Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Lunethex posted:

The buttons are on the bottom of the page, you can see PSN/360 ID and Statue locations.

Whoops, thanks for pointing that out. I feel really stupid for having missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

^^^ The OP should be changed to link the Google doc in list view instead of spreadsheet view. It's better for people who aren't familiar with spreadsheets or Google docs. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Aoikgg2gnmbNdGZvQW5MNDJPdEVXMHN5X3NXZHZPZVE#gid=0

Inclinations:

The Rift Store at The Encampment sells Inclination Potions and Neutralizing Elixirs. The latter completely wipes all inclinations on your pawn. Choose 3 inclinations: Primary, Secondary, Tertiary [hidden].

Buy 15 potions of each type at the Rift Store. Use all 15 of each in reverse order: Tertiary, Secondary, Primary. Example: You want Scather/Challenger/Utilitarian as your Primary/Secondary/Tertiary. Drink 15 Utilitarians, 15 Challengers, and finally 15 Scathers.

Your inclinations should now be "locked" or difficult to change without inclination potion use or judicious use of D-pad commands/Knowledge Chair.

If you want to change your pawn's speech rate or speech personality at the Knowledge Chair, do that before chugging inclination potions.

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 28, 2013

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

quote:

Buy 15 potions of each type at the Rift Store. Use all 15 of each in reverse order: Tertiary, Secondary, Primary. Example: You want Scather/Challenger/Utilitarian as your Primary/Secondary/Tertiary. Drink 15 Utilitarians, 15 Challengers, and finally 15 Scathers.

Thanks for that. I think I'm going to try this tomorrow at some point. Actually, I'm thinking I might keep Challenger secondary and go with Utilitarian tertiary. It helps when dealing with nastier poo poo when the big guy goes after it. I had a feeling that those bars we see at the beginning had more to do with it than just saying 'what you are'-it seems to really show just how far INTO something you are. This sounds like the key to fix my alt from keeping sliding back to Acquisitor.

Also, this may have been said some dozen pages back but I may have missed it: Ghost Pope and Dragon can Dragonforge stuff. I just got a bow dragonforged there.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Azaael posted:

Thanks for that. I think I'm going to try this tomorrow at some point. Actually, I'm thinking I might keep Challenger secondary and go with Utilitarian tertiary. It helps when dealing with nastier poo poo when the big guy goes after it. I had a feeling that those bars we see at the beginning had more to do with it than just saying 'what you are'-it seems to really show just how far INTO something you are. This sounds like the key to fix my alt from keeping sliding back to Acquisitor.

Also, this may have been said some dozen pages back but I may have missed it: Ghost Pope and Dragon can Dragonforge stuff. I just got a bow dragonforged there.

The dragon counts as a Cursed Dragon which has a higher percentage than other dragons to dragonforge your gear. After beating the Dark Arisen once, you can go to Duskmoon tower to always fight a Drake or Wyvern then use Racid Bait Meat to summon a cursed dragon, best dragonforging option now because the Cursed Dragon can have multiple forges at once.

Edit: Hell you don't even have to use the meat, that's just if you're in a hurry. He comes out when you stay there for a while after killing the enemies, giving you some time collect Kingwarish.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 28, 2013

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I just picked up Dark Arisen, and I have a question regarding the bonus you get for having an original DD save. This is going to be the first time I ever play DD, so is there a way to grab a save and put it in my PS3 and get those bonuses?

I'm sure this isn't considered :filez: but if it is forget I even asked :downs:

e: Haha, I forgot that saves are tied to accounts and all that now so I can't do this. Forget I asked.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 28, 2013

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
Man Magic Archer got incredibly buffed. I never played them much in vanilla DD because they were so underwhelming but Dark Arisen must have done something because just the basic shots from the bow do crazy damage now.

I've spent most of the game as Sorcerer for sweet tornadoes, which I'm assuming helps explain why my magic bow attacks are all so great now, but what about the dagger skills? Spending 40 levels killing things with tornadoes doesn't make you very good at physical attacks, do the dagger special skills work off of physical or magic? Stuff like the somersault and explode attack, etc.

Also, I really got to start checking inclinations before I hire pawns. Guardian pawns will stick in something like a 7 ft radius from the Arisen AT ALL TIMES. At least with a team of all Aquisitor pawns they will be too busy mining and opening chests to jump up your rear end. Guardian pawns live there and invite all their Cyclopes friends which makes it really hard to charge up cool tornadoes.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
Yeah, I love those cursed dragons. Great for forging pawn gear especially(when one's pawn is a different class than what one usually plays.) I didn't know that one counted though-it fell over with a stiff breeze so I wasn't sure if it would wash. Nice to see it did though.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Tyskil posted:

Man Magic Archer got incredibly buffed. I never played them much in vanilla DD because they were so underwhelming but Dark Arisen must have done something because just the basic shots from the bow do crazy damage now.

I've spent most of the game as Sorcerer for sweet tornadoes, which I'm assuming helps explain why my magic bow attacks are all so great now, but what about the dagger skills? Spending 40 levels killing things with tornadoes doesn't make you very good at physical attacks, do the dagger special skills work off of physical or magic? Stuff like the somersault and explode attack, etc.

Also, I really got to start checking inclinations before I hire pawns. Guardian pawns will stick in something like a 7 ft radius from the Arisen AT ALL TIMES. At least with a team of all Aquisitor pawns they will be too busy mining and opening chests to jump up your rear end. Guardian pawns live there and invite all their Cyclopes friends which makes it really hard to charge up cool tornadoes.

They are magical attacks yes. If you want to make the most of melee combat then you need to use enchanted daggers. Don't forget you also have access to the Staff abiliies, you have all the mage stuff except for healing and buffs, and a Magick Archer exclusive ability of cursing your opponents called Perdition.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Tyskil posted:

The bows had their magic attack increased anywhere from 50-75% from their original DD values. It's a pretty good compensation if you didn't happen to level Sorc a ton. I'm doing hybrid build as usual because I like split damage weapons, and switching to magic archer is as smooth as ever.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Gyoru posted:

^^^ The OP should be changed to link the Google doc in list view instead of spreadsheet view. It's better for people who aren't familiar with spreadsheets or Google docs. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Aoikgg2gnmbNdGZvQW5MNDJPdEVXMHN5X3NXZHZPZVE#gid=0

Done. If there's anything else that should go in the OP please do speak up; I haven't been able to pick up Dark Arisen yet but I'd like to keep the OP helpful for people who have it!

Ineffable
Jul 4, 2012
So how long is the expansion content? I'm wondering whether to play through the whole game again or just Bitter Black Isle.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Wow screenshots turn blurry. At least on PS3.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I seriously am having the hardest time playing this game because either I'm
a giant idiot or it has the worst quest/map system in any game I've ever played.

I am doing " a matter of Myrmidons" and when I have the quest screen "show on map" it doesn't show anything. It points to me.

How does that make any sense?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Feenix posted:

a giant idiot or it has the worst quest/map system in any game I've ever played.

I am doing " a matter of Myrmidons" and when I have the quest screen "show on map" it doesn't show anything. It points to me.

It's not the worst map/quest system ever but it's pretty close, yeah. I guess Capcom has never done a modern quest system in a game before. Really, this game is full of things Capcom has never done before.

I don't know why the marker is pointing at you, if I remember right you need to go to the pawn guild, which is in the lower level of Gran Soren. There's a guard blocking the way but if you talk to him he should let you through...if you have done something beforehand, I forget what.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Feenix posted:

I just started the game this weekend, and just finished up the Pawn Guild quest (at least this first one, don't know if there are more). Anyway, when I did it, the quest marker on the map was at the Pawn Guild, so maybe something is messed up. Try quitting and loading again maybe?

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Miijhal posted:

It's more an issue of them not casting buffs on you. I had a pawn on my team who was a Nexus, and would never loving cast their elemental buffs, even when we were fighting Phantasms. Sucks when you're a Warrior with no elemental abilities of your own. Guardian is bad because it makes your pawn sit around and do nothing, Mitigator is kind of useless since most trash enemies just die from getting close to one of the worthwhile targets, and Aquisitior makes pawns drop everything they're doing to gather poo poo in the middle of fighting drakes. Although having one Aquisitor who isn't the main offense or support on your team can be nice sometimes.

They tend to have that problem whatever their inclination is - pawns forget everything and turn into cowering idiots when a phantasm-type enemy float by. What makes this especially galling is how helpful it'd be if they used this rare self-preservation in places where it'd actually help, while simultaneously preventing them from letting the ghost glomp onto them so I can smack that damned thing. TOO SPOOKY FOR PAWNS is a strikingly consistent thing.

Also, although Aquisitors lose very little time to their roomba-ing of the battlefield, the thing that annoys me the most about them is how vigorously they spam offensive items. Seeing your 1400+ strength warrior pawn pass up a swing to throw a stick from point-blank range is truly bizarre. That said, my most entertaining Seneschal-killing involved this very same thing as the finishing blow- I held his arms back, my pawn smashed him in the face with a bit of wood.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I got the ring that gives you the third version of powder blast (the assassin sword skill where you plant an explosive charge) and it is stupid. It wasn't great before because it took too long to plant a charge for not a lot of payoff, but now it's crazy fast and the explosion is massive. I just beat the room in the "new game+" version of Bitterblack with the two super-drakes and managed to keep them both stunlocked simultaneously for a good couple minutes by standing between them and spamming charges. My sorcerer pawn actually had enough time to cast a single spell! :v:

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

everyone is fabulous always
I've always been fond of burst strike to launch into trash mobs and the ring-boosted third level of that is awesome, too. It covers a ton of ground so it's great for closing distances with squirrely creatures and flyers.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Millions posted:

Done. If there's anything else that should go in the OP please do speak up; I haven't been able to pick up Dark Arisen yet but I'd like to keep the OP helpful for people who have it!

I've come a conclusion on the Bitterblack items now and I would like to write up a little something concerning new gear for the OP if that's OK.

Here it is:

"There are four types of Bitterblack Items to purify: Novelty, Gear, Weapon, and Armor. They come in tiers of levels ranging from 1 to 3. The Lv.3 items are very rare and rightfully so, often containing game changing items such as rings that give you access to Lv.3 skills or the powerful equipment that comes with the expansion. Here is a rundown of what each will give you.

NOVELTY
Miscellaneous items that aid you and your party in new ways. These are not determined by vocation and are, for the most part, random.

Lv.1 Novelty - Gives you any of the new curatives or tools that come with the expansion, all of which are extremely useful, but not the best kind of tools. Often times you'll see a light pick-ax for example or maybe a Jewel of X. The worst reward you can get is Liquid Effluvium.
Lv.2 Novelty - Has a chance of giving you access to some secret augment scrolls and magical items like Surging Light tome, which is used in a lot of Rarefying of Ur-Dragon Equipment. Could have more, but my experience has been strictly magical items and augment scrolls.
*NOTE: Augment scrolls can only be obtained once. If you get any more of the same, they are traded in for a small sum of gold.
Lv.3 Novelty - The best kind of the novelty tier, you could potentially gain items like the Ring of Thrift, which increases the amount of gold you get for selling items. It does not stack with Suasion because it is Suasion in a .20lbs ring. This is where you'll get most of your secret augment scrolls and a small chance of the Elite Lantern, a far superior, wider range, longer lasting lantern.

GEAR
Magical rings that come with special randomized effects or even upgrades to skills you have. What you get is entirely determined by what vocation you AND your pawn are, so Godsbaning and changing your vocations around can help steer you into getting what you want. By far the hardest Bitterblack Item to come by is Lv.3 Gear.

Lv.1 Gear - You can get rings that enhance only one skill on them or fairly weak rings that boost your basic attributes.
Lv.2 Gear - Just like the Lv.1 rings except the effects are vastly improved.
Lv.3 Gear - The most interesting of them, you will be guaranteed rings with 2 skill improvements on them as well as special rings like the Ring of Dessication, which automatically removes the drenched status. You can get very nice items from this.

WEAPON
Bitterblack Weapon purification doesn't seem to be that based on vocation, but switching them around still does change what you get. The levels here are very distinctive and it's good to keep in mind that what you and your pawn are will affect what you get. Any extra weapons go to storage and you can gift them around (Please confirm this) and sell for a million gold easily, ensuring you'll keep a fat wallet.

Lv.1 Weapon - The Lv.1 weapons will give you items seen in the main game, like the Crossed Cinqueda. There is nothing new here but it can be an option for those still new to the game and without Ur-Dragon equipment.
Lv.2 Weapon - This is the first step of getting Bitterblack Items. In the Duskmoon Tower area you can access special doors with Moonbeam Gems, and some contain special weapons. You can get those weapons and more from this tier, and these weapons on their own are slightly superior to the Everfall equivalents. There is nothing old about this tier, it is all new from here.
Lv.3 Weapon - By far the strongest weapons of the game, you can have access to the top tier weapons from purifying these items. There seems to only be one type of weapon for each class and I haven't had any magically enchanted things come from it, only raw power. As well, I've only seen one pair of daggers, the Helmbarte Daggers, from these.

ARMOR
The Bitterblack Armors aren't too different from the Weapons, but there is a quest tied into getting the 13 Bitterblack Armaments later on. All 13 of them will come from Lv.3 Armor. There are two sets of equipment for all tiers of class: Cloth, Light, and Heavy. I will list them before talking about the purification. All 13 pieces of equipment have a separate version that is all around better and is listed in the description as being "Truly rare among even the Bitterblack armaments." There are also separate pieces of equipment for those still working on getting the Lv.3 sets, and I will list what I know as well, and some pieces of equipment seem to be completely unrelated to sets. Vocations do apply here, so change up as necessary.

It's also important to note that there is no new clothing type of item, there is only armor, capes, and rings to be gained from purification. The 13 Bitterblack Armaments are these sets and this cloak: Betrayer, Shadow, Grave, and the Blasphemer's Cloak. All pieces of armor in these sets come with special bonuses, such as healing you overtime, healing your pawns overtime, giving you stamina back per kill, and so forth.

HEAVY ARMOR
IMMORTAL SET - Tier 2 Armor for Fighter, Warrior, and Mystic Knight.
BETRAYER SET - For Fighter, Warrior, and Mystic Knight.
HELLFIRE SET - Upgraded version of the Betrayer set for Fighter, Warrior, and Mystic Knight.

LIGHT ARMOR
TROPHY SET - Tier 2 Armor for Strider, Ranger, Magick Archer, and Assassin.
SHADOW SET - Tier 3 Armor Strider, Ranger, Magick Archer, and Assassin.
OBLIVION SET - Upgraded version of the Shadow set for Strider, Ranger, Magick Archer, and Assassin.

CLOTH ARMOR
ADEPT'S SET - Tier 2 Armor for Mage, Sorceror, and Magick Archer.
GRAVE SET - Tier 3 Armor for Mage, Sorceror, and Magick Archer.
CARRION SET - Upgraded version of the Grave set for Mage, Sorceror, and Magick Archer.

There are two types of cloaks that come with the Bitterblack Sets:

Blasphemer's Cloak
Hellfire Cloak

All classes can use these of course, but you do need the Blasphemer's cloak to complete the quest. Now, on to the Levels.

Lv.1 Armor - Like with Weapon Lv.1, gives you armor from the main game and there is nothing new to this.
Lv.2 Armor - Purifying the Lv.2 items will grant you the lower end sets such as the Trophy Set or Adept's set.
Lv.3 Armor - These will give you all the special armor sets as well as their upgraded versions.

I'm very close to finishing the Oblivion set, I just need the coat and, as an Assassin, I'm positive I'll hit 100% Stagger/Knockdown resistances. These things are out of this world, and I would love to see a warrior decked out in Hellfire, because they would just never die.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 28, 2013

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009
I never noticed how amazingly entertaining Magick Knight can be.

"You're already dead."

He then went flying over the wall, to his death. Makes up for the absurdly long cast time of the -Enchanter spells compared to how pathetically short they last.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I guess Lv.2 and 3 cursed items probably drop more often in New game+?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Skeezy posted:

I just picked up Dark Arisen, and I have a question regarding the bonus you get for having an original DD save. This is going to be the first time I ever play DD, so is there a way to grab a save and put it in my PS3 and get those bonuses?

I'm sure this isn't considered :filez: but if it is forget I even asked :downs:

e: Haha, I forgot that saves are tied to accounts and all that now so I can't do this. Forget I asked.
You actually can do this with something like Aldo's Bruteforce Data tools for PS3 saves and resign an existing save to your profile, though it's not a simple thing to do. I'll see if I can write up a little guide for it.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
Okay, I gotta vent JUST a little here.

I think they got a little bit ridiculous with the Normal mode damage in Bitterblack Runs 2 and 3. Especially 3. I mean, when I get one-shot while wearing good gear by a spell a hidden undead pawn thing casts that's NOT the instant death spell, at level 170+, something's kinda up.

It's kinda weird-I mean I remember the first time I went exploring and I ran into a Chimera. I was like...level 13-15? I had me, my pawn(a bit lower), and Rook still since I had no idea about the NPC pawn not leveling. (I knew the player ones didn't level with you.) I didn't even have a 4th. Okay, so it whipped my rear end. But I regrouped, got 2 proper pawns, and went back-I may have only gained about a level even. I fought the Chimera and won. I was limping, I had like no healing items left, but it was GREAT. I'm like 'gimme more!' Then they gave me more in the form of That Room in the Everfall. My first time there I got a whoopin'. Regrouped, went back and won-again, pretty torn up, but feeling fantastic. Like 'Yes, this feels just right.'

Now, I walk into a room and something ridiculous happens like upteen Eliminators and their Living Armor bodyguards all charge me while hidden mages are bouncing me around with High Maelstrom, and then suddenly a bunch of Garms show up because corpses, and I just manage to win after Wakestoning because I was somehow oneshot on Normal mode by the NON one-shotty stuff, my items are up because my pawns all died because Death decided to show up and they got knocked into him, and I don't have that 'Awesome!' feeling. I say 'Capcom, that was some bullshit. Tune this stuff better.'

I dunno-I mean I beat the game before on Hard mode, I've played the hell out of it, I know the tactics, but drat, some of the Bitterblack stuff is just more frustrating than the fun I had before with the hard fights. (Not all of it. I thought the Double Dragon fight was awesome, and several other things.) I suppose if they want me to just stack umpteen Periapts I suppose I can.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

gibbed posted:

You actually can do this with something like Aldo's Bruteforce Data tools for PS3 saves and resign an existing save to your profile, though it's not a simple thing to do. I'll see if I can write up a little guide for it.

You're the best person :allears:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

So I'm not "cheating" and using high-level goon pawns to rush through my replay, but I did borrow them to get up to the Void Key in the expansion and powerlevel a bit while copping some items.

Managed to nab a Level 3 Gear piece. Patterned Gambeson. Swoon.

Problem is none of the armor available at this point looks decent over it. So my pawn is just wearing a shirt for the time being. Still higher stats than all but one of the bonus outfits though.

Edit: Patterned Gambeson is definitely a cursed clothing item. It was Gear, not Armor, though.

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 29, 2013

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

epitasis posted:

So I'm not "cheating" and using high-level goon pawns to rush through my replay, but I did borrow them to get up to the Void Key in the expansion and powerlevel a bit while copping some items.

Managed to nab a Level 3 Gear piece. Patterned Gambeson. Swoon.

Problem is none of the armor available at this point looks decent over it. So my pawn is just wearing a shirt for the time being. Still higher stats than all but one of the bonus outfits though.

I wouldn't say it's cheating, you just get an EXP penalty for pawns of a higher level than you are.

RatHat posted:

I guess Lv.2 and 3 cursed items probably drop more often in New game+?

Perhaps, I'm not totally sure about that yet. On one hand the chests in the bottom levels (after the 2nd shortcut) seem to have more Lv.2 and Lv.3, and killing Gorecyclops almost guarantees a cursed item but unless you're a grappling class don't even bother, it would take a long time.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Lunethex posted:

I've come a conclusion on the Bitterblack items now and I would like to write up a little something concerning new gear for the OP if that's OK.

Here it is:

"There are four types of Bitterblack Items to purify: Novelty, Gear, Weapon, and Armor. They come in tiers of levels ranging from 1 to 3. The Lv.3 items are very rare and rightfully so, often containing game changing items such as rings that give you access to Lv.3 skills or the powerful equipment that comes with the expansion. Here is a rundown of what each will give you.

NOVELTY
Miscellaneous items that aid you and your party in new ways. These are not determined by vocation and are, for the most part, random.

Lv.1 Novelty - Gives you any of the new curatives or tools that come with the expansion, all of which are extremely useful, but not the best kind of tools. Often times you'll see a light pick-ax for example or maybe a Jewel of X. The worst reward you can get is Liquid Effluvium.
Lv.2 Novelty - Has a chance of giving you access to some secret augment scrolls and magical items like Surging Light tome, which is used in a lot of Rarefying of Ur-Dragon Equipment. Could have more, but my experience has been strictly magical items and augment scrolls.
*NOTE: Augment scrolls can only be obtained once. If you get any more of the same, they are traded in for a small sum of gold.
Lv.3 Novelty - The best kind of the novelty tier, you could potentially gain items like the Ring of Thrift, which increases the amount of gold you get for selling items. It does not stack with Suasion because it is Suasion in a .20lbs ring. This is where you'll get most of your secret augment scrolls and a small chance of the Elite Lantern, a far superior, wider range, longer lasting lantern.

GEAR
Magical rings that come with special randomized effects or even upgrades to skills you have. What you get is entirely determined by what vocation you AND your pawn are, so Godsbaning and changing your vocations around can help steer you into getting what you want. By far the hardest Bitterblack Item to come by is Lv.3 Gear.

Lv.1 Gear - You can get rings that enhance only one skill on them or fairly weak rings that boost your basic attributes.
Lv.2 Gear - Just like the Lv.1 rings except the effects are vastly improved.
Lv.3 Gear - The most interesting of them, you will be guaranteed rings with 2 skill improvements on them as well as special rings like the Ring of Dessication, which automatically removes the drenched status. You can get very nice items from this.

WEAPON
Bitterblack Weapon purification doesn't seem to be that based on vocation, but switching them around still does change what you get. The levels here are very distinctive and it's good to keep in mind that what you and your pawn are will affect what you get. Any extra weapons go to storage and you can gift them around (Please confirm this) and sell for a million gold easily, ensuring you'll keep a fat wallet.

Lv.1 Weapon - The Lv.1 weapons will give you items seen in the main game, like the Crossed Cinqueda. There is nothing new here but it can be an option for those still new to the game and without Ur-Dragon equipment.
Lv.2 Weapon - This is the first step of getting Bitterblack Items. In the Duskmoon Tower area you can access special doors with Moonbeam Gems, and some contain special weapons. You can get those weapons and more from this tier, and these weapons on their own are slightly superior to the Everfall equivalents. There is nothing old about this tier, it is all new from here.
Lv.3 Weapon - By far the strongest weapons of the game, you can have access to the top tier weapons from purifying these items. There seems to only be one type of weapon for each class and I haven't had any magically enchanted things come from it, only raw power. As well, I've only seen one pair of daggers, the Helmbarte Daggers, from these.

ARMOR
The Bitterblack Armors aren't too different from the Weapons, but there is a quest tied into getting the 13 Bitterblack Armaments later on. All 13 of them will come from Lv.3 Armor. There are two sets of equipment for all tiers of class: Cloth, Light, and Heavy. I will list them before talking about the purification. All 13 pieces of equipment have a separate version that is all around better and is listed in the description as being "Truly rare among even the Bitterblack armaments." There are also separate pieces of equipment for those still working on getting the Lv.3 sets, and I will list what I know as well, and some pieces of equipment seem to be completely unrelated to sets. Vocations do apply here, so change up as necessary.

It's also important to note that there is no new clothing type of item, there is only armor, capes, and rings to be gained from purification. The 13 Bitterblack Armaments are these sets and this cloak: Betrayer, Shadow, Grave, and the Blasphemer's Cloak. All pieces of armor in these sets come with special bonuses, such as healing you overtime, healing your pawns overtime, giving you stamina back per kill, and so forth.

HEAVY ARMOR
IMMORTAL SET - Tier 2 Armor for Fighter, Warrior, and Mystic Knight.
BETRAYER SET - For Fighter, Warrior, and Mystic Knight.
HELLFIRE SET - Upgraded version of the Betrayer set for Fighter, Warrior, and Mystic Knight.

LIGHT ARMOR
TROPHY SET - Tier 2 Armor for Strider, Ranger, Magick Archer, and Assassin.
SHADOW SET - Tier 3 Armor Strider, Ranger, Magick Archer, and Assassin.
OBLIVION SET - Upgraded version of the Shadow set for Strider, Ranger, Magick Archer, and Assassin.

CLOTH ARMOR
ADEPT'S SET - Tier 2 Armor for Mage, Sorceror, and Magick Archer.
GRAVE SET - Tier 3 Armor for Mage, Sorceror, and Magick Archer.
CARRION SET - Upgraded version of the Grave set for Mage, Sorceror, and Magick Archer.

There are two types of cloaks that come with the Bitterblack Sets:

Blasphemer's Cloak
Hellfire Cloak

All classes can use these of course, but you do need the Blasphemer's cloak to complete the quest. Now, on to the Levels.

Lv.1 Armor - Like with Weapon Lv.1, gives you armor from the main game and there is nothing new to this.
Lv.2 Armor - Purifying the Lv.2 items will grant you the lower end sets such as the Trophy Set or Adept's set.
Lv.3 Armor - These will give you all the special armor sets as well as their upgraded versions.

I'm very close to finishing the Oblivion set, I just need the coat and, as an Assassin, I'm positive I'll hit 100% Stagger/Knockdown resistances. These things are out of this world, and I would love to see a warrior decked out in Hellfire, because they would just never die.

Done. Thanks a ton, this looks really useful!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I hope other people can add to that eventually. I don't think you can get any clothing from Bitterblack items but I've probably just never seen it in the first place, and I wonder if there are actually better daggers than the ones I'm using to kill the final boss in less than 3-5 minutes.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

There's Sapfire Daggers but I'm not sure if those are better. Barack starts selling the tier 2 items after some really late point (after beating it?) and the Helmbarte daggers are definitely one of the ones that he sells.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Fereydun posted:

There's Sapfire Daggers but I'm not sure if those are better. Barack starts selling the tier 2 items after some really late point (after beating it?) and the Helmbarte daggers are definitely one of the ones that he sells.

Yeah I have the Sapfire Daggers, but they're a lot weaker than the Helmbarte themselves. I forget but I think I got them from one of the Moonbeam Doors. I'll go Rarefy them and see what the final stats are unless you already have them.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Skeezy posted:

You're the best person :allears:
  1. Get a save file that you have already for any game from your PS3, from the profile you want to resign to.
  2. Download and install PS3 Bruteforce Save Data.
  3. In BSD, browse to the directory of the save data from step 1.
  4. In BSD, select the save file from step 1.
  5. In BSD, click "Set PARAM.SFO as Template", then select "Configure Profiles", then select "Set PARAM.SFO for Profile 1...". It should open a file open dialog in the save directory, just hit Open.
  6. It will ask you for a friendly name, enter whatever you want. I use my PSN account name.
  7. Download a save file for Dragon's Dogma. Here's one (not mine). Be warned that this is apparently a "platinum save" in that it might unlock achievements if you don't start a completely new character after letting Dark Arisen import it.
  8. Extract that save file to the directory BSD is set to.
  9. In BSD, click "Refresh".
  10. In BSD, select the save file from step 7.
  11. Click "Rebuild", select "Rebuild Partial". It should prompt you if you want to update with the profile you created in step 5 and 6. Select "Yes".
  12. You're done. Copy the Dragon's Dogma save data to the PS3. Hopefully Dark Arisen will be able to import it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lunethex posted:

I wouldn't say it's cheating, you just get an EXP penalty for pawns of a higher level than you are.

Does anyone know the formula on this? I usually rent pawns 3-4 levels above me and I wonder if that has a significant effect on my experience gains or not. I'm guessing no since they're still close to my level.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

RatHat posted:

Does anyone know the formula on this? I usually rent pawns 3-4 levels above me and I wonder if that has a significant effect on my experience gains or not. I'm guessing no since they're still close to my level.

If you hire pawns up to 25 levels above you, then you'll get a penalty to experience that caps off at that 25th higher level threshold. A pawn 25 levels lower than you will give you a boost to your experience.

Lunethex posted:

Yeah I have the Sapfire Daggers, but they're a lot weaker than the Helmbarte themselves. I forget but I think I got them from one of the Moonbeam Doors. I'll go Rarefy them and see what the final stats are unless you already have them.

Yeah they're not very good. The max stats it gets, for a ridiculous set of items (5 infernal hide and 3 bright amber scales? Screw that!) it will have 568 Strength, 798 Magic, and 385 Stagger & Knockdown. It's basically Heaven's Key with a fire enchantment. A maximum rarefied Heaven's Key has 475 Strength, 773 Magic, and 426 Stagger & Knockdown. The Helmbart Daggers at Full Rarefy have 1344 Strength and 407 Stagger & Knockdown.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 29, 2013

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
I have to say the extra portcrystals and the infinite ferrystone have almost single-handedly made the game legitimately fun for me. Prior to that I'd have fun with it for a while before finally hitting a wall and saying "You want me to go where? AGAIN? Nope, we're done here."

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is there any way like with the PS3 to make a save to get the bonuses for 360? I stupidly deleted my old save and don't have the original game any more.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Mr E posted:

Is there any way like with the PS3 to make a save to get the bonuses for 360? I stupidly deleted my old save and don't have the original game any more.
You can definitely resign a save for 360, but I have no idea how, I assume it involves the use of Horizon or Modio. You'd need a save file too from the 360 version.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mr E posted:

If you have a store nearby that does video game rentals you could rent the original game and make a save.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Lunethex posted:

I hope other people can add to that eventually. I don't think you can get any clothing from Bitterblack items but I've probably just never seen it in the first place, and I wonder if there are actually better daggers than the ones I'm using to kill the final boss in less than 3-5 minutes.

I've gotten silk pants for both my PC and pawn from bitterblack gear. I'm in NG+ for BBI right now and the drop rate for cursed stuff in general seems slightly higher

Are Moonbeam Gems static? or do you get them as random loot as well? I've opened 3 doors.

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 29, 2013

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Lakbay posted:

I've gotten silk pants for both my PC and pawn from bitterblack gear. I'm in NG+ for BBI right now and the drop rate for cursed stuff in general seems slightly higher

Are Moonbeam Gems static? or do you get them as random loot as well? I've opened 3 doors.

You can get an infinite amount from beating the Daimon and opening the middle chest on the left.

Speaking of tights and the gambeson yeah I see now, but I don't want to waste time upgrading them if they're not better than the Abyssinal Outfit & White Stocking combo I'm using right now, or the Bliaut & White Stockings on my pawn. Does anyone have them fully rarefied and can tell me the stats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
So hey, with all the new people coming in for Dark arisen ans stuff I feel like it would be prudent to remind people that Golems do not take any damage at all from magic. None whatsoever. This can be problematic as a Mage/Sorc, who can only do magical attacks! Most people recommend changing classes before fighting but you don't always know when the game is going to poo poo out a Golem on you and every second you aren't a wizard is time where you aren't the coolest guy around. To that end, you can actually fight Golems as the magic classes without having to switch classes!

Just put that staff down and go all Mike Tyson a bastard. There's even a special ring you can get in bitterblack isle that makes you do more unarmed damage, and it's usually faster to just punch the amulets out yourself than to go all the way back to town, change vocations and equipment, and walk back. Usually.

Also bonus picture of the least harrowing life or death cling I've ever seen.

• Locked thread