Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

BlitzBlast posted:

The secret to TD is to activate Trance every time there's two or more pink/green spirits on the screen.

(The secret to UFO is to plot out what UFOs you want.)
The secret to TD is to pick Youmu who's shot type is practically a bomb and her actual bomb is the best in the game.

Trihugger fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

a cartoon duck posted:

Everybody says that, but I just grab 'em as I see them and I'm fine. People really exaggerate how necessary it is to totally memorise the location of every single UFO. Just don't be afraid to let a couple UFOs leave the screen if getting them would waste a life and/or bomb and you won't get into negatives.

You don't need to memorize it, it just helps to know what you can possibly do. Take Stage 1.

Stage 1 UFO spawns posted:

Red + B-Multi, R-Multi, Blue + G-Multi, B-Multi, Red + B-Multi (Drop from boss), Green, G-Multi

Let's say I want to get lives. I can collect a maximum of one and a half lives here (Red + B-Multi + R-Multi, prize + G-multi + B-Multi, prize + Red + B-Multi), but I'd never have known that by just playing normally. Unless I did a practice run and marked down each and every UFO that is, but that's basically the same thing as checking a spawn list.

And this is only really important stage 1-3 anyways; IIRC, stage 4 and onward have a poo poo ton of UFOs. Once you figure out how to get there with a comfortable amount of resources, you're good.

EDIT: Also if you're already good at UFO and don't need maximum resources (like duck) this is of course meaningless, but some people (like me) aren't!

Trihugger posted:

The secret to TD is to pick Youmu who's shot type is practically a bomb and her actual bomb is the best in the game.

By the time you figure out how to effectively use Youmu you could have already beaten the game with Reimu. :geno:
This was true in IN as well.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 29, 2013

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

By the time you figure out how to effectively use Youmu you could have already beaten the game with Reimu. :geno:
This was true in IN as well.

Man, I'm like the biggest proponent of Needle Reimu in the games, but Youmu is objectively the correct choice in TD.

quote:

EDIT: Also if you're already good at UFO and don't need maximum resources (like duck) this is of course meaningless, but some people (like me) aren't!

I don't even need any UFOs to beat the game :smug:

But honestly, I only really got good enough to do that for the thread challenge. Before that, my rule of thumb was just "if it's red, grab it" and I managed to do fine enough. After all, points don't matter and bombs refill upon death, right?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Youmu's powerful, but her idiosyncratic shot system takes up valuable attention. In a game full of little dots trying to kill you at all time, that can be troublesome. I really don't like gimmicks that require me to change what I'm doing, which is holding down the fire button (and sometimes shift) and moving very carefully. I dislike Marisa-Patchouli from SA for the same reason.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
There should be an autofire toggle button. Just tap "G" or something, and it'll automatically continue firing shots until you tap it again, thus leaving you free to concentrate on dodging and bombing.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I dunno, keeping my middle finger firmly-planted on the Y key isn't exactly using up a lot of my brainpower. Plus there's always the odd pattern that requires you to not shoot, and then having to remember to toggle shooting on and off would take more concentration than just not shooting for a couple moments.

edit: As far as TD Youmu is concerned, I usually am not fond gimmick shot-types, like IN Youmu, or every inverse shot-type where unfocused you have a narrow shot and focused you have a wide shot, but TD Youmu's raw power just destroys anything, from normal stage fairies to bosses. Her focused shot does take some getting used to, and why I dismissed her when first playing TD, but once I gave her a fair shake she basically became my go-to character when in every other Touhou it's Needle Reimu.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 29, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Do Seiga's Overdrive as Youmu then. :smug:

Also point is that Youmu has a learning curve while Reimu doesn't. You can beat the game easily enough with either of them sooooo.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 29, 2013

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Man, that's the only Overdrive I have yet to beat with anyone, period. I'm still sore about the time I died the split second I beat Seiga forever ago, I don't care to try again anymore.

edit: In other tough spell card-related news, I managed to capture Border of Life and Death :toot:

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 29, 2013

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

unpronounceable posted:

That's something of a problem when I can only reliably identify 1/3 UFO colours.

I'm 99% sure someone made a colourblind patch to solve that problem. If you look around gensokyo.org you should be able to find it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Nine of Eight posted:

I'm 99% sure someone made a colourblind patch to solve that problem. If you look around gensokyo.org you should be able to find it.

That patch is for an outdated version of the game, and ZUN claims to have already "fixed" colorblind mode himself. He made the yellow UFOs green.

ed: Or wait am I mixing up the two patches here? I forgot what ZUN did to fix the colorblind problem, did he just make the colors lighter maybe...

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 29, 2013

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Found a Danmaku video I haven't seen before, Wish it had sound effects though.

Marissa being a sort of mentor figure to Flan after their first meeting is now Head-Cannon. Some of the 3D videos are impressive but only a few truly knock it out of the park and I would so watch something of this quality as a TV series.

e: Found one that's Reimu vs. Remilia I think by the same guy, a slight step down in quality but sound effects make up for it. Now I just wish I had subtitles for what I presume is the in game dialogue.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 29, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You're two pages late.

Also, while I've seen people spell "canon" with two n's far too many times, this is the first I've seen someone give the same treatment to "Marisa". :v:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, Marissa with two 's's is a fairly common name in the Anglosphere. I have to admit that even I pronounce it like that in my head.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
For me it has to do a lot with the Yamaxanadu rap video where she drags the 's' sound a bit; it could be a subconscious anglosphere/canadian thing as well. :shobon:

If Marissa is how we'ld spell her name as anglo's, I'm kinda actually thinking that it might be interesting to figure out a sort of anglosphere duality to their names. Like the greeks and romans had the same gods and gave them different names, some westerners who got Chinese citizenship have Chinese names and many Chinese people I know have Western names as well as their Chinese names. I wonder what the "Western" version of their names would be? Obviously for Marissa, Flan, Remilia and Alice our work is done as they already have Western sounding names. For example, for some reason I find Jessica would suit either Hijiri or Sanae, though Samantha might also fit Sanae?

Though on a semi-related note, I imagine a Anglo would nickname Remilia "Rem" instead of Remi.

I like overthinking things and its been on my mind for a while :)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Volt Catfish posted:

That patch is for an outdated version of the game, and ZUN claims to have already "fixed" colorblind mode himself. He made the yellow UFOs green.

Thanks ZUN

:geno:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Clarste posted:

Well, Marissa with two 's's is a fairly common name in the Anglosphere. I have to admit that even I pronounce it like that in my head.

Wait, so it's not pronounced Muh-RISS-suh? That's always how I pronounced it, extra "s" or not.

Hmm...If Gensokyo was set in Mexico, would Marisa be Marisol? :v:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Wait, so it's not pronounced Muh-RISS-suh? That's always how I pronounced it, extra "s" or not.

Hmm...If Gensokyo was set in Mexico, would Marisa be Marisol? :v:

It's written like a Japanese name (although an unusual one), so technically it should be pronounced Mah-Ree-Sah. I've never really heard of anyone caring that much though.

Thinking of Anglo names for the characters is actually a really fun exercise, but I usually just get to calling Yukari "Violet" and giving up. I don't think Jessica really fits Byakuren though. She should have a more old fashioned sounding name. She is from a thousand years ago after all. Like, Fransisca or something. That's just off the top of my head though. Cecilia?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are we localizing Touhous now? Reimu would be Remy.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think that might be a bit confusing when there's another character named Remilia who is in fact called Remmy by her friends. Although I suppose you could also change her name, but then you get into changing things for its own sake.

I'd probably call her Rachel or something, but I'm a terrible person.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Smooth McGroove, who does awesome acapellas of video game themes, just put up one for U.N. Owen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUed7HZtTNA

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Clarste posted:

I'd probably call her Rachel or something, but I'm a terrible person.

Ray-shel where did you get that popsicle from? I WANT ONE

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Re: American Touhou

Ammat The Ankh posted:

"Touhou" means "Eastern," correct? Someone should make "Western," a game set in Southwest of the United States.

Uh oh, it's an incident! It looks like the wily Sister Coyote has stolen the moon. It's up to sheriff Riley Hathaway and outlaw Maria Corazones to save the day!

In other news, Onikobe Rin reveals what the Akis do during the other three seasons:

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=35331290

Also ~Setz-sama~ posted a new comic that DrSunshine might like. (standard Danbooru :nws: warning)

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

PerrineClostermann posted:

Are we localizing Touhous now? Reimu would be Remy.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Though on a semi-related note, I imagine a Anglo would nickname Remilia "Rem" instead of Remi.
Rémi / Rémy is such a close match to Remilia that ZUN probably used it as a base, though not as blatantly as "Flandre".

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I haven't seen that in ages. Now I can't help but imagine a 4kids adaptation of Touhou.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I haven't seen that in ages. Now I can't help but imagine a 4kids adaptation of Touhou.
Take it easy on the exam today, Marisa!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

"Who's that boy, wanna be amigo? Carlito! Carlito!"

I can't help but imagine a hip and happenin' rap intro to 4Kids Presents: Touhou.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Touhou doesn't really have anything objectionable that a censor would need to change, does it? Well, I guess there's the whole afterlife/religion thing which is omnipresent, but it seems simple enough to just never mention it at all. Heck, we even had someone in this thread who figured all that was just part of Gensokyo with no deeper meaning.

The main thing I can think of is the main characters getting drunk all the time. Like, all the time. Even if we have no idea how old Reimu and Marisa are (hey, they could be in their 20's, who knows?) they probably wouldn't appreciate having alcoholics as main characters.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Clarste posted:

The main thing I can think of is the main characters getting drunk all the time. Like, all the time. Even if we have no idea how old Reimu and Marisa are (hey, they could be in their 20's, who knows?) they probably wouldn't appreciate having alcoholics as main characters.

I think you could just label everything "tea" and get past that just fine.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I suppose it's not unheard of for dubbed anime characters to get drunk on tea or milk.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Clarste posted:

I suppose it's not unheard of for dubbed anime characters to get drunk on tea or milk.

I don't know, it'd be pretty weird for the whole cast to get drunk on tea though.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Elliotw2 posted:

I don't know, it'd be pretty weird for the whole cast to get drunk on tea though.

Just call it "magic tea". Problem solved.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Clarste posted:

Even if we have no idea how old Reimu and Marisa are (hey, they could be in their 20's, who knows?)

:eng101: Aya's articles in the side books are actually dated (archiacally, but convertable to modern gregorian dates) and sometimes refer to the relative chronology of the games (e.g. "the Red Mist Incident last month"). Thus, there's been enough information to establish a concrete timeline.

EoSD canonically took place a decade ago, so unless you're imagining that Reimu and Marisa were 9 years old back then, they actually have to be in their 20s by now.

edit: link typo :doh:

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 30, 2013

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Marisa becomes Melissa and Reimu becomes Reye Hackray.

(I don't know how to localize Kirisame.)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Falls Down Stairs posted:

:eng101: Aya's articles in the side books are actually dated (archiacally, but convertable to modern gregorian dates) and sometimes refer to the relative chronology of the games (e.g. "the Red Mist Incident last month"). Thus, there's been enough information to establish a concrete timeline.

EoSD canonically took place a decade ago, so unless you're imagining that Reimu and Marisa were 9 years old back then, they actually have to be in their 20s by now.

Time passing isn't quite the same thing as characters aging. Unless you think Peter Parker is 70 years old. It's entirely possible that ZUN intends for Reimu and Marisa to stay vaguely teenage forever. Although honestly Akyuu presents bigger problems since she was explicitly given a time limit on her life, and since she started younger aging should be more noticeable. Although recently she seems to be only the same age as Kosuzu.

Casull posted:

Krissie-May

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Casull posted:

Christianssen. Melissa Christianssen.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Keep in mind that Yugi Motou kept his own name in the 4kids dub, so Ray-Moon and Marsala could keep their originals.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Casull posted:

Kirisame literally means "drizzle"

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

leather fedora posted:

Kirisame literally means "drizzle"

Melissa Rains

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Takoluka posted:

Keep in mind that Yugi Motou kept his own name in the 4kids dub, so Ray-Moon and Marsala could keep their originals.

Raymo. HEY RAYMO, OVER HERE! RAYMO, ZAP THAT PUFFBALL! RAYMO, HAVE SOME TEA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Invictus posted:

Raymo. HEY RAYMO, OVER HERE! RAYMO, ZAP THAT PUFFBALL! RAYMO, HAVE SOME TEA.

And then several years later, after the Naruto community moves on, we get rap concept albums about tappin' dat raymoo.