Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
What's the deal with Hops in american whisky lately? The corsair guys put out something called "Rasputin" and there was another hopped whisky at Flatiron recently. Is this a good thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

What's the deal with Hops in american whisky lately? The corsair guys put out something called "Rasputin" and there was another hopped whisky at Flatiron recently. Is this a good thing?

Drink some, post trip report.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Base Emitter posted:

Drink some, post trip report.

I thought about it but was buying a bottle for a special occasion and wanted to go with something I knew was good (Balvenie Caribbean Cask in this case) so I was hoping someone else might have insight first. If I see it next month I'll grab the Rasputin and do just that.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

TG-Chrono posted:

After loving the Buffalo Trace I snagged a bottle of Blanton's. Going to give it a whirl tonight. Did I make a good selection? :ohdear:

I love Blanton's, it's probably my favorite bourbon. Wish I had some I could drink here at work but I don't :(. I don't have a glass either. Well and I'd get fired if I drank at work.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I tried my first peaty scotch today, Laphroaig 10. Wow. I'd describe the flavor as somewhere between mushroom and olives, neither of which I like very much. I did like the mouth-feel and it didn't have much of a burn but it took me quite a while to finish the dram. I really enjoyed it at first but the more I drank the harder it was to continue.
After I left the pub, my friend and I walked past a running truck that was giving off the same smell as the drink I had just finished. This makes the comparisons I've heard between it and gasoline pretty apt.

Sticking to my sweeter scotches and bourbons for now but I'd like to try some less intense peated drinks in the future.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

DoctaFun posted:

I love Blanton's, it's probably my favorite bourbon. Wish I had some I could drink here at work but I don't :(. I don't have a glass either. Well and I'd get fired if I drank at work.

Yeah I've had a couple of glasses now and it's a really nice and smooth drink with a rye finish that I'm not used to but is a bit 'peppery' and really nice.

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !

DoctaFun posted:

Just wait for tonight and enjoy a nice dinner with good bourbon :)

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

The deal is microdistillers are literally buying or brewing beer recipes, then distilling that beer. For example, St. George's buys a brown ale from Sierra Nevada and uses that to make their malt whisky.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
This sounds like brandy but more :wtc:

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Seamonster posted:

Why? Beer is made from grains, your average wort is basically beer. I guess technically if you add hops to the recipe, it's not a pure whisky, but I know St. George's is only made from barley.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I don't think I've ever tasted a whisky with hops in it, so I can't really comment on the flavour but it seems a bit superfluous since the main (historical) reason for using hops is a preservative first, flavouring second. Whisky doesn't need additional preservation obviously. So to me it's a gimmick.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
A friend of mine, who's crazy about beer, let me try two beer-inspired spirits. One was a "Hopquila" which was basically hop flavored vodka, and which I found deeply unpleasant. I also tried a beer barrel finished bourbon from New Holland which was OK, but certainly nothing special. It had a sort of weird bitterness on the finish, which I found kind of distracting.

Also, I'm very seriously considering buying a bottle of Balvenie 15 Single Barrel from a local liquor store that has it at the absurdly low price of $50. Has anyone tried it who can reccomend it? I was looking for something non-sherried, non-peated. Clynelish and Bruichladdich are also on the table.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I just ordered the Corsair Triple Smoke because of recommendations from this thread. I've been on an Laphroaig kick lately so it will be nice to try something that has the smoke but is a little different. Also got Laddy 10, Sazerac Rye 6 year and another bottle of my go to rye, Rittenhouse Bonded. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

NightConqueror posted:

Also, I'm very seriously considering buying a bottle of Balvenie 15 Single Barrel from a local liquor store that has it at the absurdly low price of $50. Has anyone tried it who can reccomend it? I was looking for something non-sherried, non-peated. Clynelish and Bruichladdich are also on the table.
Take the Balvenie and run at that price.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

I don't know about the other hopped whiskeys, but Corsair's Rasputin is great. Pick some up.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NightConqueror posted:

What are you still doing here? Go buy that poo poo stat!

duckstab
Jun 19, 2004

Seamonster posted:

It's a very strange thing to do as beer and whisky worts are totally different, with the mashbills and malt specifications being very different between the two. It's illegal to do in Scotland and I can't see the attraction to the process myself, I guess the new world distillers are just trying to find a point of difference, but I don't see the longevity in it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

NightConqueror posted:

Where is this local store, and who else is up for a roadtrip?

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Rogue put out a Dead Guy whiskey made from Distilling their Dead Guy Ale which was awesome and sweet, had like an apple-cinnamon thing going on, so I see where they're coming from.

Dead Guy is so malty and I'm not a fan of hoppy beers though, so I am skeptical, but I'll probably end u p trying rasputin on the strength of the Triple Smoke

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

kidsafe posted:

Take the Balvenie and run at that price.

I took your advice, and ran with it ;)

Haven't tried it yet, but will probably later tonight. For you Chicago suburban goons, the place where I got it is Woodman's Food Market . This place has the oddest prices. Nearly everything is significantly cheaper than the Binny's just down the road, but some stuff is a lot more (Ardbeg 10 for $61, what?). It's where I found Glenlivet Nadurra for $50, Dalwhinnie for $47, and this bottle of Balvenie 15 for $50. They've still got two left, if anyone's interested!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Liquor store by my house has a few deals going on but I'm not sure if they are good/great or normal prices.

Ardbeg 10: $37
Laphroaig 10: $40
Laphroaig 18: $88
Glenmorangie LaSanta: $40
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban: $40

I'm not sure if those are good or not, because they have Balvennie Doublewood for $38 which is an okay deal but not great(another shop in Minneapolis always has it for $32).

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DoctaFun posted:

Liquor store by my house has a few deals going on but I'm not sure if they are good/great or normal prices.

I'm not sure if those are good or not, because they have Balvennie Doublewood for $38 which is an okay deal but not great(another shop in Minneapolis always has it for $32).

They seem good to me. I'd jump on the Ardbeg at that price.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

DoctaFun posted:

Ardbeg generally runs about $50 around me, and Laphroaig 10 is sadly creeping up to the $50 area. I remember when it was less than $40! Rest seem pretty close to average, low-average. Ardbeg is a no-brainer at that price, though.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

DoctaFun posted:

Those are extremely good prices for everything except Laphroaig 10, which is still slightly better than average going rate. I remember when $88 was normal for Laphroaig 18, now it's around $120 at local shops a couple years later. Glenmorangie LaSanta and Quinta Ruban are okay, but I'm really not a fan of the Glenmo ACE'd whiskies.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

DoctaFun posted:

I've underlined what I'd call very good deals, and I'd buy 2 of the Quinta ruban at that price, probably .

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

NightConqueror posted:

I took your advice, and ran with it ;)

Haven't tried it yet, but will probably later tonight. For you Chicago suburban goons, the place where I got it is Woodman's Food Market . This place has the oddest prices. Nearly everything is significantly cheaper than the Binny's just down the road, but some stuff is a lot more (Ardbeg 10 for $61, what?). It's where I found Glenlivet Nadurra for $50, Dalwhinnie for $47, and this bottle of Balvenie 15 for $50. They've still got two left, if anyone's interested!

E: I'm dumb, didn't notice the map. I live very close to there, looks like I'm going to have to make a run this weekend.

That Woodmans is usually pretty awesome, but it's been a while since I've shopped there. Thanks for posting this!

Troll Bridgington fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 27, 2013

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
Does anyone have any experience with the latest bottling of Highland Park 30 year old? I'm considering that for a birthday bottle this year, or maybe a Port Askaig 30yo CS, which is a complete shot in the dark based on the quality of the 25yo. Any other suggestions of bottlings up to around $300 are welcome. Probably won't go big but once this year so I'm looking for something that would leave a lasting impression.

duckstab
Jun 19, 2004

Deleuzionist posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the latest bottling of Highland Park 30 year old? I'm considering that for a birthday bottle this year, or maybe a Port Askaig 30yo CS, which is a complete shot in the dark based on the quality of the 25yo. Any other suggestions of bottlings up to around $300 are welcome. Probably won't go big but once this year so I'm looking for something that would leave a lasting impression.

I've been a bit underwhelmed by the official HP releases of late, especially the older variants, but that's just me. Do you have a website that lists some of what's available to you?

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

duckstab posted:

I've been a bit underwhelmed by the official HP releases of late, especially the older variants, but that's just me. Do you have a website that lists some of what's available to you?
I buy mine mostly through the net since the selection especially in IBs is much wider, and the local monopolized vendor can rarely beat UK prices. http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com for example.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
drat, I am jealous of those prices.

duckstab
Jun 19, 2004

Deleuzionist posted:

I buy mine mostly through the net since the selection especially in IBs is much wider, and the local monopolized vendor can rarely beat UK prices. http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com for example.

In that case you've got heaps of options, but if you fancy something interesting, check out the 1986 G&M Secret Stills bottling they've got (it's a Talisker).

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

I've underlined what I'd call very good deals, and I'd buy 2 of the Quinta ruban at that price, probably .

Seriously. Im looking at any of the Glenmorangie 12 year lines at 60+.

E: fixed to 12 year.

Politicalrancor fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 28, 2013

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

kidsafe posted:

Those are extremely good prices for everything except Laphroaig 10, which is still slightly better than average going rate. I remember when $88 was normal for Laphroaig 18, now it's around $120 at local shops a couple years later. Glenmorangie LaSanta and Quinta Ruban are okay, but I'm really not a fan of the Glenmo ACE'd whiskies.

This is making me really appreciate the fact that Laphroaig 18 is only $69.99 in Pennsylvania. Guess it's time to pick up a bottle.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I just went to the liquor store intending to get Old Grand-Dad Bonded but they were out so I picked up Old Grand-Dad 114. Good or bad call?

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

I just went to the liquor store intending to get Old Grand-Dad Bonded but they were out so I picked up Old Grand-Dad 114. Good or bad call?

Great call. OGD 114 is one of the best values in bourbon, I think.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Seconding that. It is impressively mellow for such a high proof.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

K&L Spirits posted:

Today, the price of Macallan 18 year went up $206 a case. That means my cost is above my retail price (again)! Expect Macallan 18 year to be $200 in no time. That's not even the worst of it. The Macallan 30 Year Old Fine Oak, given it has been VERY unavailable over the past year, has just increased $1700 a case or nearly $300 a bottle. This is not even the highly prized Sherry Wood 30 Year. I'd buy in, but of course they're out of stock until after the increase. Big surprise. Take comfort in the fact the the Macallan 25 year is only going up $401 a case.

$170 for Macallan 18yr. Nope nope nope.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Macallan isn't all it's cracked up to be anyways.

In other news: got myself a Tomatin 15, I'm very underwhelmed by it tbh. There's subtle and there is simple lack of flavour. This falls into the latter category. They could do with some better casks or maybe start finishing their whisky.

In better news: buddy of mine was in the US on business and scored me a bottle of Jefferson Rye. :)

Also got myself a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel, so the US spirits are getting more and more represented in my liquor cabinet.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Just got back from a bourbon & rye tasting. I've been drinking scotch for about 5 years but didn't know bourbon beyond Maker's Mark (which I enjoyed).

We went through

Basil Hayden 8yr
Bakers Small 7yr
Makers Mark 46
Old Overholt 80 Rye (explained as a good inexpensive bottle, something to make a manhattan with)
Knob Creek Rye

I ended up buying a bottle of the Basil Hayden 8yr, although the Bakers was a close 2nd for me. Between the 2 ryes I actually liked the Old Overholt more, it was very light and had that citrus note I guess I'm supposed to notice between rye and bourbon.

Some guy I was talking with said if I liked the Bakers I should try Bookers next. I'll probably do some research while I'm going through this bottle but any feedback from here on the few I tried?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

kidsafe posted:

$170 for Macallan 18yr. Nope nope nope.

I've had the 18 year old, and it's a terribly disappointing whisky - especially considering the price and hype around it.

spankmeister posted:

In better news: buddy of mine was in the US on business and scored me a bottle of Jefferson Rye. :)

I've tried my share of rye whiskies, and the one I keep coming back to is good ol' Jefferson Rye. It's really fantastic stuff, and pretty cheap considering it's 100% rye, which is a major pain in the rear end for distillers to do.