Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Congratulations! I like to think I played a (very) small part by encouraging your romantic engagement. Glad it turned out with love and marriage. Hope the food is delicious. (It will be.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

:tipshat:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

dino. posted:

Hope the food is delicious. (It will be.)

Wiggles, post pics of the food please!

Oh and goonratulations!

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

That's amazing :allears:

Can someone explain what surstromming actually smells like? Also, I feel bad for the guy that gets sprayed with the juice when they first open the can, he'd never get that smell off his clothes.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

That surstrømming is nothing. The can isn't even bulging. It smells rotten but complex. There's a certain spicyness to it, though it is rarely eaten like in the clip. Norway has fermented trout and it's eaten in a potato tortilla with lots of sour cream and red onion. The rotten fish just adds a bite to it. My first time I took huge chunks of fish and started dry heaving. It's very much a mental thing than a reaction to the taste. I really like the aftertaste.

BlueGrot fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 27, 2013

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Congrats Wiggles!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

"You know what this reminds me of? A girl I ate out at a bar in Moscow."

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

hahahaha you sucker

e: in all seriousness, congrats. Being married is pretty fun.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Congrats wiggles!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Don't do it!

E: too late.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Wiggles would you take a Costco membership as a wedding present?

(congrats!)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Cheers Wiggles!

GrAviTy84 posted:

Where in the East Bay do you live? I grew up in Fremont and my parents still live there so I'm there pretty often.

I live in Richmond, but I'm always keen to learn about new eateries in the Bay and don't mind a drive. A buddy of mine once told me that the best Persian food in northern California was somewhere in the South Bay but I forget where he said it was.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

South Bay is pretty cool.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Chemmy posted:

[The] Bay [Area] is [fuckin'] cool.

yes it is.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Chemmy posted:

South Bay is pretty cool.

Gross.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
It's drat near midnight and my disco nap means I'm assembling a smoker on the roof while smoking j's, in preparation for my joint birthday party tomorrow with an ex. There are two racks of ribs to dry rub and a 10lb eye-round in the fridge that I'll set to brining in a minute. There will be cases of bubbles (because like fully half of my guests are bartenders), and it will likely end in tears and/or drunken sex.

Happy Birthday, gently caress Death.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
Just threw a bbq party for at least 30 people last night. Woke up drunk and full, so I think that went well and there's reasonably little mess remaining in the kitchen and the bar.

Also made BBQ sauce from scratch for the first time. I like the results. I will call it Whiskey Tangy Foxsauce

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

BBQ party pals!

I'm smoking ribs, going to make some modernist mac n cheese as a side, serving with a case of Pliny the Elder. Should be a good afternoon.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I had the guests cover the sides, so I could work as little as possible :) Someone made pimiento cheese grits which was a great idea.

Despite trying to kill my guests with pounds of memphis style bbq, I still have a fridge full of pulled pork. That poo poo feeds an army!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Chemmy posted:

BBQ party pals!

I'm smoking ribs, going to make some modernist mac n cheese as a side, serving with a case of Pliny the Elder. Should be a good afternoon.
drat. drat. drat.

For what it's worth my ultimate take on the modernist mac and cheese is to use Cacio, an italian sheep's milk cheese, and using a shitload of pepper. Sort of like modernist mac and cheese/high-octane Cacio e Pepe. I can almost guarantee that it is the best mac and cheese in the world.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

As much as I like living in the country, I am in Madison for the day and I really miss living in a city. Think it's time to find a real job and move.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Casu Marzu posted:

As much as I like living in the country, I am in Madison for the day and I really miss living in a city. Think it's time to find a real job and move.

Sounds like you should come to a real city.

New York City best city.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I love New York. Except for the New Yorkers.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

4/29 Smoke Fish Every Day.

God I need to buy a smoker.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Do you use a stovetop smoker? I got one for christmas and haven't put it to the test yet. Alder wood?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Austin is the best city. Also, hard to find alder down here, most carry post oak, mesquite, hickory, cherry, and apple.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Austin is the best city. Also, hard to find alder down here, most carry post oak, mesquite, hickory, cherry, and apple.

I have been here for about 6 years now, and while Austin is a pretty good city, definitely not the best that I have lived in. Gothenburg and Dallas definitely rank above, Stockholm also but not by as much. Unless you were specifically saying that it is the best BBQ city, which is undoubtedly true.

I am also not sure why you would say that it is hard to find Alder down here. The three HEBs closest to me all have at least Alder chips, and the one closest to me has chunks (I haven't looked at the other 2).

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

How hard can it really be to find Alder? I have three BRANDS of Alder to pick from in my country bumpkin Alabama Publix store.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Doom Rooster posted:

I am also not sure why you would say that it is hard to find Alder down here. The three HEBs closest to me all have at least Alder chips, and the one closest to me has chunks (I haven't looked at the other 2).

Myp produce supplier doesn't carry alder, the HEB on I35 and Wm Cannon doesn't have it, and our purchasing mgr. claims sysco doesn't carry it either. He also claims Sysco doesn't carry mesquite liquid smoke, so he may just be lying.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Casu Marzu posted:

I love New York. Except for the New Yorkers.

:(

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

You're (to my knowledge) not a Yankees fan and you don't have a NYC accent so you're safe.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Myp produce supplier doesn't carry alder, the HEB on I35 and Wm Cannon doesn't have it, and our purchasing mgr. claims sysco doesn't carry it either. He also claims Sysco doesn't carry mesquite liquid smoke, so he may just be lying.

I don't know anything about any local suppliers since I have been out of the industry for about a decade now, but I absolutely do believe your purchasing manager, because Sysco was awful in pretty much every way possible when I still had to deal with them.

If it's worth the trip for you, the HEB at Parmer and 35 had medium bags of Alder chunks last time I checked. Below the small bags of chips, above the giant bags of chunks, in a black mesh bag.

Edit:
"last time I checked" disclaimer because I loving love HEB, but smoke woods have been really, really inconsistent. Sometimes my closest HEB will have Oak, Cherry, Apple, Alder, Hickory, Mesquite, Pecan, all in chips/chunks, and other times they will be out of everything but giant bags of Mesquite/Hickory chunks for weeks.

If nothing else, you could probably talk to the purchasing manager at your closest HEB about getting a special order in, since HEB definitely does make/brand/sell the stuff.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 29, 2013

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I still love you dino.

Bleh. Great day, lovely night. Ate a bison, drank a beer and a negroni, bought a longboard. Proceeded to dent my knee wiping out on my longboard. Hit a fuckin raccoon the size of a hippo on the way home.It dented in my radiator and spilled coolant all over the interstate. Ended up getting towed by the reincarnation of Gomer Pyle.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I like new yorkers.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

BlueGrot posted:

I like new yorkers.

I don't. Sometimes their sports teams defeat my sport steams, and therefore I want them all dead.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Squashy Nipples posted:

I don't. Sometimes their sports teams defeat my sport steams, and therefore I want them all dead.

It's not our fault our teams have the best players.

And by best players I mean the most money available to pay them

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I hope you were able to smell the sarcasm on that one, I'm not much of a sports fan. The worst part of living in Boston is having to pretend that you like the Red Sox.

I HATE baseball. I watch a little hockey, and the occasional NFL game, but that's it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Squashy Nipples posted:

I hope you were able to smell the sarcasm on that one, I'm not much of a sports fan. The worst part of living in Boston is having to pretend that you like the Red Sox.

I HATE baseball. I watch a little hockey, and the occasional NFL game, but that's it.
I know that feeling. Living in Minneapolis means having to pretend to care at all about the Twins.

Can someone explain the draw of football and/or baseball to me? Because every time I've watched a game, it's been "watch a bunch of guys stand around for 5 minutes, see ten seconds of something I guess you could call 'action', repeat for 3-4 hours". At least with hockey there's always something happening when the clock is moving, and said clock doesn't stop very often.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

I know that feeling. Living in Minneapolis means having to pretend to care at all about the Twins.

Can someone explain the draw of football and/or baseball to me? Because every time I've watched a game, it's been "watch a bunch of guys stand around for 5 minutes, see ten seconds of something I guess you could call 'action', repeat for 3-4 hours". At least with hockey there's always something happening when the clock is moving, and said clock doesn't stop very often.

People in Atlanta only care about the sports teams here when they are winning. For the pro teams anyway. College sports tend to have more die hard fans in the south than pro ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Soooooo

Back at work today and tomorrow, then we're off on honeymoon.

The wedding was perfect in every way. My bride was so absolutely radiant coming down the aisle that I've never seen anyone or anything more beautiful. Every part of the mass went off without a hitch, people cried at the readings, at the prayers, the choir did the music perfectly, the decorations were exactly as we imagined they would be.

I don't know if any photos were taken of the food, but I'll post any photos of it once I get them back from the photographers if they exist. I do know that 125 guests demolished 60 avocados worth of guacamole, 1 gallon of tomatillo salsa and 2 gallons of pico de gallo before my bride an I ever made it down to the hall (in the 45 minutes it took to take photos). The main course foods and salads were enough with not too much left over. 2 cases of bubbly, 4 cases of wine, some beers, and a whole lot of liquor was distributed by the Knights to the guests who were having a very good time dancing to samba and gypsy jazz by the end of it, so I thank everyone here who helped me plan out the amounts of what I would need for every part of the reception.

You goons are the best.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 29, 2013