Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Karmine posted:

Someone said one time that AJ was basically just April from Parks and Rec and that's a fairly apt comparison but I've known a lot of people like that in real life and while they may make for good TV, they're loving awful and annoying to be around in real life.

Nah, she seems pretty cool, like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.

RudoReels posted:

They would have been a great team I think!

Big Bossman already had to team with one "Dream"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm pretty sure all wrestlers would fun to hang out with. Even the lovely ones.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

coconono posted:

I'm pretty sure all wrestlers would fun to hang out with. Even the lovely ones.

You couldn't pay me to hang with the Ultimate Warrior.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TheRock posted:

Being real & authentic is very powerful. Well done Jason Collins for having the courage to take a monumental step forward. #LiveReal

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

^^As much as I think the Rock is a self-aggrandizing douchebag, that's really cool of him.

I Before E posted:

I'd hang out with Warrior and Virgil at the same time. That would be some straight up insanity.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Aye, it'd be worth it for the story you'd get out of it.

Plus Virgil probably has 101 ways to never pay for a drink.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Gonzo McFee posted:

Aye, it'd be worth it for the story you'd get out of it.

Plus Virgil probably has 101 ways to never pay for a drink.

#74: armbar.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Which is funny, because he used a Fujiwara Armbar during his nWo B-Team days to finish guys on WCWSN.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Kinda falls flat after you remember all the homophobic gay jokes in his promos.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

bradzilla posted:

Kinda falls flat after you remember all the homophobic gay jokes in his promos.

Whats the matter Kevin, are you a little... kum-see kum-sah ?

Nah the Rocks cool. I need to see Pain & Gain this week.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Supreme Allah posted:

Nah the Rocks cool. I need to see Pain & Gain this week.

You'll find out what the Rock is cookin'. It's true.

The movie was great and the Rock stole the whole thing. He's loving amazing.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Supreme Allah posted:

comme ci comme ça :eng101:

If we're going to say that anyone who makes gay jokes in entertainment can't be a cool dude in real life, then just about every performer ever is a bigot.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I wasn't implying he's not a cool dude, because he definitely is. I was just questioning his sincerity about his comment is all.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I just remembered Rock played a gay guy in 'Be Cool'

You play a gay man who gets poked fun at by the other characters. Are you ready for any criticism that might provoke?

I didn't want to really turn anything into a mockery or a Saturday Night Live skit. ... My intent was just to play a guy who wanted to make it, someone that I could connect with and not only that, but he just happened to be gay. And if you didn't like it, he'd be happy to kick someone's rear end.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,1030162,00.html

(I know its the twitter thread but we are talking about a tweet)

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
He's coincidentally the best thing about 'Be Cool' as well.

I like The Rock, but realistically I doubt he would've gone much further in the WWE than what he has. Really the whole thing just feels like a sendoff anyway where he gets to be the champ one last time and live it up a little. I don't doubt he'll be back around in some capacity, but he's done as far as regular matches go. I just wish his 'passing the torch' moment was to someone more worthwhile than Cena.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

bradzilla posted:

I wasn't implying he's not a cool dude, because he definitely is. I was just questioning his sincerity about his comment is all.

do you think undertaker is really dead too

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

I really want to call you a nerd but I'm trying to be nice online now.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Yaoi Mandel posted:

do you think undertaker is really dead too

How dare I think someone is not telling the truth. gently caress off.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

That's incredibly rude of the person who somehow can't tell the difference between the content of one's promos and the content of one's real life character to say to me.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Was Be Cool the movie where Rock did that whole monologue from Bring It On

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

bradzilla posted:

Why would he even bother making the tweet if he didn't care?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

bradzilla posted:

There's a difference between what a person says in a scripted show while playing a character and what that person says on a public forum like Twitter where he's being 100% himself, believe it or not.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Yaoi Mandel posted:

That's incredibly rude of the person who somehow can't tell the difference between the content of one's promos and the content of one's real life character to say to me.

I have a dream that one day a wrestler will be judged not by the content of his promos but by the character of his tweets.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

oatgan posted:

All I remember from that movie is that the Rock had an Afro in it.

RudoReels
Feb 21, 2013

RudoReels.com for International Pro Wrestling DVDs and Downloads.

Free downloads in every newsletter email!

abraxas posted:

I have the weirdest nerd crush on AJ. Not in the "I'm gonna buy you shoes and stalk you on Twitter" kind of way but she's just so goddamn adorable and seems like a genuinely fun and nice person. I bet she's fun to hang out and play videogames with :goonsay:

e: To maybe make this a little less creepy, I'd also love hanging out and playing videogames with DB and possibly CM Punk, even though he strikes me as the person who'd probably say something mean to me and make me very sad :(

My sentiments exactly. She is 'adorable.' One of my favorite PEOPLE in 2013 wrestling, along with Colt Cabana, although I wouldn't really use adorable in that regard. :D

Minitrue
Aug 6, 2010

oatgan posted:

Yup. He was the best thing about that movie by far.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Sweeney Tom posted:

There's a difference between what a person says in a scripted show while playing a character and what that person says on a public forum like Twitter where he's being 100% himself, believe it or not.

Well, I don't think anyone would argue with there being a huge difference, but I'll just posit a couple things that people can either accept or reject:

Given:

Presumably the rock has some creative control about what says during promos given his stardom and status.

Presumably the rock helps write the things he says during promos, if not the entirety of some of them.

Presumably then it means that the Rock can veto saying things he finds personally objectionable.

With that assumed:

We have substantial and repeated themes during rock promos of casting homosexuality in a negative light. References to it in a negative light, calling other wrestlers variations of gay, etc.

Also willing to grade completely on a curve given the regressive world outlook of Pro wrestling generally,

Therefore:

It is not unfair to criticize The Rock here for past indiscretions. No one was holding a gun up to his head to gay bash in the past. From what we all know of the business, he very well could have contributed to the scripting of the show.

It's difficult to properly assign fault here because it's a quasi-scripted show and the lines between tightly scripted writing team product and worker's improvised or extemporaneous speaking product.

It's great that the rock made that tweet, and it shows progress, both from a social acceptance perspective (the rock is very influential) and on a personal level for him. If someone were to look at it from a jaundiced eye and say, "hey if you really felt this way why did you peform all those promos where you made the problem worse", I don't think that's unfair.

The defense of it being scripted falls somewhat flat for me because the Rock is a Made Man at this point.

But again, I want to emphasize that his tweet is good, and progress! :toot:

Kaskadan
Mar 28, 2010

I've got some bad NOMS for you
I wasn't a regular watcher at the time, but from what I saw of most of his promo's it was less of "Being gay is bad" and more of "Hey <opponent>, do you prefer strudel or pie?"
Followed by a short sequence of taunts and jeers about why he prefers pie over strudel.

Either way, the implied homophobia is both subjective and contextual AND that can be applied to any controversial topic in any wrestling promo.
Not to mention that back then, it wasn't quite the hot topic it is right now in the U.S. and the fact they are obviously catering to their target market.

I don't mean to say that the subculture of how homosexuals are portrayed and or treated in professional wrestling is at all OK, but I really never got a negative vibe from the Rock.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Gay people can at least stand up for themselves again Dwayne Johnson's slurs but who will speak up for the violated anuses of all those monkeys and llamas???

Hiram
Sep 21, 2010

Take care fella...spike your hair! :fella:

I Before E posted:

THINK ABOUT ALL THE GAINS YOU'D GET BRO.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

I Before E posted:

You and warrior could go hang with Santa in his dungeon.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Warrior has some pretty positive inspiring stuff to say between his crazy loony mouthpoop.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

This tweet is amazing

JakeSnakeDDT posted:

On way to another dr. Appt. I can't get to sleep at night that sucks. Think may have to so with being so excited about life. Wow!!!!

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
and the Countdown to Sleeping Pill Addiction kicks off...

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

bobkatt013 posted:

This tweet is amazing

Not as amazing as this one! :buddy:

JakeSnakeDDT posted:

Have been thinking about trying something I haven't done n years. Yes I am going to give it a shot definitey!! Dating, dinner, companionship

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The best rib would be if Jake comes back to the house after his date and DDP and Hall have the girl's face airbrushed on their pants.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Realtalk, that tweet is actually troubling. Obviously there isn't an exact science or anything about it, but counselors generally recommend that recovering addicts have at least a year of sobriety under their belts before they start looking at getting into relationships; when you're a long-term user like Jake is, your brain is so hosed from that abuse, and it takes a long time, upwards of a year, before your reward system (dopamine) and your happiness system (serotonin) start to get back to normal. Relationships are something else entirely, and they can introduce a poo poo-ton of stress.

Jake's going to fight a daily battle as he moves forward ... I hope he can take things slowly. :unsmith:

Timby fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 1, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Timby posted:

Realtalk, that tweet is actually troubling. Obviously there isn't an exact science or anything about it, but counselors generally recommend that recovering addicts have at least a year of sobriety under their belts before they start looking at getting into relationships; when you're a long-term user like Jake is, your brain is so hosed from that abuse, and it takes a long time, upwards of a year, before your reward system (dopamine) and your happiness system (serotonin) start to get back to normal. Relationships are something else entirely, and they can introduce a poo poo-ton of stress.

Jake's going to fight a daily battle as he moves forward ... I hope he can take things slowly. :unsmith:

I hope its just his mind getting clear and realizing that he can do these things, not that he is going to jump into bed with the first person he meets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

@AntonioCesaro posted:

Don’t turn around, look, look, der Kommandant is out and about. Tonight @wwe #MainEvent on @iontv