Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Regnevelc posted:

Seeing Ghostface tomorrow night, pretty psyched about it. I love the new album.

It's a good warmup to see Wu-Tang at Bonnaroo this year.

What'd you think of the show? I saw him in Chicago the night of the 26th and almost walked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
drat really? What was so bad? I've seen a bunch of photos, and I loved the album, I can't imagine it was "space ghost purrrrp" bad live....

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Johnny Truant posted:

What'd you think of the show? I saw him in Chicago the night of the 26th and almost walked out.

I loved it. Once I get back to my computer at home ill put up some pictures.

My wife told Killah Priest that his pants were ready to fall down (dude wears bikini cut underwear, lol). So he was interacting with our group all night. During the encore we all started moshing. And he was moshing with us from the stage. It was awesome.

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 28, 2013

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

THNDRTHF posted:

drat really? What was so bad? I've seen a bunch of photos, and I loved the album, I can't imagine it was "space ghost purrrrp" bad live....

When I saw him they were two hours late getting on stage, then his "band" with Adrian Younge came on, no Ghostface, and played R&B style songs, all in the same key, for forty five minutes, ignoring the chants for Ghostface. He finally came on, performed maybe six songs including Protect Ya Neck where he didn't know Meth's opening verse so he had two people from the audience come up to do it for him. One got booed off the stage the other did Meth's verse, then they just stopped playing the song. He bitched about the lights for around five minutes before then leaving the stage and having his band perform, again in the same key, songs that sounded identical to their earlier songs. Ghostface came back on and performed a few more songs, then they were done.

Killah Priest rapped as much, if not more, than Ghostface himself. Adrian bounced from the keys to the bass to, at one point, an un-mic'd alto saxophone, performing mediocre at best on each instrument. The drummer played generic rock beats, 1 and 3, 2 and 4, the entire show while also being one of "those drummers" who twirled his sticks and tried to show off the entire time.

Was such a disappointing show, the high points being taking my photo with Adrian because he's still an amazing producer, and realizing that the guitar/flautist looked hilariously like Ron Jeremy.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

When I saw him they were two hours late getting on stage, then his "band" with Adrian Younge came on, no Ghostface, and played R&B style songs, all in the same key, for forty five minutes, ignoring the chants for Ghostface. He finally came on, performed maybe six songs including Protect Ya Neck where he didn't know Meth's opening verse so he had two people from the audience come up to do it for him. One got booed off the stage the other did Meth's verse, then they just stopped playing the song. He bitched about the lights for around five minutes before then leaving the stage and having his band perform, again in the same key, songs that sounded identical to their earlier songs. Ghostface came back on and performed a few more songs, then they were done.

Killah Priest rapped as much, if not more, than Ghostface himself. Adrian bounced from the keys to the bass to, at one point, an un-mic'd alto saxophone, performing mediocre at best on each instrument. The drummer played generic rock beats, 1 and 3, 2 and 4, the entire show while also being one of "those drummers" who twirled his sticks and tried to show off the entire time.

Was such a disappointing show, the high points being taking my photo with Adrian because he's still an amazing producer, and realizing that the guitar/flautist looked hilariously like Ron Jeremy.

I saw a Raekwon show a few years back and it was pretty much this.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

http://guccimane1017bricksquad.bandcamp.com/album/the-best-of-gucci-mane

PUT A SHIRT ON. (Link this next time someone asks about gucci for the 45th time)

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I take my shirt off n all tha hoes stop breathin!!

I was just working out in front of my lifesize gucci poster, im aiming for his physique

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

RBX posted:

PUT A SHIRT ON. (Link this next time someone asks about gucci for the 45th time)

Well this has made my life a lot easier. Thanks.

EDIT: gently caress this is good. I don't care if Gucci takes off his shirt. When you make music this good you can do whatever the gently caress you want.

asap-salafi fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 29, 2013

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011

RBX posted:

Big belly, still take my shirt off like Nelly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tall stacks up in my closet I can't even see my clothes
And my belly get so big I can hardly see my toes

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

want to give fat gucci a big hug

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWZBchgVSvc

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

So Kilo Kush dropped a really good mixtape/album 2 months ago that hasn't got much press. Part Singing, part rapping, sort of reminiscent of cassie but really dope. features include asap ferg, flatbush zombies, childish gambino (lol), and vince staples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soJFtg0G6sI

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012
the homie worldwide just dropped a new video for his song off his last tape 'ga$ money'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH5qBmn_gqY

got cameos from lns crew, doughbeezy, the loegz .... few other cats

also i have a radio podcast fridays 5-7 on kvrx.org ... ive been playing nothing but texas hiphop/electronica, check out the tracks. you might find some new heat you had slept on

the first set focused on austin music, the second one is more texas as a whole

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

RBX posted:

Lame, this is just like his 40 most recent singles. Old gucci is best gucci.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Nice production on that. This has got to be the first rap video that features a Camry and Arizona Iced Tea as its product placements.

Ab is killin it.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Andrés stuff on that Amy Winehouse cover he did with Beyoncé is the worst thing he's ever done.
HOLLYWOOD HOLT GOT ROBBED https://soundcloud.com/samisfiction/back-to-black-been-trill

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

thathonkey posted:

Nice production on that. This has got to be the first rap video that features a Camry and Arizona Iced Tea as its product placements.

Ab is killin it.

This is the best song I've heard in a while.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I love the just blaze style beats -- big percussion and samples soul music -- like Touch the Sky, I am Forgiven, or the Joy (Curtis Mayfield owns). Any lesser known raps that have a similar sound? Shame by Gibbs is another one.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah that Gucci collection isn't very good. I'm gonna upload a Best of Gucci torrent that will be 10x better.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

Boywhiz88 posted:

Honestly, you have to wonder if Juicy has figured out the right combination of uppers and downers to keep his body in stasis. It's ridiculous. I'm sad I can't see him on this tour, he's not touching the Twin Cities. Just Wisconsin :/ I've heard his live shows are also a ton of fun.

he's probably doing the same number of drugs as the number of people he shot or killed IRL when he was in Three 6 Mafia.

youngallah posted:

hey yall, i know yall just read blogs with EAST COAST/WEST COAST BIAS so even the people from texas in this thread dont know poo poo about new up and coming texas hiphop (for the most part)

besides what you're doing, people could also peep Thafixx.com or Pushermania's blog or twitter for Texas rap news. I wish Magno would drop something new.

THNDRTHF posted:

Also - I just realized Ice-T "You Played Yourself" is the same James Brown sample (The Boss) as "Get Down" by Nas.

Any other multiple sample flips you recognize? Kind of a hip-hop "who wore it better" lol.

http://www.whosampled.com/sampled/James%20Brown/?ob=2&sp=102

thathonkey posted:

Edit: just read the pitchfork review of "Camp" goddamn, they hit the nail on the head. Every once in a blue moon there is a really good review with keen insights to be found on that site.
pitchfork isn't just one reviewer.

Definitely coincidental, is how in the last three years, I've come across three mysterious rappers. :iiam:

back in summer 2010, I linked yall to Earl's first video when he and his whereabouts were unknown.
http://i.imgur.com/DDYqRXJ.png

back in february 2012, I came across Lil Ugly Mane, his history was unknown, but quickly his race was discovered.

and this year, I've come across Spark Master Tape.

This guy is probably white, is more on the gangster tip like Lil Ugly Mane, and masks his vocals like Lil Ugly Mane,
and his newest video is on some creepy / shock / horrorcore gimmick that ties in well with the Earl video and
some of Ugly Mane's theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53sdsM1SLnc

I'm not sure if "Paper Platoon" is some Shawn Kemp dual personality rapper/producer thing going on, but it's possible.
Either way, the Platoon and SMT know how to make banging beats and a well polished album. I guess shout out to
DJ Charlie Chicken Soup, also???

Oh, and his mixtape album cover reminds me of Earl's with the white kid on it.
http://i.imgur.com/Bzys80u.jpg

it seems that the only places that have blogged about SMT are Worldstar, Steady Bloggin', and Mishka Bloglin.

He released his first single/video "Amber Rose Pussy" back in 2011, though; so he's been around for a minute.

"Bullet Holes" is the jam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74oWm2nQU1Q

cardedagain fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 29, 2013

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

cardedagain posted:

Definitely coincidental, is how in the last three years, I've come across three mysterious rappers. :iiam:

back in summer 2010, I linked yall to Earl's first video when he and his whereabouts were unknown.
http://i.imgur.com/DDYqRXJ.png

back in february 2012, I came across Lil Ugly Mane, his history was unknown, but quickly his race was discovered.

and this year, I've come across Spark Master Tape.

This guy is probably white, is more on the gangster tip like Lil Ugly Mane, and masks his vocals like Lil Ugly Mane,
and his newest video is on some creepy / shock / horrorcore gimmick that ties in well with the Earl video and
some of Ugly Mane's theme.

This isn't bad but really, I'm pretty sure dudes was talking about Earl before then. And I KNOW people knew about Lil Ugly Mane before 2012 because he was on that SGP tape and there was footage of him performing with Lord Infamous.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

cardedagain posted:

pitchfork isn't just one reviewer.

No poo poo. I was talking about Pitchfork as an organization: sometimes their reviews are pretty insightful, sometimes they are unimaginative and terrible.

You mean to tell me P4K isn't a blog maintained by one guy???

edit:

chance the rapper posted:

Lean all on the square, that's a fuckin' rhombus

Ok I'm slow. This is a great line. I am really warming up to Chance, mixtape comes out tomorrow?

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 29, 2013

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Johnny Truant posted:

Bad Ghostface Experience.

I had the opposite experience, but I also don't know much about music and generic beats, etc and so forth.

We were front and center and Killah Priest interacted with our group the entire time, which was badass. I will admit Venice Dawn did play too long as the intro to Ghostface (coulda cut that time in half), but the venue was hopping. They had one too many opening acts (3 + Venice Dawn before GFK), but two of them were actually pretty good, so that was fine. The show started at 9:30 and we left at a little after 1. GFK was up there for over an hour though.

My buddy got the setlist signed by Adrian Younge and Killah Priest.

All in all, I had a great time, but then again, I haven't had a bad concert experience. I can get into about anything live and I just have a fun time with it all.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

RBX posted:

Yeah that Gucci collection isn't very good. I'm gonna upload a Best of Gucci torrent that will be 10x better.

Ahh I think its great. I've not checked out his old mixtapes because a lot of the stuff is really hit and miss for me, whereas I can listen to that 40 track album without skipping.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

What's this chance dude doing with his hands/upper body during his verse? Looks like he's having violent spasms of some kind

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
don't worry he's just turnt up

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
throwing bows and whatnot.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Throwing wrists

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
i was more worried about his furby eyes tbh

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
It is interesting to see what effects lsd might have on musicians in genres outside of lovely jam band bs and classic rock.

We know at least the underachievers, chance, and danny are acquainted with lucy. Any other notable rap artists that i am missing?

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
I was doing acid rap 10 years ago, but my relative obscurity didn't much further the genre I'm sad to say.

Glad that these kids are running with the concept, cuz I can't afford to do any more acid nowadays. My mind is hanging by a thread. One more hallucinogenic experience and I'm gonna fuckin lose it.

I would probably say Mr. MFNXquire counts, and probably El-P although he doesn't advertise like that.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
I think Cosmogramma was based on a DMT experience Flylo had.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
I think FlyLo is based on a DMT experience, period.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Can we make it a thread rule that if you are going to post a link to a song (youtube or otherwise) that you should at least have to label it. It takes like 10 seconds of :effort:

(I know about the Youtube embed feature, but choose to leave it off because I browse on my phone a lot and in threads like this you can easily get like 5-10 embedded players on a page. Not CPU friendly.)

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

THNDRTHF posted:

I was doing acid rap 10 years ago, but my relative obscurity didn't much further the genre I'm sad to say.

Glad that these kids are running with the concept, cuz I can't afford to do any more acid nowadays. My mind is hanging by a thread. One more hallucinogenic experience and I'm gonna fuckin lose it.

I would probably say Mr. MFNXquire counts, and probably El-P although he doesn't advertise like that.

Aesop Rock had some really emo rap song about giving up acid, called something like The Greatest Pac-Man Victory of All Time and I think there was a verse where he alternated words starting in the letters L, S, and D. This was around the time I had a ton of friends who were into Aesop Rock but I wasn't.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

alansmithee posted:

This isn't bad but really, I'm pretty sure dudes was talking about Earl before then. And I KNOW people knew about Lil Ugly Mane before 2012 because he was on that SGP tape and there was footage of him performing with Lord Infamous.

nah, I really was the first person in here talking about earl in July 2010 when his video was only on vimeo. I mentioned OF on SA first.check the archived hip hop thread. I don't lie about things. like this lord infamous statement I'm wondering about. Where's this video at?

I wonder what esham has to say about acid rap.

cardedagain fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 29, 2013

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

cardedagain posted:

nah, I really was the first person in here talking about earl in July 2010 when his video was only on vimeo. I mentioned OF on SA first.check the archived hip hop thread. I don't lie about things. like this lord infamous statement I'm wondering about. Where's this video at?

I wonder what esham has to say about acid rap.

I know I heard of Earl before SA, thinking maybe it was Noz? Can't remember for sure, but it's not big either way.

And I found the Lord Infamous/Lil Ugly Mane concert footage from a google search when I was trying to find out more about Ugly Mane after hearing him on SGP's best song on his best album ("my hood" and "blackland radio 66.6" in case anyone didn't know). I remember after seeing him in the videos I thought dude was corny as hell so I ignored mista thug isolation when it first came out (which was a mistake in hindsight).

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

thathonkey posted:

It is interesting to see what effects lsd might have on musicians in genres outside of lovely jam band bs and classic rock.

We know at least the underachievers, chance, and danny are acquainted with lucy. Any other notable rap artists that i am missing?

Ab-Soul's Pineal Gland is about DMT. I think Meech from Flatbush Zombies goes as L.S.Darko too, and considering their output I wouldn't be surprised if there was a connection there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Parachute Underwear posted:

Ab-Soul's Pineal Gland is about DMT. I think Meech from Flatbush Zombies goes as L.S.Darko too, and considering their output I wouldn't be surprised if there was a connection there.

Im not a detective but the fact they rap about taking acid may indicate that have a connection (idk??)

Content:
A cool song featuring the zombies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9RL8Te2taw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Locked thread