Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

holocaust bloopers posted:

And there is no debate over landing solidly on the AWACs. It does help with braking because the more weight on the wheels means that braking is effective. Boeing did up a real nice spiel about this in the dash 1 which I don't have currently. A lot of experienced pilots will plant the jet a bit more firmly on slick or snowed runways because of this.

Maybe the debate is cleared up now, but two years ago it was active. It actually came up in that briefing when they were discussing the wet incident, through a line of questioning about whether the pilots put it down too hard (the answer was no, they didn't).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Godholio posted:

What now? Last I heard they were stripping it down to feed all the parts into the spares system, like they did with everything they could recover from the Yukla crash (it's eerie flying on a jet and you see parts inside that have the tail number of a jet that killed everyone on board).

In the space of 30 minutes, that air frame was completely destroyed by big gently caress-off construction equipment. The dome and a bunch of other sensitive/refurbished poo poo had already been removed over the last few months.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Balls 8 was a piece of poo poo anyway. Jet had serious electrical systems issues on the reg.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
gently caress

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

Balls 8 was a piece of poo poo anyway. Jet had serious electrical systems issues on the reg.

Balls 9 is the worst vehicle I've ever been in. Plane, car, boat, whatever. 7 generators down over Baghdad. They almost put it down at BIAP when the last one fried because it didn't kick off. It continued to have problems and all the generators were replaced twice iirc. Eventually CENTAF had enough of buying new parts for it and sent it home. It lost power on the way and spent like 3 weeks in England. Then it shut down the runway at Langley with a high speed abort after the FE panel started smoking. The crew went to the aft door, popped the slide, and it loving broke free and flew away. The brakes melted and Langley doesn't have a big enough jack so they had to bring one over from Norfolk to get it out of the way and reopen the field. It was stuck there for about two weeks...they flew a crew out commercial to work the Langley airshow and use it as a static, then do a mission on the way home with it. It was actually an awesome TDY.

Nog
May 15, 2006

If only he had bloused his boots. Thank God we had a CSM who cared enough to enforce uniform standards.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Something looks.. off in this photo, I can't put my finger on it but something looks.. off.

doesn't that blood look... off? Also why are they wearing woodlands w/ their tans? I thought that whole problem was pretty well solved by 2005.. Is this from before or was that issue not fixed and I just never noticed?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

Something looks.. off in this photo, I can't put my finger on it but something looks.. off.

doesn't that blood look... off? Also why are they wearing woodlands w/ their tans? I thought that whole problem was pretty well solved by 2005.. Is this from before or was that issue not fixed and I just never noticed?

Might be a reserve unit. Although, the answer really is just 'It's the USMC'

Our gear is always years behind everyone else :(

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'm guessing the Woodland IBAs and old school desert boots mean it's probably from early OIF?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Does anybody not see Shia LaBouf in the center?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

DoktorLoken posted:

I'm guessing the Woodland IBAs and old school desert boots mean it's probably from early OIF?

Probably from around '04 to '05. I'm guessing it's from the Second Battle of Fallujah.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
This is an old picture from what I can tell. The tread on those boots is from the old DCU Style. Nobody wears interceptor vests, anymore. No one in the picture is wearing gloves. Nobody, as far as I know, uses PAQ-4s anymore.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

Does anybody not see Shia LaBouf in the center?

I see that. Also the floor pattern makes the blood look like strawberry jam in a weird way.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world

ripped0ff posted:

If only he had bloused his boots. Thank God we had a CSM who cared enough to enforce uniform standards.

Probably has white socks on too.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

According to a post on militaryphotos.net (which didn't give a source):

quote:

Kilo Co. 3rd Battalion 1st Marines continue house to house fighting in Fallujah for a fifth day, in an effort to dislodge insurgents on Saturday, Nov. 13, 2004. After entering a house to clear it of remaining insurgents, a stand-off lasted for more than an hour, as the Marines struggled to evacuate their casualties under fire. Finally able to exit the building, engineers implemented a 20 lb. satchel charge of C-4 high explosive to demolish the structure.

Edit: They've got some pretty interesting photos over there.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 29, 2013

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
When could landing a cobra next to a convoy (probably a hot area) possibly be a good idea?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Rude. posted:

When could landing a cobra next to a convoy (probably a hot area) possibly be a good idea?

When it was heading to that area anyway, so they threw some supplies on it? I'm just guessing, based on the small stack of poo poo next to it on the left of the pic.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

When it was heading to that area anyway, so they threw some supplies on it? I'm just guessing, based on the small stack of poo poo next to it on the left of the pic.

According to the post I pulled it from, it had just gotten repaired in April 03. I guess they had to do a precautionary landing due to an emergency and that was the best place to land.

vains
May 26, 2004

Rude. posted:

Judging by the fact that the convoy isn't herringboned or anything, not that dangerous.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

So... did that guy live?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Do any of us, really?

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

I'm surprised this didn't go into full production based on looks alone.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 29, 2013

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Raimundus posted:

So... did that guy live?

3/1 lost 3 Marines on 13NOV2004, one of which was awarded a bronze star posthumously. So, maybe :shrug:

RIP

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

Still better than ACUs.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
DCUs were pretty much the best camouflage for Iraq. Hell, even the woodland IBAs and other misc gear didn't really matter. I never really got to see much of the marine patterns in action so I would assume they worked pretty well too, given that they actually brought a desert pattern to the desert.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

God drat, this dude must have felt some wedgies in his day.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
I'm sure he died rich.

What's the protocol if/when an enlisted, active-duty woman becomes pregnant? Has it changed since women were allowed in combat?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

She becomes non-deployable during the pregnancy and for a period of time after (I don't know how long). If she's already deployed, she goes home and gets in trouble. She wears preggo versions of uniforms and eventually will probably get to wear athletic shoes instead of boots in uniform.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Godholio posted:

She becomes non-deployable during the pregnancy and for a period of time after (I don't know how long). If she's already deployed, she goes home and gets in trouble. She wears preggo versions of uniforms and eventually will probably get to wear athletic shoes instead of boots in uniform.

Don't forget the option to extend non-deployability for breastfeeding (usually approved by commanders in my experience) and the possibility of getting out of the service entirely depending on your career field. In other great news, there may be absolutely no consequences to getting pregnant once you have orders to deploy in hand, even if you openly discuss not taking your contraceptives for this very purpose. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it on more than one occasion.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Don't forget the free 40 days of leave after birth and all the sick days she gets leading up to the pregnancy.

Not to mention the days she gets off when the little angel is sick and no one else can take care of him/her because daycare won't take them sick.

"Pink eye takes at least 4 days to go away, right?"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You guys sound like you're complaining, but do you really want them around all day talking about their loving babies?

Edit: V Exactly! Let them sit home and gently caress off on facebook instead of ruining my day.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 29, 2013

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

You say that like they don't do that already.

vains
May 26, 2004

I imagine that the feeling of immense satisfaction one experiences after a large or hard fought bowel movement is akin to how women feel after childbirth. I know that I admire the size, shape and color of any truly noteworthy shits and share pictures with friends and family because I assume they're as interested in it as I am.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Godholio posted:

Balls 9 is the worst vehicle I've ever been in. Plane, car, boat, whatever. 7 generators down over Baghdad. They almost put it down at BIAP when the last one fried because it didn't kick off. It continued to have problems and all the generators were replaced twice iirc. Eventually CENTAF had enough of buying new parts for it and sent it home. It lost power on the way and spent like 3 weeks in England. Then it shut down the runway at Langley with a high speed abort after the FE panel started smoking. The crew went to the aft door, popped the slide, and it loving broke free and flew away. The brakes melted and Langley doesn't have a big enough jack so they had to bring one over from Norfolk to get it out of the way and reopen the field. It was stuck there for about two weeks...they flew a crew out commercial to work the Langley airshow and use it as a static, then do a mission on the way home with it. It was actually an awesome TDY.

Just flew on balls 9 last week. Now I'm worried.

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
Guy posting about Egypt and Brightstar
Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nntAzkNVgMI
Thread
Here

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

GateheaD posted:

Guy posting about Egypt and Brightstar
Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nntAzkNVgMI
Thread
Here

I will never again complain about being behind a cherry jumper. Can't promise I won't switch positions with him so he's behind me.

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.

Christoff posted:

I feel enough time has elapsed to post this again

I can't be the only one whose eyes are drawn to the bizarrely-short wheelbase of the truck in the background...

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I guess you could call this a "flame-thrower", but not in the traditional sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbKy33Su-Do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

hazza posted:

I can't be the only one whose eyes are drawn to the bizarrely-short wheelbase of the truck in the background...

That's a bobtail, which is a very common truck in Air Force maintenance. So yes. Yes, you are the only one.

• Locked thread