probably just utilize a Harvest Hawk-esque system, which leads me to...

ArchangeI posted:

Yup (click for big on the second one):

Ten Griffins out the back and 4 Hellfires on the wing.

Also that Minuteman video owns but I can't believe anyone thought that was a good idea...there is literally nothing about that idea that makes any sense, either from a tactical employment standpoint or a strategic deterrence posture perspective.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Gun pods didn't really do anything but make pilots feel a little bolder about engaging. F-4s with gun pods only had 3 confirmed and 3 likely kills. Top gun and adapting tactics from the finger four to the loose-deuce is what really made the kill ratios go back up

USAF aircraft had a few more kills with 20mm than that (15ish out of 100+ kills, that's counting both gun pods and the integral M61 on the -E) but yeah, improving tactics was primarily responsible for the turnaround. That's also why Navy fighters in general and F-4s in particular had better performance earlier in the war; the AF was behind the power curve there.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Godholio posted:

The F-4 loving owns. I got to meet Bob Pardo when I was at Tyndall, got his autograph. Cool old dude.

Talk about man with huge balls of brass. He came and spoke to my squadron a few weeks ago. He told us all about how the air force tried to cover up that it even happened until 20 years later. To those that aren't aware, the man pushed an F4 out of NVA into Laos with another F4 by pushing the dead engined F4's tail hook with his jets loving canopy. He also had an engine flameout during the push. His reaction! gently caress it let's keep going.

Great guy. Except for the fact that his mere presence canceled our entire flight schedule that day.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
^^^
My older brother has a similar story and complaint from his flight training but it was about Neil Armstrong

iyaayas01 posted:

USAF aircraft had a few more kills with 20mm than that (15ish out of 100+ kills, that's counting both gun pods and the integral M61 on the -E) but yeah, improving tactics was primarily responsible for the turnaround. That's also why Navy fighters in general and F-4s in particular had better performance earlier in the war; the AF was behind the power curve there.

Yeah, the F-105 had a lot of 20mm success, but the F4 community really didn't have that many

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 28, 2013

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Double post but I really want to know the story behind this

https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/csi-publications/csi-studies/studies/vol52no2/iac/an-air-combat-first.html

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

iyaayas01 posted:

Also that Minuteman video owns but I can't believe anyone thought that was a good idea...there is literally nothing about that idea that makes any sense, either from a tactical employment standpoint or a strategic deterrence posture perspective.

Aside from lengthening the already impressive list of "things you can do with a C-130" (yeah, don't care if that's not a C-130 in the video, I'm sure you could do it with one). On a plane that can pick people up from the ground while in flight and land on an aircraft carrier, launching ICBMs fits right in.

e: to piggyback off the last post, are there any records of a C-130 with an air-to-air kill? If a Huey and an EF-111 have kills, I have to imagine a Herc has shot something down, somewhere.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 28, 2013

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Holy hell me too. Sure they were bi-planes, but shooting down two with an AK-47 is pretty badass.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Aside from lengthening the already impressive list of "things you can do with a C-130" (yeah, don't care if that's not a C-130 in the video, I'm sure you could do it with one). On a plane that can pick people up from the ground while in flight and land on an aircraft carrier, launching ICBMs fits right in.

e: to piggyback off the last post, are there any records of a C-130 with an air-to-air kill? If a Huey and an EF-111 have kills, I have to imagine a Herc has shot something down, somewhere.

I don't think the C-130 is big enough. I don't know if any of the C-130 information is classified, but according to Wikipedia the Minuteman is 78,000 pounds and the C-130J-30 can carry 44,000 pounds of payload.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mortabis posted:

I don't think the C-130 is big enough. I don't know if any of the C-130 information is classified, but according to Wikipedia the Minuteman is 78,000 pounds and the C-130J-30 can carry 44,000 pounds of payload.

No, no. You've got it all wrong.

Use the Minuteman to launch the C-130! :jeb:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSFjhWw4DNo&feature=youtube_gdata

Probably the best crazy C-130 idea.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The AC130 is my favorite C-130 idea. Imagine an AC130 with ICBM being shat out the back end.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

Double post but I really want to know the story behind this

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Holy hell me too. Sure they were bi-planes, but shooting down two with an AK-47 is pretty badass.

Booblord's link pretty much covers it. Some Air America contractors in a helo chased down and splashed two NVA troop transports sent to assault Lima Site 85. The next attempt was more succesful

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

The best part of Credible Sport is that technically it would've worked (albeit with some insanely small safety margins); the failure during the test was due to the flight engineer (insert joke about FEs here) getting confused and firing the lower set of braking motors early because he thought they were on the runway (those were only supposed to be ignited on the ground). When he did so it dropped the airspeed effectively to zero, so since they were 10 feet in the air the aircraft basically dropped straight down onto the runway, breaking the wing spar and starting a fire. They were firing it manually during the test because they needed to get more data to further calibrate the computer. If it had gotten through the testing when it was flown operationally all the rocket motor firing timing would've been computer controlled...and I really can't think of a bigger "gently caress you" to Iran than if they had pulled that off: "Oh, Desert One? That was just practice. We just raided your capital, rescued our hostages, and then bundled them into a C-130 which we landed and took off from a soccer stadium. Wanna gently caress with us some more?"

Also the plan called for the Herks to be flown directly to a carrier for the treatment of what was expected to be pretty heavy casualties, so after taking off from a soccer stadium they would've landed on an aircraft carrier...in the same sortie.

The mighty Herk:

Dead Reckoning posted:

Booblord's link pretty much covers it. Some Air America contractors in a helo chased down and splashed two NVA troop transports sent to assault Lima Site 85. The next attempt was more succesful

Not really picture related, but holy poo poo if you haven't read One Day Too Long, you need to. What happened to those guys at LS 85 is infuriating (more specifically, the timeline and justification for leaving them on the mountain way past when they should've been pulled off), and the way their families were treated after the fact is loving shameful.

Here's a painting of the kill in question, for those of you who didn't click on Booblord's link:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

iyaayas01 posted:

The best part of Credible Sport is that technically it would've worked (albeit with some insanely small safety margins); the failure during the test was due to the flight engineer (insert joke about FEs here) getting confused.

Insert story of when my hilarious mistake almost led to the crash of an AWACS.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

holocaust bloopers posted:

Insert story of when my hilarious mistake almost led to the crash of an AWACS.

The failure to reset rudder trim on the three engine touch and go or something else?

I was trying to find a funny AWACS picture but I don't think I can do any better than this.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

iyaayas01 posted:

The failure to reset rudder trim on the three engine touch and go or something else?

I was trying to find a funny AWACS picture but I don't think I can do any better than this.

Yea. All other mistakes just hurt my pride.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

iyaayas01 posted:

I was flying an EP sortie before we went out and did some tactical stuff (that necessitated having a gunner) one morning, and we were doing left-hand patterns. On our first approach, that bird was just sitting there idly as it normally does. About halfway through the EP sortie, I noticed there was no AWACS there anymore. My immediate reaction was "What the gently caress happened to the AWACS" and the pilot, who also hadn't noticed, due to the way we were flying and his concentration on administering the emergencies, went "Holy poo poo, where did it go?" The gunner and copilot never felt it worthwhile to mention that they were using a bulldozer and backhoe to completely destroy that airframe in the middle of our flight. All that was left was a very small pile of crunched up sheet metal.

Also, the story of Lima Site 85 is a very brutal and depressing story, but also one that I think a lot of people need to know. North Vietnamese Army, abandonment, CIA, gunfights, helicopters, and a Chief who gave his life to make sure all of his people got rescued? Yeah, probably one of the most intense Air Force stories ever.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 28, 2013

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

iyaayas01 posted:

Here's a painting of the kill in question, for those of you who didn't click on Booblord's link:

:black101: Hueys

I'm still mad the Army doesn't fly them anymore.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

iyaayas01 posted:

Not really picture related, but holy poo poo if you haven't read One Day Too Long, you need to. What happened to those guys at LS 85 is infuriating (more specifically, the timeline and justification for leaving them on the mountain way past when they should've been pulled off), and the way their families were treated after the fact is loving shameful.

Kickass. Just ordered a copy to read, and then to leave at my shop when I get out in a few months. Lima Site 85 is a pretty important event in AF history, especially in my career field. We maintain the same equipment that Chief Etchberger and the rest of them were responsible for in Laos.

And because it's the picture thread, here's a pic of a GPN-20 radar and a localizer antenna:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iyaayas01 posted:

:golfclap: We were deployed when that happened. There was an initial heads up that there was a crash or crash landing at Nellis, then NOTHING for almost a whole day. So many people thought it was going to be 83-0009, which is disturbing (it was 0008, weirdly enough).

Ikarus posted:

I was flying an EP sortie before we went out and did some tactical stuff (that necessitated having a gunner) one morning, and we were doing left-hand patterns. On our first approach, that bird was just sitting there idly as it normally does. About halfway through the EP sortie, I noticed there was no AWACS there anymore. My immediate reaction was "What the gently caress happened to the AWACS" and the pilot, who also hadn't noticed, due to the way we were flying and his concentration on administering the emergencies, went "Holy poo poo, where did it go?" The gunner and copilot never felt it worthwhile to mention that they were using a bulldozer and backhoe to completely destroy that airframe in the middle of our flight. All that was left was a very small pile of crunched up sheet metal.

What now? Last I heard they were stripping it down to feed all the parts into the spares system, like they did with everything they could recover from the Yukla crash (it's eerie flying on a jet and you see parts inside that have the tail number of a jet that killed everyone on board).

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So for us non-AF nerds what is the significance of that photo? I'm guessing someone did something hilariously stupid and wrecked an airframe?

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

It looks like it landed with the gear still up? Not 100% positive.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

DoktorLoken posted:

So for us non-AF nerds what is the significance of that photo? I'm guessing someone did something hilariously stupid and wrecked an airframe?

Yes. The copilot (a Lt fresh out of training) put it down hard...this is fine on the main gear, and a lot of pilots like to do it because the main gear is beefy as gently caress and supposedly it burns off a lot of momentum and shortens stopping distance (there's a bit of debate over this). The nose gear's another story...and this guy slammed it down. It bounced. He slammed it again. I can't remember if it bounced again, or if it collapsed on the second impact, but the jet skidded down the runway and caught fire in the forward lower compartment below the flight deck and communications stations. There were no serious injuries despite crew leadership directing people to egress through the fire (WTF!). The airframe was a loss, leaving the US with 32.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 28, 2013

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

What happened to the LT?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

What happened to the LT?

He got kicked out of E-3's, somehow convinced someone to give him another go in another airframe, got F-16's, went to WIC as a very senior captain, graduated top of his class and actually got O-4 right out of WIC (usually those dudes are captains but he's been slowed up) but got O-5 BTZ bc, and I'm not making this up, he got his masters from the Kennedy School over @ Harvard and he's going to be taking squadron command in Arizona sometime in the next year.

Actually I made 100% of that up, but would that surprise you anymore than him most likely not being in the USAF anymore?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I've got five years in the Army, not much bullshit surprises me anymore.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Triggs posted:

:black101: Hueys

I'm still mad the Army doesn't fly them anymore.

I don't know about active army, but I know the national guard guys were still flying them for medevac over at Yakima Training Center. I know they were getting some Lakotas in, so they might have replaced them by now.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

There were no serious injuries despite crew leadership directing people to egress through the fire (WTF!).

Hahahahahaha...I had never heard that part of the story before. Oh, AWACS.

Here's a picture of the jet still on the runway, minus the nose gear and with some pretty sweet scorch marks:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

What happened to the LT?

Actually, I don't know. He's most likely a captain by now, since it's unlikely this incident made its way onto his OPR because of the way they're written. They went and made the training pipeline overly complicated because he complained about having too many different instructors at the FTU though. :rolleyes:

I have some better pics of the jet on the runway, but I just played musical hard drives and I'm not sure where they are.

It gets even better: a few months later, we had a nose gear collapse at Tinker. Fortunately the runway was wet and no fire started, again the crew got out. In this case, it was just a crazy loving mechanical failure...a massive support truss in the airframe gave out. That started a chain of landing gear problems that lasted several weeks, though nothing that major happened again. I was only on one of them...the gear wouldn't drop, nothing in the checklist helped, so the FE dropped them manually. We landed, the pilot was good enough to center the aircraft while the rudder was still useful. We stopped on the runway, maintenance came out and "pinned" the gear down so they couldn't retract or collapse, and we started to taxi back to the parking area (the bird cage). We rolled like 10 or 20 feet, stopped, and heard the pilot call for buses. Turns out we had no nosewheel steering, and he didn't know about it until we tried to turn off the active runway.

As far as egressing through the fire, we had a wing commanders call or safety day or something...this is when we got the story about both major gear incidents (the pictures of the Tinker collapse were cool). I think it was the ASO that stood up on the stage and defended the decision to go out through flames...the rear egress slide was high off the ground because of the angle the jet was resting at (makes sense). When asked why they didn't go out through the overwing hatches, his answer was basically "Well nobody got hurt so we did it right."

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Actually, I don't know. He's most likely a captain by now, since it's unlikely this incident made its way onto his OPR because of the way they're written.

I know it probably wouldn't impact his OPR/promotion poo poo, but he would've at least had something put in his FEF, right?

TheOtherGypsy
Apr 6, 2004

iyaayas01 posted:

I know it probably wouldn't impact his OPR/promotion poo poo, but he would've at least had something put in his FEF, right?

Probably Q3'ed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

Only if he lost his qual (I assume he did, but I can't say for sure). But yeah that doesn't go anywhere outside the squadron or OG stan/eval. Nothing career related comes from an FEF. I know a guy that had the sq/cc pull his qual, then he Q3'd his next checkride. DP for major less than a year later.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I feel enough time has elapsed to post this again

GIS'n air force chick sitting on bomb turns up some mixed and weird results.

haha what she has a blog about being a milwife?

http://thevollmerfamily.com/MajorMom/tag/air-force

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/05/a-memorial-day-look-at-afghanistan-may-2011/100076/

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
:eyepop: armyman25?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

What happened to the LT?

Real talk -- dude got assigned to fly UAVs. The aircraft commander and flight engineer both returned to flying status after a bit of time. The navigator never flew again. Funnily enough, the nav was at the wing safety building over at Nellis with the crew to go over some poo poo or whatever. A 40 pound plaque fell off the wall and hit her squarely in the head. She wasn't having a great time at Vegas.

The Lt landed the jet hard, bounced, and didn't initiate a go-around for what's called a "high, hard bounce." Instead he nosed the jet into the runway which collapsed the nose gear. The ensuing shower of sparks and collision busted a hydraulic line in the nose gear wheel well so that's where the fire developed.

Anyhow, I'd like to expand more on this mishap, but I am unsure of what is safety-privileged so for now I'll have to refrain. Maybe later I'll go track down the AIB findings for this.

And there is no debate over landing solidly on the AWACs. It does help with braking because the more weight on the wheels means that braking is effective. Boeing did up a real nice spiel about this in the dash 1 which I don't have currently. A lot of experienced pilots will plant the jet a bit more firmly on slick or snowed runways because of this.

bloops fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 28, 2013

• Locked thread