Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Serious Frolicking posted:

The scale is a bit too large for every titan in the wall to have gone in voluntarily. Reiner, Bertholdt and Annie can't seem to control titans beyond calling them. The only hints we've seen of titans being controllable both involve talking titans, albeit in different ways. The sasquatch could talk and control titans, and the titan who mistook a scout for Ymir could talk and was presumably controlled. I can't quite figure out how it all fits together, though.
I think Sasquatch is from a completely different country or batch or whatever than the rest of the titans. He had never seen 3D gear before and wanted to study it, and he wasn't sure he spoke the same language as the humans. Have we seen any other titans with hair anywhere other than their heads? (And even a lot of those have male pattern baldness...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I was just thinking of the terror that the priest was expressing of the titan in the wall. Now though you have me wondering if the priest wasn't worried so much about the titans being antagonistic towards humanity, but for everyone freaking the hell out knowing that their greatest enemy is also their savior.

That's kinda what I had been thinking of them. I somehow doubt that the wall titans are mindless enemies. I want to think that they were willing sacrifices to protect mankind.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

I was just thinking of the terror that the priest was expressing of the titan in the wall. Now though you have me wondering if the priest wasn't worried so much about the titans being antagonistic towards humanity, but for everyone freaking the hell out knowing that their greatest enemy is also their savior.

I think that's part of it but he specifically mentioned not letting sunlight fall on it. It's always possible that the humans somehow captured feral titans and forced them to build the wall. Like milking venom from a snake.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I still don't think that the wall titans went in there willingly, but even if they had it wouldn't be too strange for them to go feral after spending a century in titan form.

Giant Enemy Cliche
Oct 10, 2012

"It was then that an ominous man stood beside me with a face of ill portent."
I think they were put there under the pretense that it was a temporary measure. Then the Gentry and the church got comfy in the inner wall and decided it was easier to live like kings than meaningfully fight back.

Human-Titans were shelved and/or outcast. The older generations hate the inner walls for what they've done, but live peacefully to avoid humanity's extinction. Their kids don't have the same perspective. They decide to ruin everyones party for revenge and to regain something important that was held in the wall cities(Eren/the basement poo poo). The older generation of Human Titans lose their poo poo and exile them until they fix their mess.

Hairy Titan: Original titan faction. Possibly doesn't actually have a motive beyond curiosity. Seems to regard humans as effectively ants.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Hmmm, I wonder if whole place is like Australia. The whole 'humanity being evil' and what not, maybe it is not about humanity in general, but rather criminals that got placed inside the walls and then started procreating. And the titans as sort of prison guards, I guess?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What if the wall-titans and the human-titans are actually guarding against an even worse threat, that posed by the inhuman titans and things like the Sasquatch?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I'm actually guessing that the wall-titans are conscripts. A human-titan (or several) with a better command of Mister Hairy's suggested powers got humans in the right place, titanified them, and then forced them to harden skin into place. Assume that the control isn't perfect/indefinite and you have plenty of reason for why that wasn't used on feral titans or why the wall-titans weren't used to fight instead of defend.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I decided to watch the anime yesterday, its pretty good. And it made me realize that I never noticed some very important things that happened in the first few chapters.

So please, help me refresh my memory: how the hell Eren got that basement key again? The anime shows that his dad had the key with him when he left (and the manga too, if I remember correctly).

So when or how did he got it? Was it ever explained or it remains a mystery?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Eren's bad memory strikes again. It's to be assumed that when his dad came back temporarily and experimented on Eren (maybe Mikasa) that is when Eren got the key. It's never been officially stated when Eren took the key to the basement.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eren's bad memory strikes again. It's to be assumed that when his dad came back temporarily and experimented on Eren (maybe Mikasa) that is when Eren got the key. It's never been officially stated when Eren took the key to the basement.

And when his dad came back temporarily? Those memories with father ("You are strange ever since mom died!!") always confused me. How far as I understood, his dad went away to the inner city that day, right before the titan invasion, and then never appeared again.

Unless he came back to him in secrecy and somehow Eren cant remember it properly and only have those flashbacks? At the same time, he doenst seems to be surprised or confused at all that he have that key.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 26, 2013

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Elias_Maluco posted:

Unless he came back to him in secrecy and somehow Eren cant remember it properly and only have those flashbacks?

That's the impression I got.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Huh. So is it possible that his dad is still alive somewhere?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Serious Frolicking posted:

Huh. So is it possible that his dad is still alive somewhere?

I think that's almost a fact. What I dont know is if/when he ever met with Eren after the invasion.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
Chekhov's gun indicates that he's around somewhere. I bet he's the main bad dude in the end, as well. Still, the story constantly breaks the mold, so it's impossible to know.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
He's become a crazy hermit, living out of the basement of his ruined house. Eren's mother's bones reassembled like a mannequin his only companion.

Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
Now someone just needs to do an SnK theme song version of Team America: World Police as Attack on Marionette. Then your vision can truly come to pass.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

My favorite part is Sasquatch in the back getting ready to throw something. He must have money riding on this match :v:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I think he's going to throw another horse.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
Maybe he's not going to throw it at all. Maybe waving a horse around is his way of cheering.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Maybe he's just helping the horse get a better view. :colbert:

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Note Annie, Berthold and Reiners poses.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Medieval Medic posted:

Note Annie, Berthold and Reiners poses.

Everyone is doing something "iconic" in their pose. Except Ymir, who's laying there. That Ymir, always just sleeping. Though it does manage to keep her team unclear.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gyges posted:

Everyone is doing something "iconic" in their pose. Except Ymir, who's laying there. That Ymir, always just sleeping. Though it does manage to keep her team unclear.

Notice how Eren's hand is suspiciously close to his mouth. Looks like the match is about to escalate.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Episode 4 of the anime

Man, it's painful to watch the latest episode and see Reiner being all friendly and reliable and trusted by his other classmates, knowing all the time that he's the Armoured Titan that ruined all their lives.

EDIT: They animated Annie guarding her neck when kicking Eren during their sparring match in training. Nice touch!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Knowing who are titans, it's pretty clear in that episode that somethings up with them given the focus on them in the background, and I feel dumb for not seeing them coming a mile off.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

And it's terrible seeing Marco alive and happy. :smith: I hope they flashback to the scene where Marco tells Jean he'd be a good leader, he hasn't gotten a lot of development so far in the show and I want the anime watchers to be sad too.

The Reiner and Bertholdt reveal can't really be fit into this season, can it? I can imagine ending with Annie's capture but that doesn't provide a whole lot of closure. Or maybe humanity really will lose.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Gyges posted:

Knowing who are titans, it's pretty clear in that episode that somethings up with them given the focus on them in the background, and I feel dumb for not seeing them coming a mile off.
Kinda get the feeling they won't leave well enough alone, either overemphasizing clues or going overboard with the flashbacks.

I can't recall a subtle anime.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 28, 2013

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

You're only noticing because you know who they are. New viewers will just think they're part of the extended cast.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I mean later on, havent seen the fourth episode yet. I'm half expecting them to add extra flashbacks going HAHA REMEMBER THIS

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Gyges posted:

The first time through we didn't even know the human titans were a thing. All you're supposed to take away really at this point is that these are the principal cast and were going to be who we were focusing on going forward.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I'm not sure if the best part about this show is watching it or watching the reactions in the anime thread. There's someone complaining about "The Colossal Titan just kinda teleports in. One frame not there, next frame PEEKABOO!" which is almost exactly what I thought when I read that scene in chapter 4.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

ActionZero posted:

I'm not sure if the best part about this show is watching it or watching the reactions in the anime thread. There's someone complaining about "The Colossal Titan just kinda teleports in. One frame not there, next frame PEEKABOO!" which is almost exactly what I thought when I read that scene in chapter 4.

The best part is going to be next week. Assuming they don't switch events around at all, Erin is going to appear to be unceremoniously and with little warning killed off about half way through the episode. We're then going to have about 3 or 4 episodes until the reveal/confirmation of Erin-titan's identity, where it appears as if Mikasa is the new protagonist. :allears:

Pensive fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 28, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ActionZero posted:

That post in the anime thread is made by Captain Invictus, who has also posted in this manga thread before.

Captain Invictus posted:

I think my biggest complaint about this episode, aside from still shots(which seem to be becoming more frequent) was the Colossal Titan just kinda teleports in. One frame not there, next frame PEEKABOO! I dunno, it was kinda jarring for such a dramatic moment. Rest of all that was outstanding though.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
He does sort of have a point in that it seems like there could have been a few additional frames, perhaps of the colossal titan rising up over the wall.

Sure, the extremely sudden 'blink' appearance is a clue, but so is the fact that a 50+ meter titan just happened to get right up to the wall without anyone noticing. The 'blink' effect just makes it significantly less subtle.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Zorak posted:

The first time through we didn't even know the human titans were a thing.

We did know, the training arc was a flashback that happened after Eren ended the second Titan attack by plugging the wall. That said I don't think anyone could reasonably guess that they're Titans before that encounter between Annie and Armin/Reiner outside the wall.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ActionZero posted:

I wasn't complaining of it being a problem story-wise, I was complaining of it being an animation issue.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Pensive posted:

The best part is going to be next week. Assuming they don't switch events around at all, Erin is going to appear to be unceremoniously and with little warning killed off about half way through the episode. We're then going to have about 3 or 4 episodes until the reveal/confirmation of Erin-titan's identity, where it appears as if Mikasa is the new protagonist. :allears:

I can hardly wait for this, the last sudden twist reveal I was so hyped to see happen was in the SAO anime. If this is half as glorious as that, I will be pleased; the anime team could make this into the world's best fake out really easily.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I really hope that the magic SHAZAM! lightning bolt theory for the Colossal Titan becomes the accepted theory in the anime thread.

It is an interesting contrast in media though that in the manga the Colossal Titan just appearing doesn't really tell you much about it, however in the anime it's obviously something wonky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Well, even in the first chapter there was a panel where you could see its footprints just started right by the wall, like it appeared out of nowhere.