Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
"Personal Reality", right? She can do these things because deep in her heart she doesn't properly believe that she can't. Espers are all about defying the laws of physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
But can she cook?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

bubblegumbo0 posted:

But can she cook?

I'd say she's an induction stove.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hacking is as stated way more absurd than her other abilities, but it bears mentioning that to a greater extent than raw power is at least, finesse is the deciding factor for Level. And Misaka is a level 5. Accelerator, for reference also got, along with his esper powers, the ludicrous level of mental calculation necessary to actualise his will in a specific and meaningful fashion using his powers. Things like forming functional wings out of a hail of ricocheting broken glass are easy to formulate conceptually, but would require insane processing power to actually implement even assuming you had the ability in question. And apparently being a level 5 esper just sort of naturally gives you the ability to do that sort of thing. It wouldn't be surprising if Misaka could read and interpret information straight off the hard drives of computers.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

nielsm posted:

I'd say she's an induction stove.

There was literally a scene like that in the last Railgun series.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, if it's electric, she can basically do anything with it. Just add a bit of technobabble and away you go. That's basically Level 5's for you. They're really, really good at what they do.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The last episode seemed to be pointing out that what sets Misaka apart isn't the strength of her power but the way she uses it. Rapidly-incubated clones of her are merely above average; they didn't spend a lot of time learning how to use electricity to hack networks or become Magneto.

...I wonder if it's an intentional nod that the protagonist with electro-magnetic powers seems to have found a rival in one with the power to control minds.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Misaka can literally see electrons. She's not a Level 5 for no reason. If she were merely powerful, she'd be a Level 4 because even her railgun isn't exactly unmatched.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
Manga Spoilers ->
It's flat out stated in the manga and Index LN that the number 4 Meltdowner has higher power output, but is ranked lower than Misaka despite having similar electron manipulation abilities because Misaka has far greater versatility in using her abilities.

Edit: Fixed BBcode.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Robhol posted:

Pretty sure Railgun itself only has a manga, no light novel, so probably go for that. The Index LNs don't really feature Misaka that heavily for the most part.

And how far along is the manga compared to the LN?

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
The LN is the index story whereas the manga is the rail gun story, so they don't really compare although the Index story is quite a bit longer and further down the timeline if you really care to know.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
Ok I'm gonna set the record straight on the different media since it looks like it's not entirely clear.

A Certain Magical Index is a series of light novels, 22 volumes long, written by Kamachi Kazuma.
A Certain Magical Index: New Testament is an ongoing series of light novels (currently consisting of 6 volumes) that is the continuation, or "second season" of sorts, of the original light novels, still written by Kamachi.

These light novels are the main unit of the franchise--every related work traces itself back to them. The first 13 light novels have been adapted into anime, across two seasons each two cours (24 episodes give or take) long. Any season 3 of an Index anime would start on volume 14 of the Index light novels, potentially also covering some of the material in the official "SS" light novels, which are side stories covering events unrelated to the main plot. At the pace the anime adaptation has gone so far, we wouldn't begin to see anything from New Testament until a hypothetical season 5.

A Certain Scientific Railgun is a manga written and drawn by Fuyukawa Motoi as a side story to Index. It is, as far as I am aware, exactly as canonical as the original Index light novels, as Kamachi has worked in references and callbacks to events in Railgun. Its anime adaptation is what we're all currently watching.

There have been many side story and guest light novels written by Kamachi and others in the Index universe, some of which can be considered canonical, but can generally be ignored. There have been two light novels written under the Railgun title which are, I believe, unrelated to the source manga.

Outer Science fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 28, 2013

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Relambrien posted:

Ok I'm gonna set the record straight on the different media since it looks like it's not entirely clear.

A Certain Magical Index is a series of 22 light novels written by Kamachi Kazuma.
A Certain Magical Index: New Testament is an ongoing series of light novels (currently consisting of 6 volumes) that is the continuation, or "second season" of sorts, of the original light novels, still written by Kamachi. These light novels are the main unit of the franchise. The first 13 light novels have been adapted into anime, across two seasons each two cours long.

Wait, so the two anime seasons we've gotten are from New Testament, and not from the original series, or are they from the original series and New Testament is even further ahead? Why is a volume considered different from a light novel? What exactly do you mean when you say "main unit of the franchise"? What the hell is a cours? :psyduck:

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
Sorry, I'll edit and clarify. Check the post again in a couple minutes.

edit: Ok I think I got everything as clear as I can make it.

Outer Science fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 28, 2013

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't know what "cours" meant until recently. I swear nobody used the word until a few months ago, then suddenly it was everywhere.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

Ducklings have been known to imprint on, and imitate, species in close vicinity -- especially cats and dogs.

~SMcD

SatansBestBuddy posted:

What the hell is a cour(s)? :psyduck:

For example, Gargantia will have 12 episodes (one cour) this season while Attack on Titan is scheduled for 25 (two cours). 'Cour' is used in lieu of 'season' to roughly describe how many groups of ~11-13 episodes are in a given season.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Parpy posted:

But doesn't that mean she needs to be able to mentally process every keystroke as binary on the fly and have a solid enough grasp of TCP/IP, routing, programming languages, SQL and other database languages, general h4x, etc.? You can't just ram a surge of electrons through a computer and expect it to cooperate. Kamachi.exe, please. My immersion.:reject:

Pretty much, Accelerator reprograms a brain by changing the vectors of memory. Also remember that Uiharu is a better hacker than misaka without electrical powers.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Relambrien posted:

There have been two light novels written under the Railgun title which are, I believe, unrelated to the source manga.

Not completely unrelated. They're sidestories of a sidestory. They feature Saten, who was a character created solely for the Railgun manga, and one of the characters from one of them recently showed up in the manga.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Clarste posted:

Not completely unrelated. They're sidestories of a sidestory. They feature Saten, who was a character created solely for the Railgun manga, and one of the characters from one of them recently showed up in the manga.

The same character in question showed up in the Index light novels (specifically vol 15 and 19).

Edit: Added volume references.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

UchihaHirou posted:

The same character in question showed up in the Index light novels (specifically vol 15 and 19).

Edit: Added volume references.

Yes, but the fact that she met them in the novel is relevant. IE: it's canon to Railgun and actually matters to the story. Not just a cameo.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
And today we finally have our shocking twist revealed!

In that Misaka finally gets to meet MISAKA and it looks glorious, I personally can't wait until we see Kuroko's reaction :haw:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Was it the real Misaka whoe went shopping or was it MISAKA? I thought the clones could only talk in that strange way we've seen in the episode from last week.

Also those two scientists at the end. What the gently caress is wrong with them? :stare:

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 4, 2013

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Beard Frog Coffee :frog:

Annoying they're trying to keep a filler character around with the main group.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

Ducklings have been known to imprint on, and imitate, species in close vicinity -- especially cats and dogs.

~SMcD

.Clash posted:

Beard Frog Coffee :frog:

Annoying they're trying to keep a filler character around with the main group.

It's annoying that they're even focusing on Uihara, Saten and Haruee at all when there's so much substantial content to cover. A large portion of the episode featuring adolescent girls aimlessly shopping for swimwear and a rice cooker? Really, JC Staff? :argh: Not that I don't love the Judgement girls, but there's so much content they're cutting just to feature pointless slice-of-life teens-parading-about-in-swimsuits filler. Even Misaka playing with the kids in the park had some relevance i.e. foreshadowing the concept of electric telepathy.

Manga semi-SPOILER, sort of. #9982 has already started developing a personality and I think it would have done viewers justice to have seen this so they could bond with her and recognize her as an individual, not a completely unfeeling robot-like drone. Maybe they'll do some interaction between 9982 and Biribiri in episode 5 to highlight this, but this tea scene is one of 9982's defining moments that reveals that she already has very human thought, opinion and even emotion (i.e. disappointment bordering on outrage over poorly made tea). JC Staff dropped the character development ball in favor of 100% pointless SoL filler crap and maybe I'm just a huge babby but this genuinely irks me. Now in the show 9982 has already figuratively left the nest.

The scene in question, not a spoiler to the plot, simply a character-defining moment that unfortunately got JC Staff'd.

I feel that the last 60 seconds of this episode and the previews for next week were infinitely more interesting than anything that happened in the preceding 23 minutes. "Oh, could you be a dear and tidy that up for us? That'd be great!" :gonk:

Whatever. I love all Raildex content unconditionally. By the way, why was Misaka so happy at the beginning of the episode? Was it just relief at having found nothing untoward at the lab the night before?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Parpy posted:

By the way, why was Misaka so happy at the beginning of the episode? Was it just relief at having found nothing untoward at the lab the night before?

That was the implication, yes.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Eh, I don't mind the lighter moments, and I'm sure we're going to get plenty of plot very quickly. I do agree that Haruee seems completely pointless though.

That manga scene though. MISAKA, you are the best Misaka. :allears: Oh god, I wish we had seen that animated. Also, Accelerator next week, yessss.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
I wouldn't be too concerned about filler, this is going to be a 22 episode season, isn't it?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

24 episodes even.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That was a fairly pleasant episode. Until the end. :stare:

Holy poo poo, those last ten seconds have such intense mood whiplash I'm actually shaking a little, the shift from super girly slice of life to super graphic bloodsport was bad enough to burn the clutch. I didn't expect them to just dive right into the sisters arc right then and there, I was hoping for a little bit of cushioning, an episode or two before poo poo hits the fan. loving hell.

Also, this tea scene is glorious. :allears: I'm actually rather disappointed they didn't animate it. Guess I'll actually start reading the manga now.

EDIT: I personally blame this episode for making me lose sleep tonight.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 5, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Don't you guys have like a whole city of helper robots? Clean up your own mess :mad:.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD
Holy poo poo, this episode. I knew exactly what was coming, yet I'm still stunned and horrified. gently caress.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

:stare:

So, when this season first started, I wasn't really sure if I wanted them to go through the whole Sisters arc in more detail... nevermind.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Possibly really slight index spoilers in the vein of "the good guys win" but: Really wish we had this before Index concluded this arc because drat.

Probably actual Index spoilers so don't click if you haven't seen index yet or don't know how exactly it ends.: This arc is gonna give me quite the cognitive dissonance as I already associate Accelerator as redeemed albeit still quite murderous psychotic rear end in a top hat but at least he's our's, so seeing him be thoroughly evil again is gonna be nuts to my poor brain.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 11, 2013

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Well, that escalated quickly!

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
:stare:

Add another one to the pile. Not that I didn't know it was coming due to Index, but goddrat that was a lot more brutal than I ever thought this would go. And I actually started caring about MISAKA 9982 despite knowing she had to die :smith:

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Yeah this episode was quite intense, I have a feeling we're in for a ride. Even for those of us who knew this was coming, it still wasn't any less brutal and I assume we're going to see Misaka fighting for her life, which means we'll get to see her use everything she has. You rarely get to see her go all out, so the next episode should make for some good action.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
God drat it. I really thought 9982 was going to make it out and maybe meet up with Last Order or something. Even after the leg. Right up until Accelerator started to walk towards the railcar. And then... I knew... ZA WARUDO!!! http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8vqclM9r01r239fno1_400.gif

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This episode made me immediately go and reread a couple of the english Railgun manga book releases that I own. I cannot WAIT for this poo poo to get animated, if this episode is any indication of the quality we're in for.

I'm also going to say as a warning to anyone who hasn't read the manga yet for whatever reason, but they're in this thread watching the show: DON'T READ THE MANGA. It's not bad or anything, I like it quite a bit. There's just some amazingly badass stuff coming up that I think will be a lot more awesome to witness animated if you don't already know what is about to happen.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
There needs to be a gif of the slapfight.

As for the ESP hacking, she still needs to use a portable computer, I figure she just uses her power to bypass routing, firewalls and other password checks to establish what is basically a direct connection with the data source and any decryption software/key the PC holding the data had. So basically she just Teamviewers into whatever protected PCs. Even physical network separation might not stop her, but proper encryption on the end PCs might. That much protection would be very inconvenient to work with though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poke
Mar 1, 2004
What volume in the light novels is the current arc animated from?

• Locked thread