Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Gotta tell you, voiceofdog, I feel like if someone played that brain thing fight song on a guitar it'd sound like a Megadeth song. :rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

:gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk:

You're gonna give a guy a heart attack, you know that right?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

:gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk:

You're gonna give a guy a heart attack, you know that right?

Don't worry, he's got the Bird Powerup, those are friendly birds, like Wait Reaction birds in Valkyrie Profile.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

FeyerbrandX posted:

Don't worry, he's got the Bird Powerup, those are friendly birds, like Wait Reaction birds in Valkyrie Profile.

Unfortunately he can still interact with them, and the only interaction birds have in Ninja Gaiden is to knock you into pits.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

unpronounceable posted:

If you haven't played the game a bunch, then tried flip mode, you really don't understand how, almost disorienting it can be. In the video it may look like plain clumsiness, but it really does mess with how well you're able to play. The only thing is that the worse you are at the game, the less it affects you.

Disorienting? Try violent nausea inducing. I actually can't even watch Phiggle's final video without feeling ill. You're probably wondering just how experienced you need to be at VVVVVV for Flip Mode to elicit this kind of response. Well...

If you just can't get enough of VVVVVV then fear not. Completing the main game opens up a host of new gameplay modes. Those looking for a challenge can turn towards Time Trials and work towards attaining V ranks on each stage. Those looking for a good bout of nausea need look no farther than the unreasnably disorienting Flip Mode. Those looking for an exciting new addiction should give the Super Gravitron a whirl.

And for all the loving weirdos out there, for all the lunatics who just can't get enough of absurd difficulty in video games, VVVVVV presents No Death Mode. It's always there on the Play Modes menu laughing in your face. It's even got an entire room dedicated to it in the Secret Lab! But I suspect most players hardly give it a second glance. As it turns out, I just happen to be a total loving weirdo when it comes to hard video games. A few months ago this manifested in a deep dive into VVVVVV for a couple of weeks, ultimately resulting in:

VVVVVV No Death Mode Clear

Phiggle
Apr 26, 2007

And so, having defeated the nefarious Psy-Crow, our hero, Earthworm Jim, wins back the heart of the lovely COW
Holy poo poo. I was hoping this was the surprise you were getting at early in the thread! Thank you for this.

Sorry about the nausea :shobon:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

thevoiceofdog posted:

Let's keep things rolling.

When the giant London sewer rats showed up I was vaguely saddened that a Great Mouse Detective reference never materialized. :v:

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Let's shoot some aliens in the laboratory! Except that's only a quarter of the level. The rest is something else for some reason. I kind of feel like I've been lied to... but that upgraded Crush gun kind of makes up for it.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
All of this Contra talk made me fire up Hard Corps: Uprising, the not-Contra Contra game Konami put out on PSN/XBL a while back. It's a great game, and hard as hell. I think it got sadly overlooked when it came out, but I just don't have the skill to show it off here. Anyone in this thread who may have missed it should definitely check it out.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

pignition posted:

All of this Contra talk made me fire up Hard Corps: Uprising, the not-Contra Contra game Konami put out on PSN/XBL a while back. It's a great game, and hard as hell. I think it got sadly overlooked when it came out, but I just don't have the skill to show it off here. Anyone in this thread who may have missed it should definitely check it out.

Was there any particular reason they thought it was a good idea to not put Contra in the title of their Contra game? And speaking of downloadable contra games, how is Rebirth?

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
This is just my opinion but I found Contra Rebirth kind of lacking. Something just didn't click for me.

Castlevania: The Adventure: Rebirth: Subtitles on the other hand might be one of my favorite Castlevania games, no lie.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

Ambitious Spider posted:

Was there any particular reason they thought it was a good idea to not put Contra in the title of their Contra game? And speaking of downloadable contra games, how is Rebirth?

I'm not sure about why they didn't use the name. It's definitely a Contra game though. It even plays the theme when you hit start on the title screen. It does have a very anime art style, so maybe they were trying to branch it out as a separate series.

No clue about Rebirth. I haven't played it, but I don't remember hearing much praise.

m4444
Oct 27, 2012

Wait, this is possible?!?!? Pretty sure I've only heard of it being done in a TAS, so....congratulations? Extremely impressive, at any rate. V ranks in time trial are the best I could do. And a 30 second super gravitron run, which I maintain as one of my greatest accomplishments ever. But again, and for real this time, congratulations! I can only imagine how you felt as you fell through space at the end.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Is Pid Hard?

Apparently, because that's all I could find being criticised about it when it came out. The difficulty curve is steeper than you'd expect, especially from the art style; it certainly gets quite challenging at parts, and the back half of the game is fairly demanding, fairly often. It was the hardest platformer I played last year; if the normal mode isn't enough for you, I'm also going to show off the hard mode, which I have, as of current writing, not yet completed.

So how's this gonna work?

I'll put up a video of each level on normal mode and the previous level on hard mode with each update. So just the one video now, and then the second level will have the first on hard, etc. The early hard mode levels have enemies from far later in the game, so if you want to see everything the game has to offer in order, you'll probably want to watch one all the way through, then the other.

Also, I suck at making banners, so you get your links in text form.

Normal Mode

01. The Castle Caves
02. The Attic
03. The Dining Halls
04. The Sitting Room
05. The Dormitory
06. The Library
07. Rooftop City
08. The Factory
09. The Workshop
10. Maze
11. The Kitchen
12. The Catacombs
13. Backstage
14. Stages
15. The Farms
16. Moon Thelma
17. The Stronghold
18. The Moon Centre

Hard Mode

01. The Castle Caves
02. The Attic
03. The Dining Halls
04. The Sitting Room
05. The Dormitory
06. The Library
07. Rooftop City
08. The Factory
09. The Workshop
10. The Workshop
11. The Kitchen
12. The Catacombs
13. Backstage
14. Stages
15. Easy Mode
16. Moon Thelma
17. Finale

Bonus

01. The Crook's Revenge
02. Ken's Komeback

Pid is available for a paltry $10 on Steam (Windows and OSX), and however much on PSN and XBLA. And for a further $10, you can get the deluxe version of the game from the game's website. You should totally get this game because it's awesome.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jul 25, 2014

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

Ambitious Spider posted:

There's a 2010 interview with the game's producer on Siliconera that kinda answers this:

Kenji Yamamoto posted:

The game is really inspired by Contra: Hard Corps. Many Contra fans realize Contra: Hard Corps is a little bit far from the regular Contra franchise. Since we’re going to link it to Contra: Hard Corps we could make this into a brand new franchise.

They might've also dropped the name since aesthetically it's very un-Contra, and the goal of the game is to take down a corrupt government run by anime clowns instead of fighting back an alien invasion force.

Zellus fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 29, 2013

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

Over half way there!

:siren: World 7 :siren:

In this world precision platforming is the key to success. We also encounter another loop level and even more wind.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Update

Welcome to the Jungle, folks. It's gonna be a long stay.

Jungle: Ray

Jungle: Fang

dumb art by me

You guys want to play along and vote for a choice, or shall I go ahead and show both paths off?

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

Love this so far, It's one of those games that just didn't really stand out enough for me to pick it up apparently, but I love what I see so far. How long is the game, tempting to pick it up on the PSN or steam if it's controller compatible.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

BottledBacon posted:

Love this so far, It's one of those games that just didn't really stand out enough for me to pick it up apparently, but I love what I see so far. How long is the game, tempting to pick it up on the PSN or steam if it's controller compatible.

It's perfectly (for me, results may vary, apparently) controller compatible; the only thing it has an issue with on that front is bad labelling of button names. The controller should default everything nicely, but if it doesn't, you need to set them yourself, and instead of "A, B, X, Y", it has "JB04, JB05, etc." or something similar for its button names. It's a little weird, but basically, as long as you know/remember what buttons will do what, you're fine.

As for length, my first playthrough shows a little under 10 hours, with just under 500 deaths, so take that as you will. Since the launch, they also added 72 (if I recall correctly) challenge rooms outside of the game (and the easy mode for the babies who criticised it for being too hard on release), which are loving brutal to get good times in. And the hard mode is another thing altogether; after I get a video for my other LP done, I'll be getting to the next one of this to show that, because the jump in difficulty is astounding.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zeikier posted:

Update

Welcome to the Jungle, folks. It's gonna be a long stay.

Jungle: Ray

Jungle: Fang

dumb art by me

You guys want to play along and vote for a choice, or shall I go ahead and show both paths off?

That boss must be Seven Force's retarded brother.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I say take one path with Pussy-rear end guile ripoff and rip it hard corps style with fang on the other.

Herb Stencil
Oct 22, 2012

Bonafide Homosaxual

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I say take one path with Pussy-rear end guile ripoff and rip it hard corps style with fang on the other.

This is clearly the best and raddest choice! :bang:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I forgot that all the robots in this game need to do completely arbitrary and dumb stuff like dancing back and forth or walking on their tiny little propeller.
But yeah, that is by far the most tedious and annoying boss in the game. And that last phase of it has obnoxious amounts of health. Previous bosses just melted with the Psychic Blast or whatever that was.

And if it's not too much trouble, I guess I'll vote the same as the above two posts.

dis astranagant posted:

That boss must be Seven Force's retarded brother.

Ok I'm convinced, someone has to do a full playthrough of Alien Soldier without ever dying just so we can see what tedious and long boss fights are truly like.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

frozentreasure posted:

Is Pid Hard?

Apparently, because that's all I could find being criticised about it when it came out.

Having played some of Pid (2 hours according to Steam), I did find it to be very hard, but not in very interesting ways. The jumps require a lot of precision, but the "excursion funnels" you can throw down (using the Portal 2 term, since that's basically what they are) have really fiddly hit detection. When you're in a funnel you have very little control, which tends to result in a lot of "I can see this death coming and there's nothing I can do about it." The collectibles can only be spent on consumable items and extra hitpoints (normally you die in one hit; you lose the extra hitpoint if you get one-shotted e.g. via a pit, too) -- and the consumable items are also used in puzzles, in which case you're handed an unlimited supply anyway; this makes 100%ing unrewarding. It also means that the consumables are normally limited, which penalizes experimenting with them.

As a general rule, I kind of felt like having the ability to negate gravity in a specific area ought to allow you to do really awesome things in a platforming game, but here it doesn't. The implementation felt intentionally constricted to limit the player's opportunities to break free; the character's basic movement abilities were likewise too limited to really take advantage. I like games where the player's skill makes them feel powerful (not necessarily in a destructive sense); here at best you can hope for seems to be "basically competent" and the baseline is "painfully clumsy". That's not a good thing.

The game has an interesting setting, its aesthetics and writing are competently executed, they did a multiplatform release...I just didn't have fun.

EDIT:

HGH posted:

Ok I'm convinced, someone has to do a full playthrough of Alien Soldier without ever dying just so we can see what tedious and long boss fights are truly like.
There's a TAS of Alien Soldier that chews through Seven Force (and everything else, naturally) gratifyingly quickly.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 30, 2013

Phiggle
Apr 26, 2007

And so, having defeated the nefarious Psy-Crow, our hero, Earthworm Jim, wins back the heart of the lovely COW
>> :siren: THE LATEST :siren: <<
Wily 4: Final Farce

What this game and LP are about

A couple of years ago, Dectilon introduced me and the Mega Man threads to Minus Infinity, a romhack of Rockman 4 by PureSabe and (now?) some other hackers that defies description. It's especially hard in the beginning, as you take on fully modified and expansive stages with minibosses, colossal enemies, and practically the entire cast of Mega Man and Rockman World mooks. It gets easier once you start picking up the wholly modified boss weapons and possibly secret items (see the table below), but it's a stretch to call the game anything other than hard - invincibility time is lowered and levels are designed with surprising traps and gimmicks.

"I watched the old stuff (or didn't) and don't want to sit through all of it to get started. Just give me the gist of it."
At the time we first recorded it, the game was in beta - the fortress stages hadn't been finalized yet, so we weren't able to make videos for certain levels. Well, the 0.01 version is here, complete through to the ending. I'll be taking the controls starting at the first new stage, Cossack 4. Feel free to watch the highlight reel below to get a feel for the game. Our playthroughs from before of the mostly-intact beta stages are also linked, most of which feature Dectilon's super skills. (Watch my run of Cossack 3 at your own peril.)

(note: will probably convince you to watch the rest/get the game)

:megaman: THE ARSENAL :megaman:

The weapons and powerups in this game are ridiculous. They get demonstrated a lot, since the buster is probably the weakest weapon in the game, but for the sake of completion:

[IMG]http://lpix.org/1197012/rockbustericon.png][/IMG]

:megaman: THE TUNES :megaman:

This game has a diverse and expanded soundtrack. Go here if you want to see the sources and hear the originals. Be aware it's a comprehensive list, so the names of levels we haven't covered yet will be in there. Scroll gently! Also, there are some other spoilers if you click onto other pages on the site. (Under "Secrets" for example, but you could have figured that out.)

:megaman: THE VIDEOS :megaman:

Ring Man, played by Phiggle

Dive Man, played by Dectilon

Drill Man, played by Dectilon

Toad Man, played by Phiggle

Skull Man, played by Dectilon

Dust Man, played by Dectilon

Bright Man, played by Phiggle

Pharaoh Man, played by Dectilon

Cossack 1: Blizzard Sky, played by Dectilon

Cossack 2: Laboratory Maze, played by Dectilon

Cossack 3: Purification Plant, aka "Phiggle's Bizarre Adventure" aka sorry this took an hour

HIGHLIGHTS up to Cossack 3

Cossack 4: Four Towers

Wily 1: Fatal Miscalculation, beta version, played by Dectilon

Wily 1: Fatal Miscalculation, 0.01 version, played by Phiggle

Wily 2: Rushed Out Products, beta version, played by Dectilon

Wily 2: Rushed Out Products, 0.01 version, played by Phiggle

Beta Version Extras

Wily 3: Wily's Labyrinth - Part 1

Wily 3: Wily's Labyrinth - Part 2

Wily 4: Final Farce

Phiggle fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 9, 2013

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"
Minus Infinity looks like it'd be a hell of a contribution to this thread, haha. I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with it, myself. I particularly enjoy the "Bosses get harder when their health gets low" functionality quite a bit. On the flipside, I really really don't like the boss music they put in. I wasn't really a fan of MM4's boss music to begin with, but I would vastly prefer it over what they put in for Minus Infinity.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Zeikier posted:

I'd like to see both paths as both characters. It's always fun to watch a normal run with Ray, but then we(and you) get the catharsis of a wolfman in shades blowing things away before they get to move.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
Yes! The epic conclusion to one of the best Mega Man rom hacks out there is finally here! I will be watching this tread closely for the conclusion of this wonderful game.

And the metric ton of Contra and Contra related videos as well.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Do you keep the Killer weapon that you go into the Cossack fight with for the rest of the game?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I cannot wait for HideofBeast to release buster-only runs of the rest of RMI. I've seen youtube videos of the other levels, it's bonkers. The thread is in for a treat.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Daw, I skimmed 134 posts (I'm moving into my new home, have no Internet or time, and have my Accounting final tomorrow), and it looks like people are beating me to posting a Contra Hard Corps playthrough. drat you Hard Games thread! Anyway, final is tomorrow, so hoping I can post the last Contra 3 (aka best Contra) video on Wednesday, sorry for the delay.

Edit: Maybe there's room for a ... Uh, not Ray/Fang character playthrough when I'm done with C3?

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Minus Infinity's Engrishy cutscene remind me a lot of Hydorah, in a good way.

How is this hacker cramming all this stuff in? He has a lot more room to work with with a ROM?

Byde posted:

I would like to play R-Type I and II for this thread, but unfortunately my voice sucks. I've basically mastered both games (except for R-Type II's second loop) and could easily do one-loop no-death runs for each.

Speaking of which, R-Type and other older shmups send you back to the beginning of the stage or checkpoint when you die, so it's far easier to practice those games than modern shmups which forego the concept entirely.

And we've already dealt with one of the hardest Irem had to offer (Metal Storm's Expert Mode). Only Image Fight's second loop has anything in comparison to that.

It's not IREM, but I'd love to see someone do Gaiares for the Genesis (you may know the developer from such Sega CD classics/retsulongpuraes such as Time Gal and Road Avenger). I'm certainly no shmup expert, but if I'm good enough that if I can't get past Stage TWO your game might be too drat hard.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

slowbeef posted:

Daw, I skimmed 134 posts (I'm moving into my new home, have no Internet or time, and have my Accounting final tomorrow), and it looks like people are beating me to posting a Contra Hard Corps playthrough. drat you Hard Games thread! Anyway, final is tomorrow, so hoping I can post the last Contra 3 (aka best Contra) video on Wednesday, sorry for the delay.

Edit: Maybe there's room for a ... Uh, not Ray/Fang character playthrough when I'm done with C3?

The Robot is the only one left if you feel like you're up for his shenanigans.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Discendo Vox posted:

I cannot wait for HideofBeast to release buster-only runs of the rest of RMI. I've seen youtube videos of the other levels, it's bonkers. The thread is in for a treat.

Did Violen said he was going to work more on RMI?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Shindragon posted:

Did Violen said he was going to work more on RMI?

I don't know who Violen is, is that HideofBeast? Is he on the forums? Can I get his autograph? :allears: He does things with mega man games and restrictions that I've only read about in the Kama Sutra.

In the massive textdump level design reviews accompanying his youtube playthrough of the previous version of RMI(careful, it has spoilers through Wily 2), HideofBeast said he'd do the rest when it was released.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 30, 2013

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Anyone have some idea of what all the special music used in Rockman RMI is? Pharaoh man's stage is an 8-bit version of this, for example. Cossack's 2 sounds really familiar, but I can't place it.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Buried alive posted:

Anyone have some idea of what all the special music used in Rockman RMI is? Pharaoh man's stage is an 8-bit version of this, for example. Cossack's 2 sounds really familiar, but I can't place it.
Bright Man's music is Silence from the F-Zero games.

Discendo Vox posted:

I don't know who Violen is, is that HideofBeast? Is he on the forums? Can I get his autograph? :allears: He does things with mega man games and restrictions that I've only read about in the Kama Sutra.
Violen on these forums is the same person as HideofBeast on Youtube.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

slowbeef posted:

Want me to leave the C/D Ending paths open for you, or could I just show those levels off as Ray and Fang while you do your thing as well?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Buried alive posted:

Someone else collected all the sources. One of my favourite tracks in it is Diveman's Stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Zain posted:

The Robot is the only one left if you feel like you're up for his shenanigans.

Yeah, finish up Contra 3, then Do The RobotTM. In one video, because that would be neat.

• Locked thread