Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I did this on workstation IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Workstation or ESXI should both attempt for VM guest PXE boots.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

luminalflux posted:

Is there an easy way to test PXE install of ESXi into a VM? We're acquiring new hypervisors and I'd like to not have to screw around with install media, but I'd like to try it out on a VM first.

What are you installing it on to?

Currently I just prep thumb drives with unetbootin and ESXi then pop that into the server and run from there.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Moey posted:

What are you installing it on to?

Currently I just prep thumb drives with unetbootin and ESXi then pop that into the server and run from there.

Installing the HP ESXi 5.1 image on a DL360 G7 and a G8.

I never got UNetBootin to create working thumbdrives on Mac, nor did I get dd:ing the 5.1 image to an SD-card and shoving it in to work. Last install I took a 4.1 SD card I had lying around and used VUM to bring it up to the 5.1 HP install.

cf: I meant PXE-installing ESXi onto a VM in ESXi, is that possible?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

When working with IBM blades I used to just remotely mount the ISO via the AMM console and go from there :effort:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

HP charges extra for iLO Advanced which gives you that feature (at least on rackmounts, dunno about blades), I don't have it licensed on the machines I'm installing onto.

edit: Yeah it's possible, just need to set a flag on the hypervisor.

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 26, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

luminalflux posted:

cf: I meant PXE-installing ESXi onto a VM in ESXi, is that possible?

Yes, so long as you are using the E1000 adapter and the adapter is linked to the appropriate vswitch/network.

This is possible on ESXi/Workstation

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I'm curious what the divide looks like for others between vSphere alarms and Nagios or whatever other alerting software you use. Obviously, most of the physical metrics (CPU usage, Memory usage) have moved to vSphere's scope, but it annoys me that you can't define an alarm based on disk usage. The info is available through PowerCLI, so why not make it available as an alarm metric?

The good news is we use Nagios to monitor lots of other stuff on Windows hosts, so it's not like I'm still running the Nagios agent just for disk usage.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm new to virtualization and I'm thinking of getting the Vsphere5 book by Scott Lowe, but my workplace uses 4.1

Are there going to be huge differences?

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm new to virtualization and I'm thinking of getting the Vsphere5 book by Scott Lowe, but my workplace uses 4.1

Depends. ESX5i got rid of the service console entirely. ESX4 still had it, while ESX4i did not. It should still be helpful though.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

There are some differences(how HA works, vMotion, to name a few), especially if you are on ESX, you still should get a solid understanding of how VMware works and the architectural of it

Erwin posted:

but it annoys me that you can't define an alarm based on disk usage.

What do you mean by this?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Corvettefisher posted:

What do you mean by this?

It annoys me that I cannot have vSphere alert me when a VM has filled x% of its VMDK.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Goon Matchmaker posted:

Depends. ESX5i got rid of the service console entirely. ESX4 still had it, while ESX4i did not. It should still be helpful though.

Sorry to be a pedantdickhead but you've mixed up the terminology: the Service Console is a feature of the ESX hypervisor architecture and is absent in the ESXi hypervisor architecture. vSphere 4.1 was the last iteration of VMware's virtualisation platform that included both architectures. vSphere 5.0 and up only include the ESXi hypervisor architecture.

Bottom line: ESX is dead, ESXi is the future (Until they find some way to replace it).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Erwin posted:

It annoys me that I cannot have vSphere alert me when a VM has filled x% of its VMDK.

Isn't this kind of in line with VMware's approach of staying out of the guest? I mean, they got rid of guest patching in VUM because they decided it would be better done by purpose made tools, likewise I'm guessing they've decided your guest monitoring should be done by something good at monitoring?

And the only way ESXi would know is by querying something in the guest tools, which turn them into a monitoring agent, which is not VMware's business.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

cheese-cube posted:

(Until they find some way to replace it).

Or they rename it...

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Moey posted:

Or they rename it...

I can see it now: VMware CloudVinfrastruXSi 6.0

Edit: if Citrix and VMware ever merged we will be doomed to live the rest of our lives in an ever changing nomenclature purgatory.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 26, 2013

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Isn't this kind of in line with VMware's approach of staying out of the guest? I mean, they got rid of guest patching in VUM because they decided it would be better done by purpose made tools, likewise I'm guessing they've decided your guest monitoring should be done by something good at monitoring?

And the only way ESXi would know is by querying something in the guest tools, which turn them into a monitoring agent, which is not VMware's business.

I guess I can see that logic, but the info is definitely available outside of the guest tools. I can query disk usage with powerCLI, including powered-off VMs.

Hmm, not sure. VVV

Erwin fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 26, 2013

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is it disk usage, or the amount of the VMDK that's being used? Because I'm guessing if you create a large file and then delete it, the two numbers would be different. I could be wrong though, I don't know much about the inner workings of a VMDK.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

cheese-cube posted:

Edit: if Citrix and VMware ever merged we will be doomed to live the rest of our lives in an ever changing nomenclature purgatory.

I still just call is ESX and viClient. Although most of the time I connect to my ESX box with Workstation.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

cheese-cube posted:

VMware CloudVinfrastruXSi 2014*

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Misogynist posted:

VMware CloudVinfrastruXSi 2014*

Also the licensing levels are now "Super", "Super-Duper" and "Mega-Super-Duper" (With three additional "Enterprise" licensing sub-levels for each licensing level).

Edit: and it's no longer per-CPU licensing, it's per-DIMM.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Our storage guy is reading some NetApp documentation that having our NFS volumes update the file last read access timestamps causes a performance hit and we would be better off without it. I'm concerned that the last read timestamp is somehow being used by the lock files and that making this change may cause that file locking to break and things to randomly start unmounting, but I can't find good documentation about how exactly VMware is handling the locking on NFS volumes besides references to a hidden .lck file. Does anyone have thoughts?

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Our storage guy is reading some NetApp documentation that having our NFS volumes update the file last read access timestamps causes a performance hit and we would be better off without it. I'm concerned that the last read timestamp is somehow being used by the lock files and that making this change may cause that file locking to break and things to randomly start unmounting, but I can't find good documentation about how exactly VMware is handling the locking on NFS volumes besides references to a hidden .lck file. Does anyone have thoughts?

no_atime_update is a NetApp best practice for VMware and is automatically set if you create your datastores with the NetApp plugin for VMware (VSC - Virtual Storage Console). Will not cause any issues.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Great, thank you.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah it's in the netapp VMware best practices doc.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

What's the easiest way to shrink a VMDK file? In the guest 2008R2 operating system, its only using 20gb out of the 120gb vmdk, the rest isn't even partitioned.

The disk was formatted using eager thick, and GPT so VMWare converter doesn't work.

Any ideas? I can't find anything online about this.

Alctel fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 27, 2013

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Storage vMotion to another datastore, convert to thin instead of "use source type" or whatever it says.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Alctel posted:

What's the easiest way to shrink a VMDK file? In the guest 2008R2 operating system, its only using 20gb out of the 120gb vmdk, the rest isn't even partitioned.

The disk was formatted using eager thick, and GPT so VMWare converter doesn't work.

Any ideas? I can't find anything online about this.

If you really want to shrink it instead of free up unused space, use Converter to V2V it with smaller disks.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

three posted:

If you really want to shrink it instead of free up unused space, use Converter to V2V it with smaller disks.
He already said that he can't use Converter because it's GPT (Converter doesn't work with GPT labelled disks in the year 2013).

Best bet here is probably to attach a new VMDK and use a Linux LiveCD with GParted to copy the partition from one disk to the other. Once that's done, remove the old disk, reboot from your Windows install media into recovery mode, and run StartRep (fixmbr/fixboot don't exist in 2008 R2).

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Misogynist posted:

He already said that he can't use Converter because it's GPT (Converter doesn't work with GPT labelled disks in the year 2013).

Good news:

http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/server/vcenter/converter

Pantology fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 27, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

This is likely to be a much better answer :patriot:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Holy poo poo that is GREAT timing - it was released just now as well by the looks of it!

Thanks!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I have a week off here, probably going to rewrite the op and fill it in with a bit more info.

Just reply to this what you want covered, I'll do the best I can.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 28, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Just a question, how many of you all replace your default SSL certs on vCenter/Hosts, with a CA signed cert? I was wondering if I should include a blerb on it.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I'm probably going to whenever I get around to setting up a CA so any writeup would be helpful

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Also would love to see a quick guide on how to do it. I'm sure there are a hundred writeups I could google but getting info locally is never a bad thing :)

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Trying to put some tutorials together for my site, came across this lovely message

drat guess I got the 32-bit version of windows 2008 R2 :rolleyes:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Corvettefisher posted:

Trying to put some tutorials together for my site, came across this lovely message

There is no 32 bit version of R2.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Moey posted:

There is no 32 bit version of R2.

I'm fairly sure he knows that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Corvettefisher posted:

You've probably worked around it already but throw it in 2003 compatibility mode or figure out where the exe extracted the msi to (usually appdata\local or locallow) and try running that directly.