Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dinky Duck Race posted:

Attack on Touhou

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

CommissarMega posted:

"PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE KAPPA BEHIND THE CURTAIN!"

And at the end of it all, Marisa steals Sanae's ruby geta :v:

And she was all ready to go do the "No place like home" thing and return back to New York City where she came from, but that loving Marisa!!! Now she's stuck in Gensokyo forever! :argh:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DrSunshine posted:

And she was all ready to go do the "No place like home" thing and return back to New York City where she came from, but that loving Marisa!!! Now she's stuck in Gensokyo forever! :argh:

And the Good Baabaa of the East looks at it all and smiles. Just as planned.

Also, have some Reisen's Bizarre Adventure and a Setz comic I don't think JosephWongKS has posted yet.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clarste posted:

What's Reimu doing in what's otherwise a collection of second-to-last bosses?

Because reimu is that one character that's really amazing.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Clarste posted:

What's Reimu doing in what's otherwise a collection of second-to-last bosses?

Reimu is the second-to-last boss if you play PoFV as Komachi so techincally she belongs there :spergin:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So the cover for HM/13.5 got revealed!

...The heck is that blob even supposed to look like? I know we've criticized the really weird art for the portraits so far but if that's a humanoid then they really take the cake. Well, unless they're wearing some really fancy clothes or something. Lotsa branches around too. Unless those are weird fireballs?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I dunno but Hopeless Masquerade sounds pretty incredibly badass. Sort of like referencing the Fey or faeries or something.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Looks pretty recognizable to me, the bottom half is obviously a dress and two feet (looks like a floating pose with feet together to me), and the top is a head in the center, 4 protrusions or floating fireballs or something on the sides, and two wide-sleeved arms below those.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I think it might be a footprint.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

HM actually stands for "Halloween Mask". The girl is wearing a pumpkin for a dress, and is surrounded by floating will-o'-the-wisp ghosts.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clearly all religions lose to the one true faith of Druidism

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Zoroastrian shrine maiden detected.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Namtab posted:

Clearly all religions lose to the one true faith of Druidism

That's an odd way to spell Scientology :lron:

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Why is that silhouette holding a banana split?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
The bell/chime things in the background obviously mean something. What are those winged things? Butterflies, or just weird looking flowers?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I've worked it out from the silhouette guys.

I'm p.sure the new touhou is a girl

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Let's not get ridiculous with our speculation here.

(My uncle who works at Team Shanghai Alice tells me the new character can shoot bullets!)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Insider information has it that the new character will have frills and a hat.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm actually ZUN irl. The new character will live in Gensokyo. Don't tell anyone.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Namtab posted:

I'm actually ZUN irl. The new character will live in Gensokyo. Don't tell anyone.

I know I'm simply ruining the joke, but quite a lot of characters don't live in Gensokyo proper. Usually other dimensions or afterlives. Yuyuko, Eiki, Tenshi, Miko... Just counting final bosses those are actually 1/2. Only 50% of Windows Era final bosses live in Gensokyo.

So, uh... that's not actually a safe bet to make.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clarste posted:

I know I'm simply ruining the joke, but quite a lot of characters don't live in Gensokyo proper. Usually other dimensions or afterlives. Yuyuko, Eiki, Tenshi, Miko... Just counting final bosses those are actually 1/2. Only 50% of Windows Era final bosses live in Gensokyo.

So, uh... that's not actually a safe bet to make.

Those dimensions themselves are within Gensokyo. QED

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Yes, I'm reasonably (95% CI) confident that the new game will A) take place in Gensokyo, and B) involve girls in frilly outfits.

However, this begs the question:

Where is Gensokyo?

Hold on! Let me Google it...

...I don't think I can get there by public transit. :(

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

It's simple. Ride around on a train until it happens to be the one that Yukari summons out of her portal, then in that split second JUMP THE gently caress OUT.

Good luck. I am eating dirt with Reimu as I type this.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Artificer posted:

It's simple. Ride around on a train until it happens to be the one that Yukari summons out of her portal, then in that split second JUMP THE gently caress OUT.

Good luck. I am eating dirt with Reimu as I type this.

How many bars do you get in Gensokyo? Does the network there have at least 3G coverage? I cannot live without my mobile connection.

EDIT: Is it safe there? The Lonely Planet Guide says there's a problem with rampant public drunkenness and meth.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 28, 2013

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Apparently Yukari gaps in humans she thinks are interesting. All you guys must just be boring as gently caress.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I ended up in Berkeley, which is a different sort of land of fantasy and illusion.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

How many bars do you get in Gensokyo? Does the network there have at least 3G coverage? I cannot live without my mobile connection.

EDIT: Is it safe there? The Lonely Planet Guide says there's a problem with rampant public drunkenness and meth.

Ask Nitori.

In unrelated news, I need to figure out how to groom my hair now that I've got an antennae shoved into the back of my head.

I'm not sure about meth but as part of the rent the crazy white-haired doctor lady keeps injecting me with stuff.

Send help.

Anyways, after IN, which is generally considered to be the next easiest?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Artificer posted:

Ask Nitori.

In unrelated news, I need to figure out how to groom my hair now that I've got an antennae shoved into the back of my head.

I'm not sure about meth but as part of the rent the crazy white-haired doctor lady keeps injecting me with stuff.

Send help.

I think most people call Ten Desires the easiest one now, though Mountain of Faith is likely number 3 for least difficult.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Yukari also presumably kidnaps humans from the outside world as food for Gensokyo's youkai population, so you fat fucks are liable to become part of an all-you-can-eat buffet.

exhibit A:

Artificer posted:

Ten Desires is the only one I can 1CC on Normal without losing a single life, so I'm gonna say that one's even easier than IN.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Artificer posted:

Phantasmagoria of Flower View is pretty easy, but probably not what you're looking for. Otherwise Ten Desires was pretty easy to get going on.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Ten Desires is really boring, though. Mountain of Faith is a much better choice.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Funny, I know people with the exact opposite opinion.

Artificer posted:

Between TD and MoF, TD is by far the easier game and IMO the better experience. But since you've started with IN, I'd recommend MoF since it will definitely wean you from the "MUST CONSERVE ALL BOMBS EVER :downs:" mindset IN's relaxed deathbombs probably gave you.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

DrSunshine posted:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Namtab posted:

Those dimensions themselves are within Gensokyo. QED

Um... they're not? I guess you're trying to generalize Gensokyo as "the place where Touhou takes place" but for the purposes of the story they're definitely not. The Netherworld is connected to both Gensokyo and the real world, and Eiki is the highest judge of "Xanadu", not Gensokyo, although presumably this is a jurisdiction that includes Gensokyo. In SoPM Miko explicitly says she doesn't live in Gensokyo after the others assume she does, and Heaven is considered analogous to the Lunar Capital, which as you may recall is kinda sorta at war with Gensokyo, at least as far as Yukari is concerned. They'd certainly be disgusted at the thought of being included in Gensokyo.

For the purposes of the story, Gensokyo is a particular yet vaguely defined place in Japan surrounded by a magical barrier that preserves fantastic things inside it. Anything outside that barrier isn't part of Gensokyo, yet fantasy things can live outside it and half the plots of the game revolve around new immigrants. And the other half invaders. Also, it's not that vague, in that devoted fans have narrowed it down to a certain region based on various geographic clues. Most specifically, Youkai Mountain is identified with a real mountain range in CiLR.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Funny, I know people with the exact opposite opinion.

Between TD and MoF, TD is by far the easier game and IMO the better experience. But since you've started with IN, I'd recommend MoF since it will definitely wean you from the "MUST CONSERVE ALL BOMBS EVER :downs:" mindset IN's relaxed deathbombs probably gave you.

Thanks for the tip. Not sure about the death bombs though. I learned to bomb before I die because then it's like 2 bombs for the price of 1!

That's how I 1cced Normal on IN. By bombing like a motherfucker.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Artificer posted:

That's how I 1cced Normal on IN. By bombing like a motherfucker.

This is the winning strategy in most of the games.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Artificer posted:

Thanks for the tip. Not sure about the death bombs though. I learned to bomb before I die because then it's like 2 bombs for the price of 1!

Something I still need to remember is that bombs aren't just for when you're about to be screwed over. You can use them to do damage.

I've been banging my head against SA for what feels like far too long, while only managing to make it to stage 6 twice. I think I'll try TD, since UFO's gimmick is completely worthless to me.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The secret to TD is to activate Trance every time there's two or more pink/green spirits on the screen.

(The secret to UFO is to plot out what UFOs you want.)

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

BlitzBlast posted:

That's something of a problem when I can only reliably identify 1/3 UFO colours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Everybody says that, but I just grab 'em as I see them and I'm fine. People really exaggerate how necessary it is to totally memorise the location of every single UFO. Just don't be afraid to let a couple UFOs leave the screen if getting them would waste a life and/or bomb and you won't get into negatives.