Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I have looked on ebay in the past few days looking for 'toy crane' - I found that exact toy...but it was collection only, many hour's drive away :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

krushgroove posted:

I have looked on ebay in the past few days looking for 'toy crane' - I found that exact toy...but it was collection only, many hour's drive away :(

Haha, I did exactly the same thing :) Birmingham, was it?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I think it was a Brummie crane :P I have a feeling there'll be goons trying to outbid each other for regionally available toy cranes!

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008

krushgroove posted:

ineptmule posted:

Haha, I did exactly the same thing :) Birmingham, was it?

I got mine here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOWER-CRA...=item257980adb8

Best deal I could find.

Note that the actual thing you get is the one on the picture of the box, not the one plastered allover the rest of the pictures.

Pilgrimski fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 29, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Nice. I've got a ton of stuff I'm ordering tomorrow model-wise, just added this to the list. I've wanted to make a Necromunda-style platform bit of terrain for a while, this will be really cool.

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

SRM posted:

First 7 Goliaths are done!

Steakbomb and Whopper:

Hot Links and Pink Slime:

Porkpie:

Quarter Pounder and Cocktail Weenie:

Necr-owns-munda :v:

Great, great job! Dem caution stripes. Also excellent skin tones and rust.

Considering you have experience with the new goliath models first hand, how possible do you think it would be to convert them for use as ork 'yoofs' for Gorkamorka?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

It's my birthday next week so I have a funny feeling my backlog might grow again, in time for the oath thread.

Here's what I have sitting:
Revell PV1 Ventura (1/32)
Revell Jagdpanther (1/72)
Zvezda Medival Bombard (1/72 built unpainted)
Axademy Stuka (72nd built unpainted)
Academy Jagdpanther (1/25th last in build queue.)

What I have waiting in work to be bought:
Moebius War Machine (1/8th)
Revell Constellation (1/144)
Academy F-8 Crusader (1/72)

Thats on top of my Dystopian Wars Italian fleet that should be arriving today or tomorrow.

Tell me goons, what should I oath? :p

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Purgey posted:

Necr-owns-munda :v:

Great, great job! Dem caution stripes. Also excellent skin tones and rust.

Considering you have experience with the new goliath models first hand, how possible do you think it would be to convert them for use as ork 'yoofs' for Gorkamorka?

Thanks!

How extensive would your conversions be? They'd make great Diggas, but I don't know if you're planning headswaps with Ork heads (which would look silly) or what. I was thinking about doing some more extensive conversion work beyond sawing off hands and weapons and such, but I'd have to resculpt their back muscles and stuff which frankly I'm not quite adept enough to do!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

krushgroove posted:

I got one at a yard sale years back, but now that I can see how to make it more than a single platform it is going to be great. That crane and a stack of AT-43 crates will be an awesome start of an Infinity board.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Indolent Bastard posted:

I got one at a yard sale years back, but now that I can see how to make it more than a single platform it is going to be great. That crane and a stack of AT-43 crates will be an awesome start of an Infinity board.

Apart from the whole sniper nest thing.

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

SRM posted:

Thanks!

How extensive would your conversions be? They'd make great Diggas, but I don't know if you're planning headswaps with Ork heads (which would look silly) or what. I was thinking about doing some more extensive conversion work beyond sawing off hands and weapons and such, but I'd have to resculpt their back muscles and stuff which frankly I'm not quite adept enough to do!

Mostly I was thinking of making a pressmould of older edition orks heads which are small enough. Then I'd GS orky 'neckstumps' to attach them to. I really wish I could find some Gorkamorka boys and just use them as yoofs. They're small enough, but rare as heck (and pricey to boot)

Anyway:

I decided on the color of earth for my desert. I was thinking

Meanwhile, finally applied my sand

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Fix posted:

Apart from the whole sniper nest thing.

I'd plan on saying that anyone up there gets no cover. Great LOS, but it cuts both ways.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Purgey posted:

I decided on the color of earth for my desert. I was thinking

That looks fantastic! Lots more interesting than the standard Desert Yellow sand color. I just finished a six-month term in a conservation corps in Arizona and spent a lot of time building trails in the Sedona Red Rocks district. Might want to google it for some inspiration - adding bands of different rock color and spots of clump foliage in the crevices would really bring the terrain to life without compromising the playability.

Also, have you seen these? More tiny details that would really add some character. The spider-canyon idea is already a great one with some playable risk-reward decisions.

Keep posting that terrain!

SRM posted:

First 7 Goliaths are done!

Looking great. Would have loved it if they were painted and based to match your Catachan so they could sub in as a Veteran Squad with Harker, but I understand wanting them more urban.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

krushgroove posted:

I think it was a Brummie crane :P I have a feeling there'll be goons trying to outbid each other for regionally available toy cranes!

If it'll fit inside a 10" by 13" box I could pick it up for you and put it into the box I'm sending you at the weekend.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So I got me some WW2 germans. I really need to order som Vallejo paint. But I'm still unsure as to what to do with primer. I got some Citadel Black I can use. They are plastic 15mm dudes. Somebody suggested that I get some closer to the german uniform color or something instead but I have no idea where to get that. But I think priming black will be fine. Any guys who have painted WW2 stuff here?

Adrian Finol posted:

Think I'm done. Really happy how he turned out. Next up, the base!

Holy Batman. :eek::fh:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Thundercloud posted:

If it'll fit inside a 10" by 13" box I could pick it up for you and put it into the box I'm sending you at the weekend.

I really appreciate that! But I have enough terrain projects on the go, so if that crane listing that was posted is just a regularly stocked item there's no rush and I'll just order it in the next couple of months sometime. Thanks though :)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Torabi posted:

So I got me some WW2 germans. I really need to order som Vallejo paint. But I'm still unsure as to what to do with primer. I got some Citadel Black I can use. They are plastic 15mm dudes. Somebody suggested that I get some closer to the german uniform color or something instead but I have no idea where to get that. But I think priming black will be fine. Any guys who have painted WW2 stuff here?

I use tamiya grey primer for everything.

It's that cross over point between lightening the whole model and shading the dark areas.

German uniform is very dark, so unless you happen to already have that vallejo primer I'd use your nornal black as your primer, unless youvwant to pick out finer detail.

15mm is 72nd, right? I'd say grey primer so you have that crossover for both light and dark shades but others may have a specific preference.

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

mehall posted:

It's that cross over point between lightening the whole model and shading the dark areas.

German uniform is very dark, so unless you happen to already have that vallejo primer I'd use your nornal black as your primer, unless youvwant to pick out finer detail.

15mm is 72nd, right? I'd say grey primer so you have that crossover for both light and dark shades but others may have a specific preference.

1/72 is roughly 20-22mm, actually. 15mm is just that, 15mm. Although some slight scale creep exists.

As for gray germans I say NAY, sir. 'Feldrau', the wehrmacht's color of choice, is less gray than you'd think. Its more like gray-green, like so:

(foreground coat is felgrau)

It looks beautiful when its done right.

BuffaloChicken posted:

That looks fantastic! Lots more interesting than the standard Desert Yellow sand color. I just finished a six-month term in a conservation corps in Arizona and spent a lot of time building trails in the Sedona Red Rocks district. Might want to google it for some inspiration - adding bands of different rock color and spots of clump foliage in the crevices would really bring the terrain to life without compromising the playability.

Also, have you seen these? More tiny details that would really add some character. The spider-canyon idea is already a great one with some playable risk-reward decisions.

Keep posting that terrain!

Thanks, broski! :v: :respek: :v:

I'm a total sucker for the American southwest. The colors, the alien feeling of the rock faces, the serenity from lack of urban sprawl...

The green patches, scrubgrass and cacti would look good, I think. I wonder where I can find some cactii? I know for certain I want silflor tufts, though!

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

mehall posted:

15mm is 1/107 scale according to pages I found on google. Can't seem to find that primer in Sweden but I'll just stick with my citadel black I suppose. But it might get hard to see all the tiny stuff when it is all black compared to Warhammer models that are larger.

Purgey posted:

1/72 is roughly 20-22mm, actually. 15mm is just that, 15mm. Although some slight scale creep exists.

As for gray germans I say NAY, sir. 'Feldrau', the wehrmacht's color of choice, is less gray than you'd think. Its more like gray-green, like so:

(foreground coat is felgrau)

It looks beautiful when its done right.

Indeed it does. Vallejo has a field grey color and the box of germans that I have even suggest using that, among other colors. Going for a more eastern front look since my friend bought Russians.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Torabi posted:

Vallejo makes a German Grey color that is quite accurate. I think someone recently posted a Steel Legion soldier that used German Gray for the overcoat and it looked awesome. It was subtle, but much less flat then pure black.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BuffaloChicken posted:

Looking great. Would have loved it if they were painted and based to match your Catachan so they could sub in as a Veteran Squad with Harker, but I understand wanting them more urban.
Thank you! I was thinking about basing them either like my Catachans or Chaos Marines, but I realized either of those would involve static grass, which frankly doesn't really grow in the underhive.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Difference between matte medium and glaze medium? I've been trying to read up on it but the biggest difference I've come across is someone describing glaze medium as giving the same effect as matt medium + water.

Also wish the stupid new oath thread would turn up. I have been priming everything I own in anticipation! I want it to start so I can go back to not painting anything! My labrador would also like to be brown again.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Lethemonster posted:

Also wish the stupid new oath thread would turn up.

It's comin'.

Ooooh, it's comin'

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

krushgroove posted:

It's comin'.

Ooooh, it's comin'

:gizz:

Content: fluorescent paint is kinda strange. Thick like some kinda frosting or pudding, but it thins out well enough. Definitely need matte medium for it to help it from going on too transparent.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Lethemonster posted:

Difference between matte medium and glaze medium? I've been trying to read up on it but the biggest difference I've come across is someone describing glaze medium as giving the same effect as matt medium + water.

Basically that, yeah. I have the Les Bursely wash stuff mixed up, which is matte medium and water and flow-aid, and its pretty identical to my bottle of Vallejo glaze medium. I'm sure given a more accurate recipe from Vallejo it would be actually identical.

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.

Lethemonster posted:

Also wish the stupid new oath thread would turn up. I have been priming everything I own in anticipation! I want it to start so I can go back to not painting anything! My labrador would also like to be brown again.

Mediums for acrylics are basically the acrylic junk plus water plus something to make things different: matte, gloss, flow aid. A glaze medium is simply more acrylic goo and typically a flow aid. You can probably make your own with matte medium, some water, and, well, a flow aid.

From my research and some experience, apparently Future Floor Polish is basically a glaze medium that dries to an eggshell finish.

Personally, I feel glazing is best done with a liquid pigment paint (P3, Reaper Pro if I recall) thinned really heavily, nothing fancy.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

removed dead image link

More pics here. Shameless blog pimping, :hellyeah:

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 3, 2015

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Purgey posted:

I wonder where I can find some cactii?
Right here!

http://www.amazon.com/Pegasus-Hobbies-Cactus-1601-PGH6508/dp/B000BQVZ9I

Search 'Pegasus Hobbies Cactus' and you can find them all over. Really reasonably priced, too.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Fyrbrand posted:

Oh hey, man. Why were you being so silly. Your poo poo is great. His poo poo is great, your poo poo is great. It's all great poo poo. I thought you were going to post some amateur hour stuff. You're the guy who did that dreadfleet thing way back, right?

Man, this thread is an ego-nightmare if the good painters are worried they won't stand up.

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

BuffaloChicken posted:

Right here!

http://www.amazon.com/Pegasus-Hobbies-Cactus-1601-PGH6508/dp/B000BQVZ9I

Search 'Pegasus Hobbies Cactus' and you can find them all over. Really reasonably priced, too.

:getin:

Thanks, brodeo. My deserts shall bloom!

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Fyrbrand posted:

That looks just as awesome as the other one.

Also why do some paint the border of bases half some other color and the other half black?

Boar It fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 30, 2013

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Torabi posted:

That looks just as awesome as the other one.

Also why do some paint the border of bases half some other color and the other half black?

Warmachine/Hordes models have front arcs.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

mehall posted:

This man knows what's what. Grey is a great middle ground. Especially if your going for a black-ish color you should start with grey and build it up to black.

Lately I've been priming using all 3 colors- spray the whole model grey then dust the very top with white and the very bottom with black.

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004

Fyrbrand posted:

I like it!

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

It looks like my primer issues were mostly from spraying too far away. On the second run I made sure to shake the hell out of the can. I sprayed at about 7 inches or so in short bursts and it came out fantastic, I think better than any other priming Ive done. I guess I was overly cautious that it would be too thick and that ended up screwing it up too. Cleaning up the first try mostly came right off with water and a tooth brush, but I decided to test out simple green to clean them fully. They soaked longer than needed only because I didn't have time to clean them but it worked as advertised.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
This quick group shot doesn't show it well but I made some solid progress Sat night.

I still need to finish the horrendous amount of wires on the MANz, but the bikes are nearly done. Weathering and washes last.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I'm not very good at painting but I thought I did an okay job on this chaos lord. It was a blast to paint, characters are so much more fun than infantry. It's also probably the best face I've ever done. He took me about an hour although I did prime him last night.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Fancy background is awesome!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Last few posts- some sweet painted poo poo!

Here's some Cryx I did for a battlegroup challenge at my LGS.

removed dead image link

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Did someone say amateur hour? :haw:

I actually got really lazy with this guy and he's not even done yet. Still need to finish painting that blade and base, and I've been painting this guy off and on for a good several months now.

• Locked thread