Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Firstly, I love that this has become THE CONTRA THREAD. Secondly, I started a no-death LP for original Contra like four years ago. Would people be interested in me reviving that or are we all tired of that game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"
It's certainly become the Contra thread as of late, but it seems like Proofreader, voiceofdog, and myself are going to become the resistance to this turn in the thread.

Speaking of which...

Journey to What-ius?

Journey to Silius is a run'n'gun platform shooter for NES, published by Sunsoft in 1990. It is best known either as the Terminator game that never came to be, or the game with one of the best god drat 8-bit soundtracks that the NES library had to offer. Seriously. One of the absolute best.

The Terminator game that never came to be?

Journey to Silius was originally slated to be released as a Terminator game, but, near the end of the development process, Sunsoft had lost the rights to the license. Thankfully, they decided not to scrap their work, and instead tweaked the game a bit to be its own original game, and it was finally released, newly christened as Journey To Silius.

This game is hard, right?

You betcha. It could've fallen into the same vein as Mega Man as being a decent challenge but nothing to cringe at, but certain gameplay mechanics such as a fairly outrageous rarity of health pickups, physics that aren't hilariously lenient (as is the norm for most platformers) and occasionally vicious enemy placement make this game one that not many could beat on their first attempt. Three lives and three continues are the rules for this game, but in this playthrough my aim will be to not lose a life at all. Which, of course, is easier said than done, since the severe lack of health pickups means that, essentially, one lifebar is all you get, and mistakes made early on in a stage could come back to bite you in the rear end later.

You're rambling, moron.

Then let's get this show on the road.

SnakemanMn fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 1, 2013

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Update

Now the path branches, at least for this level. We're back at the Junkyard for Level 3.

Deadeye Joe Chase: Ray
Deadeye Joe Chase: Fang

so much Mode 7Blast Processing :magical:

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 28, 2013

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

SnakemanMn posted:

Journey to Silius

Sometime near the end of the SNES era, I was given a huge box of random NES games from a family member who was making room in her house. At the time I had no idea just how awesome the haul was, there were some real classics in there, and this game included.

I specifically remember Journey to Silius because I could not get that god drat game to work and I was so annoyed. Of course, the reason I was trying to get it work is that I decided Contra was too hard so maybe I was just saving myself a ton of pain and suffering.

That box is still laying around somewhere, too.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Zeikier posted:

Update

Now the path branches, at least for this level. We're back at the Junkyard for Level 3.

so much Mode 7 :magical:

:allears:
That was the most awesome thing ever.
It is so much distilled 90's badassery.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

You have to keep showing off the two runs side by side. Watching the boss fights as ray when you have to actually dodge then watching fang just take him out is so much fun.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Zeikier posted:

Update

Hahaha jesus christ I had forgotten about the bike walker thing. 90's As Hell, indeed.

Best Contra game in the series, though slowbeef's current project comes close at least. :)

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
So after that latest round of Contra shenanigans (Contranigans?) I have to wonder why you would ever not play as Fang.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That spider boss reminds me of Gecko from Einhänder.

...stupid Square. Make Zweihänder already. :colbert:

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

SnakemanMn posted:

Journey to Silius

My brain wants to listen to what you have to say, but my body just wants to rock out to the music. I had to settle for just listening to the soundtrack of the game instead to prevent getting an aneurysm over this accoustic tug-o-war.

Namingway
Jul 8, 2009

Zeikier posted:

Update

Wow, that game is loving rad. I had no idea at the time that a Contra game existed for the Genesis, let alone the best Contra game. My childhood is now forever lacking because I missed out on this game.

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

Renegret posted:

Sometime near the end of the SNES era, I was given a huge box of random NES games from a family member who was making room in her house. At the time I had no idea just how awesome the haul was, there were some real classics in there, and this game included.

I specifically remember Journey to Silius because I could not get that god drat game to work and I was so annoyed. Of course, the reason I was trying to get it work is that I decided Contra was too hard so maybe I was just saving myself a ton of pain and suffering.

That box is still laying around somewhere, too.
Journey to Silius isn't particularly bad for the first two stages, so you'd somewhat be saving yourself some pain. After that, though... :stonk:

Pizzatime posted:

My brain wants to listen to what you have to say, but my body just wants to rock out to the music. I had to settle for just listening to the soundtrack of the game instead to prevent getting an aneurysm over this accoustic tug-o-war.
I spent a good three minutes fiddling with the volume in Audacity because I wanted that nice balance of still hearing the game audio but also being able to (relatively) tell what the hell I'm even saying. Needless to say, JtS is one of those games where you don't mind if your commentary has particularly long pauses because then that just shows off the godly music, haha.

In any case, I'm going to give Stage 2 a crack right now with recording, and then I'll deal with the editing and such after I wrap up the last of my finals which'll be occurring in a very small number of days.

GmanTheTank
Feb 25, 2013

Enough expository banter! It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men!

Checking out the characters.

Fixed the aspect ratio and tried to boost the fps - much better quality.

Dectilon posted:

Never mind, Phiggle helped me get it working reasonably well.

So, here's Level 1 of Contra Hard Corps.

This game looks ridiculous and awesome; I'm excited to see what some of the crazy boss designs are like.

GmanTheTank fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 28, 2013

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Two Screens And A Lot Of Guns: Let's Play Contra 4

The Contra madness continues! Here's Contra 4. It was released in 2007 to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the series, and developed by Wayforward. You know, those guys who made Shantae. And that Wendy The Witch game for Game Boy Color that was a Metal Storm clone for children. Yeah, those guys. Contra 4 was received very well upon release, and it's probably the best Contra game since Contra Hard Corps. It's also pretty drat difficult. Adding to that, I'll be playing it on Hard. Because that's just how you do these sorts of things.

Now let's blow up some aliens and keep our eyes on two screens at once.

In which we get a remix for playing no holds barred on Hard mode

In which the level name is somewhat misleading and we get the best weapon of the game

In which we discover that Crush Missiles would have broken Contra in 1988

In which Wayforward attempts to one-up Contra III, both in over-the-top action setpieces and devilish enemy placement

Trains are okay, but I like my jetski!

I'm not sure what's being built here, but I'm going to blow it up.

Swarms of enemies, dual screen focusing required, and some minibosses for the hell of it? I'm game.

I sure hope you've got your finger on the jump button, because those turrets are quick on the draw.

Thousands of people get eaten by a big alien ant and we go inside it. Also, the ultimate Contra 1 callback; the Spread gun is overpowered as hell.

FreezingInferno fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 26, 2013

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

GmanTheTank posted:

Fixed the aspect ratio and tried to boost the fps - much better quality.
The fps is much better, yes, but there's still improvements that need to be made. After 1:00, the video starts to slog through intervals of absolutely freezing for about four seconds before skipping ahead, only to repeat that same few seconds of freezing. Might wanna re-record what you've got because what you have going right now isn't working, I'm afraid.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Let's keep things rolling.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

FreezingInferno posted:

Two Screens And A Lot Of Guns: Let's Play Contra 4

Well if they changed the Wall boss that much I'm very curious to see where bosses are going later on.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Thevoiceofdog, before you left, you should have asked Sherlock Holmes to join your band for the history report!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Contra Hard Corps is one of the games I grew up with, being a Genesis kid instead of a Nintendo one. I loved that game so goddamn much, my cousin and I would play ourselves stupid with it. Kind of sad nobody is showing off the robot, because he's my absolute favorite character. The secret ending is hilarious if you play the robot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm sorry, Mr Holmes, but the proper deduction from Zoda-X is that there's a Zoda W, V, and U, probably all the way back to Zoda-A.

SpookyTurtle
Jun 13, 2003

Top of the food chain, Ma!

thevoiceofdog posted:

So Sherlock Holmes resolved to thwart Zoda-X's heist at the museum, but had no problem with Mike Jones, Time-Traveling Teen, taking the same Tetrad. Welp!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

SpookyTurtle posted:

So Sherlock Holmes resolved to thwart Zoda-X's heist at the museum, but had no problem with Mike Jones, Time-Traveling Teen, taking the same Tetrad. Welp!

Don't worry, using his superhuman mental calculations, he realized that Mike required the piece for plot reasons and so was obliged to let him have it. Really, being Sherlock means being functionally omniscient when the story calls for it.

GmanTheTank
Feb 25, 2013

Enough expository banter! It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men!

SpookyTurtle posted:

Maybe Sherlock Holmes is actually Zoda-W and is setting an overly elaborate James Bond trap for Mike.

Or the developers gave no shits.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
So Zoda-X is the sugar-free version of him I assume?

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
I think it's a chain of command kind of thing, with Z being at the top. I guess we killed Zoda-W in the first game :v:

GmanTheTank
Feb 25, 2013

I don't like Camtasia. Only one more video, though.

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

The battle between Contra videos and non-Contra videos rages on, so let me add another video from the non-Contra side to help balance things out. Have some mo' Journey to Silius. Hope you enjoy it.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Update

I don't have a whole lot to say about the Junkyard. It throws a lot more bosses at you, particularly at the end.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 3, 2013

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
Oh you CAN dodge under that arm! Every time I've tried I've gotten hit.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

SnakemanMn posted:

The battle between Contra videos and non-Contra videos rages on, so let me add another video from the non-Contra side to help balance things out. Have some mo' Journey to Silius. Hope you enjoy it.

So...does the game have any in-level checkpoints? Because if not, then holy poo poo, the entire thing without health pickups, yes, that'd count as fairly brutal!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Man, this game gives me serious Gunstar Heroes vibes, what with all the enemies-composed-of-many-smaller-sprites thing going on everywhere and all the bosses.

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

So...does the game have any in-level checkpoints? Because if not, then holy poo poo, the entire thing without health pickups, yes, that'd count as fairly brutal!
There are checkpoints, yes. They're especially useful in the later stages because they'll sprawl on longer than the first two. (Except the fifth. It's short, but it auto-scrolls.)

Of course, given the nature of the LP and my attempt at rolling through each stage without a death, it's going to be particularly obnoxious because they make the game so much less of a pain.

SnakemanMn fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 28, 2013

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

SnakemanMn posted:

There are checkpoints, yes. They're especially useful in the later stages because they'll sprawl on longer than the first two. (Except the fifth. It's short, but it auto-scrolls.)

Of course, given the nature of the LP and my attempt at rolling through each stage without a death, it's going to be particularly obnoxious because they make the game so much less of a pain.
Probably :keke:.

...the game doesn't have extra life pickups either, right?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Zeikier posted:

Update

I don't have a whole lot to say about the Junkyard. It throws a lot more bosses at you, particularly at the end.

Small thing, but it's 'Taurus'. Tauros is a Pokemon :eng101:

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

Probably :keke:.

...the game doesn't have extra life pickups either, right?
The only pickups you'll ever see are ones encountered in the video already. Weapon energy pickups (a.k.a. the only pickup you're bound to ever see in the game often) and health pickups. The three lives / three continues setup is all you'll ever get. The game itself is pretty much all about endurance: No extra lives, no health refills before boss fights, rarely any health pickups, etc.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

drat this thread jumped up to like 100 posts in a day with all these Contra LPs! I'm lovin it (ba da ba ba -loving BANNER)

Gotta give some love for the Ninja Gaiden LP as well. That's on my list of games to learn to speedrun, although I still can't take out all three final bosses in one go with no special weapsons so that always adds too much time to make my runs even somewhat impressive.

The Proofreader
May 24, 2010

Danzel Glovington posted:

drat this thread jumped up to like 100 posts in a day with all these Contra LPs! I'm lovin it (ba da ba ba -loving BANNER)

Gotta give some love for the Ninja Gaiden LP as well. That's on my list of games to learn to speedrun, although I still can't take out all three final bosses in one go with no special weapsons so that always adds too much time to make my runs even somewhat impressive.

I will show you how to fight like a ninja.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Small thing, but it's 'Taurus'. Tauros is a Pokemon :eng101:

Aw hell, I was going back and forth on which spelling wasn't the pokeyman! :arghfist::saddowns:

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

thevoiceofdog posted:

I find it constantly hilarious how every time you die Mike's ghost facepalms. Especially fitting given how many of these deaths are pretty much just you being really dumb, like jumping straight into water. Mike's just like, "Dude, come on, you're not even trying."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Proofreader
May 24, 2010

Interested parties can find Act 3 of Ninja Gaiden here.

• Locked thread